Bonhomme Richard is the French equivalent of "Poor Richard." John Paul Jones gave the famous ship this name in honor of Benjamin Franklin.
(Fr: T. 998; l. 152'; b. 40'; dph. 19'; cpl. 375; a. 28 12-pdr. S. B., 6 18-pdr. S. B., 8 9-pdr. S. B.)
The first Bonhomme Richard, formerly Duc de Durae, was a frigate built in France for the East India Co., in 1765, for service between France and the Orient. She was placed at the disposal of John Paul Jones 4 February 1779 by the French King and renamed Bonhomme Richard.
On 19 June 1779 Bonhomme Richard sailed from L'Orient accompanied by Alliance, Pallas, Vengeance, and Cerf with troop transports and merchant vessels under convoy to Bordeaux and to cruise against the British in the Bay of B iscay. Forced to return to port for repair, the squadron sailed again 14 August 1779. Going northwest around the west coast of the British Isles into the North Sea and then down the east coast the squadron took 16 merchant vessels as prizes.
On 23 September 1779 they encountered the Baltic Fleet of 41 sail under convoy of HMS Serapis (44) and Countess of Scarborough (22) near Flamborough Head. After 1800 Bonhomme Richard engaged Serapis and a bitter engagement e nsued during the next four hours before Serapis struck her colors. Bonhomme Richard, shattered, on fire, and leaking badly defied all efforts to save her and sank at 1100 on 25 September 1779. John Paul Jones sailed the captured Se rapis to Holland for repairs.
A 3713-ton Ammonoosuc class screw frigate authorized in 1864 was assigned the name Bon Homme Richard but the vessel was never built.
On 26 September 1942 the name of CV-10 was changed from Bon Homme Richard to Yorktown (q. v.).
(CV-31: dp. 27,100; l.872'; b. 147'6"; dr. 28'7"; s. 33 k.; cpl. 3448; a. 12 5"; cl. Essex)
The second Bon Homme Richard (CV-31) was launched 29 April 1944 by New York Navy Yard sponsored by Mrs. J. S. McCain, wife of Vice Admiral McCain, and commissioned 26 November 1944, Captain A. O. Rule, Jr., in command.
Bon Homme Richard departed Norfolk 19 March 1945 to join the Pacific Fleet and arrived at Pearl Harbor 5 April 1945. Following additional training in Hawaiian waters, the carrier joined TF 38 off Okinawa 6 June 1945. During 7-10 June she joined in the attacks on Okino Daito Jima and then served with the 3rd Fleet during the air strikes against Japan (2 July-15 August). She remained off Japan until 16 September and after a short training period off Guam, proceeded to San Francisco, arriving 20 Oc tober. She left San Francisco 29 October and steamed to Pearl Harbor to undergo conversion for troop transport duty. From 8 November 1945 to 16 January 1946 she made trans-Pacific voyages, returning servicemen to the United States. Bon Homme Richard then reported to Puget Sound Naval Shipyard for inactivation and was placed out of commission in reserve 9 January 1947.
Bon Homme Richard was recommissioned 15 January 1961 and on 10 May departed San Diego for the Far East. She joined TF 77 off Korea on 29 May and launched her first air strikes 31 May. Bon Homme Richard continued operations with TF 77 unti l 20 November 1951. The carrier reached San Diego in mid-December and on 20 May 1952 was off again to the Far East. She joined TF 77 once more on 23 June and took part in the heavy strikes against the North Korean power complex (24-25 June) and the amphib ious feint at Kojo (12-16 October). She continued operations against North Korean targets until 18 December 1952 and then steamed to San Francisco where she arrived 8 January 1953. Her classification was changed from CV-31 to CVA-31, 1 October 1952.
Bon Homme Richard went out of commission 15 May 1953 preparatory to modernization. When recommissioned 6 September 1955, she had an angled and strengthened flight deck, enclosed bow, enlarged elevators, and steam catapults. She completed her con version period 31 October 1955 and commenced sea trials in the Alameda-San Diego area. Bon Homme Richard has since continued to serve with the Pacific Fleet and has made two tours of the Far East.
Bon Homme Richard received one battle star for her World War II service and five battle stars for participation in the Korean conflict.
Bonita is a species of fish allied to the mackerel.
(Sch: T. 74; l. 68'6"; b. 19'; dr. 6'; cpl. ca. 30; a. 1 18-pdr. S. B.; cl. Bonita)
The first Bonita, a schooner, was built in 1846 by Brown and Bell, New York, N. Y. Intended for the Mexican Navy, she was purchased by the United States in May 1846 following the outbreak of the Mexican War and commissioned about 30 May, Lieutenant H. Y. Purviance in command.
Bonita reported to the Home Squadron at Anton Lizardo, Mexico, 28 July 1846 and saw very active service along the Mexican coast. She took part in the second attack on Alvarado (15 October 1846); 1st Tabasco Expedition (16-27 October); capture of Tampico (14 November); capture of Laguna del Carmen, Yucatan (20 December); Veracruz landings (9 March 1847); Veracruz bombardment (22-23 March); capture of Alvarado and Alvarado River Expedition (1-2 April); Tuxpan capture (18 April); occupation of Fron tera (19 May); and the 2nd Tabasco Expedition (14-22 June). Bonita also took six prizes. She remained on the Mexican blockade until returning to Norfolk during the summer of 1848. She was sold there 15 October 1848.
The second Bonita (SS-15) was renamed C-4 (q. v.) 17 November 1911.
SP-540, a 46-foot motorboat of 1917-18, was also known as Bonita.
(SF-6: dp. 2000; l. 341'6"; b. 27'7"; dr. 15'11"; s. 18.8 k.; cpl. 56; a. 1 5", 6 21" TT.; cl. B)
The third Bonita (SF-6) was launched 9 June 1925 as V-3 by Portsmouth Navy Yard; sponsored by Mrs. L. R. DeSteiguer, wife of Rear Admiral DeSteiguer; and commissioned 22 May 1926, Lieutenant Commander C. A. Lockwood, Jr., in command.
Assigned to Submarine Division 20, V-3 cruised along the east coast and in the Caribbean until November 1927. With her division, she then transferred to the Pacific arriving at San Diego 17 December 1927. After service with Submarine Divisions 2 0 and 12 along the Pacific coast and off Hawaii, she joined Submarine Division 15 of the Rotating Reserve at Mare Island Navy Yard 1 June 1932. She was renamed Bonita 9 March 1931 and reclassified SS-165, 1 July 1931.
Bonita rejoined Submarine Division 12 in September 1933 and cruised in Caribbean, west coast, and Hawaiian
waters through 1936. She departed San Diego 20 January 1937 and arrived at Philadelphia Navy Yard 18 February. She was placed out of commission in reserve at Philadelphia 4 June 1937.
Recommissioned 5 September 1940, she departed New London, Conn., 17 November 1940 for Coco Solo, C. Z. Bonita patrolled in the Pacific, off Panama, until she returned to Philadelphia for overhaul in October 1942. Patrolling off the Maine coast u ntil mid-1943, she then joined Submarine Division 13, Submarine Squadron 1, on training duty out of New London. She remained on that duty until February 1945. Arriving at Philadelphia Navy Yard 17 February 1945, she was decommissioned 3 March and sold 28 October 1945.
(SSK-3: dp. 765; l. 196'1"; b. 24'7"; dr. 14'5"; s. 13 k.; cpl. 37; cl. Bass)
The original contract for construction of Bonita (SSK-3) was let to New York Shipbuilding Corp., Camden, N. J., but later transferred to Mare Island Naval Shipyard. She was launched as K-3, 21 June 1951; sponsored by Mrs. J. S. Clark, wid ow of Commander Clark; commissioned 11 January 1952, Lieutenant Commander E. E. Hopley in command; and reported to the Pacific Fleet.
K-3 joined Submarine Squadron 7 at Pearl Harbor 15 May 1952 and has since operated on experimental and normal submarine duties, making a cruise to Alaskan waters in August-September 1956. She was renamed Bonita 15 December 1955.
Bonita, Point see Point Bonita
Boone County (LST-389) see LST-389
Bootes is a constellation.
(AR-99: dp. 4356; l. 441'6"; b. 56'11"; dr. 28'4"; s. 12.5 k.; cpl. 198; a. 1 5", 1 3"; cl. Crater)
Bootes (AK-99) was launched 16 May 1943 as Thomas Oliver Larkin by California Shipbuilding Corp., Wilmington, Calif., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. N. Toulain transferred to the Navy 29 May 1943, commissio ned i5 July 1943, Lieutenant Commander H. P. Bacon, USNR, in command; and reported to the Pacific Fleet.
