(SS-10: dp. 145; l. 82'5"; b. 12'6" dr. 10'7"; s. 9 k.; cpl. 10; a. 2 18" TT.; cl. B)
B-1 was launched 30 March 1907 by Fore River Shipbuilding Co., Quincy, Mass., as Viper (SS-10) sponsored by Mrs. Lawrence Y. Spear; commissioned 18 October 1907, Lieutenant D. C. gingham in command and reported to the 2d Submarine Flotill a, Atlantic Fleet.
Viper cruised along the Atlantic coast on training and experimental exercises until going into reserve at Charleston Nary Yard 30 November 1909. Recommissioned 15 April 1910 she served with the Atlantic Torpedo Fleet until assigned to the Reserv e Torpedo Group at Charleston Navy Yard 9 May 1911. On 17 November 1911 her name was changed to B-1. In April 1914 B-1 was towed to Norfolk and later loaded on board Hector (AC-7) for transport to the Philippine Islands. Arriving at O longapo, Luzon, 24 March 1915, B-1 was launched from the deck of Hector 15 April 1915 and recommissioned two days later.
B-1 was assigned to the 1st Submarine Division, Torpedo Flotilla, Asiatic Fleet, 19 May 1915 and later served with the 2nd Submarine Division in Manila Bay. On 1 December 1921 B-1 was decommissioned at Cavite, Philippine Islands, and subs equently used as a target.
(SS-11: dp. 145; l. 82'5"; b. 12'6"; dr. 10'7"; s. 9 k.; cpl. 10; a. 2 18" TT.; cl. B)
B-2 was launched 1 September 1906 by Fore River Shipbuilding Co., Quincy, Mass., as Cuttlefish (SS-11); sponsored by Miss Eleanor Gow, daughter of Commander J. L. Gow; commissioned 18 October 1907, Lieutenant E. J. Marquart in command; an d reported to the 2d Submarine Flotilla, Atlantic Fleet.
Cuttlefish operated along the Atlantic coast, running experiments, testing machinery and equipment, and conducting extensive training exercises until going into reserve at Charleston Navy Yard 30 November 1909. Recommissioned 15 April 1910 she s erved with the Atlantic Torpedo Fleet until joining the Reserve Torpedo Group at Charleston Navy Yard 9 May 1911. The boat was re-named B-2, 17 November 1911. B-2 remained in reserve until placed out of commission 4 December 1912. On 6 Decem ber 1912 she was towed to Norfolk and loaded on board Ajax (AC-15) for transfer to the Asiatic Station. Sailing via the Suez Canal, Ajax arrived at Cavite, Philippine Islands, 30 April 1913 and B-2 was launched 12 May. She was recommi ssioned 2 August 1913 and assigned to the Torpedo Flotilla, Asiatic Fleet. She remained on duty in the Philippines until decommissioned at Cavite 12 December 1919. B-2 was subsequently used as a target.
(SS-12: dp. 145; l. 82'5"; b. 12'6"; dr. 10'7"; s. 9 k.; cpl. 10; a. 2 18" TT.; cl. B)
B-3 was launched 30 March 1907 by Fore River Shipbuilding Co., Quincy, Mass., as Tarantula (SS-12); sponsored by Mrs. George S. Radford, wife of Naval Constructor Radford; commissioned 3 December 1907, Lieutenant J. F. Daniels in command; and reported to the Atlantic Fleet.
Tarantula operated along the Atlantic coast with the 1st and 2nd Submarine Flotillas on training and experimental exercises until going into reserve at Charleston Navy Yard 6 November 1909. She was recommissioned 15 April 1910 and served with th e Atlantic Torpedo Fleet until assigned to the Reserve Torpedo Group, Charleston Navy Yard 9 May 1911 and placed out of commission 4 December 1912. On 17 November 1911 Tarantula was renamed B-3. On 6 December 1912, B-3 was towed to No rfolk and loaded on board Ajax (AC-15) for transfer to the Asiatic Station. Arriving at Cavite, Philippine Islands, 30 April 1913, B-3 was launched from Ajax 12 May. She was recommissioned 2 September 1913 an remained in the Philippin es where she served with Submarine Division 4, Torpedo Flotilla, Asiatic Fleet. De-commissioned at Cavite 25 July 1921, B-3 was subsequently used as a target.
B. H. B. Hubbard
B. H. B. Hubbard was a merchant name retained.
(AM: dp. 400; l. 155'; b. 22'; dr. 8'6"; s. 13 k.; cpl. 38; a. 1 3")
B. H. B. Hubbard was built in 1911 by Harlan and Hollingsworth Corp., Wilmington, Del., as a trawler; purchased by the Navy 8 June 1917; and commissioned 1 August 1917, Lieutenant (junior grade) E. S. Husband USNRF, in comma nd.
B. H. B. Hubbard was fitted out as a minesweeper and assigned to the 4th Squadron, Patrol Force. She departed New York 3 October for France, sailing via the Azores. Attached to Patrol Force, European Waters, she swept mines and escorted convoys off the French coast until April 1919. She departed Brest, France, 27 Apr. 1919 to return to the United States but was forced back by bad weather. Transferred to the 4th Patrol Force she served as a cargo vessel in French waters until decommissioned at Brest 18 October 1919. B. H. B. Hubbard was sold 25 October 1919.
Fitz Babbitt was appointed a Midshipman in 1804 and served on board Nautilus, Adams, and President. Lieutenant Babbitt was killed in action on board President during the engagement with HMS Endymion and Pomona on 15 January 1815.
(DD-128: dp. 1211; l. 314'5"; b. 31'8"; dr. 9'4"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 136; a. 4 4", 2 3", 12 21" TT., cl. Tattnall)
Babbitt (DD-128) was launched 30 September 1918 New York Shipbuilding Corp., Camden, N. J.; sponsored by Miss Lucille Burlin; commissioned 24 October 1919,
Commander W. W. Eberle in command; and reported to the Pacific Fleet.
Babbitt served with the Pacific Fleet on maneuvers and exercises until going out of commission at San Diego 15 June 1922. Upon recommissioning 4 April 1930, Babbitt reported to the Pacific Fleet and served along the west coast until Febru ary 1931 when she proceeded to the Atlantic. Between February 1931 and May 1932 she operated with Destroyer Squadron, Scouting Force, along the eastern seaboard, in the West Indies, the Gulf of Mexico, and in the Canal Zone. During May 1932-April 1933 Babbitt served at the Naval Torpedo Station, Newport, and made a cruise to Chile conducting exercises with experimental torpedoes. She was assigned to Rotating Reserve Destroyer Squadron 19 at Norfolk between 25 May and 20 October 1933 and then assume d reduced commission status until January 1935. While in this status she operated with the Training Squadron, Scouting Force, training reserves. For a brief period between January and May 1935 she returned to Rotating Reserve Destroyer Squadron 19.
