From the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Volume 1 (1959; reprinted with corrections 1964).


Beaumont is a city in Texas.

(PG-60: dp. 1021; l. 226'; b. 34'11"; dr. 12'8"; s. 15.5 k.; cpl. 110; a. 2 3")

Beaumont (PG-60) was built in 1930 by Friedrich Krupp Germania Werke, Kiel, Germany, as the yacht Reveler (later renamed Chalena and Carola); purchased by the Navy 23 January 1942; converted to a gunboat by Gibbs Gas Engine Co., Jacksonville, Fla., and commissioned 22 June 1942, Lieutenant Commander J. M. Cox, Jr., USNR, in command.

Assigned to the Pacific Fleet, Beaumont served on weather duty between Pearl Harbor and Midway throughout World War II. Decommissioned at Mare Island Navy Yard 19 February 1946, she was transferred to the War Shipping Administration 20 February 1947.


Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard (1818-93) was a Confederate general.

(Sch.: T. 101; s. 7 k.; a. 1 30-pdr. R., 2 12-pdr. How.)

The Confederate privateer schooner Beauregard (ex-Priscilla C. Ferguson) was captured by William O. Anderson in the Bahama Channel 12 November 1861; purchased from the Key West Prize Court 24 February 18 62; and commissioned 28 March 1862, Acting Master D. Stearns in command.

Beauregard captured ten blockade runners while serving with the East Gulf Blockading Squadron along the Florida coast (April 1862-June 1865). She also took part in attacks on Tampa (2 April 1863) and New Smyrna (28 July 1863), Fla. The schooner was sold at Key West Fla., 28 June 1865.


The beaver is an amphibious fur-bearing rodent.

(AS-5: dp. 4737; l. 380'; b. 47'; dr. 20'3"; s. 16.5 k.; cpl. 291 ; a. 4 5")

Beaver (AS-5) was launched 27 November 1909 by Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Newport News, Va.; purchased by the Navy 1 July 1917; converted to a submarine tender by Mare Island Navy Yard; and commissioned 1 October 1918, Lieutenan t Commander J. A. Logan in command.

Beaver operated along the west coast until June 1919 and then convoyed a division of submarines to the newly established submarine base at Pearl Harbor. She then steamed to the east coast where she assisted in the salvage of S-5 during 19 20. In 1921 she became flagship of Submarine Flotilla 3 and tender for Submarine Division 18, based at Portsmouth, N. H. During late 1921 and early 1922 she operated on the Asiatic Station. She returned to San Pedro, Calif., 14 April 1922 and operated in home waters until 1925 when she returned to the Far East. From 1925 to 1932 Beaver served as tender for Submarine Division 16 at Cavite, Philippine Islands and Tsingtao, China. She then served as tender for Submarine Squadron 4 at Pearl Harbor betw een 1932 and 1939. She returned to the west coast early in 1940 and spent most of the year at San Diego undergoing repairs and modernization preparatory to joining Submarine Patrol Force, Atlantic Fleet.

Joining the Atlantic Fleet she served with Submarine Squadron 7 at New London, Conn., until October 1942 and then proceeded to Roseneath, Scotland, with Submarine Squadron 50. She remained there until returning to New York in July 1943. Beaver t hen returned to the Pacific and departed San Diego 20 September 1943 for Dutch Harbor, Alaska, where she tended Submarine Squadron 45 until mid-February 1944. During this time she assisted in establishing the base at Attu Island. She returned to San Diego 12 February 1944 to establish a submarine training school. She remained at San Diego until mid-June 1945 when she began conversion into an internal combustion engine repair ship (reclassified ARG-19, 25 June 1945). Departing San Diego 28 August, she stea med via Pearl Harbor and Eniwetok, to the Far East where she remained on occupation duty until 3 May 1946. She then returned to the west coast for pre-inactivation overhaul. Decommissioned 17 July 1946, she was transferred to the War Shipping Administrati on 5 August 1946.


Beaverhead is a county in Montana.

(AK-161: dp. 2382; l. 338'8"; b. 50'; dr. 21'1"; s. 11.5 k.; cpl. 85; a. 1 3"; cl. Alamosa)

Beaverhead (AK-161) was launched 2 September 1944 by Kaiser Cargo, Inc., Richmond, Calif., under a Maritime Commission contract; transferred to the Navy 3 January 1945, and commissioned the same day, Lieutenant Commander O. F. Weymouth, USNR, in command.

Beaverhead operated out of Manus, Admiralty Islands, (15 March-5 December 1945) on supply runs to Philippine bases. Returning to the east coast via the Panama Canal she arrived at New York 29 January 1946. She was decommissioned 8 March 1946 and returned to the Maritime Commission 13 March 1946.


Born in Chicago, Ill., 24 February 1914, Gus George Bebas was appointed an Ensign, USNR, 26 May 1938 and a Naval Aviator 5 September 1941. He won the Distinguished Flying Cross during the Battle of Midway while attached to Bombing Squadron 8 based on b oard Hornet (CV-8). Ensign Bebas was killed in an airplane crash 19 July 1942.

(DE-10: dp. 1140; l. 289'5"; b. 35'1"; dr. 11'; s. 21 k.; cpl. 156; a. 3 3"; cl. Evarts)

Bebas (DE-10) was originally intended for Great Britain under Lend-Lease as BDE-10, but taken over for American use and reclassified DE-10, 25 January 1943. She was launched by Boston Navy Yard 9 January 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Angeline M. Bebas , mother of Ensign Bebas; and commissioned 15 May 1943, Lieutenant Commander G. B. Gilbertson, USNR, in command.

Bebas patrolled along the east coast until she got underway for the Pacific 24 August 1943. From 28 September 1943 to 12 April 1944 she patrolled out of Espiritu Santo, New Hebrides; Guadalcanal; and New Caledonia. Bebas returned to San F rancisco 26 May, via Pearl Harbor. Departing San Francisco 31 May she escorted convoys to Pearl Harbor; Majuro Atoll, and Eniwetok, Marshall Islands; then served in the Southwest Pacific during September-December 1944 with a hunter-killer group. During De cember 1944-April 1945 she patrolled off Peleliu, Palau Islands, and between Ulithi and Eniwetok. On 1 May Bebas arrived off Okinawa and patrolled there until 30 June. During 10 July-15 August she supported the 3rd Fleet raids against Japan.

Bebas returned to San Francisco 9 September 1945 was decommissioned there 18 October 1945; and sold 8 January 1947.

Bebas received three battle stars during World War II.





Beckham is a county in Oklahoma.

(APA-133: dp. 6873; l. 455'; b. 62'; dr. 24'; s. 17.5 k.; cpl. 536; a. 1 5"; cl. Haskell)

Beckham (APA-133) was launched 14 October 1944 by California Shipbuilding Corp., Los Angeles, Calif., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. Frank J. Connolly; transferred to the Navy 9 December 1944; and commissioned the follow ing day, Captain A. Sodergren in command.

Beckham carried troops and cargo from Pearl Harbor to Eniwetok, Marshall Islands; Ulithi, Caroline Islands; the Marianas; and Okinawa until 5 September 1945. With the cessation of hostilities Beckham operated out of Okinawa on occupation duty until departing for the United States 7 January 1946. Arriving at Norfolk, Va., 7 March 1946, she was decommissioned there 25 April 1946 and returned to the Maritime Commission four days later.

Beckham received two battle stars for carrying reinforcements to Iwo Jima (2-9 March 1945) and Okinawa (24-27 June 1945).


The becuna is a pike-like fish of Europe.

(SS-319: dp. 1526; l. 311'9"; b. 27'3"; dr. 16'10"; s. 20.3 k.; cpl. 66; a. 1 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Balao)

Becuna (SS-319) was launched 30 January 1944 by Electric Boat Co., Groton, Conn.; sponsored by Mrs. George C. Crawford, wife of Commander Crawford, and commissioned 27 May 1944, Lieutenant Commander H. D. Sturr in command.

Becuna departed New London 1 July 1944 and arrived at Pearl Harbor 29 July. Her war operations extended from 23 August 1944 to 27 July 1945. During this period she completed five war patrols in the Philippines, South China Sea, and Java Sea. Becuna is credited with having sunk two Japanese tankers totaling 3888 tons.

The submarine arrived at Subic Bay, Luzon, from her last war patrol 27 July 1945. In September 1945 she arrived at San Diego, Calif. Becuna continued to operate with Submarine Force, Pacific Fleet, until April 1949 when she was ordered to Submar ine Force, Atlantic Fleet, as a unit of Submarine Squadron 8.

