Banago is a tropical timber tree.
(AK: T. 2551; l. 268'; b. 45'2"; dr. 23'6"; a 10 k.; cpl. 56; cl. Banago)
Banago was launched 4 July 1918 by Alabama Dry Dock and Shipbuilding Co., Mobile, Ala., under a Shipping Board contract; transferred to the Navy 25 September 1918; commissioned 29 September 1918, Lieutenant Commander H. R. Hansen, USNRF, in comm and; and reported to the Naval Overseas Transportation Service.
Following extensive repairs Banago left Norfolk 5 November 1918 with a cargo of coal but returned the following day because of rudder trouble. After an inspection, she discharged part of her cargo and was towed by Crenshaw to New York whe re, on 21 December 1918, Banago was decommissioned and returned to the Shipping Board.
George Bancroft was born in Worcester, Mass., 3 October 1800. An eminent historian and politician, he wrote The History of the United States. In 1845 he was appointed Secretary of the Navy and founded the Naval Academy. He also fostered the work of the Washington Observatory and raised the standard of professional instruction. He was later minister to Great Britain, Prussia and the North German Federation, and the German Empire. He died in Washington in 1891 an d was buried in Worcester, Mass.
(PG: dp. 839; l. 189'; b. 32'; dr. 12'2"; s. 14.5 k.; cpl. 123; a. 44", 2 18" TT.)
The first Bancroft, a steel gunboat, was launched 30 April 1892 by Samuel L. Moore and Sons, Elizabethport, N. J., sponsored by Miss Mary Frances Moore; and commissioned 3 March 1893, Lieutenant Commander A. Walker in command.
Bancroft was designated as a practice ship for the Naval Academy midshipmen and stationed at Annapolis. During 1893-96 she cruised along the east coast visiting various shipyards with groups of midshipmen embarked. In September 1896 she sailed t o join the European Squadron and for the next year and a half protected American interests in the Eastern Mediterranean.
Called home when Congress declared war upon Spain Bancroft reached Boston, Mass., 4 April 1898 and served with the North Atlantic Squadron between 9 May and 9 August. She convoyed troop transports to Cuba and was on blockade duty at Havana and t he Isle of Pines. On 28 July Bancroft seized a small schooner.
Bancroft returned to Boston 2 September and was placed out of commission 30 September 1898. After being recommissioned 14 August 1900, she cruised in Colombian waters (26 November 1900-12 February 1901) making surveys. Returning to Boston 29 Apr il 1901, she went out of commission 25 May. Recommissioned 6 October 1902 she served until 1905 as a station ship at San Juan, P. R., cruising in the West Indies and patrolling the area. Bancroft was transferred to the Revenue Cutter Service 30 Jun e 1906.
(DD-256: dp. 1215; l. 314'4"; b. 31'8"; dr. 9 10"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 122; a. 4 4", 1 3", 12 21" TT.; cl. Clemson)
The second Bancroft (DD-256) was launched 21 March 1919 by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Quincy, Mass.; sponsored by Miss Mary W. Bancroft, great-granddaughter of George Bancroft; and commissioned 30 June 1919, Lieutenant Commander H. S. Haislip in command.
Bancroft joined the Atlantic Fleet and took part in fleet training activities until 26 November 1919 when she went into reserve commission. She was placed out of commission at Philadelphia 11 July 1922.
Bancroft was recommissioned 18 December 1939 and served with the Atlantic Squadron on the east coast until decommissioned at Halifax, Nova Scotia, and transferred to Great Britain in the destroyer-land bases exchange 24 September 1940.
Bancroft was allocated to the Royal Canadian Navy and was taken over by the Canadians 24 September 1940 (renamed HMCS St. Francis). She left Halifax 15 January 1941 and arrived in the Clyde River, Scotland, 26 January. She joined t he 4th Escort Group and on 20 May she rescued all the survivors of the steamship Starcross which had to be sunk after being torpedoed by a submarine. At the end of June she escorted a troop convoy to the Middle East and in July she joined the newly formed Newfoundland Escort Force. Between 1941 and 1943 she escorted North Atlantic convoys and made several attacks on enemy submarines.
After refitting at Halifax, St. Francis joined Escort Group C.2 in the Western Approaches Command in June 1943 but in August was transferred to the 9th Escort Group (RCN), working from Londonderry, Ireland. She returned to the Western Loc al Escort Force at Halifax the following month. From early 1944 she was employed on training duties at Digby, Nova Scotia, where on 1 April 1945 she was declared surplus.
(DD-598: dp. 1620; l. 347'10"; b. 36'1"; dr. 17'4"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 276; a. 5 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Benson)
The third Bancroft (DD-598) was launched 31 December 1941 by Bethlehem Steel Co., Quincy, Mass.; sponsored by Mrs. Hester Bancroft Barry, great-granddaughter of George Bancroft; commissioned 30 April 1942, Lieutenant Commander J. L. Melgaard in command; and reported to the Pacific Fleet.
Bancroft arrived at Dutch Harbor, Alaska, 17 September 1942 and remained in the Aleutian Islands until late August 1943, supporting the occupation of Amchitka (12 January 1943), Attu (11 May-2 June), and Kiska (15 August) Islands. Between Septem ber 1943 and July 1945 she was a wheelhorse in fire support, screening, and escort duties in the Wake Island raid (5-6 October 1943); Tarawa, Gilbert Islands raid (18 September) and occupation (20 November-6 December); Kwajalein, Marshall Islands, seizure (31 January-16 February 1944); Mille Atoll, Marshall Islands, landings (17-18 March); Palau and Woleai raid (29 March-2 April); Hollandia operation (21-24 April); Truk-Satawan-Ponape raid (28-30 April), Wotje Island, Marshall Islands, Mid (23 May); Saipa n occupation (25 June-22 July); Maloelap Atoll, Marshall Islands, raid (8 August); Philippine Islands operations (8 March 3 April 1945); and the Borneo operations (1 May-5 July). Between September and November 1945 Bancroft escorted convoys between the Philippine Islands, Okinawa, and Japan.
On 9 December 1945 she arrived at Norfolk and went out of commission in reserve at Charleston, S. C., 1 February 1946.
Bancroft received eight battle stars for her World War II service.
Bandera is a county in Texas.
(APA-131: dp. 6873; l. 455'; b. 62'; dr. 24'; s. 17.7 k.; cpl. 536; a. 1 5"; cl. Haskell)
Bandera (APA-131) was launched 6 October 1944 for the Maritime Commission by California Shipbuilding Co., Wilmington, Calif.; sponsored by Mrs. Elmer P. Abernethy, wife of Captain Abernethy; acquired 5 December 1944, and commissioned 6 December 1944, Captain G. C. Miller in command.
Between 1 February and 27 August 1945 Bandera shuttled troops and cargo between Pearl Harbor; Ulithi, Caroline Islands, Guam and Saipan, Marianas Islands and Eniwetok, Marshall Islands. With the cessation of hostilities she made several runs bet ween the Philippine Islands and Inchon, Korea, and arrived at San Francisco 9 December 1945. Between 28 December 1945 and 15 February 1946 she carried passengers between San Francisco and Shanghai, China. On 27 February she departed San Francisco for Norf olk, where she arrived 11 March. She was decommissioned 7 May 1946 and returned to the Maritime Commission on the 14th.
The bang is a type of sardine.
(SS-385: dp. 1526; l. 311'8"; b. 27'3"; dr. 16'10", s. 20.3 k.; cpl. 66; a. 1 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Balao)
Bang (SS-385) was launched 30 August 1943 by Portsmouth Navy Yard; sponsored by Mrs. R. W. Neblett; and commissioned 4 December 1943, Lieutenant Commander A. R. Gallaher in command.
Bang's war operations span the period from 29 March 1944 until 18 May 1945, during which time she completed six war patrols. She is officially credited with sinking eight Japanese merchant ships totaling 20,177 tons while operating in the South China and Philippine Seas.
Bang arrived at Portsmouth Navy Yard 22 June 1945 and after repairs proceeded to New London where she went out of commission in reserve 12 February 1947.
Bang was converted to a Guppy type submarine and recommissioned 4 October 1952. Until August 1953 she conducted training off the east coast and in the Caribbean. During August-24 September 1953 she operated east of Iceland and off Scotland.