Bootes made two cargo runs from the west coast to Espiritu Santo, New Hebrides, and Australia between 28 August 1943 and 6 February 1944. Thereafter, she carried cargo from Brisbane, Australia, to New Guinea the Admiralties, and the Philippines. During 23 April-16 May 1944 she took part in the landings at Aitape, New Guinea. Bootes left Brisbane 23 August 1945; arrived in the Philippines 3 September; departed for Seattle 27 November, and arrived there 31 December 1945. She was decommissio ned 22 April 1946 and returned to the Maritime Commission 11 September 1947.
Bootes received one battle star during World War II.
Born in Hickory, N. C., 25 January 1915, Robert Sinclair Booth, Jr., enlisted in the Naval Reserve in 1940. He graduated from the Naval Reserve Midshipman's School on board Illinois (ex-BB-7) 14 November 1940. Ensign Booth was killed while s erving on Arizona (BB-39) during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor 7 December 1941.
(DE-170: dp. 1240; l. 306'; b. 36'8"; dr. 11'8"; s. 21 k. cpl. 186; a. 3 3", 3 21" TT.; cl. Cannon)
Booth (DE-170) was launched 21 June 1943 by Federal Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Newark, N. J., sponsored by Mrs. R. S. Booth, mother of Ensign Booth; and commissioned 19 September 1943, Lieutenant Commander D. W. Todd in command.
From 1 to 17 December 1943, following her shakedown Booth carried out experiments for the Naval Research Laboratory, Anacostia, D. C. She then reported for trans-Atlantic convoy duty and between 1 January 1944 and 7 May 1945 she made eight cross ings, escorting convoys to the Mediterranean. She departed for the Pacific 28 May 1945 and arrived at Pearl Harbor 2 July after stops at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and San Francisco. Departing Pearl Harbor 15 July she steamed to Saipan arriving 26 July. After a convoy run to Iwo Jima Booth departed for Ulithi, Caroline Islands, from where she escorted two convoys to Okinawa (12 August-8 September 1945).
She departed Ulithi 8 September with a party of Americans and Japanese aboard to secure the surrender of Japanese-held islands in the western Carolines. Leaving Ulithi again on 21 September she carried passengers to Saipan and Guam and then embarked Li eutenant Colonel L. D. Spurlock, USMC, and party. Booth carried her passengers to Truk, Caroline Islands, and assisted them in evacuating Japanese from Puluwat and Momoi and preparing for the arrival of American occupation forces. She returned to G uam 7 November 1945 and the following day departed for the east coast via Pearl Harbor, San Diego, and the Panama Canal.
Booth was decommissioned 4 March 1946 at Green Cove Springs, Fla., preparatory to sale. Removed from the sale list in May 1951, she has remained at Green Cove Springs in reserve.
Boothbay (No. 1708) see Grampus (No. 1708}
Born in San Antonio, Tex., 15 December 1920, William James Bordelon enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1941. Staff Sergeant Bordelon was killed in action on Tarawa 20 November 1943. He was posthumously awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor.
(DD-881: dp. 2425; l. 390'6"; b. 40'10"; dr. 19'; s. 35 k.; cpl. 355; a. 6 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Gearing)
Bordelon (DD-881) was launched 3 March 1945 by Consolidated Steel Corp., Ltd., Orange, Tex., sponsored by Mrs. W. J. Bordelon, mother of Staff Sergeant Bordelon; and commissioned 5 June 1945, Commander M. J. Lyosey in command.
Until November 1945 Bordelon underwent shakedown and training along the east coast and in the Caribbean. She departed Norfolk 7 November and reported to Commander, Destroyers, Pacific Fleet, at Pearl Harbor 28 November. She immediately proceeded to Kure, Japan, arriving in December. She operated in the area as a part of the occupation force until March 1946. She was then assigned to TF 77 based in the Marianas. During this tour she made several extended cruises to Hong Kong; Manila, Philippine I slands; Shanghai and Tsingtao, China; Sasebo, Japan; and Okinawa. She returned to the United States in December 1946.
Bordelon returned to the east coast in January 1947 and was assigned to Destroyer Squadron 14. She was ordered to Plymouth, England, in September 1947 and became a unit of the Northern European Task Force. She returned to the United States in Fe bruary 1948.
Since then Bordelon has carried out the normal operating schedule of Atlantic Fleet ships. She has served four tours of duty with the 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean; conducted five midshipmen training cruises in
European waters; and made several voyages to the Caribbean. In addition she has participated in local operations and type training along the eastern seaboard.
Boreas is the north wind personified as a god in Greek mythology.
(AF-8: dp. 4654; l. 416'10"; b. 53'2"; dr. 26'5"; s. 11 k.; cpl. 244; a. 2 5"; cl. Arctic)
Boreas (AF-8) was launched in 1919 as Yaquina by Moore Shipbuilding Co., Oakland, Calif., for the Shipping Board; transferred to the Navy 6 December 1921; laid up in reserve at Philadelphia Navy Yard until 1940; commissioned in ordinary 6 August 1940; outfitted at Todd-Robbins Dry Dock and Repair Co., Brooklyn, N. Y.; and fully commissioned 24 March 1941, Commander G. M. O'Rear in command.
Boreas joined the Base Force, Pacific Fleet 1 May 1941 for duty as a storeship. Between 15 June 1941 and 9 December 1942 she completed ten trips between San Francisco and Pearl Harbor. Between January 1943 and August 1945 Boreas made seve n more voyages into the Pacific. During this time she carried out logistic missions to the Hawaiian, Marshall, Caroline, Marianas, Solomon, Admiralty, Volcano, and New Hebrides Islands. She also visited New Zealand, New Caledonia, and Okinawa.
With the cessation of hostilities Boreas made one voyage in support of the Far Eastern occupation of Okinawa and Japan, remaining there until 20 November 1945. She then returned to the United States, arriving at Norfolk 19 January 1946. The ship was decommissioned 15 February 1946 and sold through the Maritime Commission 18 July 1946.
Borers are any of the insects or larvae which bore, particularly the shipworm.
(Galley: T. ca. 70; l. 75'; b. 15'; dph. 4'; cpl. ca. 40; a. 1 24-pdr. S. B., 1 18-pdr. S. B.; cl. Burrows)
The galley Borer (sometimes referred to as Boxer) was launched about 1814 by Adam and Noah Brown Vergennes, Vt., and commissioned later in the year, Midshipman T. A. Conover in command. She took part in the Battle of Lake Champlain 11 September 1814 and was laid up at the end of the War of 1812. She was sold at Whitehall, N. Y., in 1825.
Borgne, Lake see Lake Borgne
Adolph Edward Borie was born in Philadelphia, Pa., 25 November 1809. He was a successful merchant and served as Secretary of the Navy (5 March-22 June 1869) in the cabinet of President U. S. Grant. Mr. Borie died in Philadelphia 5 February 1880.
(DD-215: dp. 1215; l. 314'4"; b. 31'9"; dr. 9'10"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 122; a. 4 4", 1 3", 12 21" TT.; cl. Clemson)
The first Borie (DD-215) was launched 4 October 1919 by William Cramp and Sons Ship and Engine Building Co., Philadelphia, Pa.; sponsored by Miss Patty Borie great-grandniece of Secretary Borie; and commissioned 24 March 1920, Lieutenant Command er E. F. Clement in command.
In April 1920 Borie-joined the United States Naval Detachment in Turkish Waters for service in the Black Sea. The following year she reported to Destroyer Division 38, Asiatic Fleet, and for the next four years alternated between the Philippine Islands, during the winter and Chefoo and Shanghai, China, during the summer. She then returned home and patrolled in the Caribbean until the spring of 1927 when she made a cruise to Europe. Borie remained with the Atlantic Fleet until 1929 when sh e began a three-year tour with the Asiatic Fleet.
