From the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Volume 1 (1959; reprinted with corrections 1964).


Eugene Blair was born in Tremont, Va., 26 April 1908 and enlisted in the Navy in 1929. Chief Machinist's Mate Blair was killed in action 19 February 1942 on board William B. Preston (AVD-7) during a bombing attack by Japanese aircraft at Darwin, Australia. He was posthumously awarded the Silver Star Medal.

(DE-147: dp. 1200; l. 306'; b. 36'7"; dr. 12'3; s. 21 k.; cpl. 186; a. 3 3", 3 21" TT.; cl. Edsall)

Blair (DE-147) was launched 6 April 1943 by Consolidated Steel Corp., Ltd., Orange, Tex.; sponsored by Mrs. Vestie Foster; and commissioned 13 September 1943, Lieutenant A. J. Laborde, USNR, in command.

Blair was assigned to Escort Division 3 in November 1943 and for the next 20 months carried out several suc-


cessful trans-Atlantic escort missions. Her first trip was to Casablanca, French Morocco, where she arrived 11 December. Upon her return she underwent tactical training exercises at Casco Bay, Maine, and then proceeded on another voyage to Casablanca a s a part of a hunter-killer group. This was followed by 10 round trips between New York and the United Kingdom as escort for fast troop convoys.

On 10 August 1945 Blair arrived at Pearl Harbor and reported for duty with the Pacific Fleet. With the cessation of hostilities she was ordered back to the east coast and departed Pearl Harbor 4 September. Upon arrival at Charleston, S. C., she reported for inactivation. She later proceeded to Green Cove Springs, Fla., where she was placed out of commission in reserve 28 June 1946.

Blair was recommissioned 5 October 1951 and reported to the Atlantic Fleet. Since that time she has alternated between her home port of Newport, where she conducted local operations, and the Fleet Sonar School at Key West, Fla., where she partic ipated in training naval personnel in anti-submarine warfare.

On 13 November 1956 she was placed out of commission at Boston and commenced conversion to a radar picket escort vessel. She was reclassified DER-147 and recommissioned 2 December 1957.


Johnston Blakeley was born near Seaford, County Down, Ireland in October 1781. Brought to the United States as a child in 1783, he was appointed a Midshipman in 1800. After service in President during the Quasi-War with France and command of Enterprise early in the War of 1812, Master Commandant Blakeley was appointed to command of the newly built sloop-of-war Wasp. In 1814 he made a very successful cruise which included capture of HMS Reindeer. Wasp was last heard of 9 October 1814 and is believed to have foundered in a gale. Blakeley received the thanks of Congress, a gold medal, and post-humous advancement to Captain for his last cruise.


(TB-27: dp. 165; l. 175'; b. 17'8"; dr. 6'; s. 26 k., cpl. 32 a. 3 1-pdr., 3 18" TT.; cl. Blakeley)

Blakeley (Torpedo Boat No. 27) was launched 22 November 1900 by George Lawley and Sons Corp., South Boston, Mass.; sponsored by Miss Nellie M. White; and commissioned 27 December 1904, Lieutenant C. E. Courtney in command.

Blakeley joined the 3rd Torpedo Flotilla, Atlantic Fleet, and cruised along the east coast until going out of commission in February 1907. Placed in reserve at Norfolk Navy Yard 19 June 1907, Blakeley alternated between commissioned and r eserve service until March 1914. She was recommissioned 13 January 1908; placed in reserve at New York later in the year; recommissioned 6 May 1909, and went into reserve 9 November 1909. Placed out of commission at Newport Naval Station 17 March 1914, sh e remained in ordinary until May 1913 when she went into service as a station craft at the Naval Station. Fully commissioned 7 April 1917, she served as a patrol vessel out of Boston and New London until January 1919. In August 1918 she was renamed and re classified Coast Torpedo Boat No. 13. Decommissioned at Philadelphia Navy Yard 8 March 1919, she was sold 19 July 1920.


(DD-150: dp. 1154; l. 314'5"; b. 31'8"; dr. 9'; s. 35 k.; cpl. 122; a. 4 4", 2 3", 12 21" TT.; cl. Wickes)

The second Blakeley (DD-150) was launched 19 September 1918 by William Cramp and Sons Ship and Engine Building Co., Philadelphia, Pa.; sponsored by Mrs. C. A. Blakeley, wife of Commander Blakeley, great-grand-nephew of Captain Blakeley; commissi oned 8 May 1919, Commander W. Brown, Jr., in command; and joined the Atlantic Fleet.

Blakeley cruised along the east coast until going out of commission 29 June 1922 at Philadelphia Navy Yard. Except for 1932-37 when she served with the Scouting Fleet, Blakeley remained out of commission at Philadelphia until 16 October 1 939.

Upon recommmissioning, Blakeley joined the Neutrality Patrol and with America's entrance into World War II began patrol and convoy duty in the Caribbean. In February 1942 she helped escort the convoy carrying troops to garrison Curacao, Netherla nds West Indies. While patrolling off Martinique, 25 May 1942, a German sub-marine torpedoed her, carrying away 60 feet of her bow. Six men were killed and 21 wounded, but the gallant crew saved the ship and brought her to Port de France, Martinique, for emergency repairs. After additional repairs at Port Castries, Santa Lucia, British West Indies, and San Juan, P. R., Blakeley steamed to Philadelphia where she was refitted with a bow taken from her stricken sister Taylor (DD-94) and thoroug hly overhauled.

In September 1942 Blakeley returned to duty with the Caribbean Sea Frontier and, with the exception of two voyages, continued escort and patrol work there until February 1945. From 1 January to 23 February 1943 she served with TG 21.13 on hunter -killer duty in the North Atlantic and between 24 March and 11 May 1943 she escorted a convoy to Bizerte, Tunisia.

She operated out of New London, Conn., 18 March-13 June 1945 on training duty with submarines in Long Island Sound. Decommissioned at Philadelphia Navy Yard 21 July 1945, she was sold 30 November 1945.

Blakeley received one battle star for her convoy duty.

Blakeley, J. R. Y. (DE-140) see J. R. Y. Blakeley (DE-140)

Blanchester, Lake see Lake Blanchester

Blanco County (LST-344) see LST-344

Blanco, Palo (AN-64) see Palo Blanco (AN-64)


Bland is a county in Virginia.

(APA-134: dp. 6873; l. 455'; b. 62'; dr. 24'; s. 17.5 k.; cpl. 536; a. 1 5"; cl. Haskell)

Bland (APA-134) was launched 26 October 1944 by California Shipbuilding Corp., Wilmington, Calif., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. L. A. Collins; transferred to the Navy 14 December 1944; and commissioned the following da y, Commander L. E. Eastman, USNR, in command.

Assigned to the Pacific Fleet, Bland made one voyage from California to Guam, Eniwetok, and Pearl Harbor (16 February-8 April 1945) and one from San Diego to Pearl Harbor and San Francisco (17 April-4 June). She departed San Francisco 26 June fo r Okinawa, arriving 8 July. After a voyage to Ulithi she returned to Okinawa 5 August. She then steamed to the Philippine Islands, arriving at Leyte 20 August and departed 1 September to support the occupation of Japan.

Bland arrived at Yokohama, Japan, 9 September and remained on occupation duty in the Far East until 18 January 1946. She arrived at San Francisco 7 February and Norfolk, Va., 7 March. She was decommissioned 27 April 1946 and returned to the Mari time Commission the following day.


Born in New York City 28 June 1890, William H. P. Blandy graduated from the Academy in 1913. He parti-


cipated in the occupation of Veracruz in 1914 and served on board a battleship with the British Grand Fleet during World War I. During World War II he was Chief of the Bureau of Ordnance; Commander, Group 1, Amphibious Force, Pacific Fleet; and Command er Cruisers and Destroyers, Pacific Fleet. After the war he commanded JTF 1 during the atomic bomb tests at Bikini Atoll. He commanded the 2nd Task Fleet and later served as Commander-in-Chief, Atlantic Fleet Admiral Blandy died 12 January 1954.

(DD-943: dp. 2810; l. 418'; b. 45'; dr. 20'; cl. Forrest Sherman)

Blandy (DD-943) was launched 19 December 1956 by Bethlehem Steel Co., Quincy, Mass.; sponsored by Mrs. John M. Lee, daughter of Admiral Blandy; and commissioned 26 November 1957, Commander W. F. Cafferata in command.

Blanquillo (SS-323) see Caiman (SS-323)

Blatchford, General R. M. (AP-153) see General R. M. Blatchford (AP-153)

Bledsoe County (LST-356) see LST-356


The blenny is a fish found along the rocky shores of the Atlantic Ocean.