In January 1954 she sailed to the Mediterranean for a cruise with the 6th Fleet which terminated 11 March 1954 at New London, Conn. Between March 1954 and December 1956 Bang operated out of New London on various exercises, conducted two training cruises in the Caribbean, one cruise to Halifax, Nova Scotia, and one trip to Quebec, Canada.
Bang received six battle stare for her World War II patrols.
Bangor is a city in Maine.
(PF-16: dp. 1430; l. 303'11"; b. 37'6"; dr. 13'8"; a. 20.3 k.; cpl. 214; a. 8 3"; cl. Tacoma)
Bangor (PF-16) was launched 6 November 1943 by American Shipbuilding Co., Lorain, Ohio, sponsored by Mrs. Ruth R. Hutchins, wife of the Mayor of Bangor; commissioned 22 November 1944, Lieutenant Commander F. J. Statts, USCG, in command; and repo rted to the Atlantic Fleet.
Between 23 January and 2 June 1945 the Coast Guard manned Bangor made two trans-Atlantic escort crossings to North Africa. During late June she transited the Panama Canal and took part in submarine exercises off Saboga Island, Panama Bay. During September she cruised in the waters off Alaska and was later assigned to weather station duty off Pearl Harbor.
Bangor was decommissioned and loaned to the Coast Guard 16 April 1946; returned by the Coast Guard 16 August 1946; and sold to Mexico 24 November 1947.
Born 30 May 1916 in Niles, Ohio, George Bangust enlisted in the Navy in 1938. He received a posthumous Navy Cross for extraordinary heroism as a waist gunner of a PBY during a bombing attack against Japanese shipping in Jolo Harbor, Philippine Islands, 27 December 1941. Aviation Machinist Mate, Second Class Bangust died the same day from wounds and injuries received during that attack.
(DD-739: dp. 1240; l. 306'; b. 36'8"; dr. 11'8", s. 21 k. cpl. 186; a. 3 3", 3 21" TT.; cl. Cannon)
Bangust (DE-739) was launched 6 June 1943 by Western Pipe and Steel Co., Los Angeles, Calif.; sponsored by Mrs. Stephen W. Gerber; commissioned 30 October 1943 Lieutenant Commander C. F. MacNish, USNR, in command; and reported to the Pacific Fle et.
Between February 1944 and August 1945 Bangust escorted various logistic groups during the occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls (6-8 February 1944); Palau-Yap-Ulithi-Wolesi raid (80 March-1 April); occupation of Saipan, Guam, and Tinian (18 June-11 August); Battle of the Philippine Sea (19-20 June); occupation of the southern Palau Islands and the assault on the Philippine Islands (11 September-13 October); Leyte operation (18 October-25 December); 3rd Fleet raids on Formosa, China coast, an d the Nansei Shoto in support of the Luzon operation (14-25 January 1945); occupation of Iwo Jima (16 February-6 March), 5th and 3rd Fleet raids in support of the Okinawa operation (26 March-10 June); and 3rd Fleet raids against Japan (10-18 July and 29 J uly-15 August).
At 2314 on 10 June 1944, Bangust, proceeding independently from Pearl Harbor to Kwajalein, made radar contact with what upon closer investigation proved to be a surfaced Japanese submarine. The submarine quickly dove but between 0001 and 0152, 1 1 June Bangust made four hedgehog attacks, the last of which sank the Japanese submarine RO-42, in 10°05' N., 158° 22' E.
Bangust returned to the United States in the fall of 1945; was decommissioned 17 November 1946, and on 21 February 1952 was transferred to Peru under the Mutual Defense Assistance Program.
Bangust received 11 battle stars for her World War II service.
Banner is a county in Nebraska.
(APA-60: dp. 4247; l. 426'; b. 58'; dr. 16'; a. 16.9 k; cpl. 320; a. 1 6"; cl. Gillam)
The first Banner (APA-60) was launched 3 May 1944 by Consolidated Steel Corp., Ltd., Wilmington, Calif., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Miss Grace Henley; acquired from the Maritime Commission 15 September 1944; commissioned 16 September 1944, Lieutenant Commander J. R. Pace in command; and reported to the Pacific Fleet.
Banner loaded cargo and passengers and got underway from the west coast 30 October 1944, putting into Milne Bay, New Guinea, 17 November. Until 30 December 1944 she carried passengers and cargo between Humboldt Bay, Hollandia, and Cape Sansapor, New Guinea. On the 30th she departed Cape Sansapor in company with TG 78.5 enroute to Lingagen Gulf, Luzon, Philippine Islands.
She arrived in Lingayen Gulf 9 January 1945 and on the next day she successfully unloaded her cargo. On 11 January she departed for Leyte, Philippine Islands, arriving 14 January 1945. Arriving at Seeadler Harbor, Manus Island, Admiralty Islands, 24 Ja nuary, she departed the following day for Maffin Bay, New Guinea where she hurriedly took on troops and cargo and departed for Humboldt Bay, New Guinea, arriving 29 January.
She departed for Leyte 14 February 1946, arriving 20 February. She then debarked her passengers; loaded to capacity with cargo and troops; and got underway 27 March for Okinawa where she unloaded her troops and cargo between 1 and 5 April.
On 5 April she departed for the west coast, via Guam and Pearl Harbor, arriving at San Francisco 11 May. Loaded with troops and cargo she departed 19 May and anchored at Leyte 10 June. She departed Leyte 19 June and sailed via Oro Bay and Humboldt Bay, New Guinea to the west coast, arriving at San Francisco 3 August. She departed 27 August for Okinawa, via Eniwetok, arriving 19 September. After loading 976 troops for transportation to the United States, she departed 27 September 1945.
Banner continued on transport duty until February 1946 when she was assigned as a target vessel for Operation Crossroads. She underwent preparation for the exercise at San Pedro, Calif., and Pearl Harbor until 15 May 1946 when she departed for t he Marshall Islands.
Arriving at Bikini Atoll on the 28th, she was used as a target vessel during the atomic tests of July and August. Banner was decommissioned 27 August 1946 and scuttled off Kwajalein 16 February 1948.
Banner received two battle stars for her World War II service.
(AKL-25: dp. 550; l. 177'; b. 33'; dr. 10'; s. 12 k. ; cpl. 40; cl. Camano)
The second Banner (AKL-25) was built by Kewaukee Shipbuilding and Engineering Corp., Kewaukee, Wis., for the Army as FS-345; transferred to the Navy 1 July 1950, commissioned 24 November 1952, Lieutenant H. W. Atkisson in command, and ass igned to Service Division 51, Pacific Fleet.
On 3 February 1953 she departed Pearl Harbor with a cargo of general stores for Guam, stopping enroute at Midway. From 1953 through 1956 Banner has operated with the Service Force in the Pacific, transporting miscellaneous supplies, diesel fuel oil, ammunition, and passengers between Guam and Yokosuka, Japan, via Chichi Jima in the Bonin Islands. She also carried cargo to other Pacific islands, including Okinawa, Iwo Jima, Saipan, and Luzon.
Banning (PCE-886) see PCE-886
The Bannock are an Indian tribe in southern Idaho.
(AT-81: dp. 1235; l. 205'; b. 38'6"; dr. 15'4"; s. 16 k.; cpl. 85; a. 1 3"; cl. Cherokee)
Bannock (AT-81) was launched 7 January 1943 by Charleston Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Charleston, S. C., sponsored by Mrs. Katherine Carswell, widow of Chief Petty Officer Carswell; commissioned 28 June 1943, Lieutenant S. P. Morgan in comman d; and reported to the Atlantic Fleet.
Until April 1944 Bannock engaged in towing along the east coast and in the Caribbean. On 19 April 1944 she arrived in England and, until June, towed ships and barges in preparation for the invasion of Europe. On 15 May 1944 her designation was c hanged to ATF-81.
Between 6 June and 21 July Bannock conducted salvage, repair, towing, and fire fighting operations on United States and British naval vessels during and subsequent to the invasion of Normandy. She returned to Boston 26 August 1944 and remained o n the east coast until December when she proceeded to the Pacific. Departing Pearl Harbor 9 February 1945 Bannock sailed to the Western Pacific where, between 6 May and 30 June 1945, she participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa.
Bannock continued to operate throughout the Western Pacific until 22 January 1946. In the early months of 1946 she worked her way eastward across the Pacific, arriving at San Diego in May. Following pre-inactivation overhaul, she was placed out of commission in reserve 21 February 1947 at Orange, Tex.
