Barrow is a county in Georgia.
(APA-61: dp. 4247; l. 426'; b. 58'; dr. 16'; s. 16.9 k.; cpl. 320; a. 1 5"; cl. Gilliam)
Barrow (APA-61) was launched 11 May 1944 by Consolidated Steel Co., Wilmington, Calif., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Miss Ruth N.
LaFrance; acquired by the Navy 27 September 1944; and commissioned the following day, Lieutenant Commander H. Jorgensen, USNR, in command.
Barrow departed San Pedro, Calif., 23 October 1944 for Pearl Harbor where she engaged in amphibious training exercises until December. She then carried men and equipment to Tinian and Guam, Marianas Islands, and returned to Pearl Harbor. On 27 J anuary Barrow got underway from Pearl Harbor and, after training exercises in the Marshall and Marianas Islands, arrived off Iwo Jima 19 February. The ship participated in the assault on Iwo Jima, departing the area 1 March for Saipan.
On 27 March Barrow departed Saipan for Okinawa. Arriving in the combat area 1 April, she took part in diversionary feints off southeastern Okinawa and the next day began unloading her cargo. By the 9th the unloading of cargo had been completed a nd all troops disembarked and Barrow headed for Saipan.
Barrow got underway 4 June from Saipan for the Solomon and New Hebrides Islands. At the latter, she loaded cargo for Tinian and Guam. On 15 July 1945 Barrow departed Guam and arrived at San Francisco Bay 30 July.
Following repairs Barrow sailed 29 August 1945 to Samar (17 September) and Manila (22 September). She returned to the United States 17 October 1945. During the voyage she assisted the disabled merchantman Ben F. Dixon, embarking he r passengers and taking her in tow until relieved by ATR-73.
Between 2 December 1945 and 4 January 1946 Barrow steamed to Manila with naval personnel and then embarked passengers for Pearl Harbor, arriving 5 February. Until May 1946 she transferred those personnel to various commands and stations. Barr ow was then assigned to Transport Division 92, JTF 1, as a target vessel for Operation Crossroads and arrived at Bikini Atoll 30 May Cameras and various pieces of equipment were placed on board for the atomic tests. Following the tests Barrow w as decommissioned 28 August 1946 at Bikini Atoll and scuttled 11 May 1948.
Barrow received two battle stars for her World War II service.
Born in County Wexford, Ireland, in 1745, John Barry was appointed a Captain in the Continental Navy 7 December 1775. He commanded Lexington and Alliance. He was seriously wounded 29 May 1781 while in command of Alliance dur ing her capture of HMS Atalanta and Trepassy. Appointed senior captain upon the establishment of the U. S. Navy, he commanded the frigate United States in the Quasi-War with France. Commodore Barry died at Strawberry Hill, near Philad elphia, 13 September 1803 and was buried in St. Mary's Cemetery, Philadelphia.
(DD-2: dp. 420; l. 250': b. 23'7"; dr. 6'6": s. 28 k.; cpl. 75; a. 2 3", 2 18" TT.; cl. Bainbridge)
The first Barry (Destroyer No. 2) was launched 22 March 1902 by Neafie and Levy Ship and Engine Building Co., Philadelphia, Pa.; sponsored by Miss Charlotte Adams Barnes, great-grandniece of Commodore Barry; and commissioned 24 November 1902, Lieutenan t N. E. Erwin in command.
Barry was assigned to the 1st Torpedo Flotilla, Coast Squadron, North Atlantic Fleet, and during the summer of 1903 participated in maneuvers off the New England coast. In December 1903 she departed the east coast and sailed via the Suez Canal t o the Asiatic Station, arriving in April 1904.
On the Asiatic Station she served with the 1st Torpedo Flotilla, Battleship Squadron, until August 1917, except for two short periods (2 April-21 December 1908 and 21 October 1912-24 June 1913) out of commission.
Barry departed the Philippine Islands, 1 August 1917 and sailed via the Suez Canal for Gibraltar, arriving 20 October. She escorted merchantmen in the Mediterranean until August 1918 and arrived at Charleston, S. C., 5 September 1918. She remain ed there until the end of the year performing patrol and convoy duties. In January 1919 she left for Philadelphia Navy Yard where she went out of commission 28 June 1919 and was sold 3 January 1920.
(DD-248: dp. 1215; l. 314'4"; b. 31'8"; dr. 9'10"; s. 36 k.; cpl. 122; a. 4 4", 1 3", 12 21" TT.; cl. Clemson)
The second Barry (DD-248) was launched 28 October 1920 by New York Shipbuilding Co., Camden, N. J.; sponsored by Mrs. Shelton E. Martin, great-grandniece of Commodore Barry, and commissioned with 50-percent complement 28 December 1920, Lieutenant (juni or grade) A. H. Bamberger, USNR, in command.
Barry was held in reserve commission until 15 November 1921 when she was placed in full commission and reported to the Atlantic Fleet. In October 1922 she departed Hampton Roads, Va., for the Mediterranean where she served with the U. S. Naval D etachment in Turkish Waters until July 1923. Returning to the east coast 10 August 1923 she joined Destroyer Squadron 14, Scouting Fleet.
Early in 1925 Barry transited the Panama Canal and joined the Battle Fleet for maneuvers in the Pacific. She returned to the east coast in July 1925 and took up routine duties with the Scouting Fleet until February 1932, when she returned to the Pacific for fleet maneuvers. Upon completion of maneuvers she returned to the Atlantic and was assigned to Rotating Reserve Destroyer Squadron 19 at Norfolk 20 December 1932.
Barry was recommissioned at Norfolk 20 June 1933 and on 1 July sailed for San Diego to join Destroyer Division 7 Scouting Force. She served with the Scouting Force until May 1936 when she returned to the Atlantic and for a short time served as f lagship of Destroyer Division 8. Later in 1936 she again returned to the Pacific, joining Destroyer Division 22, Battle Force. Between January and April 1938 she was in Hawaiian waters and on 21 May 1938 was transferred to Destroyer Division 21, in the At lantic.
Barry joined Destroyer Division 67 in the Canal Zone 18 October 1940. Still on duty there when the United States entered World War II, she was assigned escort and anti-submarine warfare missions against the German submarine menace in the Atlanti c. Early in 1942 Barry operated in the Caribbean escorting convoys between Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and Panama; and Curacao and Trinidad. Later in the year and throughout the first half of 1943 she performed escort duties in the South Atlantic, operating fro m Trinidad.
Between July and November 1943 she served as a unit of TG 21.14, a hunter-killer group which operated along the North Atlantic convoy lanes. The group conducted two sweeps (30 July-10 September and 28 September-8 November) during which aircraft from Card (CVE-11) sank eight German submarines. Barry and Goff (DD-247) rescued survivors of Borie (DD-215) after she was mortally damaged 1 November while sinking the German submarine U-405 by ramming.
Barry underwent conversion to a high-speed transport at Charleston Navy Yard, 31 December 1943-17 February 1944 (reclassified APD-29, 15 January 1944). Barry departed the east coast 13 April 1944 for Mers-el-Kebir, Algeria, arriving 30 April. Pr actice amphibious landings were carried out until 14 August when she sortied for the invasion of southern France.
Between 16 and 20 August 1944 she landed her troops on the Islands of Levant and Port Cros, as well as on the mainland of France. Between August and December Barry served on escort duty in the western Mediterranean and then returned to the Unite d States, arriving at Norfolk 23 December 1944. After brief repairs, Barry departed for the Pacific and arrived at Pearl Harbor 24 March 1945. After training in the Hawaiian Islands,
she arrived off Okinawa 16 May and performed patrol and escort duties during the occupation of the island.
On 25 May she was attacked by two kamikazes while on patrol 35 miles northwest of Okinawa. One was shot down, but the other broke through the barrage and struck Barry below her bridge. Twenty-eight of her valiant crew were wounded by shrapnel. T he explosion of the plane's gasoline tanks and bomb ignited fuel oil escaping from Barry's ruptured tanks. The fire threatened the forward magazine which could not be reached to flood. At 1340, 40 minutes after the plane struck, the commanding offi cer gave the order to abandon ship. Barry's boats were lowered and all hands safely cleared the side.
At 1500 the water had risen until the forward magazine was covered, minimizing the danger of explosion; A skeleton crew, together with parties from Sims (APD-50) and Roper (APD-20), then reboarded Barry and the last fires were exti nguished at 0630 the next day.