(SS-324: dp. 1526; l. 311'9"; b. 27'3"; dr. 16'10"; s. 20.3 k.; cpl. 66; a. 1 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Balao)

Blenny (SS-324) was launched 9 April 1944 by Electric Boat Co., Groton, Conn.; sponsored by Miss Florence King, daughter of Admiral E. J. King; commissioned 27 July 1944, Lieutenant Commander W. H. Hazzard in command; and reported to the Pacific Fleet.

Between 10 November 1944 and 14 August 1945 Blenny conducted four war patrols in the Java and South China Seas. Blenny sank eight Japanese vessels totaling 18,262 tons. In addition, she is credited with destroying more than 62 misc ellaneous Japanese small craft by gunfire.

With the cessation of hostilities Blenny returned to San Diego, arriving 5 September 1945. She operated locally from the San Diego area during the remainder of 1945. Between 1946 and 1951 Blenny made one cruise to China (August-November 1 946); participated in a midshipman cruise to Canada; made two winter cruises in Alaskan waters (1947-48 and 1948-49); and participated in fleet maneuvers off Hawaii and local operations near San Diego.

In 1951 Blenny underwent conversion to a Guppy submarine and spent the remainder of the year operating in the San Diego area. Between May and November 1952 she cruised in the Far East during which time she conducted a 35-day reconnaissance patro l in support of the Korean operations. The boat spent 1953 conducting local operations along the west coast.

On 24 May 1954 Blenny reported to the Atlantic Fleet. Since that time she has operated out of New London, Conn., and has participated in Atlantic Fleet, NATO, and anti-submarine warfare exercises, in addition to operating with a submarine develo pment group engaged in evaluating new equipment.

Blenny received four battle stars for her World War II service.


Born in Mott, S. D., 29 December 1907, Edward Martin Blessman graduated from the Academy in 1931 and became a Naval Aviator in 1934. Lieutenant Blessman was killed in action in the Pacific 4 February 1942.

(DE 9: dp. 1400; l. 306'; b. 36'10"; dr. 9'5"; s. 24 k.; cpl. 186; a. 3 3", 3 21" TT.; cl. Buckley)

Blessman (DE-69) was launched 19 June 1943 by Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc., Hingham, Mass.; sponsored by Mrs. Helen, Malloy Blessman, widow of Lieutenant Blessman; and commissioned 19 September 1943, Commander J. A. Gillis in command.

From 20 November 1943 to 27 July 1944 Blessman operated as a convoy escort and patrol vessel in the North Atlantic and took part in the invasion of Normandy (6-13 June 1944).

Blessman was redesignated APD-48, 31 July 1944 and converted to a high speed transport. She then reported to the Pacific Fleet, arriving at Pearl Harbor 29 November 1944. She took part in the landings at Lingayen Gulf (1-19 January 1945) and Iwo Jima (14-19 February) as an underwater demolition team carrier. During an air attack off Iwo Jima, 18 February 1945, she was hit by a 500-pound bomb which exploded in the mess hall knocking out all power and starting fires, she suffered 40 killed and 23 wounded. Her gallant crew extinguished the fires with assistance from Gilmore (DE-18) and the next day the damaged transport departed for Saipan and emergency repairs, in tow of Ardent (AM-340). Blessman steamed to the west coast for permanent repairs, arriving 23 April. Completing her repairs in August she returned to the Western Pacific and until October served with the occupation forces in Japan.

She returned to San Francisco in October and was placed in commission in reserve 28 August 1946 and out of commission in reserve 15 January 1947.

Blessman received three battle stars for her World War II service.

Blish, John (AGSC-10) see John Blish (AGSC-10)

Bliss, General T. H. (AP-131) see General T. R. Bliss (AP-131)

Bliss, Tasker H. (AP-42) see Tasker H. Bliss (AP-42)

Block Island

Block Island Sound is off the south coast of New England.

Block Island (CVE-8) was built by Ingalls Shipbuilding Corp., Pascagoula, Miss. She was transferred to the United Kingdom, under Lend-Lease, 9 January 1943 and commissioned the following day as HMS Hunter. The vessel was returned t o United States' custody 29 December 1945 and sold 17 January 1947.


(ACV-21: dp. 7800; l. 465'8"; b. 111'6"; dr. 26'; s. 18 k.; cpl. 890; a. 2 5"; cl. Bogue)

The first Block Island (ACV-21) was launched 6 June 1942 by Seattle-Tacoma Shipbuilding Corp., Seattle, Wash., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. H. B. Hutchinson, wife of Commander Hutchinson; transferred to the Navy 1 May 1942; and commissioned 8 March 1943 Captain L. C. Ramsey in command. Originally classified AVG-21, she became ACV-21, 20 August 1942, and CVE-21, 15 July 1943.

Departing San Diego in May 1943 Block Island steamed to Norfolk, Va., to join the Atlantic Fleet. After two trips from New York to Belfast, Ireland, during the summer of 1943 with cargoes of Army fighters, she operated as part of a hunter-killer team. During her four anti-submarine cruises Block Island's planes sank two submarines: U-220 in 4853' N., 3330' W., 28 October 1943 and U-1059 in 1310' N., 3344' W., 19 March 1944. She shared credit with Corry (DD-463) an d Bronstein (DE-


189) for the sinking of U-801 in 1642' N., 3020' W., 17 March 1944 and with Buckley (DE-51) for U-66 sunk 6 May 1944 in 1717' N., 3229' W. Three of Block Island's escorts, Thomas (DE-102), Bostwick (DE-103) , and Bronstein sank U-709 on 1 March 1943 and the same day Bronstein got U-603.

At 2013, 29 May 1944, Block Island was torpedoed bag U-549 which had slipped undetected through her screen. The German submarine put one and perhaps two more torpedoes into the stricken carrier before being sunk herself by the avenging Eugene E. Gilmore (DE-686) and Ahrens (DE-575) of the screen in 3113' N., 2303' W.

Block Island (CVE-21) received two battle stars for her service.


(CVE-106: dp. 11,373; l. 577'1"; b. 105'2"; dr. 32'; s. 19.1 k.; cpl. 1066; a. 2 5"; cl. Commencement Bay)

The second Block Island (CVE-106) was launched 10 June 1944 as Sunset Bay by Todd-Pacific Shipyards, Inc. Tacoma, Wash.; sponsored by Mrs. L. J. Hallenbeck, and commissioned as Block Island 30 December 1944, Captain F. M. Hughes in command.

Block Island got underway for Pearl Harbor 20 March 1945. Upon arrival she underwent a period of provisioning and training in preparation for the invasion of Okinawa. On 17 April Block Island left Hawaii and steamed toward Okinawa, via Ul ithi. Flight operations commenced immediately upon her arrival 3 May and lasted until 16 June when she departed for Leyte. After a brief stay at San Pedro Bay, the carrier steamed through the Straits of Makassar for Borneo. Between 26 June and 6 July she took part in the Balikpapan operation. She then proceeded to Guam where she was anchored at the time of the cessation of hostilities. During 6-9 September she took part in the evacuation of Allied prisoners of war from Formosa. She continued cruising in t he Far East until 14 October and arrived at San Diego 11 December 1946. Leaving San Diego 6 January 1946, she transited the Panama Canal and reached Norfolk on the 20th. She was placed in service in reserve 28 May 1946.

On 29 May 1946 Block Island was towed from Norfolk to Annapolis and reported to the Superintendent of the Naval Academy for duty as training ship for the midshipmen. This duty terminated 3 October 1950 and Block Island was transferred to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet.

The vessel was recommissioned 28 April 1951 and reported to the Atlantic Fleet. Between June 1951 and November 1963 she carried out local operations off the Virginia Capes; made four cruises to the Caribbean; and one to the United Kingdom, France, and Italy (17 April-26 June 1963).

On 15 January 1954 she was placed in commission in reserve at Philadelphia and out of commission in reserve 27 August 1954. Block Island was stricken from the Navy List on 1 July 1959.

Block Island received two battle stars for her World War II service.

Blood, Rogers (APD-115) see Rogers Blood (APD-115)


Amelia Bloomer, a feminist, gave her name to a short skirt and loose trousers gathered at the ankles.

(StwStr: T. 130; cpl. 49; a. 1 32-pdr. S. B., 1 12-pdr. R.)