Bannock was recommissioned 11 September 1951 and reported to the Atlantic Fleet. Between September 1951 and November 1955 she had general and target towing duty along the eastern seaboard. She once again went out of commission in reserve 25 Nove mber 1955.
Bannock received two battle stars for her service during World War II.
Banshee is a female spirit of Irish and Scottish folklore.
(SwStr.: T 533; l. 220'; b. 20'4"; dr. 10'; a. 15 k.; cpl. 89; a. 1 30-pdr. R., 2 12-pdr. S. B.)
The first Banshee was built in 1862 by Jones, Quiggin and Co., Liverpool, England, captured by Fulton and Grand Gulf off Wilmington, N. C., 21 November 1863, while attempting to run the blockade; purchased 12 March 1864 from the New York Prize Court; and fitted out as a gunboat. On 14 June 1864 Acting Volunteer Lieutenant W. H. Garfield was ordered to take command of Banshee and proceed to Wilmington, N. C., for duty with the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron.
Banshee served with the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron until 3 January 1865, taking part in the attack on Fort Fisher (24 December 1864). She joined the Potomac Flotilla 16 January 1865 and was sold at New York 30 November 1865.
(IX-178: dp. 4500; l. 446;; b. 58'2"; dph. 33'4"; a. 1 4", 1 3")
The second Banshee (IX-178), a tanker, was built in 1917 by William Cramp and Sons Ship and Engine Building Co., Philadelphia, Pa., as Harold Walker (later renamed W. G. Fairbanks), chartered from the War Shipp ing Administration 13 December 1944; and commissioned 25 December 1944 at Milne Bay, New Guinea, Lieutenant Commander F. H. Lemon in command.
Between January and November 1945 Banshee served as a station tanker at Humboldt Bay, New Guinea (25 January-25 March); Morotai Island, Netherlands East Indies (31 March-27 June); and Manila Bay, Luzon (August-17 November).
On 18 November 1945 Banshee steamed to Subic Bay, Philippine Islands, where she underwent pre-inactivation overhaul until 4 February 1946. She was decommissioned 5 February 1946 and returned to the War Shipping Administration the same day.
Banshee received one battle star for her service during the Balikpapan operation (28 June-7 July 1945).
Barataria (or Barrataria) Bay is on the southeast coast of Louisiana. It was the base of Jean Lafitte and his pirates.
(IrcGbt: T. 400; a. 2 guns)
The Confederate ironclad gunboat Barrataria was captured by the Army at New Orleans; transferred to the Navy 1 January 1863; outfitted at New Orleans; and with Master F. E. Blanchard in command, reported to the West Gulf Blockading Squadron.
While making a reconnaissance in Lake Maurepas, La. 7 April 1863, Barrataria struck a snag at the mouth of the Amite River. Unable to free herself and under Confederate fire, the gunboat had to be abandoned and burned to prevent capture.
(AVP-33: dp. 1733; l. 310'9"; b. 41'2"; dr. 13'6"; s. 18.2 k.; cpl. 215; a. 1 5"; cl. Barnegat)
Barataria (AVP-33) was launched 2 October 1943 by Lake Washington Shipyards, Houghton, Wash.; sponsored by Mrs. L. J. Stetcher, wife of Captain Stetcher; and commissioned 13 August 1944, Commander G. S. Coleman in command.
Barataria departed Alameda, Calif., 22 November 1944 and steamed to Ulithi Island, Caroline Islands, where on 12 December 1944 she reported to Commander, Aircraft, 7th Fleet. She was assigned to the Philippine Islands and arrived at Lingayen Gul f 9 January 1945 where she serviced and maintained various seaplane squadrons. She
remained in the Philippines until the end of World War ll. Between 2 September and 7 December 1945 she served at seaplane bases in Okinawa; Shanghai, China; and Inchon, Korea.
She arrived at Seattle 29 December 1945 for her pre-inactivation overhaul; went out of commission in reserve at Alameda, Calif., 24 July 1946, and was loaned to the Coast Guard in September 1948.
Barataria received one battle star for her operations during the Lingayen Gulf landing (9-18 January 1945).
The barb is a kingfish of the Atlantic coast.
(SS-220: dp. 1526; l. 311'9"; b. 27'3"; dr. 17'; s. 20.3 k.; cpl. 60; a. 1 4", 10 21" TT.; cl. Gato)
Barb (SS-220) was launched 2 April 1942 by Electric Boat Co., Groton, Conn.; sponsored by Mrs. Charles A. Dunn, wife of Rear Admiral Dunn; commissioned 8 July 1942, Lieutenant Commander J. R. Waterman in command; and reported to the Atlantic Fle et.
Barb's war operations span the period from 20 October 1942 until 2 August 1945, during which time she completed 12 war patrols. During her first patrol she carried out reconnaissance duties prior to, and during, the invasion of North Africa. Ope rating out of Roseneath, Scotland, until July 1943 she conducted her next four patrols against the Axis blockade runners in European waters. Barb's fifth patrol terminated 1 July 1943 and she proceeded to the Submarine Base, New London, Conn., arri ving 24 July.
Following a brief overhaul period at New London, Barb departed for Pearl Harbor where she arrived in September 1943. It was in the Pacific waters that Barb found lucrative hunting and went on to compile one of the outstanding submarine re cords of World War II. During the seven war patrols she conducted between March 1944 and August 1945 Barb is officially credited with sinking 17 enemy vessels totaling 96,628 tons. Included were the escort aircraft carrier Unyo, sunk 16, Sep tember 1944 in 19°18' N., 116°26' E., and a frigate.
The last two war patrols conducted by Barb are deserving Of special mention. Under Commander E:. B. Fluckey she commenced her 11th patrol 19 December 1944. The patrol was conducted in the Formosa Straits and East China Sea off the east coast of China, from Shanghai to Kam Kit. During this patrol, which lasted until 15 February 1946, Barb sank four Japanese merchant ships and numerous enemy small craft. On 22-23 January Barb, displaying the ultimate in skill and daring, penet rated Namkwan Harbor on the China coast and wrought havoc upon a convoy of some 30 enemy ships at anchor. Riding dangerously in shallow waters, Barb launched her torpedoes into the enemy group and then retired at high speed on the surface in a full hour's run through uncharted, heavily mined, and rock-obstructed waters. In recognition of this outstanding patrol, Commander Fluckey was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor and Barb received the Presidential Unit Citation.
Upon completion of her 11th patrol Barb was sent stateside for a yard overhaul and alterations, which included the installation of 5-inch rocket launchers. Returning to the Pacific, she commenced her 12th and final patrol on 8 June. This patrol was conducted in the areas north of Hokkaido and east of Karatuto, Japan. For the first time in submarine warfare Barb successfully employed rockets against the towns of Shari, Shikuka, Kashaiko, and Shiritori. She also bombarded the town of Kaihyo To, with her regular armament, destroying 60 percent of the town. She next landed a party Of crew volunteers who blew up a railroad train. For her outstanding feats during this patrol Barb was awarded the Navy Unit Commendation.
Returning to the United States after the cessation of hostilities, Barb was placed in commission in reserve 9 March 1946 and out of commission in reserve 12 February 1947 at New London, Conn. On 3 December 1951 she was recommissioned and assigne d to the Atlantic Fleet, operating out of Key West, Fla. She was placed out of commission 5 February 1954 and underwent conversion to a Guppy submarine. Recommissioned 3 August 1954, she served with the Atlantic Fleet until 13 December 1954 when she was d ecommissioned and loaned to Italy under the Mutual Defense Assistance Program.
Barb received the Presidential Unit Citation, Navy Unit Commendation, and eight battle stars for her World War II service.
Barbel, a cyrinoid fish, is commonly called a minnow or carp.
(SS-316: dp. 1526; l. 311'9", b. 27'3", dr. 16'10", s. 20.3 k.; cpl. 66, a. 1 5", 10 21" TT., cl. Balao)
Barbel (SS-316) was launched 14 November 1943 by Electric Boat Co., Groton, Conn.; sponsored by Mrs. Harold A. Allen, and commissioned 3 April 1944, Commander R. A. Keating in command.
Barbel arrived at Pearl Harbor 21 June 1944 and commenced preparation for her first war patrol. Between 15 July 1944 and 4 February 1945 she carried out four war patrols and is officially credited with sinking six Japanese ships totaling 15,263 tons.