Barry was towed to the anchorage at Kerama Retto 26 May and found too extensively damaged to warrant repair or salvage. Stripped of useful gear, she was decommissioned 21 June 1945. Later in the day she was towed from the harbor of Kerama Retto to be used as a decoy for the kamikazes. While under tow she was attacked by Japanese suicide planes and sunk along with her escort, LSM-59.
Barry received the Presidential Unit Citation as a unit of TG 21.14 and four battle stars for her actions in the Atlantic and Pacific during World War II.
(DD-933: dp. 2780; l. 418'6"; b. 45'; dr. 19'6"; cpl. 337; cl. Forrest Sherman)
The third Barry (DD-933) was launched 1 October 1955 by Bath Iron Works Corp., Bath, Maine; sponsored by Mrs. Francis Rogers, great-grandniece of Commodore Barry; and commissioned 9 July 1956, Commander I. C. Kidd, Jr., in command.
Born in Philadelphia 7 April 1853, John Kennedy Barton graduated from the Academy in 1873. He served as Engineer-in-Chief and Chief of the Bureau of Steam Engineering with the rank of Rear Admiral. He retired 23 December 1908. Rear Admiral Barton died in Philadelphia 23 December 1921.
(DD 599: dp. 1620; l. 347'9"; b. 36'1"; dr. 17'4"; s. 36 k.; cpl. 276; a. 5 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Benson)
The first Barton (DD-599) was launched 31 January 1942 by Bethlehem Steel Co., Quincy, Mass.; sponsored by Miss Barbara Dean Barton, granddaughter of Admiral Barton; and commissioned 29 May 1942, Lieutenant Commander D. H. Fox in command.
Barton departed the east coast 23 August 1942 and steamed to the Pacific, arriving at Tongatabu, Tonga Islands, 14 September 1942. During October she participated in the Buin-Faisi-Tonolai raid (5 October) and the Battle of Santa Cruz (26 Octobe r). On 29 October she successfully rescued 17 survivors of two downed air transports near Fabre Island.
Against great odds on 13 November Barton, in company with Rear Admiral D. J. Callaghan's landing support group, took part in the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal. Barton commenced firing on the Japanese ships at approximately 0148. After launc hing four torpedoes she had to come to an emergency stop to avoid a collision. While she was practically dead in the water, two enemy torpedoes found their mark. The first torpedo struck her forward fireroom and, a few seconds later, a second torpedo stru ck her forward engine-room. Within seconds, Barton broke in two and sank, carrying with her an estimated 90 percent of her valiant crew. Forty-two survivors were rescued by Portland (CA-33) and Higgins boats from Guadalcanal.
Barton received four battle stars for her service during October and November 1942.
(DD-722: dp. 2200; l. 376'6"; b. 40'10"; dr. 19'; s. 34.6 k.; cpl. 345, a. 6 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Allen M. Sumner)
The second Barton (DD-722) was launched 10 October. 1943 by Bath Iron Works Corp., Bath, Maine; sponsored by Miss Barbara Dean Barton, granddaughter of Admiral Barton; and commissioned 30 December 1943, Commander J. W. Callahan in command.
On 14 May 1944 Barton departed Norfolk and arrived at Plymouth, England, on the 27th. Between 3 and 25 June she carried out screening, patrol, and bombardment duties in support Of the invasion of Normandy. On 4 June she rescued 31 American soldiers fro m the sinking LCT-2498. During a brisk engagement with German batteries at Cherbourg, 25 June, Barton was slightly damaged while delivering effective gunfire support.
Returning to the United States 10 July 1944, Barton soon departed Norfolk for the Pacific, arriving at Pearl Harbor 2 October. She then steamed westward to take part in the capture of Leyte, including the Ormoc landings (9 November-8 December 19 44), Mindoro landings (12-18 December); Lingayen Gulf landings (4-21 January 1945); Iwo Jima invasion, including the 5th Fleet's supporting raids on Honshu and the Nansei Shoto (10-19 February, 25 February-1 March); Okinawa invasion (21 March-30 June); an d the 3rd Fleet raids on Japan (10-24 July).
After a brief tour with the occupation forces in Japan Barton returned to Seattle 6 October 1945. She operated along the west coast until June 1946 when she departed Oakland for Bikini Atoll where she participated in Operation Crossroads (15 Jun e-10 August). Returning to the United States she continued operations off the west coast until 22 January 1947 when she went out of commission in reserve at San Diego.
On 11 April 1949 Barton was recommissioned and joined Destroyer Division 201. She operated with the Pacific Fleet until 11 July when she got underway for Norfolk arriving 5 August 1949. During the next three years she operated along the eastern seaboard, made two cruises to the Caribbean; and one cruise with the 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean.
On 15 May 1952 Barton departed Norfolk via the Panama Canal for Korea, arriving at Yokosuka, Japan 18 June. She joined TF 77 as a member of a hunter-killer group for operations along the east coast of Korea. On 10 August 1952 while silencing ene my batteries on the island of Hodo Pando, Barton was hit on her number one stack by a 105 mm. shell from an enemy shore battery. Two men were wounded. After a short repair period at Yokosuka (25-31 August) she returned to Korean waters.
While operating with TF 77 she was struck by a floating mine 16 September 1952 and had five men missing and seven wounded. Effective damage control by her crew enabled her to reach Sasebo for temporary repairs (29 September-19 October) and then Norfolk , via the Suez Canal, for permanent repairs. She arrived at Norfolk 12 December. Repairs completed 15 August 1953 Barton spent the remainder of the year operating along the east coast and in the Caribbean.
On 4 January 1954 Barton returned to the Far East and operated as a unit of TF 77 patrolling the operating area from Okinawa to Formosa. Barton returned to Norfolk, via Capetown, South Africa, 10 August 1954. Since that time she has opera ted out of Norfolk on training exercises and fleet maneuvers. She has also made one cruise with the 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean.
Barton received the Navy Unit Commendation for services rendered during the Okinawa operation and six battle stars for her World War II service as well as one battle star for Korea.
Bashaw is a catfish.
(SS-241: dp. 1526; l. 311'9"; b. 27'3"; dr. 17'; s. 20.3 k. cpl. 60; a. 1 4", 10 21" TT.; cl. Gato)
Bashaw (SS-241) was launched 25 July 1943 by Electric Boat Co., Groton, Conn., sponsored by Mrs. Norman S. Ives, wife of Captain Ives, and commissioned 25 October 1943, Lieutenant Commander R. E. Nichols in command.
Bashaw arrived at Milne Bay, New Guinea, 3 March 1944. During 10 March 1944-29 April 1945 she completed six war patrols in the Celebes, Philippine, and South China Seas. Bashaw sank three Japanese merchant vessels totaling 19,269 tons as well as several small craft.
Bashaw returned to Subic Bay, Philippine Islands, 29 April 1945 and then sailed to Mare Island Navy Yard for an overhaul. Upon completion of the yard Period 13 August 1945, she departed for Pearl Harbor. The war ended while she was enroute and s he was ordered to return to Mare Island. On 5 September she arrived at Mare Island and began her pre-inactivation overhaul, going into commission in reserve there 24 November 1945. On 20 June 1949 her status was changed to out of commission in reserve. P>
Bashaw was recommissioned 3 April 1951 and operated out of San Diego along the west coast until 10 May 1952 when she went out of commission in reserve. Between May 1952 and March 1953 she underwent conversion at Hunters Point Naval Shipyard to a n anti-submarine submarine and was reclassified SSK-241, 18 February 1953. Bashaw was recommissioned 28 March 1953 and reported to Submarine Division 33 at San Diego. Between March and August 1954 Bashaw made a Far Eastern cruise. During the following year she took part in several type exercises, including one major exercise in the Hawaiian area, before being overhauled at San Francisco. Between January and August 1956 Bashaw conducted her second postwar tour of the Far East. On 14 Au gust 1956 she arrived at the Submarine Base, Pearl Harbor, and since that time has operated from there.
Bashaw received five battle stars for her World War II service.
Basilan is an island in the Philippines.
(AG-68: dp. 5371; l. 441'6"; b. 56'11"; dr. 23'; s. 12.5 k.: cpl. 181; a. 1 5"; cl. Basilan)
Basilan (ARG-12) was reclassified AG-68, 14 March 1944; launched 21 March 1944 by Delta Shipbuilding Corp., New Orleans, La., under a Maritime Commission contract as Jacques Phillipe Villere; sponsored by Mrs. Percy H. Brown ; transferred to the Navy 21 April 1944; placed in reduced commission the same day; placed out of commission 24 April for conversion to a miscellaneous auxiliary by Waterman Steamship Co., Mobile, Ala.; and recommissioned 10 October 1944, Lieutenant Comma nder L. A. Parks, USNR, in command.