Bloomer, a stern-wheel river steamer, was built in 1856 at New Albany, Ind.; captured by a boat expedition from Potomac and the 91st New York Volunteers in the Choctawatchie River, Fla., 24 December 1862, outfitted at Pensacola, Fl a., as a tender to Potomac and placed under command of Acting Ensign E. Crissey, 24 January 1863. Her status as a prize or a salvaged vessel was the subject of much litigation and was not settled until the New Orleans Prize Court declared her to be a prize, 4 January 1865. She was subsequently purchased from the Court by the Navy.

Bloomer served with the East Gulf Blockading Squadron throughout her career. During 10-18 December 1863 she took part in the attacks along St. Andrew Bay, Fla., which resulted in the destruction of 380 salt works and the town of St. Andrew. B loomer was wrecked on the Florida coast in June 1865 and sold 22 September 1865.

Bloomington, Lake see Lake Bloomington


Blount is the name of counties in Alabama and Tennessee.

(AK-163: dp. 2382; l. 338'8"; b. 50'; dr. 21'1"; s. 11.5 k.; cpl. 85; a. 1 3", cl. Alamosa)

Blount (AK-163) was launched 19 October 1944 by Kaiser Cargo Co., Inc., Richmond, Calif., for the Maritime Commission; sponsored by Mrs. R. E. St. Claire; transferred to the Navy 26 January 1945, and commissioned the same day, Lieutenant W. H. L everett, USNR, in command.

Reporting to the Pacific Fleet, Blount arrived at Manus, Admiralty Islands, 8 April 1945. She operated from there carrying supplies to Biak Island, Schouten Islands; Borneo, and the Philippines until January 1946. Leaving the Philippines 5 Janua ry 1946, she arrived at Norfolk 10 March. Decommissioned at Baltimore 18 April 1946, she was returned to the Maritime Commission six days later.


Blower is a fish of the Atlantic coast of the United States and the West Indies.

(SS-325: dp. 1526; l. 311'9"; b. 27'3"; dr. 16'10"; s. 20.3 k.; cpl. 66; a. 1 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Balao)

Blower (SS-325) was launched 23 April 1944 by Electric Boat Co., Groton, Conn.; sponsored by Mrs. Richard F. J. Johnson, wife of Commander Johnson, and commissioned 10 August 1944, Lieutenant Commander J. H. Campbell in command.

Blower arrived at Pearl Harbor 16 December 1944 and, after undergoing voyage repairs and training exercises got underway for her first war patrol 17 January 1945. She completed three war patrols before the termination of hostilities, all in the Java and South China Seas. All three patrols proved unprofitable for Blower and she arrived at Fremantle, Australia, from her last patrol 28 July 1945. Blower departed the Southwest Pacific in September 1945 and, after engaging in training e xercises around the Marianas and Caroline Islands for several months, proceeded to the United States via Pearl Harbor, arriving at San Diego 29 January 1946.

From 1946 through 1949 Blower was attached to the Submarine Force, Pacific Fleet. She operated mainly along the west coast on scheduled torpedo exercises submerged sound school operations, and training programs. During the latter part of 1946 sh e made a cruise to Japan, via Pearl Harbor and the Marianas. Early in 1947 she participated in fleet operations near Pearl Harbor.

During August-September 1948 Blower operated in Alaskan waters with Carp (SS-338) patrolling along the contour of the Arctic ice pack in the Chokchi Sea, carrying out radar tracking and sonar exercises. Returning to San Diego, the ship co ntinued scheduled operations until early 1950 when she departed for the east coast to join Submarine Force, Atlantic Fleet. She arrived at Philadelphia 3 March and underwent repairs at the Naval Shipyard until September. On 27 September she arrived


at New London, Conn., where she trained Turkish naval personnel.

Blower was decommissioned at the Submarine Base New London, 16 November 1950 and transferred to Turkey under the Mutual Defense Assistance Program. She was lost 4 April 1953 while serving in the Turkish Navy.


Victor Blue was born in Richmond County, N. C., 6 December 1865 and graduated from the Academy in 1887. Lieutenant Blue was advanced five numbers for intelligence missions in Cuba during the Spanish-American War. He served as Chief of the Bureau of Nav igation (1913-16 and 1919) and commanded Texas (BB-35) during her service with the 6th Battle Squadron. Rear Admiral Blue retired in 1919 and died 22 January 1928.

Born in New York City 29 August 1902, John Stuart Blue graduated from the Academy in 1925. During 1933 he commanded the Presidential yacht Sequoia and served as Aide to President Roosevelt. Between August 1940 and January 1942 he commanded Pa lmer (DD-161) and then reported to the light cruiser Juneau (CL-52) as navigator. Lieutenant Commander Blue was killed in action 13 November 1942 when Juneau sank during the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal.

(DD-387: dp. 1500; l. 341'4"; b. 35'6"; dr. 17'1"; s. 36.5 k.; cpl. 172; a. 4 5", 16 21" TT.; cl. Gridley)

The first Blue (DD-387) was launched 27 May 1937 by Norfolk Navy Yard; sponsored by Miss Kate Lilly Blue, sister of Admiral Blue; and commissioned 14 August 1937, Lieutenant Commander J. Wright in command.

After spending her first year in shakedown and training cruises along the east coast and in the Caribbean Blue sailed for the Pacific in August 1938 to become flagship of Destroyer Division 7, Battle Force. She exercised with the Battle Fleet in west coast waters until April 1940 when she accompanied her division to Pearl Harbor. Except for an overhaul at Puget Sound Navy Yard (February-March 1941) and exercises out of San Diego during April, she remained based at Pearl Harbor until war broke ou t.

The Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor 7 December 1941 caught Blue in port but she safely made her way to sea with only four officers on board (all Ensigns). She served with the offshore patrol in the approaches to Pearl Harbor during December 1941 -January 1942 and then joined Enterprise (CV-6) for the attacks on Wotje, Maloelap, Kwajalein Atolls, Marshall Islands (1 February 1942) and the Wake Island attack (24 February). During March-June 1942 Blue escorted convoys between Pearl Har bor and San Francisco and then proceeded to Wellington, New Zealand, where she arrived 18 July. She joined TG 62.2 for the invasion of Guadalcanal (7 August), providing fire-support and screening. Although present, she took no active part in the Battle of Savo Island (9 August). After patrolling off Noumea, New Caledonia, (13-17 August), Blue returned to Guadalcanal, arriving 21 August. At 0359, 22 August, while patrolling in Ironbottom Sound she was torpedoed by the Japanese destroyer Kawakaze. The explosion wrecked Blue's main engines, shafts, and steering gear, as well as killing nine men and wounding 21. Throughout the 22nd and 23rd unsuccessful attempts were made to tow Blue to Tulagi. She was scuttled at 2221 on 23 August 1942 after valiant attempts to save her failed.

Blue (DD-387) received five battle stars for her nine months service in World War II.


(DD-744: dp. 2200; l. 376'6"; b. 40'10"; dr. 19'; s. 34 k.; cpl. 345; a. 6 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Allen M. Sumner)

The second Blue (DD-744) was launched 28 November 1943 by Bethlehem Steel Co., Staten Island, N. Y.; co-sponsored by Mrs. J. S. Blue and Miss Eleanor Stuart Blue, widow and daughter, respectively, of Lieutenant Commander Blue; and commissioned 2 0 March 1944, Commander L. Ensey in command.

Blue reported to the Pacific Fleet in July 1944 and joined TF 58 at Eniwetok Atoll, Marshall Islands. While screening the fast carrier task forces, Blue took part in the Volcanos-Bonins-Yap raid(31 August-9 September 1944); capture of the southern Palaus (6 September-14 October); Philippine Islands raids (9-24 September); Luzon raids (5-6, 13 14, and 18 November and 14-16 December); Formosa raids (3 4, 9, and 15 January 1945); Luzon raids (6-7 January); China coast raids (12-16 January); Honshu and the Nansei Shoto raids (15-26 February and 1 March); Iwo Jima assault (15 February-4 March); and conquest of Okinawa (17 March-6 June). Blue was damaged by the 5 June typhoon off Okinawa and retired to Leyte for repairs. Her repairs were completed in time for the destroyer to join the 3rd Fleet for its attacks against the Japanese home islands (10 July-15 August).

On 27 August Blue captured the 5223-ton Japanese submarine I-400 off the coast of Honshu and brought her into port. She steamed into Tokyo Bay 2 September and remained at anchor at Yokosuka Naval Base for two weeks. She then steame d to San Francisco arriving 5 October 1945 and shortly thereafter sailed to Puget Sound Navy Yard for complete overhaul.