Placed in full commission 15 May 1935 Babbitt served with the Midshipmen's Coastal Cruise Detachment and then, for two years, with the Special Service Squadron in the Cuban-Puerto Rican area. In April 1939 she participated in the opening of the New York World's Fair. Subsequently she was attached to Destroyer Squadron 27 Patrol Force, on Neutrality Patrol and convoy escort duty along the Atlantic and Caribbean coastlines.
During World War II Babbitt operated as a convoy escort in the waters off Iceland, along the east and gulf coasts of the United States, and in the Caribbean. Between 10 March 1943 and 24 March 1944 she also completed five trans-Atlantic escort c rossings: one to England and four to North Africa.
On 2 February 1945 Babbitt reported to the Underwater Sound Laboratory, New London, Conn., for experimental sonar work. On 10 June 1945 her classification was changed to AG-102. She remained on experimental duty until December 1945 when she ente red New York Navy Yard for pre-inactivation overhaul. Babbitt was decommissioned 25 January 1946 and sold 5 June 1946.
Babbitt received one battle star for the escort of Convoy SC-121.
Born in Washington, D. C., 12 November 1840, George Mifflin Bache graduated from the Academy in 1861. He served in Jamestown, Powhatan, and Cincinnati during the Civil War and was wounded while leading a division of sailors during the assault on Fort Fisher. Following the Civil War he served in Sacramento and commanded Juniata. Commander Bache retired in 1875 and died in Washington, D. C., 11 February 1896.
The Coast and Geodetic Survey steamer Bache served with the Navy 1917-19.
(DD-470: dp. 2050; l. 376'5"; b. 39'7"; dr. 17'9"; s. 35.2 k.; cpl. 329; a. 5 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Fletcher)
Bache (DD-470) was launched 7 July 1942 by Bethlehem Steel Co., Staten Island, N. Y.; sponsored by Miss Louise Bache, daughter of Commander Bache, and commissioned 14 November 1942, Commander J. N. Opie, III, in command.
Reporting to the Atlantic Fleet, she acted as escort to a westbound convoy to Halifax, Nova Scotia, and then returned to New York for her post-shakedown overhaul. On 6 February-1943 she left Norfolk as escort for HMS Victorious. The vessels arri ved at Pearl Harbor 4 March 1943. On 10 May, after a training period, Bache departed for the Aleutian Islands. She served in the Aleutian area until December 1943, taking part in the bombardment of Kiska. After a brief overhaul at Pearl Harbor she joined the 7th Fleet 23 December 1943.
Until 29 October 1944 Bache operated with the 7th Fleet taking part in: bombardment of New Britain Island (26 December 1943); Los Negros, Admiralty Islands, landings (29 February 1944), bombardment of Ndrilo and Karunia Islands in the Admiraltie s (4-7 March); bombardment of various assault beaches and targets of opportunity on New Guinea and adjacent islands (10 April-15 September); bombardment of Leyte Island, Philippine Islands (20 October); and finally, 25 October 1944, as a unit of TG 77.3 s he took part in the overwhelming victory of Battle of Surigao Strait. On 29 October Bache departed Leyte enroute to the United States for yard overhaul.
Upon completion of her overhaul she joined the 5th Fleet at Eniwetok 20 February 1945. Between 28 February and 5 March she provided fire support at Iwo Jima. On 1 April Bache arrived off Okinawa for screening and picket duty. She suffered slight damage 3 May, when an enemy suicide plane overshot the ship and crashed into the sea. The same day she went to the aid of the stricken LSM(R)-195 and rescued her crew of 74. Remaining on this vital duty she helped destroy several ene my planes. On 13 May several enemy dive-bombers attacked the picket stations and one completed a successful suicide attack on Bache. The wing of the plane struck near number two stack, catapulting the plane down on the main deck amidships, with its bomb exploding about seven feet above the main deck. Forty-one of the crew were killed and 32 were injured. All steam and electrical power were lost. Fires were brought under control within 20 minutes and she was towed to Kerama Retto, Okinawa, for tempo rary repairs.
Bache arrived at New York Navy Yard 13 July 1945 for permanent repairs and then went to Charleston, S. C. for inactivation. On 4 February 1946 Bache went out of commission in reserve at Charleston.
In 1950 Bache was converted to an escort destroyer at Boston Navy Yard (reclassified DDE-470, 2 January 1951) and recommissioned 1 October 1951. Bache was assigned to the Atlantic Fleet and since that time has made six cruises to the Cari bbean for operations and training exercises and three cruises in the Mediterranean where she operated as a unit of the 6th Fleet.
Bache received eight battle stars for her World War II service.
Bacon, William see William Bacon
Badger is a burrowing mammal with short, thick legs, and long claws on the fore feet.
Born in Connecticut in 1823, Oscar C. Badger was appointed Midshipman in 1841. He took an active part In the Mexican and Civil Wars and was frequently commended in the dispatches. Commodore Badger retired In August 1885 and died in 1899.
(ScStr: dp. 4784; l. 329'7"; b. 48'3"; dr. 18'6"; s. 16 k. cpl. 235; a. 6 5")
The first Badger, an auxiliary cruiser, was built in 1889 by John Roach and Sons, Chester, Pa., as Yumuri; purchased 19 April 1898, converted to an auxiliary cruiser at New York Navy Yard, commissioned 25 April 1898, Commander A. S. Snow in command; and joined the North Patrol Squadron.
From 1 July to 18 August 1898 Badger served on the blockade of Cuba. On 26 July 1898, off the Dry Tortugas, she seized a Spanish tug with two vessels in tow, each with a quarantine flag hoisted. They were given medical assistance, provisioned, a nd kept in port until 3 August when a prize crew was put aboard the tug to sail her to New York. The other two vessels with 399 prisoners of war were sent to Havana.
Badger left Guantanamo Bay 18 August 1898 with a contingent of Army troops, landing them at Montauk Point, N. Y., 24 August. Badger remained on the east coast until 26 December 1898 when she sailed to the Pacific, arriving at San Francisc o 15 April 1899. From there she carried the Joint High Commission to Samoa (26 April-13 May 1899) and then cruised in Samoan waters. Following her return to Mare Island Navy Yard 14 August 1899, she cruised along the Pacific coast until 6 October 1899 wit h the Oregon and California Naval Militia. Decommissioned 31 October 1899, Badger was transferred to the War Department 7 April 1900.