Following conversion to a Squadron Leader at San Diego (1932-33) she joined Destroyer Squadron 2, Battle Force. She remained in the Pacific on normal destroyer duty until late 1939 and then transited the Panama Canal to join the Neutrality Patrol. She served on the Inshore Patrol, 15th Naval District, in Panama Bay, and later on patrol and escort in the Caribbean. The destroyer departed the Caribbean 26 June 1943 and on 30 July put to sea as a member of the hunter-killer group built around Card (CVE-11). Borie made four patrols with the Card group. On 1 November 1943, during the last patrol, she rammed and sank the surfaced German submarine U-405 in 49°00' N., 31°14' W. With 27 men lost and too badly damaged by the collision to be towed to port, Borie was sunk by Barry (DD-248) 2 November 1943.
Borie (DD-215) received three battle stars for her World War II service as well as the Presidential Unit Citation for her operations in the Card group.
(DD-704: dp. 2200; l. 376'6"; b. 40'10"; dr. 19'; s. 34 k.; cpl. 345; a. 6 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Allen M. Sumner)
The second Borie (DD-704) was launched 4 July 1944 by Federal Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Kearny, N. J.; sponsored by Mrs. A. Nalle; and commissioned 21 September 1944, Commander N. Adair, Jr., in command.
Borie joined the Pacific Fleet, arriving at Pearl Harbor 4 January 1945. She took part in the Iwo Jima bombardment (24 January) and invasion (19-23 February). After joining TF 58 she participated in the Tokyo raids (16-17 and 25 February), Okina wa raid (1 March), and the raids in support of the occupation of Okinawa (17 March-14 May). During 9 July-9 August she served with TF 38 in its raids on the Japanese home islands. On 9 August a Japanese suicide plane crashed into Borie's superstruc ture between the mast and the 5-inch gun director causing extensive damage, killing 48 men, and wounding 66.
The damaged destroyer returned to Saipan and Pearl Harbor for temporary repairs and on 10 September entered dry dock at Hunter's Point, Calif., for permanent repairs. Repairs completed on 20 November, she departed San Diego 4 February 1946 to join the Atlantic Fleet. Since that time Borie has remained in the Atlantic Fleet, except for one cruise to Korea (6 September 1950-9 June 1951) during which she served with TF 77 and took part in the Hungnam Evacuation.
Borie has made five European and Mediterranean cruises. During her last cruise (28 July-4 December 1956) she assisted in the evacuation of American nationals and United Nations truce teams from Haifa, Israel, and Gaza, Egypt.
Borie received three battle stars for her World War II services and four battle stars for her participation in the Korean conflict.
Born in Norfolk, Va., 8 December 1907, John Randolph Borum was appointed a Lieutenant (junior grade), USNR, in 1942. Lieutenant (junior grade) Borum was killed in the wreck of a merchantman 20 July 1943 on which he was armed guard officer.
(DE-790: dp. 1400; l. 306'; b. 36'10"; dr. 13'6"; s. 24 k. cpl. 186; a. 3 3", 3 21" TT.; cl. John C. Butler)
Borum (DE-790) was launched 14 August 1943 by Consolidated Steel Corp., Ltd., Orange, Tex.; sponsored by Mrs. W. H. Ferguson, wife of Commander Ferguson; and
commissioned 30 November 1943, Lieutenant Commander J. K. Davis, USNR, in command.
Borum spent her entire World War II service in the Atlantic Fleet. Until March 1944 she served as an escort vessel along the east coast and in the Caribbean, as well as a training vessel in Chesapeake Bay. She departed New York 8 March 1944 for the British Isles to train for the coming invasion of Europe and to escort convoys between British ports. From 6 to 22 June 1944 she screened the convoys carrying troops and supplies from Britain to the Normandy beachhead.
For most of the next year Borum helped blockade the Channel Islands and protect the shipping headed for Cherbourg and Le Havre, France. She assisted British forces in their occupation of the Channel Islands (11-12 May 1945). Borum departe d Europe in June 1945 and, after a short period as a training vessel in Chesapeake Bay during July, she prepared to join the Pacific Fleet. Following the Japanese surrender her orders were canceled and she reverted to training duty with submarines operati ng out of New London, Conn., and then acted as plane guard for Croatan (CVE-25) and Solomons (CVE 67). In January 1946 she joined Escort Division 4, but on 28 March began inactivation at Charleston Naval Shipyard. She arrived at Green Cove S prings, Fla., 29 April and was placed out of commission 15 June 1946.
Borum received one battle star for her participation in the invasion of Normandy.
Bosque is a county in Texas.
(APA-135: dp. 6873; l. 455'; b. 62'; dr. 24'; s. 17.5 k.; cpl. 536; a. 1 5"; cl. Haskell)
Bosque (APA-135) was launched 28 October 1944 by California Shipbuilding Co., Wilmington, Calif., under a Maritime Commission contract, sponsored by Mrs. Donald F. Stace; transferred to the Navy 17 December 1944, and commissioned two days later, Captain H. C. Johnson in command.
Bosque joined the Pacific Fleet and arrived at Honolulu, T. H., 25 February 1945. She carried troops and cargo to Eniwetok, Marshall Islands; Saipan and Guam, Marianas Islands; and Ulithi, Caroline Islands (11 March-15 April 1945), before carryi ng reinforcements and supplies to Okinawa. After unloading at Okinawa (26-30 April) Bosque returned to San Francisco. She again sailed westward 7 May, via Eniwetok; Ulithi; New Guinea; and Noumea, New Caledonia, to the Philippines, arriving 27 July . There she conducted training exercises until 25 August when she got underway for Japan. Bosque put her passengers ashore at Yokosuka, Japan, 3 September and then returned to the Philippines. After one more voyage to Japan (22 September-3 October) she returned to San Francisco, via Guadalcanal, the Russell Islands, and Noumea, arriving 26 October 1945.
Decommissioned 15 March 1946, Bosque was returned to the Maritime Commission 22 March 1946.
Bosque received one battle star for her service in the Pacific.
Boston is the capital of Massachusetts.
(Gondola: cpl. 45; a. 1 18-pdr. S. B., 2 12-pdr. S. B.)
The gondola Boston was built at Skenesborough (present day Whitehall), N. Y., in 1776. She took part in the Battle of Lake Champlain that delayed the British invasion and was burned to avoid capture by the British squadron at Buttonmold Bay, N. Y., 13 October 1776.
(Fr.: T. 514; l. 114'3"; b. 32'; dph. 10'3"; s. 8.5 k; a. 5 12-pdr. S. B., 19 9-pdr. S. B., 2 6-pdr. S. B., 4 4-pdr. S. B.)
The second Boston, a 24-gun frigate, was launched 3 June 1776 by Stephen and Ralph Cross, Newburyport Mass., and completed the following year with Captain H. McNeill in command.
On 21 May 1777 Boston sailed in company with Hancock for a cruise in the North Atlantic. The two frigates captured three prizes including the 28-gun frigate HMS Fox (7 June). Boston, Hancock, and Fox wer e engaged (7-8 July) by HMS Flora, Rainbow, and Victor. Her consorts were taken by the British squadron. Boston escaped to the Sheepscot River on the Maine coast.
During 15 February-31 March 1778 Boston carried John Adams to France, capturing one prize enroute. She then cruised in European waters taking four prizes before returning to Portsmouth, N. H., 15 October. In 1779 she made two cruises (29 July-6 September and 23 November-23 December) in the North Atlantic capturing at least nine prizes. Boston then joined the squadron sent to assist in the defense of Charleston, S. C., and was captured there by the British when the town surrendered 12 May 1780.
(Fr.: T. 400; l. 134'; b. 34'6"; dr. 11'6"; cpl. 220; a. 26 12-pdr. S. B., 12 9-pdr. S. B.)
The third Boston, a 28-gun frigate, was built by public subscription in Boston under the Act of 30 June 1798. She was launched 20 May 1799 by Edmund Hartt, Boston Mass., and commissioned soon afterwards, Captain G. Little in command.
Boston cruised in the West Indies (July 1799-June 1800) protecting American commerce against French privateers. Returning to Boston 25 June 1800, she cruised along the American coast until September when she sailed to the Guadaloupe Station in t he West Indies. In 22°52' N., 52°56' W., 12 October 1800, she engaged and captured the small French frigate Le Berceau. Boston lost seven killed and eight wounded in the encounter. She towed her prize to Boston, arriving in November. During her West Indian cruises Boston captured seven additional prizes (two in conjunction with General Greene).
During the winter of 1801 Boston carried Minister Livingston to France and then joined the Mediterranean Squadron off Tripoli. She fought an action with six or seven Tripolitanian gunboats 16 May 1802, forcing one ashore. Boston returned to Boston in October 1802 and then proceeded to Washington where she was laid up. Considered not worth repairing on the outbreak of the War of 1812, she remained at Washington until 24 August 1814 when she was burned to prevent her falling into British ha nds.