Blue completed her overhaul in January 1946 and was assigned to Destroyer Division 92, 7th Fleet. On 10 February she departed the west coast for Asiatic waters via Pearl Harbor, Guam, and the Philippines, and arrived on the China coast 13 May. D uring the remainder of the year she cruised in the Yellow Sea, Philippine waters, and around the Marianas Islands engaged in tactical and hunter-killer anti-submarine warfare exercises and performing patrol duty. She returned to the United States early in 1947 and on 14 February 1947 was placed out of commission in reserve at San Diego.

On 14 May 1949 Blue was recommissioned and assigned to Destroyer Division 72, Pacific Fleet. After undergoing overhaul at San Francisco Naval Shipyard between June and September, she returned to Pacific Reserve Fleet and was decommissioned at Sa n Diego 12 December 1949.

Blue was again placed in commission 15 September 1950 and reported to Destroyer Division 131, Pacific Fleet. After engaging in training exercises off the coast of California, she departed San Diego early in 1951 and arrived at Yokosuka, J apan, 23 January. She operated in Korean and Japanese waters until August. During this period she steamed with TF 77 oft the east coast of Korea, carrying out screening, life guard, and fire support duties. Late in 1951 Blue proceeded to the United States for a general overhaul at San Francisco Naval Shipyard, She returned to the combat area in April 1952 and resumed operations with TF 77 off the coast of Korea. During September-October, with TG 95.20 and TF 73, she performed patrol duty and provid ed gunfire support during salvage operations.

Returning to the United States in November 1952, she underwent overhaul and engaged in scheduled exercises off the coast of California until June 1953. On 13 June she departed Long Beach, Calif., and arrived at Yokosuka 7 July. On the 17th she resumed screening operations with TF 77 off the east coast of Korea. In September she cruised off the south coast of Japan with TG 96.7 and patrolled off Formosa until 19 October when she returned to Korea. She returned to the west coast in December 1953.

Since that time Blue has carried out the normal operating routine of Pacific Fleet destroyers. She has conducted several tours of the Far East and during the intervals between these cruises has conducted local operations and type training along the west coast.

Blue received six battle stars for her World War II service and six battle stars for her service off Korea

Blue Jay (AMc(U)-17) see LSI(L)-654


Blue Light

(ScTug: T. 103; a. 1 gun; cl. Blue Light)

Blue Light, a screw powder tug, was launched 27 February 1864 by Portsmouth Navy Yard. She served as an ordnance tug at Boston Navy Yard until laying up there in 1870; yard tug at Washington Navy Yard, 1871-73; and yard tug at New London, Conn., 1874-75. She laid up at New London 1875-79 and was sold at Great Neck, N. Y., 27 September 1883.

Blue Ridge

The Blue Ridge is the southeasternmost ridge of the Appalachian Mountains in Virginia and North Carolina.


(AP: T. 1606; l. 269'2"; b. 38'2"; dr. 12'; s. 16.5 k.; cpl. 87)

The first Blue Ridge (No. 2432), a transport, was built in 1891 as Virginia by Globe Iron Works, Cleveland, Ohio; purchased at Manitowoc Wis., 19 April 1918; and commissioned 17 October 19i8, Lieutenant Commander E. S. Ells, USNR, in comm and.

Blue Ridge arrived at Boston Navy Yard 28 December 1918 from the Great Lakes and remained there under repair until sold 18 August 1919. She was renamed Avalon 18 August 1919.


(AGC-2: dp. 7431; l. 459'3"; b. 63'; dr. 24'; s. 16.4 k.; cpl. 506; a. 2 5"; cl. Appalachian)

The second Blue Ridge (AGC-2) was launched 7 March 1943 by Federal Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Kearny, N. J., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. David Arnott; transferred to the Navy 15 March 1943; and commissioned 27 Sep tember 1943, Commander L. R. McDowell in command.

Blue Ridge departed the east coast 1 November 1943 for the South Pacific to become flagship, 7th Amphibious Force. For most of 1944 she cruised in waters around New Caledonia, New Guinea, and eastern Australia. After taking part in the landings at Leyte (20-26 October 1944) and the invasion of Lingayen Gulf, Luzon (9-14 January 1945), she remained in the Philippines until 16 June 1945. She arrived at Pearl Harbor 28 June for overhaul and returned to the Far East 8 September.

Blue Ridge served in the Western Pacific in support of the occupation, returning to San Pedro, Calif., 18 March 1946. She underwent preparations for Operation Crossroads and then departed San Francisco with observers 12 June 1946 and arrived off Bikini on the 29th. She remained in the area for both atomic tests and departed 30 July. She arrived at San Francisco 15 August. Placed out of commission in reserve at San Diego 14 March 1847, she has since remained a part of the Pacific Reserve Fleet. < /P>

Blue Ridge received two battle stars for her operations in the Philippines.


Blueback is a salmon.


(SS-326: dp. 1526; l. 311'9"; b. 27'3"; dr. 16'10"; s. 20.3 k.; cpl. 66; a. 1 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Balao)

Blueback (SS-326) was launched 7 May 1944 by Electric Boat Co., Groton, Conn.; sponsored by Mrs. William Brent Young, wife of Rear Admiral Young; and commissioned 28 August 1944, Lieutenant Commander M. K. Clementson in command.

Blueback arrived at Pearl Harbor 21 November 1944. During 16 December 1944-20 July 1945 she completed three war patrols in the South China and Java Seas. Blueback sank a 300-ton submarine chaser, as well as eight smaller vessels. Blueb ack arrived at Subic Bay, Luzon Philippine Islands, from her third and last war patrol 20 July 1945.

On 4 September 1945 she arrived at Apra Harbor Guam, where she remained until 28 November, conducting daily underway training exercises. After a voyage to the Caroline and Admiralty Islands, she returned to Guam 15 December. She stood out for San Diego 12 January 1946. Remaining on the west coast until 26 August 1946, she then departed for a tour of the Far East. She visited Pearl Harbor; Truk; Subic Bay; Tsingtao and Shanghai, China, before returning to San Diego 29 November. Blueback conducted one more cruise to Pearl Harbor (17 February-4 April 1947) and then carried out local operations and type training along the coast of California until March 1948.

On 4 March 1948 Blueback departed the west coast and proceeded to the Mediterranean, via New London, Conn. She arrived at Izmir, Turkey, 11 May 1948 and on 23 May 1948 was decommissioned and transferred to Turkey.

Blueback received two battle stars for her World War II service.


The second Blueback (SS-581) was launched 16 May 1959 by Ingalls Shipbuilding Corp., Pascagoula, Miss.; sponsored by Mrs. Kenmore McManes, wife Of Rear Admiral McManes.


The bluebird is a small North American songbird.

SP-465, a 67-foot motor boat of 1917-19, was also known as Blue Bird.


(AM-72: dp. 465; l. 132'4"; b. 24'; dr. 12'; s. 10 k.; a. 1 3")

Bluebird (AM-72) was launched 7 April 1931 as Maine by Bath Iron Works Corp., Bath, Maine; purchased by the Navy 13 August 1940; converted into a minesweeper at General Ship and Engine Works, Inc., East Boston Mass.; and commissioned 22 N ovember 1940, Lieutenant J. T. Baldwin in command.

During World War II Bluebird operated throughout the Iceland-Greenland-Newfoundland area on minesweeping and patrol operations. Her classification was changed to IX-172, 1 June 1944. On 31 October 1944 she arrived at Boston and reported to Comma ndant, 1st Naval District, for disposition. Bluebird was decommissioned 12 January 1945 and transferred to the Maritime Commission 15 November 1945.

The name Bluebird was assigned to AM-415, but the contract was canceled 12 August 1945 prior to keel laying.


(ASR-19: dp. 1294; l. 205' b. 40'; dr. 16'; s. 16 k.; cpl. 114; a. 1 3'; cl. Penguin)

Yurok (ATF-164), was reclassified ASR-19, 7 November 1945 and renamed Bluebird; launched 3 December 1945 by Charleston Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Charleston, S. C.; sponsored by Mrs. Paul Lambert Borden, and commissioned 28 May 1946, Lieutenant Commander P. R. Hodgson in command.

Bluebird remained at Charleston Navy Yard until 29 August 1946 when she sailed to Pearl Harbor, arriving 12 October. Reporting to Submarine Squadron 5, Pacific Fleet, she remained based at Pearl Harbor until May 1950 engaged in salvage operation s, diver training, and exercising with submarines. She also made Far Eastern cruises during May-3 November 1947 and 16 May-13 December 1949. During the second cruise she assisted SS John C. Fremont, aground off Mayango Island, 28 July 1949 and towe d the disabled USNS Cache into Yokosuka, Japan 9-10 August 1949.