Barbel departed Fremantle, Australia, 5 January 1946 for the South China Sea on her fourth patrol. Late in January she was ordered to form a wolf-pack with Perch (SS-313) and Gabilan (SS-252) and patrol the western approaches to Ba labac Strait and the southern entrance to Palawan Passage. On 3 February Barbel Bent a message reporting that she had been attacked three times by enemy aircraft dropping depth charges and would transmit further information on the following night. Barbel was never heard from again. Japanese aviators reported an attack on a submarine off southwest Palawan 4 February. Two bombs were dropped and one landed on the submarine near the bridge. The sub plunged, under a cloud of fire and spray. This was very likely the last engagement of Barbel. She was officially reported lost 16 February 1945.
Barbel received three battle stars for her World War II service.
The three Barber brothers, Malcolm, Randolph, and Leroy, enlisted in the Navy in 1940 and perished at their battle stations when Oklahoma (BB-37) sank at Pearl Harbor 7 December 1941.
(DE-161: dp. 1400; l. 306', b. 36'10"; dr. 13'6" a. 24 k.; cpl. 186; a. 3 3", 3 21" TT.; cl. Buckley)
Barber (DE-161) was launched 20 May 1943 by Norfolk Navy Yard; sponsored by Mrs. Peter Barber, mother of the Barber brothers, commissioned 10 October 1943 Lieutenant E. T. B. Sullivan in command, and reported to the Atlantic Fleet.
Between December 1943 and October 1944 Barber escorted convoys in the Atlantic, completing three trans-Atlantic crossings to North Africa. For a brief, but rewarding, period (24 March-11 May 1944) she served as a unit of hunter-killer TG 21.15 ( Croatan Group). On 26 April Barber joined Frost (DE-144), Huse (DE-145), and Snowden (DE-246) to sink the German submarine U-488 in 17°54' N., 38°05' W.
On 9 October 1944 Barber entered Philadelphia Navy Yard for conversion to a high speed transport. Her designation was changed to APD-57, 23 October 1944. Upon completion of her reconstruction she remained on the east coast for a short period of time and then proceeded to the Pacific, arriving at Pearl Harbor 26 March 1945. On 30 April she arrived at Ulithi, Caroline Islands, and then departed 5 May as a convoy escort to support the invasion of Okinawa. She remained at Okinawa on patrol until 4 J uly.
Between July and November 1945 she performed the duties of a convoy escort and patrol vessel throughout the islands of the Western Pacific and Japan. Departing the Far East 21 November, Barber steamed to the east coast of the United States for p re-inactivation overhaul. She was placed out of commission in reserve at Green Cove Springs, Fla., 22 May 1946.
Barber received three battle stars for her World War II service.
The barbero is one of a family of ashes commonly called surgeon-fish.
(SS-317: dp. 1526; l. 311'9", b. 27'3"; dr. 16'10"; s. 20.3 k.; cpl. 66; a. 1 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Balao)
Barbero (SS-317) was launched 12 December 1943 by Electric Boat Co., Groton, Conn.; sponsored by Mrs. Katherine R. Keating, and commissioned 29 April 1944, Lieutenant Commander I. S. Hartman in command.
Barbero's war operations span the period from 9 August 1944 until 2 January 1945, during which time she completed two war patrols. She is officially credited with sinking three Japanese merchant ships totaling 9126 tons while patrolling in the J ava and South China Seas.
On 27 December 1944, enroute to Fremantle, Australia, Barbero, while at periscope depth, received an aerial bomb close aboard aft. This near miss damaged the port reduction gear and put Barbero out of action for the remainder of the war.
In September 1945 she was ordered to Mare Island Navy Yard where she underwent pre-inactivation overhaul and was placed in commission in reserve 25 April 1946.
Following conversion to a cargo submarine (reclassified SSA-317, 31 March 1948) at Mare Island, Barbero was recommissioned 26 July 1948 and assigned to the Pacific Fleet. Between October 1948 and March 1950 she took part in an experimental progr am to evaluate her capabilities as a cargo carrier. Experimentation was discontinued in early 1950 and she went out of commission in reserve 30 June 1950.
On 1 February 1955 Barbero entered Mare Island Naval Shipyard for her second conversion. Her designation was changed to SSG-317 (Guided Missile Submarine) 25 October 1955 and she was recommissioned 28 October 1955. She operated off the coast of California until April 1956 when she transited the Panama Canal and joined the Atlantic Fleet.
Barbero received two battle stars for her World War II service.
Barbet is a tropical bird.
(AMc-38: dp. 205; l. 97'6"; b. 22'6"; dr. 9'; s. 10 k.; cpl. 17; a. 2 .50 cal. m. g.; cl. Accentor)
The first Barbet (AMc-38) was launched 24 July 1941 by W. A. Robinson, Inc., Ipswich, Mass., sponsored by Mrs. E. Robinson; and commissioned 29 September 1941, Ensign S. T. Hotchkiss in command.
In early October Barbet arrived at the Naval Mine Warfare School, Yorktown, Va., and later went to the Naval Operating Base, Norfolk, for further out fitting she joined Mine Division 27, based at New London, Conn., 4 December 1941 and after the United States entered World War II, engaged in sweeping and patrolling off the New England coast. In February 1942 while at the Naval Operating Base, Newport, Barbet was damaged in a collision with an Eagle Boat. Following repairs at the Marine Bas in Co., Brooklyn, N. Y., she departed for Miami, arriving 28 March.
On 10 April 1942 Barbet joined the 15th Naval District Inshore Patrol, Atlantic Section, at Cristobal, C. Z. On 5 May she transited the Canal to Balboa and joined the Inshore Patrol, Pacific Section, conducting two ship sweeping operations, laun ching and recovering her gear and patrolling in the sea channels. On 16 May 1942 Barbet was decommissioned and placed "in service." She was sold by the Maritime Commission 13 August 1947.
YMS-45 (q. v.) was reclassified AMS-41 and renamed Barbet 19 August 1947.
Barbican is an outer defensive work of a city or castle.
(ACM-5: dp. 880; l. 188'2"; b. 37'; dr. 12'6"; s. 12.6 k.; cpl. 69; a. 1 40 mm.; cl. Chimo)
Barbican (ACM-5) was built in 1942, by Marietta Manufacturing Co., Point Pleasant, W. Va., as Colonel George Armistead for the Army Coast Artillery Corps; transferred to the Navy 6 January 1945; converted to an auxiliary minelayer at Charleston Navy Yard; commissioned 24 March 1945, Lieutenant Commander A. Anderson, Jr., in command, and reported to the Pacific Fleet.
Barbican arrived in the Pacific too late to participate actively in combat against the Japanese. Departing Pearl Harbor 17 August, she arrived at Saipan 20 September 1945 after a brief stop at Midway. For one month she operated between the Maria nas and Ryukyu Islands, as a tender and operational headquarters for a YMS squadron. On 24 October she departed Okinawa for Sasebo, Japan. Barbican remained on occupation duty in the Far East until 24 February 1946 when she departed for the United States. Barbican was decommissioned 12 June 1946 and loaned to the Coast Guard the same day.
Baretta is a tree.
(AN-41: dp. 1100; l. 194'7"; b. 37'; dr. 13'6"; s. 12.1 k.; cpl. 56; a. 1 3"; cl. Ailanthus)
Baretta (AN-41) was launched 9 October 1943 by Everett-Pacific Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Everett, Wash., as YN-60; sponsored by Miss Evelyn Jaramo; renamed Baretta and reclassified AN-41, 20 January 1944; and commissioned 18 M arch 1944, Lieutenant Commander R. L. Collins in command.
Operating out of Pearl Harbor, Baretta laid and repaired moorings and anti-submarine nets until 8 August 1944. Departing Pearl Harbor she sailed to Guadalcanal to prepare for the coming invasion of the western Caroline Islands. Arriving off the beaches of Angaur, Palau Islands, 20 September 1944, Baretta tended nets and moorings until 11 January 1945. On 4 October 1944 she rescued 11 survivors from the stricken LCT-579 which had struck a mine.
Between 11 January and 8 September 1945 Baretta tended nets at Ulithi, Caroline Islands; Eniwetok Atoll, Marshall Islands, Pearl Harbor, Guam, Marianas Islands; and Okinawa. She then steamed to Japan to assist in the occupation. Upon her return to the United States she underwent pre-inactivation overhaul at Mare Island Navy Yard, was decommissioned 4 April 1946 and transferred to the Maritime Commission 24 January 1947.
Baretta received one battle star for her service during the western Caroline Islands operation.