(Sip: T. 700; l. 127'; b. 33'9"; dr. 16'; s. 11 k.; cpl. 125; a. 20 24-pdr. S. B.; cl. Boston)
The fourth Boston, an 18-gun sloop-of-war, was launched 15 October 1825 by Boston Navy Yard and commissioned the following year, Master Commandant B. V. Hoffman in command.
Boston served on the Brazil Station (1826-29) and Mediterranean Station (1830-32). She was then laid up at Boston Navy Yard until joining the West Indies Squadron in 1836. Except for two short periods in ordinary at New York Navy Yard she served continuously for the next ten years. Boston cruised on the West Indies (1836-39), East Indies (1841-43), and Brazil (1843-46) Stations, returning to the United States in 1846. She was then ordered to join Commodore D. Conner's Home Squadron blockading the Mexican east coast. While enroute to her new station Boston was wrecked on Eleuthera
Island, Bahamas, during a squall 15 November 1846. Although the sloop was a total loss, all hands were saved.
(C: dp. 3189; l. 283'; b. 42'; dr. 17'; s. 13 k.; cpl. 284; a. 2 8", 6 6"; cl. Boston)
The fifth Boston, a protected cruiser, was launched 4 December 1884 by John Roach and Sons, Chester, Pa., and commissioned 2 May 1887, Captain F. M. Ramsey in command.
Boston, being the second cruiser of the New Navy completed, was not ready for active service until 1888. She then made a cruise to Guatemala and Haiti to protect American citizens. She joined the Squadron of Evolution 30 September 1889 an d cruised to the Mediterranean and South America (7 December 1889-29 July 1890), and along the east coast in 1891. Boston departed New York 24 October 1891 for the Pacific, via Cape Horn, arriving at San Francisco 2 May 1892. Except for a cruise to protect American interests in Hawaii (11 August 1892-10 October 1893), she remained on the west coast until laid up at Mare Island Navy Yard 4 November 1893.
Recommissioned 15 November 1895, Boston joined the Asiatic Station at Yokohama, Japan, 25 February 1896. She remained in the Orient protecting American interests for the next four years and during the Spanish-American War took part in the Battle of Manila Bay (1 May 1898) and the capture of Manila (13 August 1898). She remained in the Philippines assisting in their pacification until 8 June 1899. Boston returned to San Francisco 9 August 1899 and went out of commission at Mare Island Navy Yard 15 September 1899. She remained out of commission until 11 August 1902 and then rejoined the Pacific Squadron. During 16-25 June 1905 she helped represent the Navy at the Lewis and Clark Exposition at Portland, Oreg., and between 23 April and 10 May 1906 she helped care for the victims of the San Francisco earthquake and fire. She went out of commission again at Puget Sound Navy Yard 10 June 1907.
From 15 June 1911 to September 1916 she served as a training vessel with the Oregon Naval Militia and was loaned to the Shipping Board (24 May 1917-June 1918). On 18 June 1918 she was recommissioned at Mare Island Navy Yard as a receiving ship and towe d to Yerba Buena Island, Calif., where she served as a receiving ship until 1946. She was renamed Despatch 9 August 1940 and reclassified IX-2, 17 February 1941. Despatch was towed to sea and sunk off San Francisco 8 April 1946.
(CA-9: dp. 13,600; l. 673'5"; b. 71'10"; dr. 26'10"; s. 33 k.; cpl. 1142; a. 9 8", 12 5"; cl. Baltimore)
The sixth Boston (CA-69) was launched 26 August 1942 by Bethlehem Steel Co., Fore River, Mass.; sponsored by Mrs. M. J. Tobin, wife of the Mayor of Boston; and commissioned 30 June 1943, Captain J. H. Carson in command.
Boston reported to the Pacific Fleet, arriving at Pearl Harbor 6 December 1943. She joined TF 58 in January and took part in the raids on the Marshall Islands in support of the invasions of Kwajalein, Majuro, and Eniwetok (31 January-28 February 1944); Palaus and Western Carolines (30 March-1 April); Hollandia and Western New Guinea (21-24 April); Truk, including Satawan Island, bombardment (29 April-1 May); invasion of Saipan (11-24 June); 1st Bonins raid (15-16 June); Battle of the Philippine Sea (19-20 June); 2nd Bonins raid (24-26 June); 3rd Bonins raid (3-4 July) invasion of Guam (12 July-15 August); Palau-Yap-Ulithi raid (25-27 July); Morotai landings (15 September); seizure of the southern Palaus (6 September-14 October); and Philippine I slands raids (9-24 September). She served with TF 38 during the Okinawa raid (10 October); northern Luzon and Formosa raid (11-14 October); Luzon raids (15 and 24-26 October, 13-14 and 19-20 November, and 14-16 December); Battle for Leyte Gulf (24 26 Octo ber); Formosa raids (3-4, 9, 15, and 21 January 1945); Luzon raids (6-7 January); China coast raids (12 and 16 January); Nansei Shoto raid (22 January); Honshu and Nansei Shoto raids (15-16 February and 1 March), in which she bombarded Japan itself.
Boston then returned to the United States for overhaul, arriving at Long Beach, Calif., 25 March 1945. Returning to the Western Pacific, via Pearl Harbor and Eniwetok, she joined TF 38 for the raids on the Japanese home islands (20 July-15 Augus t), including the bombardment of Kamaishi, Honshu (9 August). Following the Japanese surrender Boston remained in the Far East on occupation duty until 28 February 1946. She then returned to the United States and was placed out of commission in res erve at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard 12 March 1946.
Boston was reclassified CAG-1, 4 January 1952. In February 1952 she was towed from Bremerton, Wash., to Philadelphia for conversion to a guided missile heavy cruiser by New York Shipbuilding Corp., Camden, N. J. During conversion her after-8" tu rret was replaced with anti-aircraft missile launchers and she was otherwise modernized. Boston was recommissioned 1 November 1955 and operated along the east coast and in the Caribbean conducting missile evaluations and participating in fleet exer cises until departing for the Mediterranean 23 November 1956. She returned in May 1957.
Boston received ten battle stars for her World War II service.
Born in Providence, R. I., 21 February 1869, Lucius Allyn Bostwick graduated from the Academy in 1890. He served on board Oregon (BB-3) during the Spanish-American War and received the Navy Cross for distinguished service while in command of South Dakota (Armored Cruiser No. 9) during World War I. He was retired as Rear Admiral and died in Washington, D. C., 14 January 1940.
(DE-103: dp. 1240; l. 306'; b. 36'8"; dr. 11'8"; s. 21 k.; cpl. 186; a. 3 3", 3 21" TT.; cl. Cannon)
Bostwick (DE-103) was launched 30 August 1943 by Dravo Corp., Wilmington, Del.; sponsored by Mrs. F. D. Pierce, a cousin of Admiral Bostwick; and commissioned 1 December 1943, Lieutenant Commander J. H. Church Jr., USNR, in command.
On 15 February 1944 Bostwick joined TG 21.16, a hunter-killer group built around Block Island (CVE-21), and made a cruise between Hampton Roads and North Africa (16 February-31 March 1944). On 1 March she joined Thomas (DE-102) and Bronstein (DE-189) in sinking U-709 in 49°10' N., 26°00' W. After escorting a convoy to the Mediterranean (11 April-30 May) and patrolling in the Northwest Atlantic (25 June-7 July), Bostwick joined Card's (CVE-11) hunt er-killer group. She operated with the group until 20 August 1944. Following additional training at Bermuda and a convoy run (October-11 November 1944), she patrolled off the east coast (20 December 1944-27 October 1945). On 30 April 1945 she assisted Thomas (DE-102), Coffman (DE-191) and Natchez (PF-2) in sinking U-548 in 36°34' N., 74°00' W,, 30 April 1945.
Bostwick arrived at St. John's River, Fla., 19 November 1945 and was decommissioned 30 April 1946. She was transferred to China 14 December 1948.
Bostwick received three battle stars during World War II.
Botetourt is a county in Virginia.
(APA-136: dp. 6720; l. 455'; b. 62'; dr. 24'; s. 17.5 k.; cpl. 536; a. 1 5"; cl. Haskell)
Botetourt was launched 19 October 1944 by California Shipbuilding Corp., Terminal Island, Calif., under a Mari-
time Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. R. C. Todd; transferred to the Navy 31 January 1945, and commissioned the same day, Commander W. A. Barr, USNR, in command.