Bluebird departed Pearl Harbor 20 May 1950 and steamed, via the Panama Canal, to New London, Conn., arriving 16 June. She remained there training Turkish Naval personnel until 15 August 1950 when she was decommissioned and transferred to Turkey.


(AMS-121: dp. 290; l. 144'; b. 28'; dr. 9'; s. 13 k.; cpl. 39; cl. Bluebird)

The third Bluebird (AMS-121) was launched 11 May 1953 by Mare Island Naval Shipyard; sponsored by Mrs. George C. Demmon; and commissioned 24 July 1953, Lieutenant W. C. Graham in command.

On 27 May 1954 Bluebird arrived at Charleston, S. C., and reported to Mine Force, Atlantic. Operating out of Charleston between June 1954 and January 1956, she participated in various evaluation tests of Bluebird class minesweepers. On 7 February 1955 her classification was changed to MSC-121. Her home port was changed to Yorktown, Va., in January 1956. Since that time she has conducted local operations near Yorktown.


Bluefish is a fish of the Atlantic coast of the United States.

(SS-222: dp. 1526; l. 311'9"; b. 27'3"; dr. 17'; s. 20.3 k.; cpl. 60; a. 1 4", 10 21" TT.; cl. Gato)

Bluefish (SS-222) was launched 21 February 1943 by Electric Boat Co., Groton, Conn.; sponsored by Mrs. Robert Y. Menzie; and commissioned 24 May 1943, Commander G. E. Porter in command.

Bluefish departed New London, Conn. 21 July and reported to TF 72 at Brisbane, Australia 21 August 1943. Between 9 September 1943 and 29 July 1945 she completed nine war patrols. Her operating area extended from the Netherlands East Indies to th e waters south of Honshu. Bluefish sank 12 Japanese ships totaling 50,839 tons, including the destroyer Sanae, 18 November 1943 in 0452' N., 12207' E.; the submarine I-351, 15 July 1945 in 0430' N., 11000' E., and a submarine chaser. In addition Bluefish assisted Puffer (SS-268) in sinking a 5135-ton tanker.

With the cessation of hostilities Bluefish returned to the United States, arriving at Philadelphia Navy Yard 9 October. She was placed in the 16th Fleet and on 31 October moved to the Submarine Base, New London. She was later towed to Electric B oat Co., Groton, where she underwent repairs. On 12 June 1946 she returned to New London where she went out of commission in reserve 12 February 1947.

Bluefish was recommissioned 7 January 1952 at the Submarine Base, New London, and reported to Submarine Division 82, Atlantic Fleet. On 7 April she proceeded to Key West, Fla., and reported to Submarine Division 41 on 11 April. She operated alon g the Florida coast and in the Caribbean, engaging in local operations and training exercises until May 1953.

On 7 June 1953 Bluefish arrived at the Naval Base Portsmouth, N. H. Following pre-inactivation overhaul at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard, she was placed out of commission in reserve at New London 20 November 1953.

Bluefish received ten battle stars for her World War II service.


Bluegill is a sunfish of the Mississippi basin and Great Lakes.

(SS-242: dp. 1526; l. 311'9"; b. 27'3"; dr. 17'; s. 20.3 k.; cpl. 60; a. 1 4", 10 21" TT.; cl. Gato)

Bluegill (SS-242) was launched 8 August 1943 by Electric Boat Co., Groton, Conn.; sponsored by Mrs. W. Sterling Cole, wife of Congressman Cole of New York; commissioned 11 November 1943, Lieutenant Commander E. L. Barr, Jr., in command; and repo rted to the Pacific Fleet.

Bluegill's war operations cover the period between 1 April 1944 and 21 June 1945 during which time she completed six war patrols in an area extending from New Guinea to Formosa and through the South China and Java Seas. Bluegill sank ten Japanese vessels, totaling 46,212 tons, including the light cruiser Yubari, 27 April 1944 in 0520' N., 13216' E., and a submarine chaser.

During January 1945 Bluegill made reconnaissances in support of American reoccupation of the Philippines. On 28 May she conducted a reconnaissance and bombardment of Pratas Island. Twelve men were landed and discovered that the island had recent ly been evacuated by the Japanese naval garrison. In a fitting ceremony on 29 May Bluegill raised the American flag on Pratas Island and proclaimed it to be "Bluegill Island."

Bluegill arrived at Pearl Harbor 21 June 1945 from her last war patrol. She continued to serve with the Pacific Fleet until 1 March 1946 when she was placed out of commission in reserve at Mare Island Naval Shipyard.

Bluegill was recommissioned 3 May 1951 and reported to the Pacific Fleet for training duty. On 7 July 1952 she was placed out of commission in reserve and underwent conversion to a "killer" submarine. Conversion completed, she was reclassified S SK-242 and recommissioned 2 May 1953.

On 2 November 1953 Bluegill was deployed to the Western Pacific where she participated in training exercises and operations with various United Nations forces. She returned to San Diego 15 May 1954 and took part in intensive anti-submarine exerc ises with other fleet units in the area. On 1 July 1955 Bluegill's home port was changed to Pearl Harbor and since that time she has conducted two cruises in the Far East and local operations in the vicinity of the Hawaiian Islands.

Bluegill received the Navy Unit Commendation for her first war patrol during which she sank three Japanese vessels, including the light cruiser Yubari. In addition, she was awarded four battle stars for World War II service.

Bluffton (PC-461) see PC-461

Blunt see G. W. Blunt


Boarfish is a fish having a projecting hog-like snout.

(SS-327: dp. 1524; l. 311'9"; b. 27'3"; dr. 16'10"; s. 20.3 k.; cpl. 66, a. 1 5", 10 21" TT., cl. Balao)

Boarfish (SS-327) was launched 21 May 1944 by Electric Boat Co., Groton, Conn.; sponsored by Miss Barbara Walsh, daughter of Senator Walsh of New Jersey, and commissioned 23 September 1944, Commander R. L. Gross in command.

Boarfish arrived at Pearl Harbor 2 December 1944. Between 24 December 1944 and 10 August 1945 she made four war patrols in the South China Sea, Java Sea, and Gulf of Siam. She is credited with sinking one freighter of 6968 tons and combining wit h units of the 14th Air Force to sink another of 6890 tons.

She operated out of Guam (31 August-17 November 1945) on training exercises and then returned to San Diego, arriving early in February 1946, She remained on the west coast until 1 October 1946 when she began a cruise to Midway Island; Marcus Island; Ok inawa; Tsingtao, China; and Guam which lasted until November. Except for a voyage to Pearl Harbor in February 1947 and one to Alaska and Canada during July-November 1947, Boarfish remained in the San Diego area until 15 November 1947. She then went to Mare Island Naval Shipyard for overhaul


preparatory to transfer to Turkey. She departed Mare Island 21 February 1948 and sailed, via the Panama Canal and New London, Conn., to Izmir, Turkey where she was turned over to the Turkish Navy 23 May 1948.

Boarfish received one battle star for her service in World War II.


Bobolink is an American bird named after its call.


(AM-20: dp. 950; l. 187'10"; b. 35'6"; dr. 9'9"; s. 14 k.; cpl. 72; a. 2 3"; cl. Lapwing)

The first Bobolink (AM-20) was launched 15 June 1918 by Baltimore Dry Dock and Shipbuilding Co., Baltimore, Md.; sponsored by Miss Elsie Jean Willis; and commissioned 28 January 1919, Lieutenant F. Bruce in command.

Bobolink departed Norfolk in April 1919 to join Division 2, North Sea Minesweeping Detachment, at Kirkwall, Orkney Islands. While sweeping in the North Sea 14 May 1919, a mine exploded close by, causing considerable damage to the stern and killi ng Lieutenant Bruce. Her repairs at the Royal Dockyard, Devonport, England, took six months and she returned to Norfolk in January 1920.

Between 1920 and 1931 Bobolink served with the Fleet Base Force, Scouting Fleet, on the east coast and participated in fleet problems, concentrations, and joint Army-Navy maneuvers. On 3 March 1932 she arrived on the west coast and was thereafte r based at San Diego. She operated along the western seaboard between San Francisco and San Quentin Bay, Mexico, with the Train and various destroyer divisions. In 1935 she took part in the annual exercises and fleet problems held off Hawaii. Between Janu ary and March 1939 she participated in fleet problems in the Caribbean and then returned to San Diego, arriving 13 May 1939.