Between May 1949 and May 1950 she conducted refresher training exercises and also assisted in training of student officers and men at New London, Conn. In November 1950 she returned to Electric Boat Co., for a complete modernization overhaul, being ref itted as a Guppy-type submarine. Overhaul completed in August 1951, Becuna sailed to the Caribbean for shakedown. She returned to New London in September 1951.

Becuna has since operated with the Atlantic Fleet making two cruises with the 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean and one to Scotland. Other than these extended cruises, the majority of Becuna's service has been conducted at New London as a tr aining submarine.

Becuna received four battle stars for her World War II service.

Bedford Victory

Bedford is the name of cities in Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Iowa, Virginia, and Vermont.

(AK-231: dp. 4480; l. 455'; b. 62'; dr. 24'; s. 15.5 k.; cpl. 99; a. 1 5", 1 3"; cl. Boulder Victory)

Bedford Victory (AK-231) was launched 53 September 1944 by Permanente Metals Co., Yard No. 1, Richmond Calif., under a Maritime Commission contract sponsored by Mrs. R. A. Kremp; transferred to the Navy 11 November 1944; and commissioned the sam e day, Lieutenant Commander D. A. Durrant, USNR, in command.

Bedford Victory arrived at Pearl Harbor 21 December 1944. She operated out of Saipan and in the Philippines providing logistic support to the fleet until 7 November 1945, including one voyage to Okinawa where she unloaded supplies for the troops ashore (25 April-7 June 1945). She returned to Seattle, Wash., 19 November 1945; was decommissioned at San Francisco 26 March 1946; and returned to the Maritime Commission three days later.

Bedford Victory received one battle star for her service at Okinawa.

Beeville (PC-17) see PC-17


Fay Broughton Begor was born in Moriah, N. Y., 15 October 1916 and received his M. D. from McGill University. Appointed a Lieutenant (junior grade), USNR in 1942, Dr. Begor was killed in action on board a landing craft in the Pacific 9 September 1943. He was posthumously awarded the Navy Cross.

(APD-127: dp. 1450; l. 306'; b. 36'10"; dr. 13'; s. 24 k.; cpl. 256; a. 1 5"; cl. Crosley)

Originally DE-711, Begor was reclassified APD-127, 17 July 1944 and converted to a high speed transport during construction. She was launched 25 May 1944 by Defoe Shipbuilding Co., Bay City, Mich.; sponsored by Mrs. F. B. Begor, widow of Lieuten ant (junior grade) Begor; and commissioned 14 March 1945, Lieutenant Commander B. T. Brooks, USNR, in command.

Assigned to the Pacific Fleet Begor arrived at Pearl Harbor 30 May 1945. She arrived at Guam 17 August after escorting convoys among the Marshall, Caroline, and Philippine Islands (June-August 1945). Departing 20 August with UDT-21 embarked, she joined 3rd Fleet units enroute to occupy Japan. Begor entered Sagami Wan 27 August and on the 30th her frogmen reconnoitered the landing beaches over which the occupation forces landed the next day. Proceeding to Yokosuka Naval Dock Yard, she assi sted in the demilitarization of the vessels there and made dock surveys until departing for the United States 25 September. Begor arrived at San Diego, Calif., 21 October 1945.

The transport operated along the west coast until June 1946 when she sailed for Bikini Atoll to act as a drone control vessel during the atomic bomb tests. Begor returned in October and during the next tour years carried out normal peacetime ope rations along the west coast and made two cruises to the Far East (July 1947-February 1948 and August-December 1949).

During the Korean conflict Begor served two tours. The first (7 December 1950-September 1951) included participation in the Hungnam Evacuation (9-24 December) and the landing of UDTs and British Commandos behind enemy lines for reconnaissance an d demolition missions. The second (14 November 1952-12 August 1953) consisted of patrol and UDT operations, as well as participation in the post-Armistice prisoner of war exchange.

Since Korea, Begor has continued alternating between the west coast and the Far East. She made a Far Eastern cruise between July 1954 and March 1955, during which she participated in the Vietnamese "Passage to Freedom" (16 August-30 September).

Begor received five battle stars for her Korean service.

Belair (PC-1191) see PC-1191


Born in Blairstown, N. J., 6 August 1914, Robert Alfred Belet enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1937. Master Technical Sergeant Belet was killed in action on Guadalcanal


12 September 1942. He was posthumously awarded a Silver Star.

(APD-109: dp. 1390; l. 306'; b. 37'; dr. 12'7"; s. 23.6 k.; cpl. 204; a. 1 5"; cl. Crosley)

Belet was launched 3 March 1944 by Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc., Hingham, Mass., as DE-599; sponsored by Mrs. Robert A. Belet, Sergeant Belet's widow; converted into an APD by her builders (reclassified APD-109, 17 July 1944); and commission ed 15 June 1945, Lieutenant Commander A. P. Merrill, USNR, in command.

Belet reported to San Diego 27 August 1945 for duty with Transport Division 111, Amphibious Forces, Pacific Fleet. She transported troops in the Pacific until arriving at Wakayama, Japan, for occupation duty 13 October. After arriving at San Fra ncisco 14 January 1946 with returning servicemen, she steamed to Boston Naval Shipyard for repairs. She then sailed to Jacksonville, Fla., where she was placed out of commission in reserve 22 May 1946.


Belfast is a city in Maine.

(PF-35: dp. 1430; l. 303'11"; b. 37'6"; dr. 13'8"; s. 19 k.; cpl. 180; a. 3 3"; cl. Tacoma)

Belfast (PF-35) was launched 20 May 1943 by Consolidated Steel Corp., Ltd., Wilmington, Calif., under a Maritime Commission contract, sponsored by Miss Elizabeth C. Wilson; and commissioned 24 November 1943, Lieutenant Commander J. J. Hutson, Jr ., USCG, in command.

The Coast Guard manned Belfast joined the 7th Fleet at Cairns, Australia, 29 May 1944 and served as a patrol vessel and convoy escort. She took part in the landings at Noemtoor Island (2 July 1944) and Cape Opmari, New Guinea (30 July 1944). Belfast helped escort one of the follow-up convoys to Leyte and remained in the area between 29 October and 8 December 1944. On 30 December she got underway for Boston, arriving 24 January 1945. There, she underwent repair and overhaul preparatory to transfer to the U.S.S.R. under Lend-Lease. Departing Boston 28 March 1945 she steamed to Alaska and, following a short familiarization period for a Russian crew, was transferred 12 July 1945. Belfast was lost off Petropavlovsk, Kamchatka, 17 Novemb er 1948 while in Russian hands.

Belfast received two battle stars for her operations in the Southwest Pacific.


Born in Newport, N. H., in 1832, George Eugene Belknap was appointed a Midshipman in 1847. He commanded Canonicus during the attacks on Fort Fisher, N. C., and Hartford during the Formosa Expedition of 1867. Appointed Rear Admiral 12 Febr uary 1889, he retired 22 January 1894. Rear Admiral Belknap died at Key West, Fla., 7 April 1903.

(DD-251: dp. 1215; l. 314'4"; b. 31'8"; dr. 9'10";s. 35 k.; cpl. 122; a. 4 4", 1 3", 12 21" TT.; cl. Clemson)

Belknap (DD-251) was launched 14 January 1919 by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Quincy, Mass., sponsored by Miss Frances Georgiana Belknap, granddaughter of Admiral Belknap; and commissioned 28 April 1919, Lieutenant Commander S. Gassee in comman d.

Following her shakedown cruise, Belknap joined U. S. Naval Forces, Eastern Mediterranean. After several months she returned to the United States and served with Division 28, Atlantic Fleet, until placed in reserve at Charleston Navy Yard in 1920 . She was decommissioned 28 June 1922 at Philadelphia Navy Yard and remained there until 1940.

During 1940 Belknap was converted into a seaplane tender (reclassified AVD-8, 2 August 1940) and recommissioned 22 November 1940. She was assigned to Patrol Wing 5 at Hamilton, Bermuda, and remained there until early 1941 when she returned to Ne wport, R. I. Between May and September 1941 she made three voyages from Newport to Newfoundland and Iceland. She remained at Reykjavik, Iceland, during September 1941-May 1942 and then went to Charleston Navy Yard for an extensive overhaul. From August 19 42 to January 1943 she patrolled in the Caribbean and between February 1943 and January 1944 she served with Bogue (CVE-9), Croatan (CVE-25), and Core (CVE-13) hunter-killer groups in the Atlantic. Reclassified DD-251, 14 November 194 3, Belknap received the Presidential Unit Citation for her service with TG 21.12 (Bogue group), 20 April-20 June 1943. Following convoy duty along the east and Gulf coasts (February-June 1944), Belknap underwent conversion into a high speed transport (reclassified APD-34, 22 June 1944).