Joining the Pacific Fleet, Botetourt left San Francisco 8 April 1945 for Espiritu Santo, New Hebrides arriving on the 22nd. She operated out of Espiritu Santo and Manus, Admiralty Islands, until 25 August, carrying Army troops and cargo to Noume a, New Caledonia; Guadalcanal; Tulagi; Leyte, Luzon, and Samar in the Philippines; and Milne Bay, Hollandia, and Lae in New Guinea. The transport departed Manila Bay, Luzon, 25 August and joined TF 33 for the occupation of Japan, landing troops at Yokoham a, Japan, 3 September. Botetourt made another voyage from the Philippines to Japan (22 September-6 October) and then (16-30 October) steamed to San Francisco with returning servicemen. She departed San Francisco 15 November for the Far East and unt il January 1946 shuttled troops from Korea to Japan. She then steamed, via Portland, Oreg., to Norfolk where she was placed out of commission in reserve 5 June 1946.
Recommissioned 23 September 1950, she joined the Atlantic Fleet and commenced amphibious landing exercises along the east coast with various Marine Corps units. During the period May 1951-December 1955 she made a cruise to Argentia, Newfoundland; one t o the Mediterranean; one to ports along the North Sea, and eight to the Caribbean.
On 31 January 1956 Botetourt reported to Commander, Philadelphia Group. On 1 February 1956 she was placed in commission in reserve and on 27 April 1956 was placed out of commission in reserve.
Bottineau is a county in North Dakota.
(APA-235: dp. 6720; l. 455'; b. 62'; dr. 24'; s. 17.5 k.; cpl. 636; a. 1 5"; cl. Haskell)
Bottineau (APA-235) was launched 22 November 1944 by Kaiser Co., Inc., Vancouver, Wash., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. Paul Durand; transferred to the Navy 30 December 1944; and commissioned the same day, Captain H. B. Edgar in command.
Reporting to the Pacific Fleet, Bottineau carried a cargo of ammunition to Pearl Harbor during March 1945. Departing Pearl Harbor 9 April she carried replacement troops to Saipan, Marianas Islands, and evacuated casualties from Okinawa before re turning to the United States 10 June 1945. She then carried replacement troops to the Philippines and returned to Pearl Harbor to prepare for the invasion of Japan. Following the Japanese surrender she landed elements of the 98th Division at Wakayama, Hon shu, Japan, 1 October 1945. Bottineau departed 6 October 1945 for Guam and returned to the United States with Pacific veterans, arriving at Seattle, Wash., 26 January 1946.
Between February and May 1946 Bottineau operated between San Francisco and San Diego. Departing San Pedro, Calif., 25 May 1946, she arrived at Bikini Atoll 6 June 1946 where she acted as a transport for the target vessel boarding teams during Op eration Crossroads. Following the atomic bomb tests she returned to San Francisco, arriving 21 August. She was placed out of commission in reserve there 8 March 1947.
Recommissioned 24 March 1951, Bottineau served with Amphibious Forces, Pacific Fleet, until August when she steamed to Norfolk, Va., arriving 4 September. Bottineau served with the Atlantic Fleet, taking part in amphibious training exerci ses and other routine peacetime duties, until going out of commission at Philadelphia 31 August 1955.
For her World War II service Bottineau received one battle star.
Bougainville is the largest of the Solomon Islands. The island was the center of several American-Japanese land and sea battles between November and December
(CVE-100: dp. 7800; l. 512'3"; b. 108'1"; dr. 22'4" s. 19.3 k.; cpl. 860; a. 1 5"; cl. Casablanca)
Bougainville (CVE-100) was launched 16 May 1944 by Kaiser Co., Inc., Vancouver, Wash., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. Sally A. Montfort, wife of Captain Montfort, acquired 18 June 1944; and commissioned the same day, Cap tain C. A. Bond in command.
On 25 July 1944 Bougainville departed San Diego and steamed to Pearl Harbor where on 1 August she reported to Commander, Carrier Transport Squadron, Pacific Fleet. During the remainder of 1944 she transported aircraft to the Marshall, Admiralty, and Marianas Islands. Returning to San Diego 22 December she underwent a brief period of availability until 7 January 1945.
On 8 February 1945 Bougainville reported to Commander, Service Squadron 8, at Eniwetok and for the next six months provided underway replenishment throughout the Western Pacific to the various Task Groups of TF's 58 and 38. She rendezvoused with these groups at sea and delivered planes, replacement pilots and aircraft crews to the large fleet carriers. During February and March 1945 she carried out replenishment operations with TG 60.8 during the Iwo Jima operation. Until June she provided vital logistic support to the units of the 5th and 3rd Fleets engaged in raids in support of the Okinawa operation.
In August, after a brief period of availability at San Diego, Bougainville returned to Pearl Harbor. During the remainder of the month she transported aircraft between Pearl Harbor and the Marshall and Marianas Islands.
In September she steamed to Okinawa where she remained until getting underway 6 October 1945 to deliver planes and occupation personnel to several Chinese ports. Returning to Okinawa on the 19th, she departed the following day for San Diego. At San Die go she underwent a brief yard period until 28 November and then made her final voyage to Pearl Harbor and Eniwetok. She returned to San Diego 12 January 1946 and reported to the 19th Fleet for inactivation. She sailed from San Diego 19 January enroute to Port Angeles Wash., and then to Tacoma. Bougainville was placed out of commission in reserve there 3 November 1946. She was reclassified CVU-100 on 16 June 1955.
Bougainville received two battle stars for her World War II service.
Boulder is a city in Colorado.
(AK-227: dp. 4480; l. 455'; b. 62'; dr. 24'; s. 15.5 k; cpl. 99; a. 1 5", 1 3"; cl. Boulder Victory)
Boulder Victory (AK-227) was launched 31 August 1944 by Permanente Metals Corp., Yard No. 1, Richmond Calif., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Miss Elsa Maxwell; transferred to the Navy 12 October 1944; and commissioned the same day, Lieutenant S. E. Church in command.
Boulder Victory stood out for the Southwestern Pacific 2 November and arrived at Ulithi, Caroline Islands, on the 30th. She then steamed onward to the Palaus where she arrived 8 December. When getting underway 20 December to return to Ulithi, Boulder Victory hit a mine which opened an 18-foot by 32-foot hole in her port side but did not cause any casualties to the crew. She remained in the Palaus undergoing temporary repairs until 8 February 1945 and then steamed to Ulithi for further
repairs. She departed 18 June and arrived at San Francisco 30 June where she remained until 1 September while permanent repairs were completed.
After training off San Diego during September she steamed to Okinawa, arriving 30 October 1945. From there she returned troops to the west coast, arriving 25 November 1945. Decommissioned at San Francisco 4 January 1946, she was returned to the Maritim e Commission 11 January 1946.
Bountiful (AH-9) see Henderson (AP-1)
The Bourbons were a dynasty which reigned over France (1589-1792 and 1815-48).
(Fr: no information available)
Bourbon was authorized as a 28-gun frigate by the Continental Congress 23 January 1777 and built at Chatham, Conn., under the supervision of John Cotten. In October 1779 Captain Thomas Read was ordered to her command with instructions to outfit her. Due largely to a shortage of money she was not launched until 31 July 1783. In September 1783, still uncompleted, she was offered for sale.
Nathaniel Bowditch was born in Salem, Mass, 26 March 1773. An astronomer and navigator, he published the first edition of his The New American Practical Navigator in 1802. He was the author of numerous other scientific works including a tran slation and commentary on Laplace's classic Mecanique Celeste. He died in Boston Mass., 16 March 1838.
(AG-30: dp. 5405; l. 386'; b. 53'; dr. 21'6"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 406; a. 4 3")
Bowditch (AG-30) was launched in 1929 by Burmeister and Wain, Copenhagen, Denmark, as the passenger ship Santa Inez, purchased by the Navy 4 March 1940, temporarily commissioned 12 March 1940, outfitted as a surveying vessel by Nor folk Navy Yard, and commissioned 1 July 1940, Commander E. E. Duvall in command.