In September 1940 Bobolink joined the Train, Base Force, U. S. Fleet, at Pearl Harbor. She remained there until September 1942. Bobolink was present during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor 7 December 1941. Following the attack she serv ed as a salvage vessel and minesweeper. Between 20 May and 2 July 1942 she was converted to an ocean-going tug (redesignated AT-131, 1 June 1942). Remaining at Pearl Harbor until September 1942, Bobolink then steamed to the South Pacific and operat ed out off Guadalcanal, Solomon Islands; Espiritu Santo, New Hebrides; and Noumea, New Caledonia, as a tug until February 1944. She arrived at Long Beach Calif., 4 March 1944 for overhaul and returned to Pearl Harbor 29 June 1944. Bobolink was recl assified ATO-131 on 15 May 1944. She served in Hawaiian waters until the fall of 1945 and then returned to Mare Island Navy Yard where she was decommissioned 22 February 1946. She was sold through the Maritime Commission 5 October 1946.

Bobolink received one battle star during World War II.


YMS-164 (q. v.) was renamed Bobolink and reclassified AMS-2, 17 February 1947.

Bocaccio (SS-328) see Charr (SS-328)


Charles Stuart Boggs was born in New Brunswick N. J., 28 January 1811. He was appointed a Midshipman in 1826. During the Mexican War he served in Princeton and during the Civil War, commanded Varuna in the Battle of New Orleans. He was pr omoted to Rear Admiral in 1870 and commanded the European Squadron in 1871. Rear Admiral Boggs retired in 1872 and died in Brunswick, N. J., in 1888.

(DD-136: dp. 1154; l. 314'5"; b. 31'9"; dr. 9'; s. 35 k.; cpl. 122; a. 4 4", 12 21" TT.; cl. Wickes)

Boggs (DD-136) was launched 25 April 1918 by Mare Island Navy Yard; sponsored by Miss Ruth Hascal; and commissioned 23 September 1918, Commander H. V. McKittrick in command.

Boggs departed San Diego in March 1919 for a six months cruise along the east coast, in the North Atlantic and in the Caribbean. Upon her return she served with the Pacific Fleet until placed out of commission 29 June 1922. Redesignated a miscel laneous auxiliary (AG-19) 5 September 1931, she was recommissioned 19 December 1931 and assigned to Mobile Target Division 1, Battle Force, for high-speed radio control tests, target towing, and minesweeping. Except for a cruise to the east coast (January -October 1934) she served off the west coast until 1940. She arrived at Pearl Harbor 11 September 1940. Late in 1940 she was reclassified a high speed minesweeper (DMS-3).

The Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor (7 December 1941) found Boggs at sea but she returned later in the day to sweep the approaches and anchorage. She remained at Pearl Harbor on minesweeping, patrol, and training duty until January 1943 when she made a run to Canton Island, Phoenix Islands, with supplies. She returned to Pearl Harbor 2 March 1943 and for the next year served in the vicinity as a patrol vessel, minesweeper and towboat. She served as a target towing vessel with the Operational Tra ining Command out of San Diego (12 April 1944-March 1945). Following overhaul at San Pedro, Calif. (March-June 1945) she was stripped of her sweeping gear and reclassified AG-19, 5 June 1945. Fitted for high-speed target towing Boggs arrived at Eni wetok, Marshall Islands, via Pearl Harbor, 15 August 1945. She remained at Eniwetok until 6 October 1945 and then returned to the United States, arriving in early 1946. Boggs was decommissioned 20 March 1946 and sold 27 November 1946.


Bogue is a sound in North Carolina.

(ACV-9: dp. 9800; l. 495'8"; b. 111'6"; dr. 26'; s. 18 k.; cpl. 890; a. 2 5"; cl. Bogue)

Bogue was originally classified AVG-9, but was changed to ACV-9, 20 August 1942; CVE-9, 15 July 1943; and CVHP-9, 12 June 1955. She was launched 15 January 1942 by Seattle-Tacoma Shipbuilding Co., Tacoma, Wash., under a Maritime Commission contr act; sponsored by Mrs. W. Miller, Jr., wife of Lieutenant Commander Miller; transferred to the Navy 1 May 1942; and Commissioned 26 September 1942, Captain G. E. Short in command.

After an extensive shakedown and repair period Bogue joined the Atlantic Fleet in February 1943 as the nucleus of the pioneer American anti-submarine hunter-killer group. During March and April 1943 she made three North Atlantic crossings but sa nk no submarines. She departed on her fourth crossing 22 April and got her first submarine 22 May when her aircraft sank U-569 in 5040' N., 3521' W. During her fifth North Atlantic cruise her planes sank two German submarines: U-217 in 30 18' N., 4250' W., 5 June and U-118 in 3049' N. 3349' W., 12 June. On 23 July 1943, during her seventh patrol, her planes sank U-527 in 3525' N., 2756' W. George E. Badger (DD-126), of her screen, sank U-613 d uring this patrol.

Bogue's eighth patrol was her most productive with three German submarines sunk: U-86 by planes, 29 November 1943 in 3933' N., 1901' W., U-172 by planes, George E. Badger, DuPont (DD-152), Clemson (DD- 186), and Osmond Ingram (DD-255), 13 December in 2619' N., 2958' W.; and U-850 by planes, 20 December in 3254' N., 3701' W.


Bogue had a break from her anti-submarine operations during January and February 1944 when she carried a cargo of Army fighters to Glasgow, Scotland. The carrier then returned to her anti-submarine role and on 13 March her aircraft teamed with B ritish planes, Haverfield (DE-393), Hobson (DD-464), and HMCS Prince Rupert to sink U-575 in 4618' N., 2734' W.

On 5 May 1944 Bogue and her escorts departed Hampton Roads, Va., for a cruise that netted two more submarines and lasted until 2 July. Francis M. Robinson (DE-220), of the screen, sank the Japanese RO-501 (ex-German U-122 4) on 13 May and Bogue's planes sank the Japanese I-52 in 1516' N. 3955' W., on 24 June. During the next cruise, 24 July-24 September 1944, Bogue's planes sank another German submarine, U-1229, 20 August in 4220' N., 51 39' W.

Following her return in September 1944 Bogue operated on training missions out of Bermuda and Quonset Point, R. I., until February 1945 when she made a trip to Liverpool, England, with Army planes. In April 1945 she put to sea again as an anti-s ubmarine vessel, forming part of Captain G. J. Dufek's Second Barrier Force. On 24 April success came as Flaherty (DE-135), Neunzer (DE-150), Chatelain (DE-149), Varian (DE-798), Hubbard (DE-211), Janssen (DE-396) , Pillsbury (DE-133) and Keith (DE-241) sank U-546. This was the last of 13 submarines sunk by Bogue or her escorts.

With the war in the Atlantic over, Bogue moved to the Pacific, arriving at San Diego 3 July 1945. She then steamed westward to Guam, arriving 24 July. She made a trip to Adak, Alaska (19 August 6 September 1945), and then joined the "Magic Carpe t" fleet returning servicemen from the Pacific islands. She was placed out of commission in reserve 30 November 1946 at Tacoma, Wash.

Bogue received a Presidential Unit Citation and three battle stars for her World War II service.


Bohio is a type of thatched hut found in the West Indies.

(Brig: T. 197; l. 100'; b. 24'9"; dph. 9'4"; a. 2 32-pdr. S. B.)

Bohio, an armed brig, was built in 1856 at Williamsburg, N. Y., purchased by the Navy 9 September 1861: and commissioned 30 December 1861, Acting Master W. D. Gregory in command.

Bohio joined the West Gulf Blockading Squadron in January 1862 and cruised along the Louisiana and Alabama coasts. During 1862 she took four prizes and forced the scuttling of a fifth vessel. She joined Albatross in destroying the salt wo rks along St. Andrew Bay, Fla. (24 November-8 December 1862). Bohio continued on blockade duty in Pensacola Bay, Fla., and off the Texas coast until March 1864 when she was converted into a coal vessel.

She was decommissioned at New York Navy Yard 25 July 1865 and sold there 27 September 1865.


Boise is the capital of Idaho.

(CL-47: dp. 9700; l. 608'4"; b. 61'9"; dr. 24'; s. 33.5 k.; cpl. 868; a. 15 6", 8 5"; cl. Brooklyn)

Boise (CL-47) was launched 3 December 1936 by Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Newport News, Va., sponsored by Miss Salome Clark, daughter of Governor Clark of Idaho; and commissioned 12 August 1938, Captain B. V. McCandlish in comman d.

In February 1939, following a shakedown cruise to Monrovia, Liberia, and Cape Town, Union of South Africa, Boise joined Division 9, Cruisers, Battle Force, at San Pedro, Calif. Until November 1941 she operated alternately off the west coast and in Hawaiian waters. She then escorted a convoy to Manila, Philippine Islands; arriving 4 December 1941.