(DD-126, dp. 1211; l. 314'5"; b. 31'8"; dr. 9'4"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 136; a. 4 4", 2 3", 12 21" TT.; cl. Tattnall)
The second Badger (DD-126) was launched 24 August 1918 by New York Shipbuilding Corp., Camden, N. J.; sponsored by Mrs. Henry F. Bryan, granddaughter of Commodore Badger; commissioned 29 May 1919, Commander G. T. Swasey in command; and reported to the Atlantic Fleet.
Following commissioning, Badger steamed to the Mediterranean where she cruised until August 1919. Upon her return to the east coast she was assigned to the Pacific Fleet, arriving at San Diego in September. She served at various naval bases on t he west coast until May 1922 when she was placed out of commission.
Upon recommissioning in January 1930 Badger served with the Battle Force and Scouting Force in the Pacific. In April 1933 she returned to the Atlantic and thereafter participated in coastal cruises and reserve training. During 1938-39 she operat ed with Special Squadron 40-T based at Villefranche, France. Upon her return to Norfolk, she joined Destroyer Division 53, Patrol Force, with additional summer assignments to the Midshipmen Coastal Cruise Detachment.
Between December 1941 and October 1944 Badger operated as a convoy escort in the Atlantic and Caribbean. Twice she escorted convoys to North Africa (15 October-26 November 1943 and 15 February-24 March 1944), and for a brief period (27 June-6 Se ptember 1943) she served as a unit of anti-submarine hunter-killer groups 21.12 and 21.16.
In October 1944 Badger transited the Panama Canal and conducted anti-submarine training off Balboa, C. Z. Between 15 November 1944 and 20 June 1945 Badger served with the Anti-Submarine Development Detachment, Port Everglades, Fla., condu cting anti-submarine development exercises. She arrived at Philadelphia 22 June 1945 and was decommissioned 20 July. She was sold 30 November 1945.
Badger received one battle star while operating with TG 21.12.
Badger, Charles J. (DD-657) see Charles J. Badger (DD-657)
Badger, Charles E. (DD-196) see George D. Badger (DD-196)
Badoeng Strait, between Bali and the small island of Nusa Besar, Netherlands East Indies, was the site of a battle, 19-20 February 1942, between American-Netherlands and Japanese naval forces.
(CVE-116: dp. 10,330; l. 557'1"; b. 105'2"; dr. 30'8"; 19.1 k.; cpl. 1072; a. 2 5"; cl. Commencement Bag)
San AIberto Bay was renamed Badoeng Strait 6 November 1943, launched 15 February 1945 by Todd-Pacific Shipyards, Inc., Tacoma, Wash.; sponsored by Mrs. T. H. Binford, wife of Captain Binford; commissioned 14 November 1945, Captain R. K. Turner in command; and reported to the Pacific Fleet.
Badoeng Strait operated out of San Diego until March 1946, when she made a brief cruise to the Hawaiian Islands. On 20 April 1946 she was placed out of commission. The ship was recommissioned 6 January 1947.
Between February 1947 and June 1950 Badoeng Strait operated in the Pacific, testing new anti-submarine warfare equipment, training her personnel, and participating in numerous anti-submarine warfare exercises. At various intervals she ser ved as flagship of Carrier Divisions 17 and 15.
From July 1950 until February 1953 Badoeng Strait completed three tours off Korea (29 July 1950-23 January 1951, 2 October 1951-14 February 1952, and 6 October 1952-11 February 1953), as a unit of TF's 95 and 77. During these tours she op erated on anti-submarine warfare duty and as a part of the blockade-escort force. Her aircraft provided invaluable close ground support during the early period of the action, particularly during the defense of the Pusan Perimeter (6 August-12 September 19 50), Inchon landing (15 September), and Hungnam evacuation (9-24 December 195C).
Since 1953 the ship has undergone modernization (April to September 1953); continued extensive experimental work in anti-submarine warfare with new naval aircraft and helicopters, participated in various Pacific Fleet training exercises, and carried ou t extensive exercises with Marine assault helicopters. She has also completed another tour of the Far East and participated in Operation Redwing in the. Pacific Proving Grounds during February-July 1956.
On 14 January 1957 Badoeng Strait sailed for Bremerton, Wash., for Inactivation. She went out of commission in reserve 17 May 1957.
Badoeng Strait received the Navy Unit Commendation and six battle stars for her services during the Korean action.
Baffins is a bay in Texas.
(CVE-35: dp. 8333; l. 495'8"; b. 111'6"; dr. 26'; s. 17 k.; cpl. 890; a. 2.5"; cl. Prince William)
Baffins (ACV-35) was launched 18 October 1942 by Seattle-Tacoma Shipbuilding Corp., Tacoma, Wash.; sponsored by Mrs. Laurance Bennett, wife of Commander Bennett; and commissioned 28 June 1943, Captain W. L. Rees in command.
Baffins remained at Puget Sound Navy Yard until 18 July 1943. Her classification was changed to CVE-35 on 15 July 1943. On the 18th she proceeded to Vancouver, British Columbia, where she was decommissioned the following day and transferred to t he United Kingdom under Lend-Lease.
During World War II she was operated by the British as HMS Ameer. She was returned 17 January 1946 and sold by the Navy 17 September 1946.
Bagaduce is a peninsula in Maine.
(AT-21: dp. 751; l. 156'8"; b. 30'; dr. 14'7"; s. 12.4 k.; cpl. 35; a. 2 3"; cl. Bagaduce)
Ammonoosuc (AT-21) was renamed Bagaduce 24 February 1919; launched 5 April 1919 by Ferguson Steel and
Iron Co., Buffalo, N. Y.; and commissioned 18 September 1919, Lieutenant (junior grade) F. Mogridge in command.
Assigned to the 3d Naval District, Bagaduce operated at New York Navy Yard and along the coast of New England. In July 1926 she was on duty during the salvage of S-51 (SS-162) off Point Judith, R. I. Bagaduce was next assigned to t he 7th Naval District and arrived at Key West, Fla., 2 August 1926. Between 26 April and 7 June 1927 she assisted in refugee and other disaster relief operations during the flood along the Mississippi River. She left Key West 11 July 1927 for Coco Solo, C . Z., where she operated with the Control Force at the Submarine Base until February 1929 when she returned to Key West. She continued routine operations until 20 April 1932 when she was decommissioned at Philadelphia.