Born in Hanson, Mass., 31 March 1845, Albert S. Barker graduated from the Academy in 1862. He served in Mississippi, Monongahela, and Niagara during the
Civil War. During the Spanish-American War he commanded Newark and participated in the bombardment of Santiago 1 July 1898. He was Commander-in-Chief of the Atlantic Fleet 1903-05. Rear Admiral Barker died 30 January 1916 at Washington, D. C. P>
(DD-213: dp. 1215; l. 314'4"; b. 31'8"; dr. 9'10"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 132; a. 4 4", 1 3", 12 21" TT.; cl. Clemson)
Barker (DD-213) was launched 11 September 1919 by William Cramp and Sons Ship and Engine Building Co., Philadelphia, Pa.; sponsored by Mrs. Albert S. Barker, widow of Admiral Barker; and commissioned 27 December 1919, Lieutenant Commander C. C. Windsor in command.
In June Barker sailed to the Middle East to join Division 35, U. S. Naval Detachment, Turkish Waters. She served for several months with the American Relief of Armenia and visited several ports in Turkey and the Middle East before sailing eastwa rd late in 1921, to the Orient to commence her four-year tour of duty with the Asiatic Fleet.
Barker cruised in Philippine and Asiatic waters until departing Manila in May 1925. She served during the next two years with the Scouting Force on the east coast and patrolled off Nicaragua, 10-31 January 1927, during the second campaign there. Thereafter, she served a two-year tour with U. S. Naval Forces, Europe, and carried out several goodwill visits to many European ports.
Subsequent to August 1929, Barker was permanently on the Asiatic Station and operated with the destroyer divisions of the Asiatic Fleet. During periods of disturbance in China she was engaged in protecting American interests.
At the beginning of 1941 she was attached to the 57th Division, 29th Squadron, and later operated under Commander, TF 5 in the Philippines. On 7 December 1941 Barker was at Tarakan, Borneo, and upon receipt of the news of the Pearl Harbor attack , immediately commenced patrolling the surrounding area. During the remainder of December and throughout January 1942 she patrolled and escorted convoys in the Netherlands East Indies. During February Barker took part in the abortive attempts to st em the Japanese advance into the Dutch East Indies. She participated in the anti-aircraft actions off Bali (4 February 1942) and Banka Island (15 February) Barker was badly shaken by near misses during the 15 February action and required emergency repairs. She retired to Exmouth Gulf, Australia arriving 19 February for repair and overhaul.
Between March and May 1942 Barker operated out of Fremantle, Australia, on patrol and escort duty. She then sailed to Tonga Island where she arrived 24 May. Remaining there until 29 June, she then proceeded to Pearl Harbor, via Samoa and New Cal edonia. In August she proceeded to Mare Island Navy Yard where she underwent overhaul. Between October 1942 and May 1943 Barker escorted convoys between San Francisco and Pearl Harbor.
She departed San Diego 23 May 1943 for the east coast arriving at Casco Bay, Maine, 2 June. On 27 June as a member of the hunter-killer TO 21.12 (Core Group), she departed New York to search for enemy submarines in the Atlantic. When the German submarine U-487 was sunk by aircraft from Core (CVE-13), 13 July, Barker rescued 33 survivors. Returning to New York 1 August, Barker departed with the Group on another anti-submarine sweep 16 August. On 24 August Core's aircraft found and sank the German submarines U-84 and U-185. Barker rescued 36 survivors of U-185.
Between 16 September 1943 and 1 October 1944 Barker made two trans-Atlantic convoy escort crossings to England and four to North Africa. The remainder of Barker's active service was performed as a convoy escort in the Caribbean, to Newfou ndland, and along the eastern seaboard of the United States. She arrived at Philadelphia 4 June 1945; was decommissioned 18 July, and sold 30 November 1945.
Barker received two battle stars for her participation in World War II.
Barnegat is a bay in New Jersey.
(AT: dp. 900; l. 138'9"; b. 27'; dr. 16'; s. 11.7 k., cpl. 40 ; a. 1 3")
The first Barnegat (SP-1232) was built in 1898 by John H. Dialogue, Camden, N. J., as Luckenbach No. 1; purchased in 1917; delivered to the Navy 12 October 1917; and commissioned the same day, Lieutenant (Junior grade ) P. Farley, USNR, in command.
On 20 December 1917 Barnegat sailed in convoy from Philadelphia and arrived at Brest, France, 23 April 1918. She was assigned to Division 9, Patrol Force, and carried out patrol and towing operations in the vicinity of Brest until departing for the United States late in September 1919. Sailing in October she arrived at Norfolk 28 November 1919 and was assigned to the 5th Naval District until transferred to the 4th Naval District 23 January 1920. She remained on duty there until 20 August 1920 wh en she was decommissioned and transferred to the War Department.
(AVP-10: dp. 1766; l. 311'8"; b. 41'1"; dr. 13'6"; s. 18.6 k.; cpl. 215; a. 1 5"; cl. Barnegat)
The second Barnegat (AVP-10) was launched 23 May 1941 by Puget Sound Navy Yard; sponsored by Mrs. Lucien S. Kimball, wife of Captain Kimball; and commissioned 3 July 1941, Commander F. T. Baker in command.
After a fitting-out and shakedown period which lasted several months, Barnegat departed for Iceland 5 May 1942 carrying personnel and equipment of Patrol Squadron 73. She remained in Icelandic waters performing important supply, salvage, and pat rol duties until 24 October.
On 25 October 1942 she departed Iceland for French Morocco, where she arrived 7 November. The following day she provided fire support during the landings at Mehedia. After the port of Mehedia was secured, Barnegat proceeded up the Wadi Sebu and spent 12 November-10 December establishing the Naval Air Station at Port Eyeutey, French Morocco. She departed Port Lysutey 11 December and returned to the United States.
Between January and July 1943 she shuttled supplies between Boston and Iceland, conducting training exercises enroute. On 15 June 1943 she departed for Natal, Brazil, where she was assigned patrol and escort duties, as well as serving as tender for pat rol planes in the area. During this tour of duty she rescued many allied and enemy seamen, victims of both submarine and anti-submarine warfare.
She departed Natal 12 May 1944 for overhaul at Boston. Between 21 July 1944 and 5 February 1945 she carried troops and supplies from the United States to Europe. In February 1945 she sailed to the Panama Canal Zone and, until December 1945, served as a unit of Fleet Air Wing 3, acting as a tender and transport. Much of her time was spent in the Galapagos Islands where she supplied the advanced air base and tended patrol bombers.
In December 1945 she departed the Canal Zone and proceeded to Orange, Tex., where she commenced pre-inactivation overhaul 15 January 1946 and went out of commission in reserve 17 May 1946.
Barnegat received one battle star for her participation in the North African landings.
Barnes is a sound in Florida.
(CVE-7: dp. 7800; l. 495'8"; b. 111'6"; dr. 26'; s. 18 k.; cpl. 890; a. 2 5"; cl. Bogue)
Barnes (CVE-7) was built by Western Pipe and Steel Co., San Francisco, Calif. She was commissioned 30 September 1942 and transferred to the United Kingdom, under Lend-Lease, on the same day, as HMS Attacker. The vessel was returned to Uni ted States' custody 5 January 1946 and sold 28 October 1946.
(ACV-20: dp. 7800; l. 495'8"; b. 111'6"; dr. 26'; s. 17.6 k.; cpl. 890; a. 2 5"; cl. Bogue)
Laid down under a Maritime Commission contract, the second Barnes (ACV-20) was transferred to the Navy 1 May 1942; launched 22 May 1942 by Seattle-Tacoma Shipbuilding Corp., Tacoma, Wash.; sponsored by Mrs. G. L. Hutchinson, widow of Lieutenant Hutchinson; and Commissioned 20 February 1943, Captain C. D. Glover in command. Originally classified AVG-20, she was reclassified ACV-20, 20 August 1942; CVE-20, 15 July 1943; and CVHE-20, 12 June 1955.
The major task of Barnes throughout World War II was the transporting of aircraft and personnel from the United States to the forward areas of the Pacific. In addition she served as a combat, training, and pilot qualifying carrier.
While performing these duties she launched her planes on several raids against Tarawa in the Gilbert Islands operation (20 November-5 December 1943); and provided invaluable aircraft replenishment to the various task groups of the 3rd Fleet during the western Caroline Islands operation (6 September-14 October 1944), and the Luzon attacks (19 October 1944).