The outbreak of war in the Philippines, 8 December 1941, found Boise off Cebu. She joined TF 5 in the East Indies, but on 21 January 1942 struck an uncharted shoal in Sape Strait and had to retire to Colombo, Ceylon; Bombay, India; and Mare Isla nd Navy Yard for repairs. Her repairs completed, she sailed 22 June 1942 to escort a convoy to Auckland, New Zealand. She then returned to Pearl Harbor and during 31 July-10 August 1942 conducted a raiding cruise in Japanese waters as a feint to draw atte ntion away from the Guadalcanal landings. In August she escorted a convoy to the Fiji and New Hebrides Islands. During 14-18 September she helped cover the landing of Marine reinforcements on Guadalcanal. In the succeeding hard fighting she was hit by Jap anese shells in the American victory of Cape Esperance after taking six planes under fire. She made her way to Philadelphia Navy Yard where she underwent repairs (19 November 1942-20 March 1943).

Boise departed 8 June 1943 for the Mediterranean, arriving at Algiers, Algeria, 21 June. Between 10 July and 18 August 1943 she acted as a cover and fire support ship during the landing on Sicily. In September she took part in the Italian mainla nd landings at Taranto (9-10 September) and Salerno (12-19 September). She returned to New York 15 November 1943 and once again steamed to the South Pacific, arriving at Milne Bay, New Guinea, 31 December.

During January-September 1944 she took part in operations along the northern shore of New Guinea, including: Madang-Alexishafen bombardment (25-26 January); Humboldt Bay landings (22 April); Wakde-Sawar bombardment (29-30 April); Wakde-Toem landings (1 5-25 May); Biak landings (25 May-10 June); Noemfoor landings (1-2 July); Cape Sansapor landings (27 July-31 August); and the occupation of Morotai (1-30 September). The cruiser moved northward as the battle front advanced into the Philippines taking part in: Leyte invasion (20-24 October); Battle of Surigao Strait (25 October); Mindoro landings (12-17 December); Leyte-Mindoro covering action (26-29 December); Lingayen Gulf landings, with General D. MacArthur embarked (9-13 January 1945); Luzon covering fo rce (14-31 January); Bataun-Corregidor occupation (13-17 February); and Zamboanga landings (8-12 March). She then moved to Borneo for the Tarakan landings (27 April-3 May). During 3-16 June she carried General MacArthur on a 35,000 mile tour of the Centra l and Southern Philippines and Brunei Bay, Borneo, and then returned to San Pedro Calif., arriving 7 July.

The cruiser remained in the San Pedro area undergoing overhaul and training until October. She sailed 3 October for the east coast, arriving at New York 20 October. Boise remained there until decommissioned 1 July 1946. She was sold to Argentina 11 January 1951.

Boise received eleven battle stars for her service in World War II.


Bold means exhibiting or requiring daring, advancing forward to meet danger.

Bold (AMc-67) was launched 2 April 1942 by Bristol Yacht Building Co., South Bristol, Maine; sponsored by Miss Ella Gamage; and placed in service 27 May 1942. Bold was transferred to the Maritime Commission for disposal 22 July 1948.


(AM-24: dp. 620; l. 172'; b. 36'; dr. 10'; s. 15 k.; cpl. 74; a. 1 40 mm.; cl. Aggressive)

Bold (AM-424) was launched 14 March 1953 by Norfolk Naval Shipyard; sponsored by Mrs. Porter Hardy, Jr.,


wife of Representative Hardy from Virginia; and commissioned 25 September 1953, Lieutenant D. C. Pearson in command.

On 16 October 1953 Bold reported to the Commander-in-Chief, Atlantic Fleet, and was assigned to duty with Mine Forces, Atlantic Fleet. From October 1953 to February 1956 Bold underwent shakedown training and overhaul and conducted many sp ecial tests and trials for the Bureau of Ships, David Taylor Model Basin, Norfolk Naval Shipyard, and New York Naval Shipyard. She then took part in MINEX 1955. Bold's classification was changed to MSO-424, 7 February 1955. On 2 May 1955 Bold, in company with Mine Division 83, sailed for the Mediterranean for a tour of duty with the 6th Fleet. Bold returned to Charleston, S. C., 4 October 1955. Since that time she has operated at U. S. Naval Mine Defense Laboratory, Panama City , Fla., and Charleston.

Bole, John A. (DD-755) see John A. Bole (DD-755)


Bolinas is a bay in California.

(CVE-36: dp. 8333; l. 492'; b. 111'6"; dr. 26'; s. 17 k.; cpl. 890; a. 2 5"; cl. Prince William)

Bolinas (CVE-36) was launched 11 November 1942 by Seattle-Tacoma Shipbuilding Corp., Tacoma, Wash.; sponsored by Mrs. G. B. Sherwood, wife of Commander Sherwood; and commissioned 22 July 1943, Captain H. L. Meadow in command.

On 2 August 1943 after being decommissioned Bolinas was transferred to the United Kingdom under Lend-Lease and renamed HMS Begum. Begum served with the British Navy during World War II and after her return was declared surplus by t he U. S. Navy. She was sold by the Navy 16 April 1947.


Bolivar is a county in Mississippi.

(APA-34: dp. 7845; l. 492'; b. 69'6"; dr. 26'6"; s. 18.5 k.; cpl. 504; a. 2 5"; cl. Bayfield)

Bolivar (AP-79) was reclassified APA-34, 1 February 1943; launched 7 September 1942 as Sea Angel by Western Pipe and Steel Co., San Francisco, Calif., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. R. W. Ethen; transferred to the Navy 15 March 1943; commissioned the same day as Bolivar, Lieutenant Commander R. E. Perry in command, decommissioned at Hoboken, N. J., 23 April 1943 for conversion to an APA; and recommissioned 1 September 1943, Captain J. A. Gainard, USN R, in command.

Departing New York in October she arrived at San Pedro, Calif., 1 November 1943. Bolivar remained at San Pedro until 13 January 1944 training Marines in amphibious operations. Arriving at Lahaina Roads, T. H., 21 January 1944, she departed the n ext day for Kwajalein, Marshall Islands. Landing her troops on D-Day, 1 February, she returned to Pearl Harbor and remained there until departing 30 May for the Saipan invasion. Her boats carried the first wave onto Red Beach, 15 June, and she remained of f the beaches, unloading, until 22 June, when she departed for Pearl Harbor to load troops for the invasion of Guam. She departed Pearl Harbor 9 July, arrived at Guam 22 July and debarked her troops. Returning to Pearl Harbor 10 August, she departed 15 Se ptember for the projected invasion of Yap. While enroute, the Yap operation was canceled in favor of the Leyte invasion. She departed Manus, Admiralty Islands 14 October and sent her troops ashore at Leyte on D-Day, 20 October 1944.

Following a reinforcement run from Hollandia, New Guinea, to Leyte in November, she loaded troops at Torokina, Bougainville Island, for the Lingayen Gulf landings. Once again on D-Day, 9 January 1945, Bolivar's boats carried the first wave ashor e. Later in the day she departed with casualties, bound for Leyte and Ulithi Caroline Islands. She remained at Ulithi 23 January-6 February and then steamed to Guam to load Marines for the Iwo Jima assault. After landing her troops on D+3 (21 February) Bolivar remained, off Iwo Jima until 6 March. On 3 March one man was killed and two wounded by a near miss of a 75 mm. shell. In March the transport carried wounded from Iwo Jima to Saipan and then moved south to embark elements of the 81st Infantry Division as area reserve for the Okinawa invasion. As the soldiers were not needed at Okinawa, Bolivar carried them from Noumea, New Caledonia, to Leyte (3-16 May). Departing Leyte 26 May she arrived at Seattle 17 June for an overhaul. She complete d her repairs at Portland, Oreg., and between 2 September 1945 and 29 January 1948 was assigned to the "Magic Carpet" fleet, returning men from the Philippine, Marshall, Admiralty, and Caroline Islands.

Returning to California 29 January, she then proceeded to Norfolk, via the Panama Canal, arriving 8 March 1946. She was decommissioned at New York Naval Shipyard 29 April 1946 and returned to the Maritime Commission 12 September 1946.

Bolivar received five battle stars for her service in World War II.


Bollinger is a county in Missouri.

(APA-234: dp. 6720; l. 455'; b. 62'; dr. 24'; s. 17.5 k.; cpl. 536; a. 1 5"; cl. Haskell)

Bollinger (APA-234) was launched 19 November 1944 by Kaiser Co., Inc., Vancouver, Wash., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. T. Mead; transferred to the Navy 8 December 1944; and commissioned the next day, Commander C. A. Pri ntup in command.