Basilan departed for the Pacific 8 December 1944 and, after stops at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and in the Canal Zone, arrived at San Francisco 10 February 1945. During April and May she served at Ulithi, Caroline Islands, as a supply and repair ship . On 20 May she departed for Leyte where she continued her supply and repair duties until September 1945. In September she left the Philippines and proceeded to Shanghai, China, via Okinawa and Korea. She remained on occupation duty until 9 December 1945 when she departed for Seattle, Wash. Following pre-inactivation overhaul, she was decommissioned 22 April 1946, and returned to the Maritime Commission 14 May 1947.
Born in Buffalo, N. Y., 4 November 1916, John Basilone enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1940. He served at various posts in the United States before being transferred to the field. He was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for extraordinary herois m on Guadalcanal, 24-25 October 1942. Gunnery Sergeant Basilone was killed in action on Iwo Jima, 19 February 1945 and was awarded a posthumous Navy Cross.
(DDE-824: dp. 2425; l. 390'9"; b. 40'10"; dr. 18'6"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 355; a. 4 5", 4 3", 4 21" TT.; cl. Gearing)
Basilone (DD-824) was launched 21 December 1945 by Consolidated Steel Corp., Ltd., Orange, Tex., sponsored by Sergeant Lena Mae Basilone, USMCWR, widow of Sergeant Basilone. The vessel was deactivated for a period of time and was then moved from Orange, Tex., to the Quincy Yard of Bethlehem Steel Co., Quincy, Mass., for conversion to an escort destroyer (reclassified DDE-824, 28 January 1948). Conversion completed, Basilone (DDE-824) was commissioned 26 July 1949, Commander M. E. Dennett in command.
Assigned to Destroyer Force, Atlantic, Basilone has operated out of Norfolk on local operations and competitive exercises, with the Operational Development Force, Surface Anti-Submarine Development Detachment, and as a school ship for the Fleet Sonar School at Key West, Fla.; and in the Caribbean on anti-submarine and hunter-killer exercises. At frequent intervals between March 1952 and September 1954 she conducted four tours of duty with the 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean. Between 6 June and 4 August 1955 she served as a unit of midshipman cruise Able which visited Spain, England, and Cuba. In 1956, between October and December, Basilone made a cruise of Northern Europe and the Mediterranean, after which she returned to Norfolk.
Bass is an edible, spiny-finned fish.
(SF-5: dp. 2000; l. 341'6"; b. 27'7"; dr. 15'11"; s. 18.7 k.; cpl. 56; a. 1 3", 6 21" TT.; cl. B)
The first Bass (SF-5) was launched as V-2, 27 December 1924 by Portsmouth Navy Yard; sponsored by Mrs. Douglas E. Dismukes, wife of Captain Dismukes; and commissioned 26 September 1925, Lieutenant Commander G. A. Rood in command.
V-2 was assigned to Submarine Division 20 and cruised along the Atlantic coast and in the Caribbean through November 1927 when the Division sailed for San Diego, arriving 3 December 1927. V-2 operated with the fleet on the west coast, in the Hawaiian Islands, and in the Caribbean until December 1932. V-2 was renamed Bass 9 March 1931 and in April was assigned to Division 12. On 1 July 1931 her designation was changed from SF-5 to SS-164. On 2 January 1933 she was assigned to Rotating Reserve Submarine Division 15, San Diego. Bass rejoined the fleet again in July 1933 and cruised along the west coast, in the Canal Zone, and in the Hawaiian Islands until January 1937. She then departed the west coast and arrived at Phil adelphia 18 February 1937 where she went out of commission in reserve 9 June.
Bass was recommissioned at Portsmouth, N. H., 5 September 1940 and assigned to Submarine Division 9, Atlantic Fleet. Between February and November 1941 she operated along the New England coast and made two trips to St. Georges, Bermuda. She arri ved at Coco Solo, C. Z., 24 November and was on duty there when hostilities broke out with Japan.
During 1942 Bass was attached to Submarine Division 31, Squadron 3, Atlantic Fleet. Between March and August, while based at Coco Solo, she made four war
patrols in the Pacific, off Balboa. On 17 August 1942 while at sea, a fire broke out in the after battery room and quickly spread to the after torpedo room and starboard main motor, resulting in the death of 25 enlisted men by asphyxiation. The followi ng day Antaeus (AS-21) arrived to assist the submarine and escorted her into the Gulf of Dulce, Costa Rica. Both vessels then proceeded to Balboa.
Bass remained in the Canal Zone until October 1942 when she departed for Philadelphia, arriving on the 19th. After undergoing repairs at Philadelphia Navy Yard Bass proceeded to New London, Conn., where she conducted secret experiments of f Block Island in December 1943. She was again in Philadelphia Yard for repairs from January to March 1944. During the remainder of the year she was attached to Submarine Squadron 1 Atlantic Fleet, and operated out of New London in the area between Long I sland and Block Island. Bass was decommissioned at the Submarine Base, New London 3 March 1945 and "destroyed" 12 March 1945.
(SSK-2: dp. 765; l. 196'; b. 24'7"; dr. 14'5"; s. 13 k.; cpl. 37; cl. Barracuda)
The second Bass (SSK-2) was launched 2 May 1951 as USS K-2 by Mare Island Naval Shipyard; sponsored by Mrs. John J. Crane, widow of Commander Crane, and commissioned 16 November 1952, Lieutenant Commander D. E. Bunting in command.
SSK-2 arrived at Pearl Harbor 23 May 1952 to join Submarine Division 72. Since she belonged to a new type of submarine, she engaged in evaluation operations to determine her capabilities and limitations. In January 1953 she underwent restricted availability at Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard for the installation of additional equipment. In June 1953 she resumed operations and for the next 13 months engaged in developing tactics and coordinated operations with other fleet units.
In January 1954, SSK-2 returned to Mare Island for overhaul and made a cruise to Mazatlan, Mexico, before returning to Pearl Harbor. She was renamed Bass 15 December 1955. Bass operated out of Pearl Harbor until June 1957. On 26 Ju ne 1957 she returned to the United States and operated along the west coast until going out of commission in reserve 1 October 1957.
Bass, Horace A. (APD-124) see Horace A. Bass (APD-124)
Born in Philadelphia 10 March 1914, Edgar R. Bassett entered the Navy 13 February 1940 and was subsequently commissioned Ensign, Naval Aviator, USNR. Ensign Bassett was killed in action 4 June 1942 during the Battle of Midway.
(APD-73: dp. 1370; l. 306'; b. 37'; dr. 12'7"; s. 23.6 k.; cpl. 204; a. 1 5"; cl. Crosley)
Bassett was launched 15 January 1944 as DE-672 by Consolidated Steel Corp., Ltd., Orange, Tex.; sponsored by Mrs. Margaret Bassett, mother of Ensign Bassett; reclassified APD-73, 27 June 1944; converted to a high-speed transport; and commissione d 23 February 1945, Lieutenant Commander H. J. Theriault, USNR, in command.
Bassett reported to the Pacific Fleet on 1 May 1945. Amphibious training in the Hawaiian Islands was followed by convoy duty to Eniwetok, Guam, Ulithi, Hollandia, and Leyte. Upon reporting to Commander, Philippine Sea Frontier, Bassett tr ansported mail and passengers to various Philippine ports and to Brunei Bay, Borneo.
On 2 August 1945, while on anti-submarine patrol off the coast of Leyte, she received orders to investigate reports of a large group of survivors 200 miles away. Bassett steamed to the scene and rescued 150 survivors of Indianapolis (CA-3 5) which had been sunk 30 July by a Japanese submarine.
With the cessation of hostilities Bassett took part in the Japanese occupation. After landing troops at Wakayama and Nagoya, Japan, she served as harbor entrance control vessel at Nagoya until detached 18 November 1945 and ordered to the United States. Arriving in the United States, she had a short stay at San Diego and then proceeded to Philadelphia, via the Panama Canal. After undergoing yard availability at Philadelphia Navy Yard she reported to the 16th Fleet, Green Cove Springs, Fla. for in activation. Bassett went out of commission in reserve 29 April 1946.
On 7 December 1950 Bassett was recommissioned and reported to the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet. Since that time she has operated along the eastern seaboard and in the Caribbean. Between June and August 1952 she participated in a midshipmen c ruise to the British Isles and France. During October 1955 Bassett was ordered to Tampico, Mexico, where raging floods caused by hurricane "Janet" had engulfed 32,000 square miles of Mexican territory. While at Tampico, Bassett working in co njunction with Saipan (CVL-48), rendered invaluable services to the distressed people by carrying supplies and rescuing those marooned by the swollen Panuco River. Between March and October 1956 she served as a unit of an amphibious task force in t he Mediterranean. During this cruise she took part, as primary control ship, in four amphibious operations.