After Japan's surrender, Barnes remained in the Far East on occupation duty until 3 November 1945. Returning to the United States in March 1946 Barnes remained on the west coast for a period of time and then steamed to Boston, where she w as placed out of commission in reserve 29 August 1946.
Barnes was awarded three battle stars for her service during World War II.
Barnes, Doyle C. (DE-353) see Doyle O. Barnes (DE-353)
Barnes, Robert L. (AO-14) see Robert L. Barnes (AO-14)
Born in Lancaster, Wis., 9 September 1859, George Barnett graduated from the Academy in 1881. He served in the Spanish-American War as commanding officer of the Marine detachment on board New Orleans and in September 1902 assumed command of a battalion of Marines sent to Panama to protect the railroad across the Isthmus. He commanded a battalion in the Cuban Army of Pacification. Appointed Commandant of the Marine Corps 25 February 1914, he guided the Corps through its rapid expansion and demobilization during and after World War I. Major General Barnett died 27 April 1930 and was buried at Arlington National Cemetery.
A small tug purchased in 1918 and later reclassified YT-29 was known as Barnett.
(AP-11: dp. 9432; l. 486'6"; b. 63'9"; dr. 25'4"; a. 15 k.; cpl. 491; a. 1 5", 4 3"; cl. Barnett)
Barnett (AP-11) was launched in 1928 as the passenger steamer Santa Maria by Furness Shipbuilding Co., Ltd., Haverton-on-Tees, England, purchased by the Navy 9 August 1940; and commissioned 25 September 1940, Captain L. S. Pamper in in command. From 25 September 1940 until the end of the year, Barnett was engaged in training Marines in the Culebra-Vieques Islands area. In January 1941 she returned to Norfolk for an overhaul which was completed 3 April 1941. Between April a nd December 1941 she again participated in amphibious and gunnery exercises with Marines. During World War II Barnett alternately operated in the Atlantic and Pacific, constantly engaged in the transport of troops, casualties, and occasionally ca rgo. She furnished logistic support during the following major operations: Guadalcanal-Tulagi landings (7-9 August 1942); capture and defense of Guadalcanal (9 August-28 November); Sicilian occupation (10 15 July 1943); Salerno landings (9-21 September) , invasion of Normandy (6-19 June 1944) invasion of southern France (15 August-25 September); and the assault and occupation of Okinawa (1-9 April 1945). She was reclassified APA-5, 1 February 1943.
During a bombing attack off the coast of Sicily on 11 July 1943, a bomb burst close aboard Barnett's port bow abreast of the forward hatch putting a hole in the hull and causing subsequent flooding. The ship was made to list to starboard to brin g the hole above the water line. Seven men were killed and 35 injured, all were Army personnel. Barnett steamed under her own power to Algiers, Algeria, for repairs, arriving 15 July.
She operated in the Pacific until 26 September 1945 when she returned to the United States. She was decommissioned 21 May 1946 at Newport, R. I., and transferred to the Maritime Commission 3 July 1946.
Barnett received seven battle stars for her World War II service.
Born in Baltimore, Md., 6 July 1759, Joshua Barney went to sea at an early age. During the Revolutionary War he served in Hornet and Wasp and was promoted to lieutenant and awarded a medal by Congress for gallantry in action. Owing to a d isagreement as to precedence he declined a commission in the United States Navy in 1794 and served in the French Navy from 1797 to 1800. At the outbreak of the War of 1812 he entered the United States Navy as a Captain and commanded a fleet of gunboats de fending Chesapeake Bay. Commodore Barney died at Pittsburgh, Pa., 1 December 1818 and is buried at Allegheny Cemetery, Pittsburgh.
(TB-25: dp. 167; l. 157'; b. 17'8"; dr. 4'11"; s. 29 k.; cpl. 29; a. 3 1-pdr., 3 18" TT.; cl. Bagley)
The first Barney (Torpedo Boat No. 25) was launched 28 July 1900 by Bath Iron Works, Ltd., Bath, Maine; sponsored by Miss Esther Nicholson Barney, great-granddaughter of Commodore Barney; and commissioned 21 October 1901, Ensign C. A. Abe le in command.
Barney sailed from Newport 6 November 1901 for Port Royal, S. C., where she went into reserve. In 1902 she was assigned to the North Atlantic Station and cruised along the east coast and in the West Indies until 1903 when she proceeded to Norfol k and went into reserve 19 February 1903. Between 1903 and 1908 Barney was attached to the Reserve Torpedo Flotilla at Norfolk.
On 1 July 1908 Barney was placed in full commission and assigned to the 3d Torpedo Flotilla. In December 1908 she was again assigned to the Reserve Torpedo
Flotilla and until March 1914 was based successively at Norfolk, Charleston and Annapolis. She was placed in ordinary at Annapolis 13 March 1914. On 10 June 1916 she was ordered to temporary duty with the District of Columbia Naval Militia and made tra ining cruises in the Potomac River until 1 September 1915. She then returned to the Reserve Torpedo Division at Annapolis. On 28 February 1916 Barney was ordered to Philadelphia Navy Yard where she was placed in ordinary 9 March and out of commissi on 21 November 1916.
In May 1917 she was towed to Charleston Navy Yard and after undergoing repairs, she was recommissioned 1 September 1917. She proceeded to Norfolk where she patrolled in and around Hampton Roads and outer Chesapeake Bay. Barney was renamed Coa st Torpedo Boat No. 11 1 August 1918. On 17 January 1919 she returned to Philadelphia, went out of commission 11 March 1919 and was sold 19 July 1920.
(DD-149: dp. 1154; l. 314'4"; b. 31'8"; dr. 9'; s. 35 k.; cpl. 133; a. 4 4", 2 3", 12 21" TT.; cl. Wickes)
The second Barney (DD-149) was launched 5 September 1918 by William Cramp and Sons Ship and Engine Building Co., Philadelphia, Pa., sponsored by Miss Nannie Dornin Barney, great-granddaughter of Commodore Barney, and commissioned 14 March 1919, Lieutenant Commander J. L. Kauffman in command.
Barney reported to Division 19, Atlantic Fleet, and engaged in fleet exercises and maneuvers along the east coast until 30 June 1922, when she went out of commission at Philadelphia. Recommissioned 1 May 1930, Barney operated with Destroyer Squadron, S couting Force, on the east coast and in the Caribbean until transiting the Panama Canal in February 1932 to participate in fleet problems off San Francisco. Remaining on the west coast, she operated for a time in reduced commission with Rotating Destroyer Squadron 20, Scouting Force. In 1935 she cruised with Destroyer Division 3 to Alaska, thence to Honolulu, and later to the Puget Sound area for fleet problems.
Returning to the east coast she conducted cruises with the 10th Training Squadron until November 1936 when she was placed out of commission. Recommissioned 4 October 1939, she served on patrol duty with the 66th Division, Atlantic Squadron, and during the following year with the Inshore Patrol, 15th Naval District Defense Force.
Between December 1941 and November 1943 Barney was assigned to the Caribbean area, escorting convoys between Trinidad British West Indies, and Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. On i8 September 1942 she had a collision with Greer (DD-145), resulting in sever e damage and the loss of two of her crew by drowning. Both ships returned to Willemstad, Curacao, Netherlands West Indies, where temporary repairs were made and then Barney departed for Charleston Navy Yard. Permanent repairs completed in December 1942, she returned to the Caribbean.
During 14 January-11 May 1944 Barney completed two convoy escort crossings to North Africa. From May 1944 until February 1945 she escorted convoys in the Caribbean. In March 1945 she was assigned to TF 25 and engaged in training exercises with s ubmarines in Long Island and Block Island Sounds. On 30 June 1945 her classification was changed to AG-113. Barney was decommissioned 30 November 1945 and sold 13 October 1946.
Barney received one battle star for her escort of Convoy UGS-37 (11-12 April 1944).
(APA-93: dp. 8591 ; l. 492', b. 69'6"; dr. 26'6"; s. 18.4 k. cpl. 478; a. 2 5"; cl. Alpine)
Barnstable (APA-93) was launched 5 August 1943 by Western Pipe and Steel Co., Los Angeles, Calif., under a Maritime Commission contract as Sea Snapper; sponsored by Miss Jean Watts; acquired on a loan charter by the Navy 30 October 1943, and commissioned the same day. Placed out of commission 3 November 1943, Barnstable was outfitted as an APA by Commercial Iron Works, Portland, Oreg., and recommissioned 22 May 1944, Captain T. M. Stokes in command.