Bagaduce was recommissioned at Philadelphia 22 June 1938 and assigned duty in the 11th Naval District, arriving at San Diego, Calif., 22 October 1938. She remained on duty in California waters through 1942. Following a voyage to Pearl Harbor ear ly in 1943, she returned to San Francisco. She operated along the California coast until decommissioned 22 June 1946. Her classification was changed to ATO-21 on 14 May 1944. Bagaduce was transferred to the Maritime Commission 9 January 1947 .
The second Bagaduce (ATA-194) was built as ATA-194 (q. v.) and had her name assigned 10 July 1948.
Born at Raleigh, N. C., 6 April 1874, Worth Bagley graduated from the Academy in 1895. Ensign Bagley lost his life on board Winslow (TB-5), during its attack on the batteries. at Cardenas, Cuba, 11 May 1898. Ensign Bagley was the first naval off icer killed in action during the Spanish-American War.
(TB-24: dp. 167; . 157'; b. 17'7"; dr. 4'11"; s. 29 k.; cpl. 28; a. 3 1-pdr., 8 18" TT.; cl. Bagley)
The first Bagley (Torpedo Boat No. 24) was launched 25 September 1900 by Bath Iron Works, Ltd., Bath, Maine; sponsored by Mrs. Josephus Daniels, sister of Ensign Bagley; and commissioned 18 October 1901, Ensign W. McDowell in command.
Bagley operated along the east coast until going into reserve at Norfolk Navy Yard 18 February 1903. On 14 September 1907 she was placed in full commission and reported to the Naval Academy. She remained on duty at the Academy until 13 March 191 4 when she was placed in ordinary at Annapolis.
Recommissioned 29 March 1917 Bagley was fitted out at New York and attached to the Harbor Entrance Patrol 3d Naval District. Operating from the Marine Base Brooklyn, N. Y., her duties of patrolling, scouting ahead of the convoys leaving h arbor, observation, and escorting were continuous until she was demobilized in 1919. On 1 August 1918 Bagley was redesignated and renamed Coast Torpedo Boat No. 10. She was decommissioned 12 March 1919 and sold 9 April 1 919.
(DD-185 dp. 1213; l. .314'5";, b.31'8" dr. 9'4"; s. 34k.; cpl. 122; a. 4 4". 2 3". 12 21" TT.; cl. Lamberton)
The second Bagley (DD-185) was launched 19 October 1918 by Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Newport News, Va.; sponsored by Mrs. Adelaide Worth Bagley, mother of Ensign Bagley, commissioned 27 August 1919, Commander R. L. Walker in co mmand, and reported to the Atlantic Fleet.Between August 1919 and July 1920 Bagley served in destroyer Flotillas 1, 3, and 8 participating in maneuvers and training in the Atlantic and Caribbean. She was placed in reserve commission 16 July 1920 a nd out of commission at Philadelphia 12 July 1922.
During 25 April 1932-20 April 1934 she was on loan to the Coast Guard.
The name Bagley was dropped 31 May 1935 and, until 1939, she was referred to as DD-185 (ex-Bagley). Renamed Doran 22 December 1939, she was recommissioned 17 June 1940 and reported to the Atlantic Squadron. She served with the Squa dron until 22 September 1940, when she was decommissioned at Halifax, Nova Scotia, and transferred in the destroyer-land bases exchange to Great Britain.
She was renamed HMS St. Mary's and arrived at Belfast, Ireland, 8 October 1940. Assigned to the permanent escort force of the 1st Minelaying Squadron, she arrived on the west coast of Scotland 31 October and took part in some of the early minela ying operations in Denmark Strait, between Iceland and Greenland. She also escorted a number of convoys. During 1941 she took part in most of the Squadron's minelaying operations and rendered valuable service in the defense of shipping. On 29 August 1941 she was in a collision with the transport Royal Ulsterman off the west coast of Scotland and was in the dockyard until December.
St. Mary's carried out minelaying and shipping defense duties in 1942 and 1943. In February 1944 she was paid off in the Tyne and remained there until the end of the war.
(DD-386: dp. 1500; L. 341'4"; b. 35'5"; dr. 17'1"; s. 35k.; cpl. 251; a. 4 5", 16 21" TT.; cl. Gridley)
The third Bagley (DD-386) was launched 3 September 1936 by Norfolk Navy Yard: sponsored by Miss Bella Worth Bagley, sister of Ensign Bagley; commissioned 12 June 1937, Lieutenant Commander F. W. Morris in command; and reported to the Atlantic Sq uadron.
Bagley operated along the east coast and in Cuban waters during the first year following her commissioning. Assigned to Destroyer Division 7, Battle Force, in June 1938, she participated in fleet maneuvers in the Canal Zone, Haitian-Cuban Florid a area, and later on the west coast.
On 7 December 1941 Bagley was moored at Pearl Harbor and when the Japanese planes attacked, she opened fire immediately and assisted in the destruction of several enemy airplanes. Between December 1941 and 30 May 1942, when she arrived in Brisba ne, Australia, Bagley performed patrol and escort duties in the Central and Eastern Pacific, taking part in raids on Bougainville (20 February 1942) and Salamana-Lae (10 March). Between 7 and 30 August 1942 she was at Guadalcanal and took part in the Firs t Battle of Savo Island (9 August) splashing one plane. Following the battle she rescued approximately 450 survivors of Astoria (CA-34), Vincennes (CA-44), and Quincy (CA-39).
From September 1942 until December 1943 Bagley escorted convoys in the South Pacific, except for a brief period supporting the invasion of Woodlark Island (1-2 July 1943). Between 15 December 1943 and 10 February 1944 she performed screening, pi cket, and escort duties during the invasion of New Britain. Returning to Mare Island Navy Yard 27 February she underwent a complete overhaul and returned to the Pacific 5 May 1944.
Between 13 June 1944 and 24 May 1945 Bagley took part in the bombardment of Tinian and Saipan Islands (13 June-20 July 1944), Battle of the Philippine Sea 19-20 June) bombardment of the Bonin and Volcano Islands (1-2 September) bombardment of Ya p Islands (7-8 September); invasion of the Southern Palau Islands (9 September-6 October) raids on Nansei Shoto, Formosa, and the Northern and Central Philippines (10-21 October); Leyte invasion (22-31 October); Battle of Leyte Gulf (25 October); invasion of Lingayen Gulf (1-23 January 19451.; invasion of Iwo Jima (l6 February-12 March); and the invasion of Okinawa (25 March-24 May).
On 31 August 1945 Bagley, with Rear Admiral F. E. M. Whiting embarked, arrived at Marcus Island and received the surrender of the island. Between 2 September and 1 November 1945 she served in the Sasebo-Nagasaki area on occupation duty, a fittin g end for a distinguished career.