A bastion is a work projecting outward from the main enclosure of a fort.
(ACM-6: dp. 880; l. 188'2"; b. 37'; dr. 12'6"; s. 12.5 k.; cpl. 69; a. 1 40 mm.; cl. Chimo)
Bastion (ACM-6) was built in 1942 by Marietta Manufacturing Co., Point Pleasant, W. Va., as the Army mine planter Colonel Henry J. Hunt; transferred to the Navy 4 January 1945; and commissioned 9 April 1945, Lieutenan t E. D. Fatkin, USNR, in command.
Bastion departed for the Pacific 17 June and arrived at San Diego 7 July. She reported to Commander, Minecraft, Pacific, at Pearl Harbor in August. During September she performed minesweeping and repair duties throughout the Marianas Islands and between October and December she continued these duties at Okinawa. She left Okinawa 17 December and arrived in Japan 21 December where she remained on occupation duty until 11 March 1946.
Returning to the west coast, Bastion was decommissioned 18 June 1946 at San Francisco and transferred to the Coast Guard the same day.
The bat is a flying mammal.
(SwStr: T. 750; l. 230'; b. 26'; dr. 8'; s. 16 k.; a. 1 30-pdr. R., 2 12-pdr. S. B.)
Bat, a steel side-wheel steamer, was built in 1864 by Jones, Quiggin and Co., Liverpool, England; captured on her maiden voyage as a blockade runner by Montgomery and other vessels of the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron off Wilmington, N. C., 10 October 1864, purchased from Boston Prize Court in November 1864, and commissioned 13 December 1864, Lieutenant Commander J. S. Barnes in command.
Upon commissioning Bat was assigned to the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron and operated along the Atlantic coast and in the Potomac River until placed out of commission at Washington Navy Yard 17 May 1865. She was sold at New York 25 October 1865.
Bataan, Luzon, Philippine Islands, was the scene of heroic resistance by American and Filipino defenders against an overwhelming Japanese invading force during the initial phase of America's participation in World War II.
(CVL-29: dp. 11,000; l. 622'6"; b. 109'2"; dr. 26'; s. 32 k.; cpl. 1569; a. 26 40 mm.; cl. Independence)
Buffalo (CL-99) was reclassified CV-29 and renamed Bataan 2 June 1942, reclassified CVL-29, 15 July 1943 launched 1 August 1943 by New York Shipbuilding Corp. Camden, N. J.; sponsored by Mrs. George D. Murray, wife of Rear Admiral Murray, commissioned 17 November 1943, Captain V. H. Schaeffer in command; and reported to the Pacific Fleet.
In her initial engagement with the Japanese, Bataan's planes supported the attack on Hollandia, New Guinea, between 21 and 24 April 1944. Following this action were strikes against Truk, Satawan, and Ponape (29 April-1 May 1944); Saipan, Marianas (11 June 10 August); 1st Bonins raid (15-16 June); Battle of the Philippine Sea (19-20 June), and the 2nd Bonins raid (24 June).
Bataan then returned to the United States for repairs. Repairs completed she joined TF 58 and participated in the fleet raids in support of the Okinawa operation (17 March-30 May 1945), during which her aircraft assisted in the sinking of the Ja panese submarine I-56, 18 April 1945, in 26°42' N., 130°38' E. Retiring to the Philippines, Bataan joined the 3rd Fleet for operations against the Japanese home islands (10 July-15 August).
Bataan returned to the United States, arriving at New York 17 October 1945, and was assigned to "Magic Carpet" duty. On 10 January 1946 she arrived at Philadelphia to prepare for inactivation. Bataan went out of commission in reserve 11 F ebruary 1947.
Bataan was recommissioned 13 May 1950 at Philadelphia. In July 1950 she stood out for San Diego, upon arrival loaded Air Force cargo and personnel, and departed 16 November for Tokyo Bay. She arrived in Korean waters 15 December and until June 1 951 her aircraft flew strikes in support of the ground forces.
Bataan departed for the west coast 2 June 1951 and after a brief stop at San Diego steamed to Bremerton, Wash., 9 July for overhaul. She returned to San Diego 20 November and on 27 January 1952 departed for Yokosuka, Japan, and thence to Buckner Bay, Okinawa. She conducted air exercises and other training maneuvers off Okinawa until 29 April when she sailed for Korean waters. Bataan continued operating between Japan and Korea throughout the summer of 1952 carrying personnel and supplies t o the fighting area and launching strikes against the enemy. She left the fighting zone 11 August for San Diego. On 27 October the carrier once again stood out for the Far East and operated off Korea until 10 May 1953 when she departed for San Diego.
She remained in the San Diego area undergoing overhaul and training until 31 July. Then she sailed via Pearl Harbor to Kobe and Yokosuka, Japan, and then back to the United States where she reported for inactivation 26 August 1953. She went out of comm ission in reserve 9 April 1954 at San Francisco.
Bataan received six battle stars for her World War II service and seven for her Korean service.
Born in Philadelphia 19 September 1919, Edward M. Bates was commissioned an Ensign 14 November 1940. Ensign Bates was killed in action on board Arizona (BB-39) during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, 7 December 1941.
(DE-68: dp. 1400; l. 306'; b. 36'10"; dr. 13'6"; s. 24 k.; cpl. 186; a. 3 3", 3 21" TT.; cl. Buckley)
Bates (DE-68) was launched 6 June 1943 by Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc., Hingham, Mass.; sponsored by Mrs. Elizabeth Mason Bates, mother of Ensign Bates; and commissioned 12 September 1943, Lieutenant Commander E. H. Maher, USNR in command. < /P>
Bates reported to the Atlantic Fleet and escorted convoys to and from the British Isles until May 1944. On 31 May 1944 she arrived at Plymouth, England, and reported to TF 129 in preparation for the invasion of Normandy. Between 6 and 12 June sh e carried out fire support duties off the Normandy coast. On 8 June she rescued 163 survivors of Meredith (DD-726) who sustained severe damage when she struck a mine.
Returning to New York 21 June Bates underwent a brief yard availability and then escorted another convoy to England. Upon her return she was converted to a high speed transport by Marine Basin Co., Brooklyn, N. Y. On 31 July her classification w as changed to APD-47. Her conversion was completed 23 October and she departed the east coast 5 days later for the Pacific.
Between December 1944 and February 1945, Bates carried out training operations, with various underwater demolition teams embarked, in the vicinity of the Hawaiian and western Caroline Islands. On 10 February she departed Ulithi enroute to the in vasion of Iwo Jima. She arrived off Iwo Jima 16 February and remained in the vicinity until 4 March, during which time she conducted high-speed observation runs around the island and acted as the parent ship for UDT-12.
After a brief period of availability at Ulithi she departed for the invasion of Okinawa. Between 25 March and 25 May Bates assisted in UDT operations, conducted patrols, and escorted two convoys between Ulithi and Okinawa. On 6 April she rescued 23 survivors of Morris (DD-417) who had been hit by a Japanese suicide plane.
At 1115, 25 May, while patrolling 2 miles south of Ie Shima, Okinawa, Bates fought back at three Japanese planes. The first plane dropped a bomb, scoring a near miss which ruptured the starboard hull of the ship, and then crashed into the starbo ard side of the fantail. The second plane, almost simultaneously, made a suicide hit on the pilothouse. Shortly thereafter the third plane made a bombing run scoring a near miss amidships, portside, rupturing the hull. At 1145 the commanding officer order ed Bates abandoned. Twenty-one of her crew were either dead or missing from the attacks. During the afternoon Cree (ATF-84) was able to get a line aboard and towed Bates to Ie Shima anchorage. At 1923, 25 May 1945 the still burning Bates capsized and sank in 20 fathoms of water.
Bates received three battle stars for her World War II service in the Atlantic and Pacific.
Batesburg (PCE-903) see PCE-903
A batfish is any of several fishes; a pediculate fish of the West Indies, the flying gurnard of the Atlantic, or a California sting ray.
(SS-310; dp. 1526; l. 311'8"; b. 27'3"; dr. 16'10"; s. 20.3 k.; cpl. 66; a. 1 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Balao)
Acoupa (SS-310) was renamed Batfish 24 September 1942; launched 6 May 1943 by Portsmouth Navy Yard; sponsored by Mrs. A. J. Fortier; and commissioned 21 August 1943, Lieutenant Commander W. R. Merrill in command.