Barnstable arrived at Pearl Harbor 30 July 1944 and joined Transport Division 32. Embarking troops and cargo she sailed to Guadalcanal for landing exercises 24 August-8 September, in preparation for the assault on the Palau Islands. Arriving at Peleliu, Palau Islands, 15 September, Barnstable remained there until 21 September, and then took part in the occupation of Ulithi Atoll, Caroline Islands (23-25 September 1944).
Returning to Manus, Admiralty Islands, Barnstable loaded troops and cargo and arrived in Leyte Gulf 20 October 1944. She debarked troops for the assault waves and continued unloading cargo throughout the day. On the 21st she departed, arriving a t the Palau Islands 23 October.
Barnstable transported troops and cargo between New Caledonia and the Admiralty Islands and then returned to Leyte, where she landed reinforcements (19-29 November 1944). Returning to New Guinea, she remained there until embarking troops and car go for the landings at Lingayen Gulf, Luzon. She arrived 9 January and the following day landed her troops and cargo. She made several trips to the Philippines with reinforcements and then participated in the initial Okinawa landings (1-5 April).
Barnstable returned to the west coast in April 1946. After undergoing repairs, replacements were embarked and she returned to Manila. From Manila she made logistic runs to New Guinea. Upon the cessation of hostilities Barnstable participa ted in the occupation of Japan (12-26 October 1945), making two runs from the Philippine Islands to Japan transporting Army troops.
She returned to California 17 November 1945 and operated along the west coast until January 1946. In February she arrived on the east coast and commenced pre-inactivation overhaul. She was decommissioned 25 March 1946 and returned to the Maritime Commi ssion the following day.
Barnstable received four battle stars for her World War II service.
Barnwell is a county in South Carolina.
(APA-132: dp. 6720; l. 456'; b. 62'; dr. 24'; a. 17.7 k.; cpl. 692; a. 1 5"; cl. Haskell)
Barnwell (APA-132) was launched 30 September 1944 by California Shipbuilding Corp., Wilmington, Calif., under a Maritime commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. M. L. Rhodes; transferred to the Navy 19 January 1946; and commissioned the same day, Captain M. M. Stephens in command.
In March 1945 Barnwell loaded cargo and embarked troops at San Diego and departed for Pearl Harbor arriving 29 March. Between April and June she participated in amphibious training maneuvers in the Hawaiian area and transported cargo and troops to Eniwetok, Marshall Islands; Guam and Saipan, Marianas Islands; Ulithi, Caroline Islands; and San Pedro Bay, Leyte. On 12 June she left the Philippine Islands for San Francisco, carry Navy and Marine personnel back to the mainland for rehabilitation and rotation.
On 14 July Barnwell departed San Francisco with Navy, Marine, and Coast Guard personnel, as well as mail and classified matter, which she disembarked in the Philippine and Admiralty Islands. During August and September she transported a Seabee b attalion from New Caledonia and the New Hebrides to Sasebo, Japan, for occupation duty. In October she delivered Army personnel and cargo to Hiro Wan, Honshu, Japan, from the Philippines. Late
in October Barnwell was ordered to "Magic Carpet" duty and sailed to Guam where she embarked nearly 2,000 officers and enlisted men and proceeded to Seattle, Wash., arriving 12 November 1946.
Barnwell was assigned to coastwise personnel transportation duty and operated on the west coast until 15 January 1946 when she was released and ordered to proceed to Norfolk to be placed in reserve. Barnwell was placed out of commission i n reserve there 1 February 1947.
Lieutenant Commander Richard S. Baron was killed 15 March 1942 during the bombing of Cebu City, Philippine Islands. Prior to his death, he had received the Navy Cross for risking his life to recover classified documents during the bombardment of Cavite , Philippines.
(DE-166: dp. 1240; l. 806'; b. 86'8"; dr. 11'8"; s. 21 k.; cpl. 186; a. 3 3", 8 21" TT.; cl. Cannon)
Baron (DE-166) was launched 9 May 1943 by Federal Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Newark, N. J., sponsored by Mrs. Anne P. Baron, widow of Lieutenant Commander Baron; and commissioned 6 July 1948, Lieutenant Commander D. McVicker, USNR, in comman d.
Baron departed New York 8 September 1948 for the Pacific. Between October 1948 and August 1944 she escorted convoys among the Island groups of the South Central Pacific. She also acted as a screen and fire-support ship during the following opera tions: Hollandia landings (21-24 April 1944); Truk-Satawan-Ponape raid (29 April-1 May); Saipan invasion (20 June-11 July); and capture of Guam (22-29 July). On 7 September 1944 she arrived at Mare Island Navy Yard for an overhaul.
Returning to the Pacific early In November 1944, Baron reported to Commander, Submarine Training, Pacific. Until the end of May 1946 she conducted training exercises with friendly submarines off Pearl Harbor and Guam. For the remainder of the wa r she operated in the vicinity of the Marshall Islands engaged in hunter-killer air-sea rescue, patrol, and escort duties.
On 27 August 1945 Baron was ordered to Maloelap, Wotje, and Jaluit Atolls for the surrender of their Japanese garrisons. The surrender was completed by 6 September and Baron remained at Wotje Atoll until 18 September supervising the disar mament of the Japanese fortifications. She then steamed to San Diego, arriving 29 September. Departing the next day, she proceeded to New York, where she arrived 14 October.
Baron went out of commission in reserve 26 April 1946 at Green Cove Springs, Fla., and was transferred to Uruguay under the Mutual Defense Assistance Program 8 May 1962.
Baron received three battle stars for her World War II service in the Pacific.
Baron De Kalb
John Baron De Kalb was born in Huettendorf, Bavaria, 29 June 1721. He accompanied Lafayette to America in 1777 and was appointed a Major General in the Continental Army. He was mortally wounded leading Maryland and Delaware troops in the Battle of Camd en (16 August 1780) and died three days later. He is buried at Camden, N. J.
(StwGbt: T. 512; l. 175'; b. 51'2";, dr. 6'; s. 9 mph.; cpl. 251; a. 2 8" S. B., 4 42-pdr. R., 7 32-pdr. S. B.; cl. Cairo)
St. Louis, stern wheel casemate gunboat was built by James B. Eads, Carondelet, Mo., for the War Department. She was launched as St. Louis 12 October 1861 and joined the Western Gunboat Fleet.
During 1862 St. Louis, under the command of Lieutenant L. Paulding, was attached to Rear Admiral A. H. Foote's squadron and participated in the capture of Fort Henry on the Tennessee River (6 February 1862). She served as flagship for the squadron when it assisted the Union Army at the capture of Fort Donelson on the Cumberland River (14-16 February 1862). Between April and June 1862, she operated against Fort Pillow, Tenn. St. Louis was renamed Baron De Kalb 8 September 1862. On 1 October 1862 Baron De Kalb was transferred to the Navy Department. During 21-28 December she took part in the Yazoo Expedition and participated in the action at Drumgould's Bluff (28 December).
During 1868 Baron De Kalb took part in the capture of Arkansas Post (10-11 January); expedition up the White River (12-14 January); capture of the battery at Duvall's Bluff (16 January); Yazoo Pass Expedition (20 February-5 April); action at Fort Pemberton (11-18 March); action at Haines' Bluff (29 April-2 May, 18 May); action at Yazoo City, Miss. (20-23 May); and the Yazoo River Expedition (24-31 May). On 13 July 1863 Baron De Kalb was sunk by a torpedo in the Yazoo River, one mile below Yazoo City, Miss.
Born in Keyser, W. Va., 80 June 1918, Woodrow Wilson Barr enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1942. Private First Class Barr was killed in action at Tulagi, Solomon Islands, 7 August 1942.
(DE-676: dp. 1400; l. 306'; b. 37'; dr. 13'6"; s. 24 k.; cpl. 186; a. 3 3"; cl. Buckley)
Barr (DE-676) was launched 28 December 1948 by Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyards, Inc., Hingham, Mass.; sponsored by Mrs. Cora Dell Barr, mother of Private First Class Barr; and commissioned 16 February 1944, Lieutenant Commander H. H. Love, USNR, in command.