Bagley returned to the United States in November 1945 and was decommissioned 14 June 1946. She was sold 3 October 1947.
Bagley received 12 battle stars for her World War II service.
Baham is a star in the constellation Pegasus.
(AK-122: dp. 5522; l. 441'6"; b. 56'11"; dr. 23'; s. 12.6 k.; a. 1 6"; cf. Crater)
Baham (AK-122) was launched 21 December 1943 by St. John's River Shipbuilding Corp., Jacksonville, Fla., as Elizabeth C. Bellamy under a Maritime commission contract, sponsored by Mrs. Walter F. Rogers; transferred to the Navy 31 D ecember 1943, placed in reduced commission 1 January 1944; converted to a combination repair distilling and stores issuing ship; reclassified AG-71, 14 March i944, placed in full commission 18 August 1944, Lieutenant O. L. Field, USNR, in command, and rep orted to the Pacific Fleet.
Upon her arrival at Pearl Harbor Baham underwent further conversion to a headquarters maintenance ship. Conversion was completed 10 January 1945 and she proceeded to Ulithi Atoll, Caroline Islands where she remained until 20 May. Between May i94 5 and March 1946 Baham served at the following bases: San Pedro Bay, Leyte, Philippine Islands (25 May-30 June); Eniwetok Atoll, Marshall Islands (11 July-8 September); and Tokyo Bay, Japan (20 September 1945-8 March 1946).
Baham arrived in San Francisco 24 March 1946. She then sailed to Pearl Harbor, where she was decommissioned 19 July 1946. The vessel was declared surplus and sold by the Maritime Commission 30 June 1947.
Born at Chateaugay, N. Y., 12 April 1805, Theodorus Bailey was appointed a Midshipman in 1818. He was commended for energy, enterprise, and gallantry in the war with Mexico. During the Civil War he was Admiral Farragut's second in command at the battle of New Orleans. Rear Admiral Bailey died at Washington, D. C., 10 February 1877.
(TB-21: dp 235; l. 205'; b. 19'3"; dr. 6'10"; s. 30 k.; cpl. 59; a. 4 6-pdr., 2 18" TT.)
The first Bailey (Torpedo Boat No. 21) was launched 6 December 1899 by Gas Engine and Power Co., and Charles L. Seabury and Co., Consolidated, Morris Heights, N. Y.; sponsored by Miss Florence Beekman Bailey, granddaughter of Admiral Bailey; com missioned 10 June 1901 Lieutenant G. W. Williams in command, and reported to the Atlantic Fleet.
On 13 June 1901 Bailey proceeded to Newport where she remained for several months and then steamed to Port Royal, S. C., arriving 31 October 1901. She remained at Port Royal until June 1902 and then proceeded to Norfolk where she went out of com mission 14 June.
Between 27 January 1904 and 7 November 1909 Bailey was in commission in reserve with the Reserve Torpedo Flotilla at Norfolk. On 22 December 1909 she was assigned to the Reserve Torpedo Division, Charleston, S. C. Recommissioned 1 June 1910 she joined the 1st Torpedo Division. She cruised for three months on the Atlantic coast and then was assigned to the Naval Academy for duty at the Engineering Experimental Station.
Between October 1911 and March 1914 Bailey was attached to the Reserve Torpedo Division at Annapolis and, on 1 April 1914, she was placed in ordinary there. She was recommissioned 6 February 1917 and during World War I performed patrol du ty at New York. She was re-named Coast Torpedo Boat No. 8, 1 August 1918.
She was decommissioned 18 March 1919 and sold 10 March 1920.
(DD-289: dp. 1215; l. 134'4"; b. 31'8"; dr. 9'10"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 122; a. 4 4", 1 3", 12 21" TT.; cl. Clemson)
The second Bailey (DD-269) was launched r February 1919 by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Squantum, Mass; sponsored by Miss Rosalie Fellows Bailey, great-granddaughter of Admiral Bailey, commissioned 27-June 1919, Commander A. Sharp in command; a nd reported to the Pacific Fleet.
Bailey carried out routine operations along the west coast between October 1919 and June 1922. Because of the disturbed conditions on the west coast of Mexico she was assigned to patrol duty there for short periods in 1920. On 16 June 1922 Ba iley went out of commission at San Diego.
On 30 September 1939 she was recommissioned at San Diego and reported to Destroyer Division 72, Atlantic Squadron. Bailey served with the Squadron in operations off the eastern seaboard until November 1940. On 26 November 1940 she was decommissi oned at Halifax, Nova Scotia, and transferred in the destroyer-land bases exchange to Great Britain.
Renamed HMS Reading she was commissioned 26 November 1940 for service with the 5th "Town" Flotilla and arrived at Plymouth, England, 17 December 1940. Between December 1940 and July 1941 she escorted convoys in the Atlantic, working out of Liver pool. In July 1941 she joined the Newfoundland Escort Group with which she remained until May 1942. Between May and October 1942 she underwent a yard overhaul, after which she served as a target ship for aircraft from the Air Station, Fearn, Scotland, and continued in this assignment until July 1945 when she was handed over to ship-breakers at Rosyth.
(DD-492: dp. 1620; l. 347'10"; b. 36'1"; dr. 17'4"; s. 37 k.; cpl. 276; a. 4 5" 38 cal., 1 21" quin TT; cl. Benson)
The third Bailey (DD-492) was launched 19 December 1941 by Bethlehem Steel Co., Staten Island, N. Y.; sponsored by Mrs. Mary de Peyster Charles, granddaughter of Admiral Bailey, commissioned 11 May 1942, Lieutenant Commander F. D. Karns, Jr., in command; and reported to the Pacific Fleet.
In the Pacific, Bailey joined TF 8 on patrol in the Aleutian Islands. On 12 January 1943 she supported the unopposed invasion of Amchitka Island and on 26 March took part in the Battle of the Komandorski Islands. During a torpedo attack, in whic h she scored several gunfire hits on the Japanese heavy cruiser Nachi, Bailey received three direct hits from 8-inch shells which killed five and wounded six men, and caused major damage to the ship. For this action she was awarded the Navy Unit Co mmendation. After undergoing temporary repairs at Dutch Harbor, Alaska, Bailey arrived at Mare Island Navy Yard 8 April 1943 for permanent repairs.
Repairs completed, she arrived at Pearl Harbor 16 October 1943. Between November 1943 and October 1944 Bailey acted as a fire-support, picket, and patrol ship in the invasions of Tarawa (20 November-7 December 1943); Maloelap and Kwajalein, Mars hall Islands (30 January-29 February 1944); Saipan and Tinian, Marianas Islands (15 June-28 July), and Peleliu and Angaur, Palau Islands (15 September-2 October).