Following commissioning Bowditch made geodetic surveys in Little Placentia Bay, Newfoundland, Bermuda; the Bahamas; Jamaica; Cuba; and Haiti. Departing Norfolk 9 January 1942 she steamed south to conduct surveys of the waters between Panama and Colombia; off the Galapagos Islands, and off the Cocos Islands Costa Rica. Returning to Norfolk for repairs 21 November 1942, she departed for the south again 17 February 1943. After survey work in the Caribbean through May, she transited the Panama Canal to work along the coasts of Panama, Colombia, and Ecuador. Bowditch was reclassified AGS-4, 1 December 1943.
Assigned to Service Force, Pacific Fleet, she arrived at Pearl Harbor 6 January 1944. Bowditch served as a survey ship during the invasion of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls (4 February-2 April 1944); occupation of Saipan (22 July-4 October); and th e capture of Okinawa (18 April-2 September 1945). While off Okinawa she helped rescue survivors of Montgomery (DM-17) and PC-1603. Bowditch remained off Okinawa until 3 November 1946 when she departed for the United States. She arrive d at San Francisco 29 November. On 17 February 1946 she sailed for Bikini Atoll to begin preliminary surveys for Operation Crossroads. She continued surveying at Bikini after the atomic bomb tests, returning to San Francisco 19 October 1946.
Bowditch left San Francisco for Norfolk 23 November and was decommissioned there 31 January 1947. She was transferred to the Maritime Commission 9 June 1948.
Bowditch received three battle stars for her World War II service.
Bowditch (AGS-21) was launched 30 June 1945 by Oregon Shipbuilding Co., Portland, Oreg., as South Bend Victory for the Maritime Commission, sponsored by line. Margaret H. Loney; acquired by the Navy in August 1957, underwent conversion to an AGS at Charleston Naval Shipyard; renamed Bowditch 8 August 1957; placed in service 8 October 1958; and reported to the Military Sea Transportation Service.
Born in Ellensburg, Wash., 25 September 1915, Robert Keith Bowers enlisted in the Naval Reserve in 1940 and was commissioned an Ensign and appointed a Naval Aviator 12 December 1940. Ensign Bowers was killed in action on board California (BB-44) at Pearl Harbor 7 December 1941.
(DE-637: dp. 1400; l. 306'; b. 36'10"; dr. 13'6"; s. 24 k.; cpl. 186; a. 3 3", 3 21" TT.; cl. Buckley)
Bowers (DE-637) was launched 31 October 1943 by Bethlehem Steel Co., San Francisco, Calif.; sponsored by Mrs. P. A. Bowers, mother of Ensign Bowers; and commissioned 27 January 1944, Lieutenant Commander F. W. Hawes in command.
Assigned to the Pacific Fleet, Bowers arrived at Pearl Harbor 6 April 1944. After escorting a convoy to Majuro Atoll she proceeded to New Guinea where she performed patrol and convoy escort duties between May and June 1944. Bowers then mo ved to the northern Solomons where she assisted in their consolidation during June-October. With the completion of her duties in the Solomons, Bowers sailed north to take part in the invasion of Leyte, remaining in the area until 14 November. After anothe r spell of convoy duty in the Southwestern Pacific, she served on patrol and picket duty during the Okinawa operation (25 March-24 April 1945). On 17 April after two planes had been splashed, a suicide plane hit her bridge. Bowers suffered 48 men k illed and 59 wounded, many fatally. After temporary repairs at Kerama Retto she steamed, via Pearl Harbor, San Diego, and the Panama Canal, to Philadelphia Navy Yard for permanent repairs and conversion into a highspeed transport. She was reclassified APD -40, 25 June 1945.
Bowers got underway 19 September 1945 following conversion for a training cruise to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. She returned to Philadelphia 25 October and then proceeded to Green Cove Springs, Fla., where she was placed out of commission in reserve 1 0 February 1947.
Recommissioned 6 February 1951, Bowers joined Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet. Between March 1951 and November 1953 Bowers made one midshipmen cruise to Europe, operated with various units of the Marine Corps in amphibious training exerc ises; and transported several underwater demolition teams to the Caribbean for training. In May 1954 she joined the 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean for a five month cruise. She reported to the 6th Naval District in March 1955 and served as a Naval Reserve training ship until placed out of commission in reserve 18 December 1958.
Bowers received four battle stars during World War II.
The bowfin is a fresh water fish of the eastern United States.
(SS-287: dp. 1526; l. 311'8"; b. 27'3"; dr. 16'10"; s. 20.3 k.; cpl. 66; a. 1 5". 10 21" TT.: cl. Balao)
Bowfin (SS-287) was launched 7 December 1942 by Portsmouth Navy Yard; sponsored by Mrs. J. O. Gawne, wife of Captain Gawne; and commissioned 1 May 1948 Commander J. H. Willingham in command.
Bowfin departed New London, Conn., 1 July 1943 and arrived at Brisbane, Australia 10 August 1843. Between 16 August 1943 and 4 July 1945 she completed nine war patrols operating from the Netherlands East Indies to the Sea of Japan and the waters south of Hokkaido. Bowfin sank 15 merchantmen and one frigate for a total of 68,032 tons. She also shared credit with Aspro (SS-309) for a 4,500-ton merchantman.
Leaving Pearl Harbor 29 August 1945 Bowfin sailed to the east coast, arriving at Tompkinsville, N. Y., 21 September. She operated with the Atlantic Fleet until placed out of commission in reserve at New London, Conn., 12 February 1947.
Bowfin was recommissioned at New London 27 July 1951. Following a short training period she departed for the Pacific, arriving at San Diego 6 October 1951. She continued to operate from San Diego on local operations and training exercises until 8 October 1953 when she arrived at San Francisco to commence inactivation. Bowfin was placed out of commission in reserve at Mare Island Naval Shipyard 22 April 1954.
Bowfin received the Presidential Unit Citation for her second war patrol, the Navy Unit Commendation for her sixth war patrol, and eight battle stars during World War II.
Bowie is a county in Texas.
(APA-137: dp. 6873; l. 455'; b. 62'; dr. 24'; s. 17.5 k.; cpl. 536; a. 1 5"; cl. Haskell)
Bowie (APA-137) was launched 31 October 1944 by California Shipbuilding Corp., Wilmington, Calif., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. J. Shaw; transferred to the Navy 22 December 1944; commissioned the following day, Command er F. L Durnell in command; and reported to the Pacific Fleet.
Between 20 February and 27 July 1945 Bowie operated out of Pearl Harbor on troop and cargo runs to Eniwetok, Marshall Islands; Guam; Saipan; Ulithi; and Okinawa, with one voyage from San Francisco to Eniwetok, Ulithi, and Leyte (17 June-14 July 1945). Remaining at Pearl Harbor, 27 July-1 September, the transport then steamed to Japanese waters where from 22 September to 22 October she supported the occupation. Returning to the United States she was decommissioned at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard 8 M arch 1946 and returned to the Maritime Commission 14 March 1946.
Bowie received one battle star for her participation in the Okinawa operation (10-16 May 1945).
Bowline, Tom see Tom Bowline
Bowman County (LST-391) see LST-391
HMS Boxer (14) was built in 1812. Captured off Maine by Enterprise (14), she was not taken into the United States Navy.
The galley Borer (q. v.) was sometimes referred to as Boxer.
(Brig: T. 370; l. 114'11"; b. 28'7"; dr. 14'2"; cpl. 90; a. 2 9-pdr. S. B., 14 24-pdr. S. B.; cl. Boxer)
The first Boxer, a 14-gun brig, was launched in May 1815 by C. and D. Churchill, Middletown, Conn., and commissioned later in the year, Lieutenant J. Porter in command.
During 1815 Boxer served in Commodore William Bainbridges' Mediterranean Squadron and in 1816-17 cruised in the Gulf of Mexico protecting American commerce and suppressing the slave trade. She was lost off Balize, near New Orleans, 25 October 18 17, but her crew was saved.
(Sch: T. 194; l. 88'; b. 23'6"; dr. 10'11"; a. 2 9-pdr. S. B. 8 24-pdr. S. B.; cl. Boxer)
The second Boxer, a 10-gun schooner, was launched 22 November 1831 by Boston Navy Yard and commissioned the following year, Lieutenant B. Page, Jr., in command.
Between 1832 and 1840 Boxer served on the Brazil (1832-33), West Indies (1834), and Pacific (1835-40) Stations. In 1840 upon her return to New York from the Pacific, she was thoroughly repaired and re-rigged as a brig. During 1842-44 she served with the Home Squadron and was then laid up at Boston Navy Yard. Recommissioned in 1846 she cruised with the African Squadron until 1848 when she returned to Philadelphia Navy Yard. Found unworthy of further repairs she was sold there 7 August 1848.