On 22 April 1944 Barr sailed from Norfolk and joined TG 21.11 (Block Island group) in anti-submarine operations off the Cape Verde Islands. On 29 May, while carrying out search operations in the Azores-Gibraltar area, Block Island (CVE-21) was sunk by an enemy submarine and Barr received a torpedo which totally wrecked her stern. She lost four dead, 12 missing, and 14 injured. The following morning the injured and excess personnel were transferred to Eugene E. Elmore (DE-686) and Barr was towed by that vessel, Wilhoite (DE-397), and the Netherlands tug Antic into Casablanca, arriving 6 June.
After undergoing preliminary repairs at Casablanca, Barr was towed to the United States by Cherokee (ATF-66), arriving at Boston 25 July. The vessel entered dry dock at Boston Navy Yard, was converted into an auxiliary high speed transpor t, and reclassified APD-39, 31 July 1944. In November 1944 Barr proceeded to San Francisco escorting Teton (AGC-14) and then continued on to Pearl Harbor to join the Amphibious Forces Pacific Fleet. On 10 January 1945, after intensive traini ng exercises with underwater demolition teams, Barr sailed from Pearl Harbor and arrived off the southern end of Iwo Jima 16 February. She remained there until 4 March supporting Underwater Demolition Team 13 and performing patrol and screening dut y.
On 21 March 1945 Barr, carrying Underwater Demolition Team 13, got underway for the invasion of Okinawa. She continued to operate in the Okinawa-Saipan-Philippine area, performing patrol duty and escorting convoys, until August when she sailed f or Japan as a part of the occupation force.
Barr arrived in Tokyo Bay 30 August and helped with the evacuation of Allied prisoners of war from the central Honshu area until 20 September. During October and November she served as barracks and service ship at Nagasaki for the United States Strategic Bombing Survey. On 1 December 1945 Barr departed Tokyo Bay for the United States, arriving at San Diego 19 December. After undergoing repairs, she sailed for the east coast via the
Panama Canal and upon arrival commenced her pre-inactivation overhaul. Barr went out of commission in reserve at Green Cove Springs, Fla., 12 July 1946.
She received three battle stars for her World War II service.
Barracuda is a voracious, pikelike fish.
On 17 November 1911 the still uncommissioned Barracuda (SS-21) was renamed F-2 (q. v.).
SP-845, a 55-foot motorboat of 1917-19, was also known as Barracuda.
(SF-4: dp. 2000; l. 341'6"; b. 27'7"; dr. 15'11"; s. 18.7 k.; cpl. 56; a. 1 5", 6 21" TT.; cl. B)
The first Barracuda (SF-4) was launched as V-1, 17 July 1924 by Portsmouth Navy Yard; sponsored by Mrs. Cornelia Wolcott Snyder, wife of Captain Snyder; and commissioned 1 October 1924, Lieutenant Commander S. Picking in command.
V-1 had been commissioned for surface running only to permit an early trial of her engines. She was assigned to Submarine Division 20 and, after cruising along the New England coast, sailed 14 January 1925 on a surface cruise of the Caribbean, r eturning in May 1925 for completion. V-1 cruised along the Atlantic coast and in the Caribbean until November 1927.
On 8 November 1927 Squadron 20 left Portsmouth, N. H., for San Diego, arriving 3 December. Between December 1927 and May 1932 V-1 served with the Squadron on routine operations with the fleet along the west coast, in the Hawaiian Islands, and in the Caribbean. Her name was changed to Barracuda 9 March 1931 and her designation to SS-163, 1 July 1931. In May 1932 she went into Rotating Reserve with Submarine Division 15 at Mare Island. In January 1933 Barracuda was assigned to Submar ine Division 12 and, until late in 1936, operated along the west coast and cruised to Pearl Harbor and the Canal Zone with the fleet. On 28 October 1936 she left San Diego for the Caribbean where she took part in the Gravimetric Survey Expedition. On 8 Ja nuary 1937 Barracuda sailed from St. Thomas, V. I., and arrived at Philadelphia 14 January, where she remained until placed out of commission 14 May 1937.
Barracuda was recommissioned at Portsmouth, N. H. 5 September 1940 and assigned to Submarine Division 9. She sailed from Portsmouth 2 March 1941 to Bermuda; returned in June; and joined Submarine Division 71. She remained in the New England area until sailing from New London 17 November 1941 to join the Pacific Fleet. She attended to duty in the Pacific Patrol Area until 15 December 1941 when she rejoined the Atlantic Fleet. Between 15 December 1941 and 7 September 1942 Barracuda was atta ched to Submarine Division 31 and completed six war patrols in the Pacific Ocean, southwest of Panama, without enemy contacts.
Barracuda returned to Coco Solo, C. Z., 7 September 1942 and, following voyage repairs, she proceeded to Philadelphia for overhaul. Following overhaul she was based at New London until February 1945 with Submarine Divisions 13 and 31. She operat ed on training problems with destroyers, other submarines, and planes in Block Island Sound. Barracuda arrived at Philadelphia Navy Yard 16 February 1945; was decommissioned 3 March 1945; and sold 16 November 1945.
(SSK-1: dp. 765; l. 196'1"; b. 24'7"; dr. 14'5"; s. 13 k.; cpl. 37; cl. Barracuda)
The second Barracuda (SSK-1) was launched 2 March 1951 by Electric Boat Division, General Dynamics Corp., Groton, Conn., as K-1 (SSK-1); sponsored by Mrs. Willis Manning Thomas; and commissioned 10 November 1951, Lieutenant Commander F. A . Andrews in command.
Barracuda joined Submarine Development Group 2 with her home port at New London, Conn. She cruised along the Atlantic coast of the United States and Canada, in the Caribbean, and made a voyage to Greenock and Rothesay, Scotland, in June 1955. On 16 December 1956 her name was changed from K-1 to Barracuda (SSK-1). During intervals between and after these cruises, Barracuda has operated along the eastern seaboard carrying out training and experimental exercises.
Barrataria see Barataria
A barricade is any barrier obstructing passage.
(ACM-3: dp. 880; l. 188'2"; b. 37'; dr. 12'6"; s. 12.5 k.; cpl. 69; a. 1 40 mm.; cl. Chimo)
Barricade (ACM-3), ex-Colonel John Storey, was launched November 1942 by Marietta Manufacturing Co., Point Pleasant, W. Va., for the Army, transferred to the Navy 7 April 1944; and commissioned the same day, Lieutenant C. P. Haber in command.
Barricade departed the east coast 14 May 1944 and arrived at Bizerte, Tunisia, 1 June 1944. Until July 1946 she served as a minesweeper tender at Salerno, Naples, and Anzio, Italy; Toulon, Cannes, and Golfe Juan, France; Oran, Algeria; Palermo, Sicily; and Sardinia. Between 17 August and 16 September 1844 she provided important service in the invasion of southern France.
On 23 June 1945 Barricade arrived at Charleston, S. C., and then proceeded to Jacksonville, Fla., for overhaul (26 June-10 August). She transited the Panama Canal 2 September and proceeded to San Diego. She operated along the coast of California until decommissioned 28 June 1946 and transferred to the Coast Guard.
Barricade received one battle star for her participation in the invasion of southern France.
A barrier is an obstacle.
(AM-150: dp. 630; l. 184'6"; b. 33'; dr. 10'; s. 14.8 k.; cpl. 104; a. 1 3"; cl. Admirable)
Barrier (AMc-127) was reclassified AM-150, 21 February 1942; launched 23 February 1943 by Tampa Shipbuilding Co., Inc., Tampa, Fla., sponsored by Mrs. Eugenie Bradford, wife of Lieutenant L. M. Bradford; and commissioned 10 May 1944, Lieutenant D. T. Ehrmann In command.
In July 1944 Barrier departed the east coast, transited the Panama Canal, and arrived at San Francisco 3 August. Between August 1944 and July 1946 she operated in Alaskan waters on minesweeping, patrol; and escort operations, frequently visiting Kodiak, Dutch Harbor, and Adak. During July 1946 she acted as a training vessel for minesweeping crews of the Russian Navy.
Barrier was decommissioned at Cold Bay, Alaska, 18 July 1945 and the following day was turned over to Russia under the terms of the Lend-Lease Act. Barrier remains in Russian hands and was reclassified MSF-150, 7 February 1955.
Back to the DANFS Online Main Page
Questions, Comments and Feedback
This section of the HG&UW site coordinated and maintained by Andrew Toppan.
Copyright © 1996-2003, Andrew Toppan. All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction, reuse, or distribution without permission is prohibited.