On the night of 1 October 1944 she underwent two severe strafing attacks while on picket duty off the Palaus. Damage was extensive, 9 men were killed and 16 wounded. Following emergency repairs Bailey proceeded to Mare Island for permanent repai rs, arriving 25 October.
Returning to Pearl Harbor 24 December 1944, she supported the landings on Mindanao (10 March-10 April 1945) and on Borneo (27 April-22 July). Between August and November 1945 she was engaged in training in Far Eastern waters.
On 11 December 1945 she arrived at Boston for inactivation and went out of commission in reserve at Charleston, S. C., 2 May 1946.
Bailey received nine battle stars, in addition to the Navy Unit Commendation, for her services in the Pacific.
Bailey, Kenneth D. (DD-713) see Kenneth D. Bailey (DD-713)
Born in Princeton, N. J., 7 May 1774, William Bainbridge was appointed Lieutenant in the Navy 3 August 1798. He performed distinguished service in the war with France and commanded the frigate Philadelphia when she ran aground and was captured i n the harbor of Tripoli 29 December 1803. Bainbridge was held prisoner by the Tripolitans until 3 June 1806. During the War of 1812 he commanded Constitution and, on 26 December 1812, he engaged and captured HMS Java. Between 1824 and 1827 h e was a Navy Commissioner. Commodore Bainbridge died in Philadelphia 28 July 1833 and was buried at Christ Church, Philadelphia.
(Brig: T. 259; l. 100'; b. 25'; dr. 14'; s. 11.5 k.; cpl. 100; a. 12 32-pdr. car.; cl. Bainbridge)
The first Bainbridge, a 12-gun brig, was launched 26 April 1842 by Boston Navy Yard and commissioned 16 December 1842, Commander Z. F. Johnston in command.
Sailing from Boston 26 January 1843, Bainbridge served with the Home Squadron until returning to New York 3 May 1844. During 26 June 1844-10 October 1847 she served with the Brazil Squadron. She laid up for most of the next year and then spent 1 0 April 1848-2 July 1850 with the African Squadron. She departed New York 2 November 1850 and until September 1856 cruised with both the African and Brazil Squadrons. She returned to Norfolk 10 September 1856.
Laid up at Norfolk Navy Yard 18 September 1856-28 April 1858, she departed Hampton Roads, Va., 18 May 1858 to join Commodore W. B. Shubrick's squadron for operations against Paraguay in retaliation for the attack on Water Witch in 1855. < I>Bainbridge arrived at Asuncion, Paraguay, in company with the squadron in January 1859 and after the matter had been peacefully settled remained with the Brazil and African Squadrons until departing Rio de Janeiro 17 September 1860. She arrived at B oston 9 November 1860 and was placed out of commission.
Recommissioned 1 May 1861 Bainbridge sailed for the Gulf of Mexico 21 May 1861 and cruised there until June 1862. While in the area she captured two schooners and assisted in the capture of one steamer. On 3 August 1862 she sailed from New York to join the East Gulf Blockading Squadron at Key West, Fla.
In September 1862 she was ordered to Aspinwall, Panama, where between 22 and 24 November, a severe storm forced her to jettison all spars, sails, gun carriages howitzers, shot, powder, provisions, and water. After extensive repairs she sailed for New Y ork, arriving in May 1863. On 21 August 1863 while proceeding to her station with the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron she capsized off Cape Hatteras with the loss of all but one of her crew.
(DD-1: dp. 420; l. 250'; b. 23'7"; dr. 6'6"; s. 29 k.; cpl. 75; a. 2 3", 2 18" TT.; cl. Bainbridge)
The second Bainbridge (Destroyer No. 1) was launched 27 August 1901 by Neafie and Levy, Ship and Engine Building Co., Philadelphia, Pa., sponsored by Mrs. Bertram Greene great-granddaughter of Commodore Bainbridge; placed in reserve commission a t Philadelphia 24 November 1902, Lieutenant G. W. Williams in command, towed to Norfolk; and placed in full commission 12 February 1903.
Bainbridge departed Key West, Fla., 23 December 1903 and sailed via the Suez Canal to the Philippine Islands, arriving at Cavite 14 April 1904. Between 1904 and 1917 she served with the 1st Torpedo Flotilla, Asiatic Fleet, except for a brief per iod (17 January 1907-24 April 1908) when she was out of commission. From 24 April 1912-1 April 1913 she was in reserve.
On 1 August 1917 she departed Cavite for Port Said, Egypt, where she joined Squadron 2, U. S. Patrol Force, 25 September 1917. Bainbridge served on patrol and convoy duty until 15 July 1918 when she departed for the United States. She arrived at Charleston, S. C., 3 August 1918 and participated with the fleet in activities along the Atlantic coast until 3 July 1919 when she was decommissioned at Philadelphia. She was sold 3 January 1920.
(DD-246: dp. 1215; l. 314'4"; b. 31'8"; dr. 9'10"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 137; a. 4 4', 1 3", 12 21" TT.; cl. Clemson)
The third Bainbridge (DD-246) was launched 12 June 1920 by New York Shipbuilding Corp., Camden, N. J.; sponsored by Miss Juliet Edith Greene, great-great-granddaughter of Commodore Bainbridge; commissioned 9 February 1921, Lieutenant Commander H . Thebaud in command; and reported to the Atlantic Fleet.
Bainbridge operated along the eastern seaboard and in the Caribbean with the fleet carrying out tactical exercises and maneuvers until October 1922, when she departed for Constantinople to join the Naval Detachment Turkish Waters. On 16 December 1922 she rescued approximately 600 survivors of the burning French military transport Vinh-Long about 10 miles off Constantinople. For extraordinary heroism during the rescue Lieutenant Commander W. A. Edwards received the Medal of Honor.
The next year, at Newport, she served temporarily as flagship of Commander, Scouting Fleet and then joined Squadron 14, Scouting Fleet, in the Atlantic.
Between 1923 and 1926 Bainbridge participated in annual fleet concentrations, tactical and joint maneuvers, and fleet and type competitions. In 1927 she was assigned temporary duty with the Special Service Squadron for patrol duty off Nicaragua during internal disturbances there. During several summers Bainbridge participated in the training program of the Scouting Fleet, making summer cruises with reservists. On 23 December 1930 she was placed out of commission in reserve at Philadelphia .