The third Boxer was a blockade runner captured during the Civil War and taken into service as Tristram Shandy (q. v.). She was renamed Boxer 12 June 1865.
(Brigantine: dp. 346; l. 125'4"; b. 29'9"; dr. 9'2"; cpl. 64)
The fourth Boxer, a training brigantine, was launched 11 October 1904 by Portsmouth Navy Yard; sponsored by Mrs. J. H. Tomb; and commissioned 11 May 1905 Lieutenant H. H. Royall in command.
Until 20 October 1912 she served as training vessel at the Naval Training Station, Newport, R. I. She then shifted to the Naval Academy where she remained until 25 June 1914 when she returned to Newport. Boxer continued in service at Newport unt il transferred to the Department of Interior 14 May 1920 for use in Alaska by the Bureau of Education.
(CV-21: dp. 27,100; l. 888'; b. 147'6"; dr. 28'7"; s. 33 k.; cpl. 3448; a. 12 5"; cl. Ticonderoga)
The fifth Boxer (CV-21) was launched 14 December 1944 by Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co. Newport News, Va.; sponsored by Miss Ruth D. Overton daughter of the Senator from Louisiana and commissioned 16 April 1945, Captain D. F. Smith i n command.
Completed too late to take part in World War II, Boxer joined the Pacific Fleet at San Diego in August 1945. From September 1945 to 23 August 1946 she operated out of Guam as flagship of TF 77 in the Western Pacific. During this tour she visited Japan, Okinawa, the Philippines and China. She returned to San Francisco 10 September 1946 and operated off the west coast engaged in normal peacetime duty until departing for the Far East 11 January 1950. After service with the 7th Fleet in the Far East during the first half of 1950, she returned to San Diego, arriving 25 June.
With the outbreak of the Korean conflict she was pressed into service to carry planes to the fighting. During 14-22 July 1950 she made a record crossing of the Pacific, 8 1/2 days, with 150 Air Force and Navy planes and a thousand troops. On her return trip (27 July-4 August), she cut the record to 7 days, 10 hours, and 36 minutes. After fast repairs she departed for the Far East 24 August, this time to join TF 77 in giving air support to the troops. Her planes supported the landing at Inchon (15 Septe mber 1950) and other ground action until November, when she departed for the west coast and overhaul.
Boxer departed San Diego for her second Korean tour 2 March 1951. Again she operated with TF 77 supporting the ground troops. She returned to San Francisco 24 October 1951. Sailing 8 February 1952 for her third tour in Korea, Boxer again served with TF 77. During 23-24 June her planes took part in the heavy strikes against the North Korean hydro-electric complex and on
5 August she had nine men killed and two seriously injured in a fire which swept the hangar deck. After emergency repairs at Yokosuka, Japan (11-23 August), Boxer returned to duty off Korea. She arrived at San Francisco 25 September and u nderwent repairs until March 1953.
The carrier departed for the Far East 30 March 1953 and went into action a month later. She took part in the final actions of the Korean conflict and remained in Asiatic waters until November. Since the end of the Korean fighting Boxer has cruis ed off the west coast and has made three cruises to the Far East. Boxer was reclassified CVA-21 in October 1952 and CVS-21, 15 November 1955.
Boxer received eight battle stars for her service off Korea.
Boxwood is an evergreen shrub.
(YN-3: dp. 560; l. 163'2"; b. 30'6"; dr. 11'8"; s. 12.5 k.; cpl. 44; a. 1 3"; cl. Aloe)
Birch (YN-3) was renamed Boxwood 16 October 1940; launched 8 March 1941 by Lake Washington Shipyards Houghton, Wash.; and placed in service 25 July 1941, Lieutenant R. W. Nordstrom, USNR, in charge.
Boxwood tended nets at Seattle, Wash., as part of the Inshore Patrol, 13th Naval District, until sailing for Alaska 1 July 1943. She was commissioned 2 January 1943 and reclassified AN-8, 20 January 1944. Through 1945 Boxwood tended nets, as well as placing moorings and navigational aids at Adak, Atka, Amchitka, and Attu Islands. After assisting in the removal of nets, salvage of equipment, and the transport of passengers and mail in Alaskan and Aleutian waters, she returned to Puget Soun d Naval Shipyard in August 1946. Her inactivation completed, Boxwood went out of commission in reserve at Portland, Oreg., 13 November 1946.
Joseph Boyd enlisted in the Navy 4 April 1803 as a steward. On 16 February 1804 he took part in the expedition which burned Philadelphia following her capture by the Tripolitanians. Boyd later became a clerk.
(DD-544: dp. 2050; l. 376'5"; b. 39'7"; dr. 17'9"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 329; a. 5 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Fletcher)
Boyd (DD-544) was launched 29 October 1942 by Bethlehem Steel Co., San Pedro, Calif.; sponsored by Mrs. C. W. Styer, wife of Captain Styer; and commissioned 8 May 1943, Lieutenant Commander U. S. G. Sharp in command.
As a unit of the Pacific Fleet, Boyd departed for Pearl Harbor 14 July 1943. After additional training she took part in the occupation of Baker Island (1 September 1943) and then joined the fast carriers as a screening vessel for the Wake Island raid (5-6 October) and the Gilbert Islands landings (19 November-8 December). During the bombardment of Nauru Island (8 December) Boyd was damaged by a Japanese shore battery while on a rescue mission. As a result she had to return to Espir itu Santo, New Hebrides, for repairs.
Following repairs Boyd arrived at Pearl Harbor 23 March 1944. She joined TF 58 for the Hollandia landings (21-24 April); Truk-Satawan-Ponape raid (29 April-1 May); Saipan landings (11-24 June); 1st Bonins raid (15-16 June) Battle of the Philippi ne Sea (19-20 June); 2d Bonins raid (24 June); 3d Bonins raid (3-4 July); invasion of Guam (12 July-15 August); Palau-Yap-Ulithi raid (25-27 July); 4th Bonins raid (4-5 August); occupation of the southern Palaus (9-24 September); and Morotai landings (15 September). She then joined TF 38 for the strikes against Okinawa (10 October), northern Luzon and Formosa (11-14 October), and Luzon (15 October), which preceded the Leyte landings. After taking part in the Battle for Leyte Gulf (24-25 October), s he screened the carriers launching strikes against Luzon (5-6, 13-14, and 19-25 November).
Between 31 December 1944 and 22 January 1945 Boyd served as an escort vessel. She then took part in the 24 January 1945 bombardment of Iwo Jima and in the occupation of the island (19 February-1 March). She arrived off Okinawa 25 March and remai ned there on screening duty until 30 June. She then rejoined the 3rd Fleet for strikes against the Japanese home islands (10 July-7 August). One of the first vessels to return to the United States after the Japanese surrender, Boyd departed Okinawa 7 September and underwent overhaul at Mare Island Navy Yard (25 September-28 November). She then moved to San Diego, arriving 14 January 1943 and was placed out of commission in reserve 15 January 1947.
Recommissioned 24 November 1950, the destroyer reported to the Pacific Fleet. Following training off the west coast, Boyd departed for Korea 28 May 1951. She remained there, serving with TF 77 and on the Formosa Strait Patrol, until returning to San Diego 21 December 1951. Boyd departed San Diego 12 July 1952 for her second Korean tour. She served on the Wonsan blockade and took part in the amphibious demonstration off Kojo (6-15 October). She departed Korean waters in late January and ar rived at San Diego 16 February 1953. Since the end of the Korean fighting Boyd has continued operations along the west coast and has made three Far Eastern tours.
Boyd received 11 battle stars for World War II and five for her Korean service.
Thomas Boyle was born in Marblehead, Mass., 29 June 1775. He was a noted privateer commander during the War of 1812. Between 16 April and 8 September 1813 he served in the Navy as a Sailing Master in command of the small schooners Comet and Chasseur on commerce protection duty in Chesapeake Bay.