Conversion completed, Belknap arrived in the Pacific during September 1944. During 18-22 October she served as a screen ship during the Leyte invasion and during 3-11 January 1945 as a shore bombardment and beach reconnaissance vessel at the Lin gayen Gulf, Luzon, landings. On 11 January she trained all her guns on a Japanese suicide plane which crashed into Belknap's number two stack, crippling her engines, killing 38 men and wounding 49. Belknap remained at Lingayen making emergen cy repairs until 18 January when Hidatsa (ATF-102) towed her to Manus, Admiralty Islands. Following temporary repairs at Manus, Belknap proceeded to Philadelphia Navy Yard via the west coast, arriving 18 June. Decommissioned 4 August 1945, Belknap was sold 30 November 1945 for scrapping.

In addition to her Presidential Unit Citation, Belknap received three battle stars for her World War II service.


Henry H. Bell was born in North Carolina in 1808 and appointed a Midshipman 4 August 1823. During the Civil War he served as Fleet-Captain of the West Gulf Blockading Squadron under Admiral Farragut. Promoted to Rear Admiral 25 July 1866, he was drowne d when his barge capsized in Osaka Harbor, Japan, 11 January 1868.


(DD-95: dp. 1191; l. 314'5"; b. 31'9"; dr. 9'2"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 122; a. 4 4", 12 21" TT; cl. Little)

The first Bell (DD-95) was launched 20 April 1918 by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Quincy, Mass.; sponsored by Mrs. Josephus Daniels, wife of the Secretary of the Navy; and commissioned 31 July 1918, Lieutenant Commander D. L. Howard in command.

From August to November 1918 Bell convoyed troop ships across the North Atlantic and in December formed part of the escort for George Washington (No. 3018), carrying President Woodrow Wilson from New York to Brest, France. Bell con tinued serving with the Atlantic Fleet until placed in reserve in June 1920. She was decommissioned at Portsmouth Navy Yard 21 June 1922. Bell remained out of commission until August 1936 when she was declared in excess of the limits imposed by the London Naval Treaty of 1930 and reduced to a hulk. She was subsequently sold.


(DD-587: dp. 2050; l. 376'5"; b. 39'7"; dr. 17'9"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 329; a. 5 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Fletcher)

The second Bell (DD-587) was launched 24 June 1942 by Charleston Navy Yard, sponsored by Mrs. Clea Cooke Hulse, great-grandniece of Admiral Bell; and commissioned 4 March 1943, Commander L. C. Peatross in command.


Until November 1943 Bell operated on patrol and escort in the North Atlantic, making one voyage to Britain in August. She got underway for the Pacific 6 November and arrived at Pearl Harbor 27 November. Bell then joined TF 58 for the Kavi eng, New Ireland, strikes (25 December 1943, 1 and 4 January 1944); Kwajalein, Marshall Islands, invasion (29 January-2 February); Truk strike (17-18 February), Marianas raid (21-22 February); Carolines strike (30 March-1 April); Hollandia landings (21-24 April); Saipan invasion (12-24 June); 1st Bonins raid (15-16 June); Battle of the Philippine Sea (19-20 June); 2nd Bonins raid (24 June), 3rd Bonins raid (3-4 July); Guam invasion (21 July); western Carolines raids (25-28 July); 4th Bonins raid (4-5 Augu st); Palau raids (6-8 September); Philippine Islands raids (9-24 September); Okinawa raid (10 October); and with TF 38 in the Formosa raids (12-17 October). Bell formed part of the escort of the crippled Houston (CL-81) and Canberra ( CA-70) from off Formosa to Ulithi (15-29 October). She then rejoined the 3rd Fleet for strikes against Luzon (5 November-16 December) and the invasion of Lingayen Gulf, Luzon (4-18 January 1945).

During the late evening of 31 January 1945 while in 1320' N., 11920' E., she joined O'Bannon (DD-450) and Ulvert M. Moore (DE-442) in sinking the Japanese submarine RO-115. Bell returned to Puget Sound Navy Yard for repairs, arriving 27 February. She departed the west coast 22 April and arrived at Leyte 29 May. From there she steamed to the Brunei Bay (7-10 June) and Balikpapan, Borneo, (1-3 July) landings. Bell patrolled and escorted convoys in the Philippin es until the end of the war and then served on occupation duty at Okinawa, China, and Korea until 14 December 1945 when she left for San Francisco, arriving 4 January 1946. Placed out of commission in reserve 14 June 1946, she joined the San Diego Group, Pacific Reserve Fleet.

Bell received twelve battle stars for her participation in World War II.

Bell, J. Franklin (AP-34) see J. Franklin Bell (AP-34)


Bella is the diminutive of Arabella or Isabella.

(AK: dp. 2300; l. 235'; b. 31'8"; dr. 15'9"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 51; a. 2 3")

Bella (No. 2211), a cargo vessel, was built in 1906 by Swan, Hunter, and Wigham Richardson, Ltd., Newcastle England; purchased by the Navy 22 February 1918; and commissioned at the Naval Air Station, Paulliac, France 16 March 1918, Lieutenant (j unior grade) J. H. Crozier, USCG, in command.

Bella carried aviation supplies and equipment between European ports until transferred to the Army Transport Service at Bordeaux, France 27 February 1919. The Navy, however, continued to man and operate her until she returned to Philadelphia 29 November 1919. Decommissioned there 20 February 1920, Bella was sold 2 August 1920.


Bellatrix is a star in the constellation Orion.

(AK-20: dp. 8045; l. 459'1"; b. 63'; dr. 26'5"; s. 16.5 k.; cpl. 369; a. 1 5", 4 3"; cl. Bellatrix)

Bellatrix was laid down by Tampa Shipbuilding Co., Tampa, Fla., for the Maritime Commission as Raven; transferred to the Navy 16 April 1941; launched as Bellatrix 15 August 1941; sponsored by Miss Sally Taliaferro; and commi ssioned 17 February 1942, Commander W. F. Dietrich in command. Bellatrix was reclassified AKA-3, 1 February 1943.

Joining the Pacific Fleet, Bellatrix steamed to the South Pacific to take part in the Guadalcanal invasion (7-10 August 1942) and made three supply and reinforcement runs to Guadalcanal (13 September 1942-15 January 1943). She then returned to t he United States, arriving at Charleston, S. C., 9 March to load troops and supplies for the Sicilian invasion (10-11 July).

Departing the Mediterranean 22 July she reached Norfolk 3 August and San Francisco, Calif., 10 September. After loading cargo at Wellington, New Zealand, 23 October-1 November, she carried it to Tarawa (20 25 November) but did not unload as failure of her port engine (22 November) forced Bellatrix to return to San Francisco for repairs. She left San Francisco 17 March 1944, arrived Pearl Harbor 23 March, and departed 29 May for the invasion of Saipan. She arrived off the objective 16 June and af ter taking part in a feint, unloaded her cargo during 16-21 June. Returning via Kwajalein and Pearl Harbor she arrived at San Diego 21 July 1944. Bellatrix joined Amphibious Training Command, Pacific Fleet 1 August 1944 and operated on training dut y off California until 9 September 1945. She then carried cargo between California ports until decommissioned 1 April 1946. She was returned to the Maritime Commission 1 July 1946.

Reacquired from the Maritime Commission 27 August 1951 and recommissioned 16 May 1952, Bellatrix operated as a cargo vessel between the west coast, Japan, and Alaska until 28 June 1953. During June 1953-January 1955 she operated off California o n training duty and following five months of inactivity was placed out of commission in reserve at San Francisco 3 June 1965.

Bellatrix received five battle stars in World War II and one during the Korean conflict.


Belle is a feminine proper name.

(ScStr: T. 52; l. 61'4"; b. 15'; dr. 8'; s. 10 k.; cpl. 19; a. 1 24-pdr. S. B., 1 12-pdr. R.)

Belle, a screw steamer, was built in 1864 at Philadelphia, Pa.; purchased by the Navy at Boston 2 June 1864; and commissioned later in the month, Acting Master J. G. Green in command.