Batfish's war operations span a period from 11 December 1943 to 26 August 1945 during which she completed six war patrols. She is credited with having sunk nine Japanese ships totaling 10,658 tons while operating east of Japan, in the Phi lippine Sea, Luzon Strait, and South China Sea. Combatant vessels sunk were: the destroyer Samidare, 26 August 1944 in 08°30' N., 134°37' E. and the submarines RO-55, 10 February 1945 in 18°56' N., 121°34' E.; RO-112, 11 February 1945 in 18°53' N., 121°50' E.; and RO-113, 13 February 1945 in 19°10' N., 121°25' E.
Batfish returned to the United States after the Japanese surrender and following completion of her pre-inactivation overhaul was placed out of commission in reserve at Mare Island Navy Yard 6 April 1946.
On 7 March 1952 she was recommissioned and on 21 April assigned to Submarine Division 122 based at Key West, Fla., to carry out training duty. Since that time she has operated between Key West and Caribbean ports.
Batfish received the Presidential Unit Citation for her sixth war patrol in the South China Sea during which she sank the three Japanese submarines. She was also awarded nine battle stars for her World War II service.
Bath is a city in Maine and New York.
(AK-4: dp. 6782; l. 344'; b. 46'2"; dr. 20'2"; s. 10 k.; cpl. 99; a. 3 3")
The first Bath (AK-4) was launched in 1913 by Oderwerke Stettiner, Stettin, Germany, as the Dutch freighter Andromeda; seized by Customs Officials at New Orleans, La., 6 April 1917; transferred to the Navy in May, renamed Bath 6 Ju ne 1917; and commissioned 30 July 1917, Lieutenant Commander E. O. Coffey, USNR, in command.
She left New Orleans 2 August 1917, joined a convoy at Boston, and arrived at Brest, France, 18 September 1917. She was placed in Special Service with Train, Atlantic Fleet, and carried cargo between England and France until February 1918 when she retu rned to the United States. Bath was assigned to the Naval Overseas Transportation Service in March 1918 and carried cargo between the United States and Europe. Between February 1919 and July 1921 she carried cargo between the east and west coasts o f the United States and to the Caribbean.
On 14 July 1921 Bath was assigned to the Asiatic Fleet and arrived at Cavite, Philippine Islands 6 January 1922. She remained with the Asiatic Fleet until decommissioned at Cavite 9 May 1922. She was sold on 2 January 1926.
(PF-55: dp. 1430; l. 303'11"; b. 37'6"; dr. 13'8"; s. 20.3 k.; cpl. 190; a. 3 3"; cl. Tacoma)
The second Bath (PF-55) was launched 14 November 1943 by Froemming Brothers, Inc., Milwaukee Wis.; sponsored by Mrs. Myra W. S. Dean; and commissioned 1 September 1944, Commander J. R. Stewart, USCG, in command.
The Coast Guard manned Bath was assigned to the Atlantic Fleet and based at the Naval Frontier Base, Tompkinsville, N. Y. On 1 January she joined Escort Division 38, serving under Commander, Eastern Sea Frontier. Until 17 May 1945 she escorted c onvoys between New York and Guantanamo, Cuba, as well as operating on coastal anti-submarine patrol.
She departed New York 14 June for Seattle, Wash., and on 13 July 1945 was transferred to Russia under the Lend-Lease Act. Bath was returned to the Navy at Yokosuka, Japan, 15 November 1949 and placed out of commission in reserve. On 23 December 1953 she was loaned to Japan.
Batjan is an island in Indonesia.
(AK: T. 6232; l. 318'; b. 53'6"; dr. 27'9"; s. 11.5 k.; cpl. 62; a. 1 4", 1 3")
Batjan, a cargo vessel, was built in 1913 by William Gray and Co., Ltd., West Hartlepool, England, acquired from her Dutch owners 21 March 1918, and commissioned as a Naval Overseas Transportation Service vessel 28 March 1918, Lieutenant Command er D. E. Rodick, USNRF, in command.
Between April 1918 and June 1919 Batjan transported munitions and supplies to South America and Europe. She was decommissioned at Amsterdam, Holland, and returned to her owners 25 June 1919.
Born in Woodruff, Kans., 20 November 1908, Harold William Bauer graduated from the Academy in 1930; was appointed Second Lieutenant, USMC; and designated a Naval Aviator in February 1936. He was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for extraordinar y heroism and conspicuous courage as Commander of Marine Fighting Squadron 212 in the South Pacific between 10 May and 14 November 1942. Lieutenant Colonel Bauer was missing in action 14 November 1942 and officially declared dead 8 January 1946.
(DE-1025: dp. 1280; l. 314'6"; b. 36'9"; dr. 20'; s. 25 k.; cpl. 170; cl. Dealey)
Bauer (DE-1025) was launched 4 June 1957 by Bethlehem Pacific Coast Steel Corp., San Francisco, Calif.; sponsored by Mrs. H. W. Bauer, widow of Lieutenant Colonel Bauer; and commissioned 21 November 1957, Lieutenant Commander L. D. Cummins in co mmand.
Bauer, Harry F. (DM-26) see Harry F. Bauer (DM-26)
Bauman, P. K. (No. 377) see P. K. Bauman (No. 377)
Born in Pulaski, Va., 17 April 1924, Lewis Kenneth Bausell enlisted in the U. S. Marine Corps in 1941. Corporal Bausell died from wounds received in action 15 December 1944 on Peleliu, Palau Islands, when with his own body he shielded his comrades from the blast of a Japanese hand grenade. Corporal Bausell was posthumously awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor.
(DD-845: dp. 2425; l. 390'6"; b. 40'10"; dr. 18'6"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 367; a. 6 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Gearing)
Bausell (DD-845) was launched 19 November 1945 by Bath Iron Works Corp., Bath, Maine; sponsored by Mrs. Lawrence K. Bausell, mother of Corporal Bausell; commissioned 7 February 1946, Commander J. V. Bewick in command, and reported to the Pacific Fleet.
Between 1946 and 1950 Bausell operated out of San Diego on fleet exercises and training, and completed two tours of the Far East. Between the outbreak of hostilities in Korea and the armistice, Bausell completed three tours with the 7th F leet in the Far East (19 March-10 September 1951, 10 June-2 December 1952, and 30 September 1953-21 March 1954), participating in blockading, bombardment, and patrolling of Korea and contiguous areas in support of the United Nations forces.
Since 1954 Bausell has made two more tours of the Far East. During the first she operated with the 7th Fleet as a part of a fast carrier task force in support of the evacuation of the Tachen Islands (February 1955). Between Far Eastern tours she has conducted extensive type training exercises out of San Diego.
Bausell received three battle stars for her Korean service.
Bavaria is a state in southern Germany.
(AK: T. 2466; l. 371'; b. 44'; dr. 24'; s. 11 k.; cpl. 85; a. 1 6")
Bavaria (No. 2179), a cargo vessel, was built in 1905 by Recherstine Shiffwerke, Hamburg, Germany; seized by the Cuban Government during World War I; turned over to the Shipping Board; transferred to the Navy; and com-
missioned 4 January 1918 with Lieutenant Commander C. A. von Heygendorff, USNRF, assuming command four days later.
Bavaria was assigned to the Naval Overseas Transportation Service and after fitting out at Norfolk Navy Yard proceeded to New York. She joined a convoy which sailed 7 March and arrived at Bordeaux, France, 26 March. She returned to Norfolk 30 Ap ril and, after making a trip to Brunswick, Gal, in May, was placed out of commission at Newport News, Va., 11 June 1918 and returned to the Shipping Board.
Baxley is a town in Georgia.
(AK: T. 2551; l. 268'; b. 45'2"; dr. 23'6"; s. 10 k.; cpl. 56; a. 1 3"; cl. Banago)
Baxley, a cargo vessel, was built in 1918 by Hillyer, Sperring, Dunn Co., Jacksonville, Fla., under a Shipping Board contract; transferred to the Navy 1 October 1918; and commissioned the same day as a Naval Overseas Transportation Service vesse l, Lieutenant Commander F. R. Hunt, USNRF, in command.
Baxley was fitted out to transport supplies and coal. She proceeded to Halifax, Nova Scotia, with a cargo of coal and was detained there for repairs. On 29 October 1918 she sailed for Portsmouth, N. H., and further repairs, but it was decided th at she should return to Boston for demobilization. On 2 December 1918 Baxley was decommissioned at the Boston Navy Yard and returned to the Shipping Board.
Baxter is a county in Arkansas.
Baxter (APR-4) was canceled 12 March 1943 prior to construction.