On 9 March 1932 Bainbridge was placed in reduced commission and attached to Rotating Reserve Division 19 taking part in Naval Reserve training cruises. She was placed in full commission 6 September 1933 and assigned to Destroyer Division 8, Scouting Force. For a short period she served with the Special Service Squadron in the Florida Keys and Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and was later assigned to the Pacific, arriving at San Diego 5 November 1934. While serving on the west coast Bainbridge made cruises to British Columbia, Alaska, and Hawaii. She was placed out of commission in reserve at San Diego 20 November 1937.
Recommissioned 26 September 1939 Bainbridge was assigned to Division 62 and operated on the Neutrality Patrol in the Canal Zone until the summer of 1940 when she reported to Key West, Fla., for patrol duty. During the early part of 1941 she crui sed along the northeast coast and between May and November 1941 made three convoy escort voyages to Newfoundland and Iceland.
Between December 1941 and July 1945 Bainbridge operated as a convoy escort in the waters off the east and Gulf coasts and in the Caribbean with the exception of five trans-Atlantic escort crossings to North Africa (February-December 1943).
Commencing her inactivation 1 July 1945, Bainbridge wan decommissioned 21 July at Philadelphia and sold 30 November 1945.
Bainbridge received one battle star for her service as a convoy escort (13 June-6 August 1943).
Bairoko is a small inlet on the north coast of New Georgia, Solomon Islands, occupied by American forces 26 August 1943.
(CVE-115: dp. 10,330; l. 667'1"; b. 105'2"; dr. 32'; s. 19.1 k.; cpl. 1086; a. 2 5"; cl. Commencement Bay)
Portage Bay (CVE-115) was renamed Bairoko 6 June 1944; launched 25 January 1945 by Todd-Pacific Shipyards, Inc., Tacoma, Wash.; sponsored by Mrs. J. J. Ballentine, wife of Rear Admiral Ballentine; and commissioned 16 July 1946, Cap tain H. B. Temple in command.
Commissioned too late to take an active part in World War II, Bairoko engaged in peacetime fleet cruises, maneuvers, and exercises until December 1949. During the period she made two cruises to the Far East (18 October 194-25 January 1946 and 18 February-30 May 1947), and participated in the atomic bomb test at Eniwetok Atoll. On 16 December 1949 she reported to San Francisco for pre-inactivation overhaul and went out of commission in reserve 14 April 1950.
When the Korean conflict broke out Bairoko was immediately readied for active duty. She was recommissioned 12 September 1950 and reported to the Pacific Fleet. Between November 1950 and August 1953 she made three extended cruises to the Far East (14 November 1950-15 August 1951, 1 December 1951-9 June 1952 and February-August 1953), acting in support of the United Nations Forces in Korea. Her planes flew hundreds of strikes against North Korean and "Chinese Volunteer" troops, installations, tran sportation facilities, and naval units. On 9 May 1951 she had five men killed and 13 injured by an explosion and flash fire in Japanese waters.
Returning to the west coast late in August 1953, Bairoko remained there until January 1954 when she departed to assist in the hydrogen bomb tests in the Eniwetok Bikini area. From May through June 1954 she operated out of San Diego on training e xercises. In July 1954 she reported to Long Beach Naval Shipyard to commence pre-inactivation overhaul and went out of commission in reserve at San Francisco 18 February 1955.
Bairoko received three battle stars for her Korean service.
Born in Plainfield, N. J., 31 May 1916, John Drayton Baker enlisted in the Naval Reserve in 1941. He was appointed Naval Aviator 28 August 1941 and commissioned Ensign 18 September 1941. Ensign Baker was reported missing in action during the Battle of the Coral Sea, 7 May 1942 and officially declared dead 8 May 1943. For his gallantry and services Ensign Baker received the Navy Cross.
(DE-190: dp. 1240; l. 308'; b. 38'8"; dr. 11'8" s. 21 k.: cpl. 188; a. 3 3", 3 21" TT.; cl. Cannon)
Baker (DE-90) was launched 28 November 1943 by Federal Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Newark, N. J.; sponsored by Mrs. Margaret Baker, mother of Ensign Baker; and commissioned 23 December 1943, Lieutenant Commander L. B. Lockwood, USNR, in comma nd.
Reporting to the Atlantic Fleet, Baker was assigned to Escort Division 48 and escorted two trans-Atlantic convoys to North Africa (13 February-24 March and 12 April-30 May 1844).
Between 20 June 1944 and 9 May 1945 she served with several hunter-killer task groups. On 5 July 1944 while operating with TG 22.10 in 42°18' N., 59°49' W., she delivered several depth charge attacks which forced the German submarine U-233 to su rface. All Baker's guns opened fire, scoring several hits, and then she laid a 13-charge shallow pattern ahead of the submarine who rode squarely into the middle of the detonation. The sub's crew abandoned her just before Thomas (DE-102) ram med and sank her. Thirty-one survivors of the sub's crew were picked up and transferred to Card (CVE-11).
From May until October 1945 Baker operated out of Quonset Point, R. I., as a plane guard during carrier qualifications. During November and part of December she escorted the captured German submarine U-977 to various eastern ports as a pa rt of a Victory Loan drive. Baker went out of commission in reserve 4 March 1948 and was transferred to France under the Mutual Defense Assistance Program 29 March 1952.
Baker received one battle star for her action with U-233.
Baker, Mount (AE-4) see Mount Baker (AE-4)
Baker, Paul G. (DE-755) see Paul G. Baker (DE-755)
Balao is the name of any of several halfbeaks.
(SS-285: dp. 1628; l. 311'8"; b. 27'3"; dr. 18'10"; s. 20.2 k.; cpl. 88; a. 1 5", 10 21" TT., cl. Balao)
Balao (SS-285) was launched 27 October 1942 by Portsmouth Navy Yard, sponsored by Mrs. Theodore C. Aylward, wife of Lieutenant Commander Aylward, commissioned 4 February 1943, Lieutenant Commander R. H. Crane in command; and reported to the Paci fic Fleet.
Balao's war operations span a period from 25 July 1943 until 27 August 1945. During this period she completed ten war patrols. She is credited with having sunk seven Japanese ships totaling 32,108 tons, in addition to sinking by gunfire 1100 ton s of miscellaneous enemy small craft
Balao arrived at Staten Island, N. Y., 27 September 1946 and on 20 August 1948 went out of commission in reserve at New London.
On 4 March 1952 Balao was recommissioned and assigned to the Atlantic Fleet. Since that time she has been based at Key West, Fla., and has operated as a unit of Submarine Division 121, engaging in various type exercises, fleet maneuvers, and sub marine warfare training.
Balao received nine battle stars for her World War II service.