Bollinger joined the Pacific Fleet and arrived at Pearl Harbor 19 February 1945. She departed Pearl Harbor two days later for the invasion of Iwo Jima where she provided logistic support (6-16 March). After returning to Pearl Harbor 5 April, she made a voyage to San Pedro, Calif., and back (22 April-23 May), and then carried cargo and passengers to Eniwetok, Ulithi, Okinawa, Saipan, and Guam before returning to San Francisco 29 July. Leaving San Francisco 10 August she steamed to Eniwetok, Ulith i, and the Philippines before landing occupation troops at Wakayama, Honshu, Japan (12-26 September). She made one more voyage from the Philippines to Japan in October and then returned to San Diego, arriving 15 November. The transport made another voyage across the Pacific (December 1945-January 1946) to bring men home from the Philippines. During June and July 1946 she carried passengers to Bikini Atoll for the atomic bomb tests. She then returned to cross-Pacific service and was decommissioned at San F rancisco 1 April 1947. She was returned to the Maritime Commission the following day.

Bollinger received one battle star during World War II.


Bolster means to support, hold up, or maintain.

(ARS-38: dp. 1441; l. 213'6"; b. 39'; dr. 14'8"; s. 15 k.; cpl. 120; a. 2 40 mm.; cl. Diver)

Bolster (ARS-38) was launched 23 December 1944 by Basalt Rock Co., Napa, Calif.; sponsored by Mrs. C. A.


Mayo, Jr., wife of Lieutenant Mayo, USNR; commissioned 1 May 1945, Lieutenant W. F. Lewis in command; and joined the Pacific Fleet.

On 18 July 1945, after repair duty along the California coast, Bolster departed for Pearl Harbor. She remained there until 15 August when she sailed for Yokosuka Japan. Bolster conducted repair and salvage operations in Japanese waters un til leaving for Subic Bay, Luzon, 10 October 1946. She remained in the Philippines until April 1947 and then returned to Pearl Harbor via Okinawa Guam, and Kwajalein.

Bolster operated alternately out of Pearl Harbor and Adak, Alaska, on salvage and towing duties until 22 August 1950. She then towed two barges to Sasebo Japan, and remained in the Far East until 6 July 1951. During this tour she participated in the Inchon landing (15 September 1950) and the Hungnam Evacuation (9-25 December 1950).

Since 1952 Bolster has continued to operate out of Pearl Harbor and has made six tours of the Far East, visiting Japan, Hong Kong, Korea, Okinawa, and the Philippine Islands.

Bolster received seven battle stars for her Korean service (9 September 1950-8 July 1951, 24 January-16 August 1952, and 16 February-15 April 1953).


Bombard means to assail vigorously, as with artillery.

(AM-151; dp. 530; l. 184'6"; b. 33'; dr. 10'; s. 15 k.; cpl. 104; a. 1 3"; cl. Admirable)

Bombard (AMc-128) was reclassified AM-151, 21 February 1942, launched 23 February 1943 by Tampa Shipbuilding Co., Inc., Tampa, Fla., sponsored by Mrs. Vivian Broadwater; and commissioned 31 May 1944, Lieutenant D. M. Elder, USNR, in command.

On 29 August 1944 Bombard arrived at Tutuila, Samoa, where she conducted anti-submarine patrols until 2 September when she departed for Pearl Harbor and San Francisco. She reached San Francisco 22 September and ten days later got underway for Al aska. She carried out patrol and minesweeping duties in Alaskan waters until decommissioned and transferred to the U. S. S. R., 18 July 1845 under Lend-Lease. Bombard remains in Russian hands. She was reclassified MBF-151, 7 February 1955.

Bonaci (SS-329) see Chub (SS-329)


Bond is a noun denoting a binding force or influence.

(AM-152 dp. 530; l. 184'6"; b. 33'; dr. 9'9"; a 15 k.; cpl. 104; a. 1 3"; cl. Admirable)

Bond (AMc-129) was reclassified AM-152, 21 February 1942; launched 21 October 1942 by Willamette Iron and Steel Corp., Portland, Oreg.; commissioned 30 August 1843, Lieutenant C. L. Grabenhorst, USNR, in command; and reported to the Pacific Flee t.

Between 2 October and 20 November 1943 Bond operated at San Pedro, Calif., and then steamed to the Aleutian Islands, via Pearl Harbor, arriving at Adak 13 December. Between December 1943 and June 1944 Bond performed minesweeping operation s at Adak, Attu, Dutch Harbor, Kiska, and Amchitka. On 29 June 1944 she left Dutch Harbor and steamed to San Francisco arriving 7 June.

After repairs, Bond departed San Francisco 8 August 1844 for Saipan, Marianas Islands, via Pearl Harbor and Eniwetok. Between 2 and 28 September she patrolled in the vicinity of Saipan and then commenced convoy escort operations between Saipan, Ulithi, Guam, and Eniwetok.

On 13 May 1845 Bond departed Pearl Harbor and sailed to Portland, Oreg. After undergoing repairs at Portland and later at Seattle, Wash., she sailed to Cold Bay, Alaska, where she was transferred under Lend-Lease to the U. S. S. R., 17 August 19 45. Reclassified MSF-152, 7 February 1955, Bond remains in Russian hands.


Bondia is a planetoid.

(AF-42: dp. 3139; l. 338'6"; b. 50'; dr. 21'1", s. 11.5 k.; cpl. 84; a. 13"; cl. Adria)

Bondia (AF-42) was launched 9 November 1944 by Pennsylvania Shipyards, Inc., Beaumont, Tex., under a Maritime Commission contract; transferred to the Navy 31 March 1945, commissioned 17 April 1945, Lieutenant M. L. Austin, USNR, in command; and joined the Pacific Fleet.

Bondia loaded fresh provisions at Mobile, Ala. (12-17 May 1945) and then stood out for the South Pacific, but was obliged to remain at Balboa, C. Z. (26 May-1 July) in order to obtain spare parts for her refrigeration plant. She then steamed to the Philippines and unloaded at Mindoro, Manila, and Calicoan Island (16-28 August). She carried fresh provisions from Manus, Admiralty Islands, to bases in the Philippines until 1 February 1946. She then made a voyage to the United States (1 February-3 A pril 1946) following which she provisioned units in China, Korea, and Japan. Bondia returned to San Francisco 28 June 1946; was decommissioned 29 July 1946; and returned to the Maritime Commission the same day.

Bondia was reacquired from the Maritime Administration 27 July 1851 and has since served in a non-commissioned status with the Military Sea Transportation Service in the Atlantic.


Bonefish is a name for the ladyfish, dogfish, and sturgeon.

(SS-223: dp. 1526; l. 311'9"; b. 27'3"; dr. 17'; a. 20.3 k.; cpl. 60; a. 1 4", 10 21" TT.; cl. Gato)

Bonefish (SS-223) was launched 7 May 1943 by Electric Boat Co., Groton, Conn.; sponsored by Mrs. F. A. Daubin, wife of Rear Admiral Daubin; commissioned 31 May 1943, Commander T. W. Hogan in command; and reported to the Pacific Fleet.

Bonefish arrived at Brisbane, Australia, 30 August 1943. Between 15 September 1943 and June 1945 she completed seven war patrols in the South China, East China, Java, Celebes, Sulu, and Sibuyan Seas. Bonefish sank 12 Japanese vessels tota ling 61,345 tons, including the destroyer Inazuma, 14 May 1944 in 0508' N., 11938' E.

Bonefish departed Guam 28 May 1945 for her eighth patrol as part of a submarine group under Commander G. W. Price for operations in the Sea of Japan. On the morning of 18 June Bonefish received permission to conduct a patrol of Toyama Wan , Honshu. She was never heard from again. Bonefish was probably the submarine attacked by the Japanese 18 June in 3718' N., 13725' E.

Bonefish received the Navy Unit Commendation for her first, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth war patrols as well as seven battle stars during World War II.


The keel of the second Bonefish (SS-582) was laid 3 June 1957 at New York Shipbuilding Corp., Camden, N. J.; launched 22 November 1958; and sponsored by Mrs. Lawrence L. Edge, widow of Commander Edge.


Back to the DANFS Online Main Page

Questions, Comments and Feedback

These histories are taken from Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships (US Naval Historical Center, 1959-1991). The histories may not reflect the most recent information concerning the ships' status and operations.

This section of the HG&UW site coordinated and maintained by Andrew Toppan.
Copyright © 1996-2003, Andrew Toppan. All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction, reuse, or distribution without permission is prohibited.