(APA-94; dp. 8591; l. 468'8"; b. 63'; dr. 23'3"; s. 16.5 k.; cpl. 554; a. 2 5"; cl. Sumter)
Baxter (APA-94) was launched 19 September 1943 by Gulf Shipbuilding Co., Chickasaw, Ala., as Antinous under a Maritime Commission contract, sponsored by Mrs. R. S. Hendry; transferred to the Navy 30 November 1943; placed in reduced commis sion the same day, sailed to New York and placed out of commission for conversion at Atlantic Basin Iron Works, Brooklyn, N. Y., recommissioned 15 May 1944, Captain V. R. Sinclair in command; and reported to the Pacific Fleet.
Between 11 July and 7 August 1944 Baxter made three voyages between the west coast and Pearl Harbor transporting troops and cargo. In August she commenced training exercises in the Hawaiian Islands in preparation for the first assaults against t he Philippines. Between 20 October and 18 November 1944 she participated in the Leyte operation, landing several hundred troops.
Baxter got underway from Manus, Admiralty Islands 31 December 1944 with troops and cargo and again steamed toward the Philippines. On 9 January 1945 she unloaded her troops and equipment in the initial assault against the beaches of Lingayen Gul f, Luzon. She departed the same day and proceeded to Leyte Gulf. On 29 January she took part in the landings at San Felilpe, Luzon, and left for Leyte the same day.
Early in March she embarked troops of the 7th Infantry Division and between 14 and 21 March engaged in training exercises. On 27 March she departed the Philippines for Okinawa where she provided logistic support for the initial stages of the operation (1-6 April 1945). On 6 April she departed for San Francisco arriving on the 30th.
From June 1945 until February 1946 Baxter made six voyages between west coast ports and the islands of the Western Pacific, and later Japan. On 22 March 1946 Baxter was decommissioned and returned to the Maritime Commission.
Baxter received four battle stars for her service in the Pacific.
Baya is a serranoid food-fish.
(SS-318: dp. 1526; l. 311'9"; b. 27'3"; dr. 16'10"; s. 20.3 k.; cpl. 66; a. 1 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Balao)
Baya (SS-318) was launched 2 January 1944 by Electric Boat Co., Groton, Conn.; sponsored by Mrs. C. C. Kirkpatrick, wife of Lieutenant Commander Kirkpatrick; and commissioned 20 May 1944, Commander A. H. Holtz in command.
Baya arrived at Pearl Harbor in August 1944. During 23 August 1944-25 July 1945 she completed five war patrols in the South China Sea, Gulf of Siam, Java Sea, and Philippine Sea. Baya sank four Japanese vessels totaling 8855 tons and an 8 407-ton passenger-cargo ship in conjunction with Hawkbill (SS-366).
Baya departed Subic Bay, Philippine Islands, in September 1945 and arrived at San Francisco on the 24th. Shortly thereafter she began inactivation and on 14 May 1946 went out of commission in reserve at Mare Island Naval Shipyard.
Baya was recommissioned 10 February 1948 and converted to an electronics experimental submarine. Reclassified AGSS-318, 12 August 1949, Baya has since conducted experiments for the Navy Electronics Laboratory San Diego, Calif., participat ed in local operations near San Diego; and has served with the joint American-Canadian Task Force gathering scientific data off western Canada in November and December 1948. During July-September 1949 she made a cruise to the Arctic to gather valuable sci entific data in the Bering and Chukchi Seas. Between July and October 1955 she was deployed to Pearl Harbor on further experimental research.
Baya received four battle stars for her World War II service.
Bayfield is a county in Wisconsin.
(APA-33: dp. 8100; l. 492'; b. 69'6"; dr. 26'6"; s. 18.4 k.; cpl. 575; a. 2 5"; cl. Bayfield)
Bayfield (AP-78) was reclassified APA-33, 1 February 1943; launched 2 August 1942 by Western Pipe and Steel Co., San Francisco, Calif., for the Maritime Commission as Sea Bass; sponsored by Mrs. Clarence A. Reiter; transferred to t he Navy 30 June 1943; and placed in reduced commission the same day. Bayfield departed San Francisco 7 July 1943 and arrived at New York 29 July for conversion, was recommissioned 30 November 1943, Captain L. Spencer, USCG, in command; and assigned to the Atlantic Fleet.
After a period of training exercises as a unit of the Amphibious Training Force, Atlantic Fleet, Bayfield departed for England. Between 6 March and 5 June 1944 she engaged in amphibious maneuvers off England and Scotland, and on 5 June departed for the invasion of France as flagship of Rear Admiral D. P. Moon, CTF 125 (Utah Force). On 6 June she debarked her troops on the coast of Normandy and then lay at anchor off the coast embarking casualties until the 25th when she returned to England. Duri ng July and early August she operated in the Mediterranean before taking part in the assault on southern France (13 August-9 September) as flagship for Rear Admiral S. S. Lewis, CTF 87 (Camel Force). She arrived at Norfolk 26 September and following minor repairs moved to the Pacific in November. Between December 1944 and January 1945 she participated in amphibious training exercises around the Hawaiian Islands.
On 27 January she departed Pearl Harbor and during 19-28 February took part in the assault on Iwo Jima.
She got underway 27 March and operated off Okinawa (1-10 April) and then returned to Saipan. She carried cargo throughout the Pacific islands until arriving at San Francisco 30 July 1945.
Between August 1945 and March 1946 Bayfield made one voyage to Japan and two voyages to Korea with troops and cargo. She participated in the atomic tests at Bikini between April and August 1946. From 1947 until 1949 she made two voyages (7 July 1947-12 March 1948 and 1 November 1948-30 March 1949) to China and then reported to the Atlantic Fleet at Norfolk 20 May 1949. Five days later she departed for San Diego and remained in the Pacific until 26 November 1949 when she returned to the Atlantic.
Bayfield operated along the eastern seaboard and in the Caribbean until 15 August 1950 when she commenced her first tour in the war-torn Korean area. She arrived at Kobe, Japan, from San Diego 16 September, and departed the next day for Inchon, Korea. She spent the next seven months supporting the forces engaged in the Korean action. She took part in the landings at Inchon (15 September), Wonsan (26 October), and the Hungnam Evacuation (11-24 December). She returned to San Diego 26 May 1951. In September 1951 she completed a round trip to Yokosuka, Japan. Returning to the Far East 29 March 1952, she again furnished logistic support off Korea until 1 December when she departed for Long Beach, Calif., arriving on the 16th.
Since that time Bayfield has completed three Far Eastern cruises and has served continuously with the Pacific Fleet. During 21 August-9 September 1954 she assisted in the evacuation of the Vietnamese from northern Indochina.
Bayfield received four battle stars for her World War II service and four battle stars for her Korean service.
Bayocean was a civilian name retained.
(PY: dp. 130; l. 138'; b. 18'; dr. 7'6"; s. 13 k.; cpl. 19; a. 2 3-pdr.)
Bayocean (SP-2640), a yacht, was built in 1911 by Joseph Supple, Portland, Oreg.; purchased by the Navy; delivered in June 1918; and commissioned 17 August 1918, Lieutenant V. S. Terry, USNR, in command.
Bayocean arrived at San Diego 12 September 1918 and was assigned to Division 2, Pacific Fleet. She served as a mail carrier and patrol vessel until 20 November 1918 when she sailed from San Diego for patrol duty near Pichilinque, Mexico. After t wo months in Mexican waters Bayocean returned to San Diego. On 3 February 1919 she arrived at Mare Island where she remained until decommissioned 14 March 1919. Bayocean was sold 5 August 1921.
Bayonne is a city in New Jersey.
(PF-21: dp. 1430; l. 303'11"; b. 37'6"; dr. 13'8"; s. 20.3 k.; cpl. 190; a. 3 3"; cl. Tacoma)
Bayonne (PF-21) was launched 11 September 1943 by American Shipbuilding Co., Cleveland, Ohio, under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. Hannah Gallagher, and commissioned 14 February 1945 Commander E. E. Comstock in command.
The ship departed Norfolk for Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, 3 March 1945 where she engaged in training exercises. On 3 April she sailed to Kingston, Jamaica, and then to Philadelphia. Bayonne departed New York 3 July 1945 for Puget Sound Navy Yard where she underwent a brief availability. She sailed for Alaska 21 August and she remained at Cold Bay through 2 September, when she was decommissioned and loaned to Russia under Lend-Lease.