Belle joined the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron and served as a dispatch vessel along the North Carolina coast. She took part in the capture of Plymouth, N. C., 31 October 1864. Ordered north in May 1866, Belle was sold at New York 12 July 1866.

Belle Grove

Belle Grove, in King George County, Va., was the birthplace of President James Madison.

(LSD-2: dp. 4490; l. 457'9"; b. 72'2"; dr. 18'; s. 15.4 k.; cpl. 326; a. 1 5"; cl. Ashland)

Belle Grove (LSD-2) was launched 17 February 1943 by Moore Dry Dock Co., Oakland, Calif.; sponsored by Mrs. George M. Lowry, wife of Lieutenant Commander Lowry, USNR; and commissioned 9 August 1943, Lieutenant Commander M. Seavey, USNR, i n command.

Reporting to the Pacific Fleet Belle Grove participated in the Gilbert Islands operation (20 November-2 December 1943) and the seizure of Kwajalein, Marshall Islands (31 January-8 February 1944). Returning to Pearl Harbor, Belle Grove ope rated as a cargo vessel until May, visiting the Solomon, New Hebrides, Admiralty, and Russell Islands. Between 15 June and 28 July 1944 she took part in the capture and occupation of Saipan and Tinian, Marianas Islands.

After an overhaul at Pearl Harbor, Belle Grove assisted in the Leyte operation, making three voyages between Hollandia and Leyte loaded with troops, landing craft,


and other equipment (20 October-21 November 1944). On 9 January 1945 she landed troops and equipment at Lingayen Gulf and returned to Leyte. She then steamed to Saipan to load supplies for the forthcoming invasion of Iwo Jima. Off Iwo Jima from 19 Febr uary to 20 March 1945, Belle Grove provided logistic support and served as a floating dry dock for landing craft.

Returning to Pearl Harbor she underwent a yard period and then transported landing craft between the Marshall, Marianas, and Philippine Islands. With the cessation of hostilities, Belle Grove continued on transportation duty in the Southwest and Western Pacific. During November and December she transported occupation troops to China and Japan and returned to San Diego 31 December 1945. Soon afterwards, she began pre-inactivation overhaul and on 30 August 1946 went out of commission in reserve. < /P>

Following the outbreak of hostilities in Korea, Belle Grove was readied for active duty. She was recommissioned 27 December 1950 and reported to the Pacific Fleet. Belle Grove continued serving with the Pacific Fleet until departing San D iego 16 April 1951 for Norfolk, Va. She operated with the Atlantic Fleet, making one Mediterranean cruise (8 January-22 May 1952), during the next two years. Leaving Norfolk 9 April 1953 she rejoined the Pacific Fleet for operations out of Seattle, Wash., and San Diego, Calif. Although operating mostly in Alaskan waters Belle Grove also served in the Central Pacific and made one Far Eastern cruise.

Belle Grove received seven battle stars for her World War II service.

Belle Isle

Belle Isle is an island in Michigan.

(AG-73: dp. 5766; l. 441'6"; b. 56'11"; dr. 24'9"; s. 12.5 k.; cpl. 891; a. 1 5"; cl. Belle Isle)

Belle Isle (AG-73) was launched 3 November 1944 by New England Shipbuilding Corp., South Portland. Maine. under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Miss Sally Goding; transferred to the Navy 15 November 1944, commissioned the same day, Lieutenant Commander J. H. Graves, USNR, in command; ferried to Bethlehem Steel Co., Hobaken, N. J.; decommissioned 18 November; converted into an electronics repair vessel; and recommissioned 13 July 1945.

Belle Isle joined Service Division 104, Service Squadron 10, Pacific Fleet, and arrived off Okinawa 7 October 1945. She serviced fleet units there and then proceeded to Wakayama, Japan, arriving 15 December. Remaining in Japanese waters until 31 March 1946, Belle Isle returned to San Francisco and then transferred to San Diego where she was placed out of commission in reserve 30 August 1946. She was reclassified AKS-21, 18 August 1951.

Belle, Western see Western Belle

Belleau Wood

Belleau Wood, near Chateau Thierry, France, was the scene of a World War I battle, 6 June 1918.

(CVL-24: dp. 11,000; l. 622'6"; b. 109'2"; dr. 26'; s. 31.6 k.; cpl. 1569; a. 26 40 mm.; cl. Independence)

New Haven (CL-76) was reclassified CV-24 and renamed Belleau Wood 16 February 1942. She became CVL-24 on 15 July 1943. Belleau Wood was launched 6 December 1942 by New York Shipbuilding Corp., Camden, N. J.; sponsored by Mrs. Thoma s Holcomb, wife of the Commandant of the Marine Corps; and commissioned 31 March 1943, Captain A. M. Pride in command.

After a brief shakedown cruise Belleau Wood reported to the Pacific Fleet, arriving at Pearl Harbor 26 July 1943. After supporting the occupation of Baker Island (1 September) and taking part in the Tarawa (18 September) and Wake Island (5-6 Oct ober) raids, she joined TF 50 for the invasion of the Gilbert Islands (19 November-4 December 1943).

Belleau Wood operated with TF 58 during the seizure of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls, Marshall Islands (29 January-3 February 1944), Truk raid (16-17 February); Saipan-Tinian-Rota-Guam raids (21-22 February); Palau-Yap-Ulithi-Woleai raid (30 March -1 April); Sawar and Wakde Island raids in support of the landings at Hollandia, New Guinea (22-24 April); Truk-Satawan-Ponape raid (29 April-1 May); occupation of Saipan (11-24 June), 1st Bonins raid (15-16 June), Battle of the Philippine Sea (19-20 June ); and 2nd Bonins raid (24 June). During the Battle Of the Philippine Sea, Belleau Wood's planes sank the Japanese carrier Hiyo.

After an overhaul at Pearl Harbor (29 June-31 July 1944) Belleau Wood rejoined TF 58 for the last stages of the occupation of Guam (2-10 August). She joined TF 38 and took part in the strikes in support of the occupation of the southern Palaus ( 6 September-14 October); Philippine Islands raids (9-24 September); Morotai landings (15 September); Okinawa raid (10 October); northern Luzon and Formosa raids (11-14 October); Luzon strikes (15 and 17-19 October), and the Battle of Cape Engaño (2 4-26 October). On 30 October, while Belleau Wood was patrolling with her task group east of Leyte, she shot down a Japanese suicide plane which fell on her flight deck aft causing fires which set off ammunition. Before the holocaust could be brough t under control 92 men were killed or missing.

After temporary repairs at Ulithi (2-11 November), Belleau Wood steamed to Hunter's Point, Calif., for permanent repairs and an overhaul, arriving 29 November. She departed San Francisco Bay 20 January 1945 and joined TF 58 at Ulithi on 7 Februa ry. During 15 February-4 March she took part in the raids on Honshu Island, Japan, and the Nansei Shoto, as well as supporting the landings on Iwo Jima. She also took part in the 5th Fleet strikes against Japan (17 March-26 May) and the 3rd Fleet strikes (27 May-11 June). After embarking a new air group at Leyte (13 June-1 July) she rejoined the 3rd Fleet for the final strikes against the Japanese home islands (10 July-15 August).

Belleau Wood launched her planes 2 September for the mass flight over Tokyo, Japan, during the surrender ceremonies. She remained in Japanese waters until 13 October. Arriving at Pearl Harbor 28 October, she departed three days later with 1248 s ervicemen for San Diego. She remained on "Magic Carpet" duty, returning servicemen from Guam and Saipan to San Diego, until 31 January 1946. During the next year Belleau Wood was moored at various docks in the San Francisco area undergoing inactiva tion. She was placed out of commission in reserve at Alameda Naval Air Station 13 January 1947. She remained in reserve until transferred to France 5 September 1953 under the Mutual Defense Assistance Program.

Belleau Wood received the Presidential Unit Citation and twelve battle stars during World War II.


Bellerophon was a character in Greek mythology.

(ARL-31: dp. 2125; l. 328'; b. 50'; dr. 14'; s. 11.6 k.; cpl. 253; a. 1 3'; cl. Achelous)

LST-1132 was reclassified ARL-31, 14 August 1944, but launched 7 March 1945 by Chicago Bridge and Iron Co., Seneca, Ill., as LST-1132; sponsored by Mrs. Hazel Simcox Witherspoon; and commissioned 19 March 1945, Lieutenant P. P. Wyn n in command. She departed 21 March 1945 for Alabama Dry Dock and Shipbuilding Co.,


Mobile, Ala., where on 31 March 1945 she was placed out of commission for conversion to a landing craft repair ship. Conversion was completed 21 July 1945 and she was placed in commission as Bellerophon (ARL 31).