(DD-600: dp. 1620; l. 347'9"; b. 36'1"; dr. 17'4"; s. 36.5 k.; cpl. 276; a. 5 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Benson)
Boyle (DD-600) was launched 15 June 1942 by Bethlehem Steel Co., Quincy, Mass.; sponsored by Mrs. Margaret A. Glascock, great-granddaughter of Sailing Master Boyle; and commissioned 15 August 1942, Lieutenant Commander E. S. Karpe in command. P>
Boyle joined the Atlantic Fleet and sailed from Norfolk 25 October 1942 as part of TF 34 bound for the invasion of North Africa. She took part in the landings at Fedhala, French Morocco (8-11 November), and the skirmish with French corvettes off Casablanca (10 November). Returning to the United States 30 November she patrolled off the east coast and in the Caribbean until February 1943.
Between then and 4 April 1944 Boyle made six convoy runs to North Africa and three to Ireland. The monotony of convoy duty was broken by participation in the Sicilian invasion, where she served as a guide ship for the Scoglitti landings (9-15 Ju ly 1943). After serving with a hunter-killer group off New York in April 1944 she returned to the Mediterranean. She patrolled in the Gulf of Naples, Italy, during May and June taking part in the bombardment of Formia and Anzio (13-18 May). Between 15 Aug ust and 1 September she took part in the Invasion of southern France. Boyle returned to New York 14 September.
Following a yard period at Boston she returned to the Mediterranean 21 December 1944 and remained there on fire support and escort duty until 22 April 1945. Returning to the east coast 1 May, she sailed for the Pacific 23 May and arrived at San Diego, Calif., 12 June.
After cruising between San Diego and Pearl Harbor (25 June-17 July 1945) she steamed to the western Pa-
cific, arriving at Saipan 5 August. Enroute, Boyle took part in the bombardment of Wake Island (1 August 1945). The destroyer reached Okinawa 12 August and patrolled there until 1 September when she departed for Tokyo, Japan. She arrived off Tok yo 11 September and served in Japanese, Okinawan, and Chinese waters until departing Okinawa 1 November. She arrived at Charleston, S. C., 8 December 1945 and remained there until being placed out of commission in reserve 29 March 1946.
Boyle received four battle stars for her World War II service.
Bracken is a county in Kentucky.
(APA-4: dp. 4247; l. 426'; b. 58'; dr. 16'; s. 16.9 k.; cpl. 320; a. 1 5"; cl. Gilliam)
Bracken (APA-64) was launched 10 June 1944 by Consolidated Steel Corp., Ltd., Wilmington, Calif., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. Benjamin M. LeFebre; acquired from the Maritime Commission 3 October 1944; and commissioned 4 October 1944, Lieutenant Commander C. S. Lee USNR, in command.
Between 28 October 1944 and 31 March 1945 Bracken operated off the coast of southern California as a training ship for the crews of 22 subsequent ships of her class.
During May 1945 Bracken took aboard passengers and cargo and proceeded to Pearl Harbor. Departing Pearl Harbor she called at Midway, Hilo, Eniwetok, Ulithi, Okinawa, Saipan, Leyte, Samar, and Cebu taking aboard occupation troops for transportati on to Yokohama, Japan, where she arrived 8 September 1945. Bracken then joined the "Magic Carpet" fleet transporting troops from the Far East to the United States. She remained on this duty until February 1946, when she commenced preparation as a t arget ship for Operation Crossroads.
Bracken survived the atomic test and was maintained for radiological and structural studies until 10 March 1948 when she was towed to the open sea off Kwajalein and sunk.
Born in Seattle, Wash., 16 October 1915, Bruce Godfrey Brackett was appointed Ensign in the Naval Reserve in 1939. On 29 March 1940 he was appointed Naval Aviator. Lieutenant Brackett was killed in action in the South Pacific 15 January 1943.
(DE-41: dp. 1140; l. 289'5"; b. 35'1"; dr. 11'; s. 21 k.; cpl. 156; a. 3 3"; cl. Evarts)
Brackett (DE-41) was launched 1 August 1943 by Puget Sound Navy Yard; sponsored by Mrs. George G. Brackett, mother of Lieutenant Brackett; and commissioned 18 October 1943, Lieutenant J. H. Roskilly, Jr., USNR, in command.
On 21 December 1943 Brackett steamed to Pearl Harbor for duty with the Pacific Fleet. Until 27 June 1945 Brackett operated among the Marshalls, Gilberts, Carolines, Admiralties, and Marianas escorting convoys, patrolling, and with hunter- killer groups. She supported the occupation of Majuro Atoll (29 January-7 February 1944) the capture and occupation of Saipan (28-29 July 1944); and the 5th and 3rd Fleet raids in support of Okinawa operations (26 March-June 1945).
Returning to San Francisco 14 July 1945, Brackett commenced her pre-inactivation overhaul. She was decommissioned 23 November 1945 and sold 22 May 1947.
Brackett received three battle stars for her World War II service.
Captain Gamaliel Bradford, privateersman, was born in Duxbury, Mass., 4 November 1768. He commanded the American private armed ship Mary in 1799. In July 1800 in command of Industry, he routed four French privateers at Gibralta r. Captain Bradford died at Cambridge, Mass., 7 March 1824.
(DD-545: dp. 2050; l. 376'6"; b. 39'4"; dr. 17'9"; s. 35.3 k.; cpl. 329; a. 5 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Fletcher)
Bradford (DD-545) was launched 12 December 1942 by Bethlehem Steel Co., Terminal Island, Calif.; sponsored by Mrs. Sarah Bradford Rose, great-great-granddaughter of Captain Bradford; and commissioned 12 June 1943, Commander R. L. Morris in comma nd.
Bradford sailed for Pearl Harbor 18 August 1943. On 25 August, less than 24 hours after arrival in Pearl Harbor, she was underway for Baker Island to take part in its capture and occupation (1 September). Afterwards, Bradford joined the c arrier striking forces to participate in the Tarawa raid (18 September) and the Wake Island raid (5 6 October).
She operated as a screening unit in TG 52.3, covering the occupation of the Gilbert Islands (13 November-8 December). Following this operation she went to Espiritu Santo, New Hebrides, and was assigned to TG 37.2. With this group Bradford partic ipated in three strikes (25 December 1943, 1 and 4 January 1944) against the shipping and harbor installations at Kavieng, New Ireland, during the Bismarck Archipelago operations. Between 29 January and 8 February she took part in the occupation of Kwajal ein and Majuro Atolls, Marshall Islands.
In the ensuing months Bradford participated in the Truk attack (17-18 February), during which she scored several torpedo and 5-inch gunfire hits on an enemy cruiser and destroyer, and the Marianas raids (21-22 February). She then supported the o ccupation of New Guinea as part of TF 58 (21 April-1 June); the invasion of Saipan (11-24 June); 1st Bonins raid (15-16 June); Battle of the Philippine Sea (19-20 June); 2nd Bonins raid (24 June); 3rd Bonins raid (3-4 July); assault on Guam (12 July-15 Au gust); Palau-Yap-Ulithi raid (25-27 July); and 4th Bonins raid (4-5 August). In September she returned to the United States for a complete overhaul.
Bradford steamed to Pearl Harbor in December 1944 and, after undergoing training as a fire support ship, took part in the assault and occupation of Iwo Jima (19-27 February 1945). In the Okinawa operation (24 March-25 July) she supported the lan ding and occupation operations as a screening unit of TG 52.1 and as a radar picket ship. From 25 July to 10 August she participated in 3rd Fleet operations against Japan. She acted as a fire support and fighter director ship for the minesweeping operatio ns in the East China Sea-Ryukyus area (10-25 August). After a number of transport missions in the Far East, Bradford left for San Diego 31 October 1945 where she was placed out of commission in reserve 11 July 1946.
Bradford was recommissioned 27 October 1950 and reported to the Pacific fleet. Between 29 January 1951 and 2 November 1953 she completed three Far Eastern tours (29 January-August 1951, 22 March-November 1952, and May-November 1953) during which she acted as a unit of TF 77 and TF 95 on duty off Korea. While on this duty she engaged in shore bombardment and patrolling in support of the United Nations ground forces.
Since that time she has made three additional cruises to the Far East. Between these cruises she has operated out of San Diego conducting extensive individual and type training exercises.
Bradford received the Navy Unit Commendation for her services as a radar picket ship during the Okinawa operation. In addition, she received 12 battle stars for her World War II service and six battle stars for her participation in the Korean ac tion.
Bradley County (LST-400) see LST-400
Bragg, General see General Bragg
Back to the DANFS Online Main Page
Questions, Comments and Feedback
This section of the HG&UW site coordinated and maintained by Andrew Toppan.
Copyright © 1996-2003, Andrew Toppan. All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction, reuse, or distribution without permission is prohibited.