Bayonne was returned to the Navy by Russia and placed out of commission in reserve at Yokosuka, Japan, 14 November 1949. She was recommissioned 28 July 1950 at Yokosuka and got underway from Kobe, Japan to Inchon, Korea, 11 September to particip ate in the landings there. She continued serving in Korean waters, except for occasional visits to Japan for upkeep and resupply, until 31 January 1953 when she was decommissioned and loaned to Japan under the Mutual Defense Assistance Program.
Bayonne received six battle stars for her Korean service.
Bay Spring is a town in Mississippi.
(AT-60: dp. 775; l. 150'; b. 27'8"; dr. 14'1"; s. 11 k.; cpl. 37)
Bay Spring (AT-60) was built in 1920 by Providence Engine ring Co., Providence, R. I.; transferred from the Shipping Board 28 September 1921, and commissioned 10 November 1921, Lieutenant F. Muller in command.
She left for Key West, Fla., 16 December 1921 and upon arrival was assigned to the 7th Naval District. She attended to routine duties until assigned to the 4th Naval District. The tug arrived at Philadelphia 15 August 1926 and remained on duty there un til 23 November 1926 when she went out of commission.
On 7 October 1940 Bay Spring was reclassified YNg-19. Two days later she moved to the Kensington Shipyard and Dry Dock Co., Philadelphia, for conversion to a non-self propelled gate vessel. She was placed in service in the 4th Naval Distr ict 31 January 1941 and assigned to duty with the Local Defense Forces as a gate vessel for boom defenses near the Delaware Capes.
She was stricken from the Navy List 16 September 1944 and transferred to the Maritime Commission 6 May 1946.
Bazely see Beta
The beagle is a breed of small, short-coated hunting hound.
(Sch: T. 62; cpl. 31; a. 3 guns)
The first Beagle, a schooner was purchased by Commodore David Porter at Baltimore. Md., 20 December 1822; and commissioned during 1823, Lieutenant J. T. Newton in command.
During 1823 Beagle served with Commodore Porter's piracy suppression squadron in the West Indies. In company with Greyhound she landed a party at Cape Cruz, Cuba (21-22 July 1823) which broke up the headquarters of a pirate band. On 14 No vember 1824 she formed part of the force under Commodore Porter which landed 200 men at Foxardo, Puerto Rico, in pursuit of another pirate band. This invasion of Spanish sovereignty resulted in the recall and court-martial of Commodore Porter. Beagle returned to Washington Navy Yard in March 1823 and was sold soon afterwards.
(IX-112: dp. 3665; l. 441'6"; b. 56'11", dr. 28'4"; s. 11 k.; cpl. 79; a. 1 5", 1 3"; cl. Armadillo)
The second Beagle (IX-112) was launched 29 October 1943 by California Shipbuilding Corp., Wilmington, Calif., under a Maritime Commission contract as David Rittenhouse; sponsored by Mrs. Victor Dalton; transferred to the Navy 20 No vember 1943; and commissioned the same day, Lieutenant R. E. Rew, Jr., USNR, in command.
From California, Beagle proceeded to the Marshall Islands via Pearl Harbor. She served as a tanker, plying
from Eniwetok, Kwajalein, and Majuro, to Saipan, Iwo Jima, and Yokosuka, Japan. On 10 March 1946 she was relieved and departed Eniwetok for the Atlantic. She arrived at the Canal Zone 16 April and reported to Norfolk, Va., 30 April 1946. She was decomm issioned 13 June 1946 and returned to the Maritime Commission the same day.
Born in Washington, D. C., 4 February 1822, Edward Fitzgerald Beale was appointed to the Naval School Philadelphia, Pa., in 1836 and was warranted a passed midshipman 1 July 1842. He distinguished himself during the Mexican War by carrying despatches t hrough enemy lines following the Battle of San Pasqual, Calif. After the war he resigned his commission to become Superintendent of Indian Affairs in California and New Mexico. He served as Minister to Austria (1876-77) and died in Washington, D. C., 22 A pril 1893.
(DD-40: dp. 742; l. 293'11"; b. 27'; dr. 9'5"; s. 29.7 k.; cpl. 83; a. 4 3", 6 18" TT.; cl. Monaghan)
The first Beale (DD-40) was launched 30 April 1912 by William Cramp and Sons Ship and Engine Building Co., Philadelphia, Pa.; sponsored by Mrs. John R. McLean, daughter of Lieutenant Beale; and commissioned 30 August 1912, Lieutenant (junior gra de) C. T. Blackburn in command.
Beale joined the 5th Group, Torpedo Flotilla, Atlantic Fleet, and cruised along the Atlantic coast and in Mexican and Caribbean waters until placed in reserve 13 December 1915. Reactivated, with a reduced crew, 5 January 1916, she served on Neut rality Patrol along the Atlantic coast until placed in full commission 22 March 1917. Joining the Atlantic Destroyer Force, she arrived at Queenstown, Ireland, 5 February 1918. Beale operated out of Queenstown on convoy and patrol duty until the en d of World War I. She returned to the United States in December 1918 and served with the Atlantic Fleet until placed out of commission in reserve at Philadelphia Navy Yard 25 October 1919. Reactivated in 1924, Beale was transferred to the Coast Gua rd 28 April 1924 for use in enforcing the Prohibition Act. She was returned to the Navy 18 October 1930 and was laid up at Philadelphia Navy Yard until scrapped in 1934.
(DD-471: dp. 2050; l. 376'5"; b. 39'7"; dr. 17'9"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 329; a. 5 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Fletcher)
The second Beale (DD-471) was launched 24 August 1942 by Bethlehem Steel Co., Staten Island, N. Y.; sponsored by Miss Naney Beale, a great-grandniece of Lieutenant Beale; and commissioned 23 December 1942, Commander J. B. Cockran in command.
Reporting to the Pacific Fleet, Beale took part in the landings at Cape Gloucester, New Britain (26-28 December 1943 and 23 January-1 February 1944); Saidor, New Guinea (2-22 January); bombardment of Sio, New Guinea (8 January), Admiralty Island s landings (27 February-8 March); bombardment of Wewak, New Guinea (18-19 March); Hollandia landings (22 April); Wakde-Toem landings (17 May), Biak landings (27 May-9 June), night destroyer action off Biak (8-9 June); Noemfoor Island landings (2 July); We wak-Aitape landings (16 24 July); Cape Sansapor, New Guinea, landings (30 July); Peleliu, Palaus, landings (15 September); and invasion of Okinawa (1-24 April 1945). As a fitting climax to her outstanding career, she took part in the 3rd Fleet air strikes against the Japanese home islands (26 July-7 August 1945) bringing an end to the war.
Beale remained in the Western Pacific on occupation duty until 30 November 1945. She then returned home and went out of commission in reserve at Charleston 9 Navy Yard 11 April 1946. Reclassified DDE-471, 2 January 1951, she was converted at Bo ston Naval Shipyard and recommissioned 1 November 1951. Through 1956 Beale has made six Caribbean training cruises and one trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. She also made three tours in the Mediterranean with the 6th Fleet. Beale received six battle stars for her World War II service.
Beals, Horace see Horace Beals
A bear is a large, heavy mammal with long shaggy hair.
(ScStr: T. 751; l. 190'4"; b. 29'9"; dr. 12')
Bear was built in 1874 by Alexander Stephen and Sons Ltd., Linthouse, Goven, Scotland, as a sealing vessel, purchased by the Navy at St. John's, Newfoundland, 28 January 1884; and commissioned 17 March 1884, Lieutenant W. H. Emory in command. P>
Bear was purchased for use in the rescue of Lieutenant A. W. Greeley, USA, and his expedition, who were marooned in the Arctic. Bear and Thetis successfully rescued Greeley and the six other survivors at Cape Sabine 23 June 1884. I n April 1885 Bear was decommissioned and transferred to the Revenue Cutter Service.
She remained with the Revenue Cutter Service and Coast Guard until 1929, making 34 voyages to Alaskan and Arctic waters. Sold by the Coast Guard in 1929 to the City of Oakland, Calif., for use as a museum, she was used (as Bear of Oakl and) by Rear Admiral R. E. Byrd during his Antarctic Expedition of 1933-35. Repurchased by the Navy 11 September 1939, she was commissioned the same day as Bear (AG-29). Following two voyages to the Antarctic (22 November 1939-5 June 1940 and 1 0 October 1940 18 May 1941), Bear served with the Northeast Greenland Patrol until returning to Boston 15 November 1943. She was decommissioned 17 May 1944 and transferred to the Maritime Commission 13 February 1948.