The ship's first and only assignment was as a repair ship for boat pools in the San Francisco Bay area. She remained on this duty until 26 November 1947 when she commenced her pre-inactivation overhaul. Bellerophon was placed out of commission i n reserve at San Diego 26 March 1948.


Bellingham is a city in Washington.

(AK: dp. 10,800; l. 396'; b. 53'; dr. 27'; s. 10.5 k.; cpl. 70; cl. Bellingham)

Bellingham, a cargo vessel, was built in 1918 by Seattle Construction and Dry Dock Co., Seattle, Wash., under a Shipping Board contract; transferred to the Navy 30 October 1918; and commissioned the same day, Commander C. O. W. Lofstrom, USNRF, in command.

Bellingham was assigned to the Naval Overseas Transportation Service and as her first duty carried a cargo of nitrate from Arica, Chile, to the east coast. She then carried rails and cotton from Charleston, S. C., to Europe. Upon her retu rn Bellingham was decommissioned 10 May 1919 at Brooklyn, N. Y., and returned to the Shipping Board the same day.


Bellona was goddess of war in Roman mythology.

(ARL-32: dp. 2125; l. 328'; b. 50'; dr. 14'; s. 11.6 k.; cpl. 253; a. 1 3"; cl. Achelous)

LST-1136 was reclassified ARL-32, 14 August 1944 but launched 26 March 1945 by Chicago Bridge and Iron Co., Seneca, Ill., as LST-1136; sponsored by Miss Huberta Jean Malsie, daughter of Lieutenant Commander Malsie; and commissione d 6 April 1945, Lieutenant P. P. Wynn in command. LST-1136 was placed out of commission 27 April 1945, converted to a landing craft repair ship at Bethlehem Steel Co., Key Highway Shipyard, Baltimore, Md.; and recommissioned 26 July 1945 as Bell ona (ARL-32).

Bellona was assigned to the Pacific Fleet and arrived at San Diego in September 1945. She departed San Diego 11 October for Pearl Harbor where she remained until the 31st. She then proceeded to Iwo Jima, arriving 14 November. She operated in the vicinity of Iwo Jima until 1 December 1945, when at 0655, she was accidentally grounded on Kama Rocks. Moctobi (ATF-105) attempted salvage operations but could not free Bellona. A total loss, Bellona was destroyed 14 May 1946.

Bellows, Joseph F. (SP-323) see Joseph F. Bellows (SP-323)


Beltrami is a county in Minnesota.

(AK-162; dp. 2483; l. 338'8"; b. 50'; dr. 21'1"; s. 11.5 k.; cpl. 85; a. 1 3"; cl. Alamosa)

Beltrami (AK-162) was launched 26 September 1944 by Kaiser Cargo, Inc., Richmond, Calif., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. Marvin A. Thrash, transferred to the Navy 4 January 1945; and commissioned the same day, Lieutenant G. W. Rahill USNR, in command.

Assigned to Service Force, Pacific Fleet, Beltrami departed the west coast 19 February 1945 for the Solomon Islands. She carried cargo among the Admiralty, Caroline, Marianas, and Philippine Islands until after the close of hostilities. Arriving at Shanghai, China, 18 November, she remained there until leaving for the United States 26 January 1946. Beltrami arrived at San Francisco 23 February and Baltimore, Md., 9 April.

Following an overhaul at Boston Navy Yard she joined TF 68, 15 July 1946 for Operation Nanook, the resupply of Arctic weather stations. Following her return to Boston the cargo vessel operated from Bayonne, N. J., and Norfolk shuttling cargo to the Car ibbean. She also made one voyage to Newfoundland and three to the Mediterranean (11 February-15 April 1949, 8 October-2 December 1949, and 15 June-7 August 1951) as well as one to England and Casablanca, French Morocco (20 July-8 September 1950). Placed i n commission in reserve at Charleston Naval Shipyard, 1 August 1955, she was towed to Savannah, Ga. and placed out of commission in reserve 10 November 1955.


Belusan, a 200-ton gunboat, was captured in the Philippines in 1898 but never commissioned.


(IX-187: dp. 8537; l. 517'6"; b. 64'; dr. 28'4"; s. 10.5 k.; cpl. 70; a. 1 4", 2 3")

The first Belusan (IX-187), a tanker, was built in 1920 by Howaldtswerke, Kiel, Germany, as Vistula: bare-boat chartered from the War Shipping Administration; taken over at Brisbane, Australia, 11 February 1945; and commissioned 14 Februa ry 1945, Lieutenant Commander W. C. Allen in command.

Attached to Service Force, 7th Fleet, Belusan served as a shuttle tanker in Australian waters until departing 1 April for Humboldt Bay New Guinea, and Subic Bay, Luzon. She arrived at Subic Bay 24 April and moved to Manila Bay 5 May. On 17 Augus t she carried a cargo of gasoline to Lingayen Gulf. After stripping at Cavite Navy Yard and Subic Bay (10 November 1945-7 January 1946), she was decommissioned 7 January at Subic Bay and returned to the War Shipping Administration the same day.

Ben Morgan

Ben Morgan was a merchant name retained.

(Ship: T. 407; dr. 15'; cpl. 26)

Ben Morgan, a ship, was built in 1826 at Philadelphia, Pa., as Mediator; purchased at New York 27 May 1861; and commissioned later in the year, Acting Master J. B. Gordon in command. She served as an ordnance store vessel an d hospital ship with the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron in Hampton Roads, Va., until 1865. She was sold at New York, 30 November 1865.

Benbow, Lake see Lake Benbow


Benevolence is the disposition to do good or a charity given.

(AH-13: dp. 11,141; l. 520'; b. 71'6"; dr. 24'; s. 18.5 k.; cpl. 564; cl. Haven)

Benevolence (AH-13) was launched 10 July 1944 by Sun Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Chester, Pa., under a Maritime Commission contract as Marine Lion; sponsored by Mrs. Daisy Hunter, transferred to the Navy 31 July 1944; converted to a hospital ship by Todd-Erie Basin Shipyard, Inc., Brooklyn, N. Y.; and commissioned 12 May 1945, Captain C. C. Laws in command.

Benevolence departed for the Pacific 17 June 1945 and arrived at Eniwetok Atoll, Marshall Islands, 27 July.


There she received sick and wounded brought back from the 3rd Fleet operations against the Japanese home islands. Departing Eniwetok 2 August, she joined the 3rd Fleet on the 20th for its last strikes against Japan. Benevolence anchored off Yoko suka, Japan, 29 August to begin processing liberated Allied prisoners of war. She remained in Japanese waters until 27 November 1945 and then carried wounded back to the United States. She arrived at San Francisco 12 December. Between December 1945 and 15 February 1946 she made three round trips between San Francisco and Pearl Harbor returning wounded servicemen to the United States.

Following an overhaul which lasted until 1 April 1946, she joined JTF 1 for Operation Crossroads. Departing San Francisco 27 April, she arrived at Bikini Atoll 22 May. Benevolence remained in the area through the atomic bomb tests and then retur ned to San Francisco, arriving 8 September.

She sailed from San Francisco 27 September 1946 for Tsingtao, China, where she lay between 14 October 1946 and 3 March 1947 receiving and transferring patients. She returned to San Francisco 18 March 1947. Upon her return she commenced inactivation and was placed out of commission in reserve 13 September 1947, attached to the San Francisco Reserve Group.

On 25 August 1950 while returning from sea trials, prior to her assignment to the Military Sea Transportation Service, Benevolence collided with the freighter Mary Luckenback and sank off San Francisco.

Benevolence received one battle star for World War II service.


Benewah is a county in Idaho.

(APB-35: dp. 2189; l. 328'; b. 50'; dr. 11'2"; s. 10 k.; cpl. 151; a. 8 40 mm.; cl. Benewah)

Benewah (APL-35) was reclassified APB-35 11 August 1844; launched by Boston Navy Yard 6 May 1945; sponsored by Miss Priscilla Underwood; and commissioned 19 March 1946, Lieutenant Commander J. M. Kilcullen in command.

Benewah reported to the 16th Fleet at Boston 3 April 1946 for duty as a berthing ship for the men engaged in inactivating and decommissioning aircraft carriers. She remained on this duty until 30 August 1946 when she was placed out of commission in reserve.

In February 1947 she was towed to Green Cove Springs, Fla.; placed in service in reserve; and used as headquarters ship for Sub-Group 3, Florida Group, Atlantic Reserve Fleet.

Recommissioned 9 November 1951, she provided logistic support for Mobile Construction Battalions at overseas bases (9 March-19 December 1952). Departing Newport R. I., 22 August 1953 she arrived at Naples, Italy 10 September and became flagship of Comm ander, Fleet Air, Eastern Atlantic and Mediterranean. She returned to Norfolk 11 September 1955 and was placed out of commission in reserve at Green Cove Springs 10 March 1956.


Born on Staten Island, N. Y., 10 April 1832, Andrew Ellicot Kennedy Benham was appointed a Midshipman in 1847. He took part in the Paraguay Expedition (1854-55) and served with both the South Atlantic and West Gulf Blockading Squadrons during the Civil War. He commanded the North Atlantic Station 1892-93, and retired the following year. Rear Admiral Benham died at Lake Mahopac, N. Y., 11 August 1905.


(DD-49: dp. 1036; l. 305'3"; b. 31'2"; dr. 10'6"; s. 29 k.; cpl. 133; a. 4 4", 8 18" TT.; cl. Aylwin)

The first Benham (DD-49) was launched 22 March 1913 by William Cramp and Sons Ship and Engine Building Co., Philadelphia, Pa.; sponsored by Miss Edith Wallace Benham, daughter of Rear Admiral Benham; and commissioned 20 January 1914, Lieutenant Commander C. R. Train in command.

Following a shakedown cruise to the Caribbean, Benham went into reserve 24 July 1914. Recommissioned 21 December 1914, she joined the Torpedo Flotilla, Atlantic Fleet, for training and patrol along the east coast. She rescued the crew of the Dut ch steamship Blommersdijk 8 October 1916, after the steamer had been sunk by a German submarine off New England. Departing Tompkinsville, N. Y., 15 May 1917 Benham patrolled out of Queenstown, Ireland, until shifted to Brest, France, 10 June 1918. Benham patrolled out of Brest until the end of World War I, departing for the United States 21 December 1918.

Rejoining the Atlantic Fleet early in 1919 Benham took part in maneuvers before going into commission in ordinary at Norfolk 28 June 1919. During 1921 she cruised along the Atlantic coast until assigned to Air Squadrons, Atlantic Fleet, as a pla ne guard and tender. Released from that duty in May 1922, she proceeded to Philadelphia where she remained until decommissioned 7 July 1922. She was broken up during 1935 and the material sold 23 April 1935.


(DD-397, dp. 1500; l. 341'4"; b. 35', dr. 17'2"; s. 36.6 k.; cpl. 251; a. 4 5", 16 21" TT.; cl. Benham)

The second Benham (DD-397) was launched 16 April 1938 by Federal Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Kearny N. J., sponsored by Mrs. A. I. Dorr, grandniece of Rear Admiral Benham; and commissioned 2 February 1939, Lieutenant Commander T. F. Darden in command.

Assigned to the Atlantic Fleet Benham patrolled off Newfoundland during most of 1939 and then shifted to the Gulf of Mexico. Ordered to the Pacific, she arrived at Pearl Harbor 14 April 1940. After alternating between Californian and Hawaiian wa ters, the destroyer served as an escort for Enterprise (CV-6) during the delivery of Marine planes to Midway (28 November-8 December 1941), thus missing the attack on Pearl Harbor. Benham served with the Enterprise and Saratoga (CV-3) task forces off Hawaii and with TF 16 during the Doolittle raid on Tokyo (8-25 April 1942). She continued operating with TF 16 through the Battle of Midway (3-6 June), during which she rescued 720 survivors from Yorktown (CV-5) and 188 from Hammann (DD 412); landings on Guadalcanal and Tulagi (7-9 August), and the Battle of the Eastern Solomons (23-25 August). Benham joined TF 64 on 15 October as part of the naval covering force off Guadalcanal. During 14-15 November she took part in the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal. At 0038, 15 November she took a torpedo forward, lost her bow, and had to withdraw from the battle. Benham doggedly stayed afloat, making slow headway towards Guadalcanal during the 15th but, by 1637, furthe r progress was impossible and her valiant crew had to abandon. Gwin (DD-433) picked up the survivors and sank the hulk at 1938 by shellfire.

Benham (DD-397) received five battle stars for her 11 months service in World War II.


(DD-796: dp. 2050; l. 376'5";b. 39'7"; dr. 17'9"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 329; a. 5 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Fletcher)

The third Benham (DD-796) was launched 30 August 1943 by Bethlehem Steel Co., Staten Island, N. Y., sponsored by Mrs. H. Benham, wife of a grandson of Rear Admiral Benham; and commissioned 20 December 1943, Commander E. V. Dennet in command.

Assigned to the Pacific Fleet, Benham arrived at Pearl Harbor 27 March 1944. Upon completion of training exercises near the Hawaiian Islands, she provided important screening services to CVE's during the landings and occupation of Saipan, Tinian , and Guam (14 June-10 August 1944); fleet carriers during the operations in the


southern Palaus (6 September-14 October), Philippine Islands raids (9-24 September); Okinawa raid (10 October); northern Luzon and Formosa raids (13-14 October); Luzon and Visayas raids (15, 17-19, and 21 October 13-14 and 19-25 November and 14-16 Dece mber); Formosa and Luzon raids (3-4, 6-7, 9, 15, and 21 January 1945); China coast raids (12 and 16 January); Nansei Shoto raid (22 January); invasion and occupation of Iwo Jima (15 February-1 March); Honshu and Nansei Shoto raids (15-16 and 25 February a nd 1 March); 3rd and 5th Fleet raids in support of the Okinawa campaign (17 March-11 June), and 3d Fleet raids on the Japanese home islands (22 July-15 August). Following the Japanese surrender Benham remained on occupation duty in Japanese waters until departing for the United States 31 October 1945. She remained on the west coast until going out of commission into reserve at San Diego, Calif., 18 October 1946.

Benham was recommissioned 24 March 1951 and joined the Atlantic Fleet. In addition to normal operations along the east coast and in the Caribbean, the destroyer has made one cruise to northern Europe, two to the Mediterranean, and one to the Far East (1 June-18 December 1954) during which she circled the globe.

Benham received eight battle stars during World War II.


Benicia is a city in California.

(ScSlp: dp. 2400; l. 250'6"; b. 38'; dr. 18'; s. 11.5 k.; cpl. 291; a. 1 11" S. B., 10 9" S. B., 1 60-pdr. R., 2 20-pdr. BLR.; cl. Confiance)

Benicia was launched 18 August 1868 by Portsmouth Navy Yard as Algoma, renamed Benicia 15 May 1869; and commissioned 1 December 1869, Commander S. Nicholson in command.

Between March 1870 and August 1872 Benicia served on the Asiatic Station protecting American interests in the Far East and took part in Rear Admiral John Rodgers' expedition to Korea (16 May-11 June 1871). Following repairs at Mare Island Navy Y ard, Benicia joined the North Pacific Squadron 6 December 1872. She cruised in Mexican, Central American, and Hawaiian waters and arrived at San Francisco 29 November 1874 carrying King Kalakana of Hawaii and his suite. Benicia made a cruise to Alaska (11 May-21 July 1875) and was decommissioned at Mare Island 29 November 1875. Benicia was sold 3 May 1884.


Born in Arlington, Mass., 5 July 1916, Stanley Graves Benner enlisted in the Marine Corps Reserve in 1940 and was commissioned a Second Lieutenant, USMCR, 4 August 1942. Second Lieutenant Benner was killed in action on Guadalcanal 27 October 1942.

The John C. Butler class DE-551 was assigned the name Benner but canceled 10 June 1944 prior to construction.


(DD-807: dp. 2425; l. 390'6"; b. 40'10"; dr. 18'6"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 355; a. 6 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Gearing)

Benner (DD-807) was launched 30 November 1944 by Bath Iron Works Corp., Bath, Maine; sponsored by Mrs. H. C. Benner, mother of Lieutenant Benner; commissioned 13 February 1945, Commander J. Munholland in command; and reported to the Pacific Flee t.

On 26 July 1945 Benner joined the 3rd Fleet off Japan and screened carriers during the last strikes against the Japanese home islands. Following the surrender of Japan, the destroyer remained in the Far East on occupation duty until 3 January 19 46. For the next three years she rotated between the west coast and Far East, making two Far Eastern cruises (30 January-23 September 1947 and 1 October-23 December 1948). She was reclassified DDR-807, 18 March 1949.