Bear, Polar see Polar Bear
Born in Indiana 13 April 1875, Hiram I. Bearss was appointed a Second Lieutenant, USMC, in 1898. He served in the Philippines, Panama, Cuba, Mexico, Santo Domingo, and France. He received the Congressional Medal of Honor for his part in the Battle at t he Junction of the Cadacan and Sojoton Rivers, Samar, Philippine Islands, 17 November 1901. Colonel Bearss retired 22 November 1919 and was advanced to Brigadier General (retired) in 1936. General Bearss died 26 August 1938.
(DD-654: dp. 2050; l. 376'5"; b. 39'7"; dr. 17'9"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 329; a. 5 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Fletcher)
Bearss (DD-654) was launched 25 July 1943 by Gulf Shipbuilding Corp., Chickasaw, Ala.; sponsored by Mrs. Louise Bearss, widow of General Bearss; and commissioned 12 April 1944, Commander J. A. Webster in command.
Bearss reported to the Pacific Fleet and operated in Hawaiian waters during July 1944. On 9 August 1944 she arrived at Adak, Alaska, and served with TF's 92 and 94 in anti-shipping sweeps and bombardments in the Kurile Islands, as well as patrol ling in the Sea of Okhotsk until the end of the war. She took part in the bombardments of Matsuwa (21 November 1944, 16 March, and 11-12 June 1945), Suribachi Wan (5 January and 19 May 1945); Kurabu Wan (18 February 1945); and the anti-shipping sweeps (19 May, 25 June, 17-19, 22 July, and 11 August 1945). Bearss arrived at Ominato, Honshu, 8 September 1945 and patrolled along the southern coast of
Hokkaido until returning to the United States. She arrived at Charleston, S. C., 22 December 1945; went into commission in reserve 12 July 1946; and out of commission in reserve 31 January 1947.
Bearss was recommissioned 7 September 1951 and joined Destroyer Division 322, Destroyer Squadron 32, Atlantic Fleet. She has since served along the Atlantic coast and in the Caribbean on normal peacetime operations. She has made two Mediterranea n cruises and one Far Eastern cruise (April-October 1954) which took her around the world.
Bearss received one battle star for her World War II service.
Born in Jefferson County, Wis., 26 November 1853 Frank Edmund Beatty, graduated from the Academy in 1875. He commanded Wisconsin (BB-9) during the world cruise of the Atlantic Battleship Fleet. He was later Commandant of the Navy Yard and the Na val Gun Factory, Washington, D. C. Rear Admiral Beatty also assisted in improving naval artillery practice and in developing an electric range finder. He retired 6 October 1919 and died at Charleston, S. C., 16 March 1926.
Beatty (DD-528) was renamed Mullany (q. v.) 28 May 1941.
(DD-640: dp. 1630; l. 348'3"; b. 36'1"; dr. 17'5"; s. 37k.; cpl. 276; a. 6 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Gleaves)
Beatty (DD-640) was launched 20 December 1941 by Charleston Navy Yard; sponsored by Mrs. Charles H. Drayton, daughter of Admiral Beatty; and commissioned 7 May 1942, Lieutenant Commander F. C. Stelter, Jr., in command.
Beatty joined the Atlantic Fleet and patrolled along the east coast and in the Caribbean until 8 October 1942. She escorted the Southern (Safi) Attack Force to the North African invasion (8-11 November 1942). The destroyer then began escorting c onvoys between New York and Casablanca, French Morocco, making three round trips between 12 December 1942 and 28 April 1943. Departing New York 8 June she arrived at Oran, Algeria, 22 June. She left Oran 5 July and during 10-12 July took part in the invas ion of Sicily.
Returning to New York 4 August, she then completed a round trip convoy escort mission to the Mediterranean (21 August-21 September). Departing New York 2 October she escorted a convoy to Britain and there picked up another convoy (28 October) for the M editerranean. While off Cape Bourgaroun, Algeria, 6 November 1943, German aircraft attacked the convoy. After fighting off several planes, Beatty was torpedoed. She broke in two and sank about three hours and 22 minutes later. Eleven of the crew we re lost and eight wounded during the attack.
Beatty received three battle stars for her World War II service.
Beatty (DD-873) was renamed Hawkins (q. v.) 22 June 1944.
(DD-756: dp. 2200; l. 376'6"; b. 40'10"; dr. 19'; s. 34.2 k.; cpl. 345; a. 6 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Allen M. Sumner)
The second Beatty (DD-756) was launched 30 November 1944 by Bethlehem Steel Co., Staten Island, N. Y., sponsored by Mrs. Charles H. Drayton daughter, and Miss Mary Drayton, granddaughter of Admiral Beatty; and commissioned 31 March 1945, Command er M. T. Munger in command.
Beatty reported to Commander, Operational Training Command, Atlantic Fleet, 22 June 1945 for duty as a training ship. She operated in Chesapeake Bay and made one cruise to the Caribbean between June and November On 10 November 1945 she departed Norfolk for the Pacific; arriving at San Diego on the 25th. She remained on the west coast until the end of March 1946 when she rejoined the Atlantic Fleet.
Between February and August 1947 Beatty cruised in Northern European waters. She conducted her first tour in the Mediterranean between September 1948 and January 1949. While in the Mediterranean she served on patrol duty, based at Haifa, Israel, during the Arab-Israeli dispute. Retiring to the east coast Beatty operated out of Melville and Newport, R. I., along the eastern seaboard, and in the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico until March 1951 when she returned to the Mediterranean. This cruis e lasted until June.
On 2 October 1951 Beatty departed Newport for Yokosuka, Japan, via the Panama Canal. Upon arrival 31 October 1951, she joined TF 77 for patrol and blockade duty off the east coast of Korea. During November she participated in shore bombardments of Wonsan, Chongjin, Songjin, and Tanchon. On 15 February she again bombarded targets at Wonsan. On 27 February 1952 she departed Yokosuka. Sailing via Hong Kong, Singapore, and Colombo, Ceylon, she transited the Suez Canal for a brief tour of the Mediter ranean. She departed Cannes France, 12 April and arrived at Newport 21 April 1952.
Since that time Beatty has remained active with the Atlantic Fleet. She has made several tours of the Mediterranean, as a unit of the 6th Fleet, and has conducted local operations, type training, and training cruises along the eastern seaboard a nd in the Caribbean.
Beatty received two battle stars for her Korean service.
Beaufort is a town in South Carolina.
(Galley: l. 52'; b. 15'; dph. 5'8"; cpl. 28; a. 1 24-pdr. car.; cl. Beaufort)
The first Beaufort, a galley, was built in 1799 at Beaufort, S. C., and commissioned under Captain P. A. Cartwright. Under War Department orders she patrolled off South Carolina (1799-1801) on coast defense. Beaufort was sold at Charlesto n, S. C., about 1 February 1802.
The 85-foot tug Beaufort, captured at Richmond, Va. in May 1865, was sold 15 September 1865 without seeing service.
(AK: dp. 4565; l. 288'10"; b. 40'; dr. 18'4"; s. 8 k. cpl. 92; a. 4 3")
The second Beaufort (No. 3008) was built in 1909 by H. Koch A. G., Lubeek, Germany, as the German collier Rheingraf (later renamed Rudolph Blumberg); seized at Pensacola, Fla., 6 April 1917, fitted out at New Orleans; and co mmissioned 20 September 1917, Lieutenant Commander W. M. Gifford, USNRF, in command.
Beaufort departed Staten Island, N. Y., 25 October 1917 for France. She remained in European waters until 7 March 1919 serving on the cross-Channel coal service. She returned to Hampton Roads, Va., 19 April and joined Train, Atlantic Fleet. In 1 920 she was classified AK-6. She continued to operate off the Atlantic coast and in the Caribbean on supply missions until November 1925. Decommissioned 23 December 1925 at Norfolk Navy Yard, she was sold 22 October 1926.
(PF-59: dp. 1190; l. 303'11"; b. 37'6"; dr. 13'8"; s. 19 k.; cpl. 180; a. 2 3"; cl. Tacoma)
The third Beaufort (PF-59) was launched 9 October 1943 by Globe Shipbuilding Co., Superior, Wis.; sponsored
by Mrs. Elma G. Rodgers; and commissioned 28 August 1944, Lieutenant Commander. G. R. Boyce, USCG, in command.
The Coast Guard manned Beaufort served on weather patrol and plane guard duties off the Newfoundland coast from 1 November 1944 until 20 March 1946. She was decommissioned at Norfolk 19 April 1946 and sold 11 April 1947.
Back to the DANFS Online Main Page
Questions, Comments and Feedback
This section of the HG&UW site coordinated and maintained by Andrew Toppan.
Copyright © 1996-2003, Andrew Toppan. All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction, reuse, or distribution without permission is prohibited.