Reassigned to the Atlantic Fleet 1 May 1949, Benner shifted her base to Newport, R. I. She operated on normal peacetime duty, including four Mediterranean tours, until departing for the Pacific 9 June 1956. She arrived at Long Beach, Calif., 28 June 1956 and remained on the west coast during the rest of the year.

Benner received one battle star for her service in World War II.


Born in Warrensburg, N. Y., 25 October 1890, Floyd Bennett enlisted in the Navy in 1917. He was warranted a Machinist and served with Rear Admiral R. E. Byrd on the first flight over the North Pole. Aviation Machinist Bennett died at Quebec, Canada, 25 April 1928.

(DD-473: dp. 2050; l. 376'5"; b. 39'7"; dr. 17'9"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 329; a. 5 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Fletcher)

Bennett (DD-473) was launched 16 April 1942 by Boston Navy Yard; sponsored by Mrs. Floyd Bennett, widow of Aviation Machinist Bennett; and commissioned 9 February 1943, Commander E. B. Taylor in command.

Bennett arrived at Pearl Harbor 31 May and spent the next two months patrolling in the Hawaiian Islands. After escorting a convoy to Efate, New Hebrides, she acted as a plane guard and patrolled out of Efate (27 August-28 October). Moving to the Solomon Islands 4 November, she patrolled and escorted convoys until 5 April 1944. Included in her Solomons' service was support of the Cape Torokina, Bougainville (1 November 1943) and Green Island (15 February 1944) landings; and bombardments of Kavien g, New Ireland (18 February 1944) and Rabaul, New Britain (29 February). Bennett then moved north to take part in the invasions of Saipan (14 June-1 July) and Guam (2-16 August). Returning to the South Pacific later in the month she supported the i nvasion of the Palaus (6-25 September) and then returned to San Francisco for repairs, arriving 25 October 1944.

Bennett returned to Pearl Harbor 24 December and remained in Hawaiian waters for the next month. Then she steamed west to take part in the Iwo Jima landings (19 February-5 March 1945), where she was slightly damaged by a dud bomb (1 March). On 1 April she was a unit of the forces taking part in the invasion of Okinawa. At 0850, 7 April, firing every gun, she was hit by a Japanese suicide plane, killing three men, wounding 18, damaging the forward engine room, and knocking out all electrical powe r. Bennett was able to make Kerama Retto under her own power and on the following day departed for Saipan under tow of Yuma (ATF-94). After emergency repairs, she steamed to Puget Sound Navy Yard where she underwent further repairs (May-Augu st 1945). In August she reported to Adak, Aleutian Islands and made one run to Petropavlovsk, Kamchatka, with weather personnel (28 August-26 September). Returning to San Diego, Calif., she was placed in commission in reserve 21 December 1945 and out of c ommission in reserve 18 April 1946.

Bennett received nine battle stars for her service in World War II.


Bennington is a city in Vermont and a battle of the American Revolution (16 August 1777).


(PG-4: dp. 1700; l. 244'6"; b. 36'; dr. 14'; s. 17.5 k.; cpl. 197; a. 6 6"; cl. Yorktown)

The first Bennington (Gunboat No. 4) was launched 3 June 1890 by Dela. River Iron Works, Chester, Pa.; spon-


sored by Miss Anne Aston; and commissioned 20 June 1891, Commander R. B. Bradford in command.

Bennington joined the Squadron of Evolution and left New York 19 November 1891 on the Squadron's cruise to Brazil. Transferred to the South Atlantic Squadron 5 May 1892, she cruised in South American waters until 19 July. She then visited Spain and Italy to participate in the celebrations marking the quadricentennial of the discovery of America. Bennington returned to Hampton Roads, Va., 26 March 1893 with the replicas of Columbus' vessels in tow. Departing New York 6 August 1893, the gun boat cruised in the Mediterranean until leaving Gibraltar 18 July 1894 for the Pacific Station. She arrived at Valparaiso, Chile, 3 April and Mare Island Navy Yard 30 April.

She cruised along the Pacific coasts of North and Central America and in the Hawaiian Islands until leaving Mare Island 15 September 1898. She steamed, via Honolulu, T. H., and Guam, to Manila, arriving 22 February 1899, and enroute took possession of Wake Island 17 January. Bennington cruised in the Philippines assisting the Army in putting down the insurrection until 3 January 1901. She returned to Mare Island 19 August and went out of commission 5 September 1901.

Recommissioned 2 March 1903 she cruised along the Pacific coasts of North and South America for the next two years. On the morning of 21 July 1905, while preparing to get underway in San Diego Bay, two boilers burst showering the vessel with live steam and scalding water. Sixty men were killed and 40 burned. On 17 August Bennington arrived at Mare Island and was decommissioned 31 October. She was sold 14 November 1910.


(CV-20: dp. 27,100; l. 872'; b. 147'6"; dr. 28'7"; s. 32.7 k.; cpl. 3448; a. 12 5"; cl. Essex)

The second Bennington (CV-20) was launched 28 February 1944 by New York Navy Yard, sponsored by Mrs. Melvin J. Maas, wife of Congressman Maas of Minnesota; and commissioned 6 August 1944, Captain J. B. Sykes in command.

On 15 December Bennington got underway from New York and transited the Panama Canal on the 21st. The carrier arrived at Pearl Harbor 8 January 1945 and then proceeded to Ulithi Atoll, Caroline Islands, where she joined TG 58.1, 8 February. Opera ting out of Ulithi she took part in the strikes against the Japanese home islands (16-17 and 25 February), Volcano Islands (18 February-4 March), Okinawa (1 March), and the raids in support of the Okinawa campaign (18 March-11 June). On 7 April Benning ton's planes participated in the attacks on the Japanese task force moving through the East China Sea toward Okinawa which resulted in the sinking of the Japanese battleship Yamato, light cruiser Yahagi, and four destroyers . On 5 June the carrier was damaged by a typhoon off Okinawa and retired to Leyte for repairs, arriving 12 June. Her repairs completed, Bennington left Leyte 1 July and during 10 July-15 August took part in the anal raids on the Japanese home islan ds.

She continued operations in the western Pacific, supporting the occupation of Japan until 21 October. On 2 September her planes participated in the mass flight over Missouri (BB-63) and Tokyo during the surrender ceremonies. Bennington ar rived at San Francisco 7 November 1945 and early in March 1946 transited the Panama Canal enroute to Norfolk. Following pre-inactivation overhaul, she went out of commission in reserve at Norfolk 8 November 1946.

The carrier began modernization at New York Naval Shipyard 30 October 1950 and was recommissioned 13 November 1952. Her shakedown lasted until May 1953, when she returned to Norfolk for final fleet preparations. Between 14 May 1953 and 27 May 1954 she operated along the eastern seaboard; made a midshipman cruise to Halifax, Nova Scotia; and a cruise in the Mediterranean. At 0811, 28 May 1954, while cruising off Narragansett Bay, the fluid in one of her catapults exploded, setting off a series of second ary explosions which killed 103 crewmen and injured 201 others. Bennington proceeded under her own power to Quonset Point, R. I., to land her injured.

Moving to New York Naval Shipyard for repairs she was completely rebuilt during 12 June 1954-19 March 1955. On 22 April 1955 the Secretary of the Navy came aboard and presented medals and letters of commendation to 178 of her crew in recognition of the ir heroism on 26 May 1954. Bennington returned to operations with the Atlantic Fleet until departing Mayport, Fla., 8 September 1955 for the Pacific. She steamed by way of Cape Horn and arrived at San Diego one month later. The carrier has since se rved with the Pacific Fleet making two Far Eastern cruises.



Born in Vernon, Utah, 5 May 1887, Mervyn Sharp Bennion graduated from the Academy in 1910. An ordnance specialist, Captain Bennion was killed in action at Pearl Harbor, 7 December 1941, while in command of West Virginia (BB-48). Captain Bennion was posthumously awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor.

(DD-662: dp. 2050; l. 376'5"; b. 39'7"; dr. 17'9"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 329; a. 5 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Fletcher)

Bennion (DD-662) was launched 4 July 1943 by Boston Navy Yard, sponsored by Mrs. M. S. Bennion, Captain Bennion's widow; and commissioned 14 December 1943, Commander J. W. Cooper in command.

Bennion departed Philadelphia 3 March 1944 escorting Bataan (CVL-29) to the Pacific. Arriving at Pearl Harbor 22 March, she trained and patrolled in Hawaiian waters until 29 May 1944. Moving westward she served as a fighter director and radar picket ship during the Saipan seizure (15 June-24 July 1944); Tinian occupation (24 July-2 August), Palaus occupation (2-29 September); Leyte invasion (18 October-18 November) during which she was slightly damaged by a shore battery; Mindoro landing s (13-17 December); Lingayen Gulf landings (7-20 January 1945), Iwo Jima invasion (18 February-12 March), Okinawa seizure (26 March-8 June) during which the near miss of a suicide plane caused slight damage; and the 3rd Fleet raids against Japan (18-29 Ju ly). She returned to Puget Sound Navy Yard 27 October 1945 and went out of commission in reserve at Long Beach, Calif., 20 June 1946.

Bennion received the Presidential Unit Citation for her actions off Okinawa (1 April-1 June 1945) and eight battle stars.


Born in Macon, Gal, 25 September 1855, William Shepherd Benson graduated from the Academy in 1877. Following command of Albany (CL-22), Missouri (BB-11), Utah (BB-31), and Philadelphia Navy Yard he was appointed first Chief of Nava l Operations in 1915. Admiral Benson served as CNO until his retirement 25 September 1919. He died in Washington, D. C., 20 May 1932.

(DD-421: dp. 1620; l. 348'2"; b. 36'1"; dr. 17'6"; s. 36.5 k.; cpl. 276; a. 5 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Benson)

Benson (DD-421) was launched 15 November 1939 by Bethlehem Steel Co.. Quincy, Mass, sponsored by Mrs. W. S. Benson, widow of Admiral Benson; and commissioned 25 July 1940, Lieutenant Commander C. A. Fines in command.

Assigned to the Atlantic Fleet, Benson patrolled along the east coast until 1 July 1941 when she commenced escorting convoys to Iceland. By the end of the year she had escorted six convoys between Newfoundland and Iceland. She remained on the Ic eland escort run until 29 March 1942 when she switched to escorting trans-Atlantic convoys to Britain and North Africa. On 19 October 1942, during one of these crossings, Benson was


extensively damaged in a collision with Trippe (DD-403). Following repairs at New York she returned to convoy duty until May 1943 when she went to the Mediterranean.

She took part in the invasion of Sicily (6 July-21 August 1943), during which she had 18 men wounded by the near miss of a bomb (11 July), and the Salerno landings (5-21 September 1943). After escorting Mediterranean convoys during October-December 194 3 she returned to New York for repairs and training which lasted until 20 April. She returned to the Mediterranean for convoy duty (May-July 1944) and participated in the invasion of southern France (13 August-17 September 1944). From 30 September 1944 to 18 January 1945 she furnished fire support along the French and Italian coasts and then returned to the United States for overhaul. After one convoy run to Britain (April 1945), Benson transferred to the Pacific. She arrived at Pearl Harbor 28 May and during 13-20 June screened the air strikes against Wake Island. From July to October 1945 she escorted convoys between Ulithi and Okinawa, and between the Philippines and Japan. Benson reported to Charleston Navy Yard 7 December 1945 to commen ce inactivation and went out of commission in reserve there 18 March 1946. She remained in reserve until transferred to Nationalist China 26 February 1934.

Benson received four battle stars for her service in the Mediterranean.


Thomas Hart Benton (1782 1858) was a Tennessee and Missouri politician. One of the foremost proponents of Manifest Destiny, he represented Missouri in the United States Senate 1821-51.

(PG: T. 1033; l. 202'; b. 72'; dr. 9'; s. 5.5 k.; cpl. 176; a. 2 9" S. B., 7 32-pdr. S. B., 7 42-pdr. R.)

Benton, a former center-wheel catamaran snag boat, was converted to an ironclad river gunboat by James B. Eads, St. Louis, Mo., in 1861 and commissioned 24 February 1862, Lieutenant J. Bishop in command.

Benton served as flagship of the Mississippi Squadron (1862-63). She took part in the capture of Island Number 10 (15 March-7 April 1862); attack on Fort Pillow, Tenn. (10 May); Battle of Memphis, Tenn. (6 June); bombardment of Vicksburg, Miss., and escape of CSS Arkansas (15-16 June); Yazoo River Expeditions (16-23 August and 23-28 December), during the second of which her commanding officer, Lieutenant Commander W. Gwin was mortally wounded, one man killed, and 10 wounded; running of th e Vicksburg batteries (16 April 1863); bombardment of the Grand Gulf, Miss., batteries (29 April); capture of Fort DeRussy, Ark. (9 May); attacks on the Vicksburg batteries (18-22 and 27 May, 3 and 20 June); Red River Expedition (12 March-16 May 1864), an d capture of CSS Missouri at Alexandria, La. (3 June 1865). Decommissioned 20 July 1865 at Mound City, Ill., Benton was sold 29 November 1865.

Benton County (LST-263) see LST-263

Benzie County (LST-266) see LST-266


Berberry is an archaic spelling of barberry, a shrub.

(ScStr: T. 160; l. 99'6"; b. 20'6"; dr. 8'6", s. 5 k.; cpl. 31; a. 2 24-pdr. S. B., 2 12-pdr. S. B.)

Berberry was built in 1864 at Philadelphia, Pa., as Columbia; purchased there 13 August 1864; and commissioned 12 September 1864, Acting Ensign M. Griffith in command.

Berberry reported to the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron and served as a blockader off North Carolina (October 1864-May 1865). Returning to New York, she was sold there 12 July 1865.

Berceau (YFB-3) see Talbot (TB-15)


Bergall is a small fish of the New England coast.

(SS-320: dp. 1626; l. 311'9"; b. 27'3"; dr. 16'10"; s. 20.3 k.; cpl. 66; a. 1 5"; 10 21" TT.; cl. Balao)

Bergall (SS-320) was launched 16 February 1944 by Electric Boat Co., Groton, Conn.; sponsored by Mrs. J. A. Elkins; and commissioned 12 June 1944, Lieutenant Commander J. M. Hyde in command.

Assigned to the Pacific Fleet, Bergall arrived at Pearl Harbor 13 August 1944. Operating out of Fremantle Australia, the submarine made five war patrols between 8 September 1944 and 17 June 1945 in the South China Sea, Java Sea, Lombek Strait, a nd north of the Malay Barrier. During these patrols Bergall sank two merchantmen totaling 14,710 tons and one 740-ton frigate. While patrolling off the Malay coast, 13 June 1945, she was damaged aft by a mine explosion and forced to retire to Subic Bay, Luzon, for emergency repairs, arriving 17 June. Proceeding home for permanent repairs, she arrived at Portsmouth Navy Yard 4 August 1945.

Following repairs Bergall rejoined the Pacific Fleet in December 1945 She remained on active duty with the Pacific Fleet until departing Pearl Harbor for the Atlantic 10 June 1950. During this time she made one cruise to the Far East (4 December 1948-28 February 1949). Arriving at New London, Conn., 11 July 1950, she has since operated with the Atlantic Fleet making one Mediterranean cruise.

Bergall received four battle stars during World War II.


Bergen is a county in New Jersey.

(APA-150: dp. 6873; l. 455'; b. 62'; dr. 24'; s. 17.5 k.; cpl. 536; a. 1 5"; cl. Haskell)

Bergen was launched 5 December 1944 under a Maritime Commission contract by Kaiser Co., Inc., Vancouver Wash.; sponsored by Mrs. Donald Campbell, transferred to the Navy 23 December 1944; and commissioned the same day, Captain R. B. Vanzant in c ommand.

Bergen joined the Pacific Fleet and shuttled troops and cargo from the west coast to Pearl Harbor and Saipan (2 March-4 July 1945). Departing Pearl Harbor 11 July, she landed her passengers at Okinawa 12 August and sailed 5 September for Inchon, Korea, with occupation troops. Leaving Okinawa again 26 September she carried troops to China and then returned to San Francisco, arriving 20 November. She made another trip to the Philippines (7 December 1945-24 January 1946) to bring home returning servicemen. Decommissioned 24 April 1946, Bergen was returned to the Maritime Commission 2 days later.

Back to the DANFS Online Main Page

Questions, Comments and Feedback

These histories are taken from Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships (US Naval Historical Center, 1959-1991). The histories may not reflect the most recent information concerning the ships' status and operations.

This section of the HG&UW site coordinated and maintained by Andrew Toppan.
Copyright © 1996-2003, Andrew Toppan. All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction, reuse, or distribution without permission is prohibited.