Born in Shelbyville, Tenn., 8 January 1821, George Beall Balch was appointed Acting Midshipman in 1837. He served in the Mexican War and was executive officer of Plymouth during Commodore M. C. Perry's expedition to Japan. During the Civil War h e took part in many engagements. Rear Admiral Balch served as superintendent of the Naval Academy (1879-81) and for a short period commanded the Pacific Fleet. He retired in January 1883 and died 18 April 1908 at Raleigh, N. C.
(DD 50: dp. 1088; l. 305'3"; b. 31'2"; dr. 10'8"; s. 29.8 k.; cpl. 128, a. 4 4", 8 18" TT.; cl. Aylwin)
The first Balch (DD-50) was launched 21 December 1912 by William Cramp and Sons Ship and Engine Building Co., Philadelphia, Pa.; sponsored by Miss Grace Balch, daughter of Admiral Balch, and commissioned 28 March 1914, Lieutenant Commander D. C. Hanrahan in command.
Balch served only a few months with the Torpedo Flotilla, Atlantic Fleet, before she was placed in reserve commission at New York Navy Yard 24 July 1914. Included however, was service in Mexican waters (28 April-3 May). On 17 December 1914 she w as placed in full com-
mission and rejoined the Atlantic Fleet. Prior to the entrance of the United States into World War I, she served on Neutrality Patrol. She rescued survivors of the British steamer Stephano (8 October 1916) which had been sunk by a German submari ne off Newport, R. I.
When the United States entered the war Balch sailed for European waters, arriving at Queenstown, Ireland, 17 November 1917. She was assigned to the Queenstown Force and carried out convoy escort duties until 16 November 1918 when she departed Qu eenstown for the United States. Balch arrived at Norfolk 1 January 1919 and was placed in ordinary.
She returned to duty with the Atlantic Destroyer Squadrons in the latter part of 1921 and cruised along the east coast until April 1922. She was placed out of commission in reserve at Philadelphia 20 June 1922. Her name was dropped 1 November 1933 and she was scrapped in 1935.
(DD-363: dp. 1825; l. 381'1"; b. 36'11"; dr. 17'9"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 294; a. 8 5", 12 21" TT.; cl. Porter)
The second Balch (DD-363) was launched 24 March 1936 by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Quincy, Mass.; sponsored by Miss Gertrude Balch, granddaughter of Admiral Balch; and commissioned 20 October 1936, Commander T. C. Latimore in command.
After her commissioning Balch operated for a period under the Chief of Naval Operations. She departed Newport R. I., for the Pacific in October 1937 and, upon arrival at San Diego she joined Destroyer Division 7, Battle Force. Thereafter as flag ship of Destroyer squadron 12, and later of Destroyer Squadron 6, she participated in fleet training, cruises, and battle problems in the Pacific and Haitian-Caribbean area. After participating in Fleet Problem XXI at Pearl Harbor, Balch steamed to Mare Island Navy Yard where she underwent a yard period in the spring of 1940. Upon the completion of her yard period she made six cruises alternately between the Hawaiian Islands and the west coast (August 1940-December 1941).
On 1 December 1941 Balch put to sea as a unit of TF 8 and remained with the Task Force after the Pearl Harbor attack. She cruised in the Pacific during the early months of the war and participated in the bombardment of Taroa Island, Marshall Isl ands (1 February 1942). Between February 1942 and June 1944 Balch performed widespread screening, patrolling, and fire support duties during the Wake Island raid (24 February 1942), the decisive Battle of Midway (4-7 June), during which she rescued 545 survivors of Yorktown (CV-5); Guadalcanal landings (7-30 August); Attu invasion (11 May-2 June 1943; Toem-Wakde-Sarmi landings (25-28 May 1944) and Biak Island invasion (28 May-18 June).
On 15 July 1944 Balch arrived at New York. Between 2 August 1944 and 23 May 1945 she completed five trans-Atlantic convoy escort crossings to various North African ports. On 16 June 1945 she commenced her pre-inactivation overhaul at Philadelphi a, was decommissioned 19 October 1945; and scrapped in 1946.
Balch received six battle stars for her Pacific service during World War II.
Born 30 March 1918 in Detroit, Mich., Remi August Balduck enlisted in the Marine Corps 4 September 1940. Corporal Balduck was killed in action 9 November 1942 while leading the repulse of a Japanese frontal attack against American positions on Guadalca nal. For his actions he was posthumously awarded the Navy Cross.
(APD-132: dp. 1390; l. 306'; b. 36'10"; dr. 13'9"; s. 23.6 k.; cpl. 204; a. 1 5"; cl. Crosley)
Balduck (DE-716) was reclassified APD-132, 17 July 1944; launched 27 October 1944 by Defoe Shipbuilding Co., Bay City, Mich.; sponsored by Mrs. Mary Verhougstraete, mother of Corporal Balduck; and commissioned 7 May 1945, Lieutenant R. T. Newell , Jr., USNR, in command.
Departing Oceanside, Calif., 16 August 1945, Balduck steamed to Okinawa, arriving 3 September. She participated in the occupation of Korea and Tsingtao, China until 12 October 1945. She departed 19 October for San Diego, arriving 7 November. As a member of Transport Division 112 she conducted five voyages between San Diego and San Pedro, Calif., carrying personnel, before commencing her pre-inactivation overhaul. She went out of commission in reserve at San Diego 31 May 1946.
Balduck was recommissioned 5 November 1953 and assigned to Amphibious Control Division 12. Between 8 December 1953 and 25 March 1954 she was at San Francisco Naval Shipyard undergoing repairs and overhaul. Upon return to San Diego Balduck joined Amphibious Control Division 11. She exercised in the area with underwater demolition teams and on anti-submarine warfare training.
On 1 September 1954 Balduck departed San Diego and steamed to Yokosuka, Japan, reporting to Amphibious Transport Division 31. She arrived 14 October 1954 at Haiphong, Indo-China, and assisted in the evacuation of Vietnamese. She then steamed to the Tachen Islands, arriving 9 February 1985, where she operated with units of TF 77 during the evacuation of Nationalist Chinese soldiers and civilians. Between 1 and 17 March Balduck steamed with a task unit between Yokosuka and San Diego. Follow ing repairs she operated out of San Diego on anti-submarine, amphibious, and air defense training exercises.
Arriving at Yokosuka, Japan, 15 September 1985, Balduck cruised in Japanese and Philippine waters and participated in amphibious landing exercises until returning to San Diego 23 March 1956. Since her return from the Far East Balduck has continued to operate out of San Diego on anti-submarine and amphibious training exercises.
Charles Baldwin served in Wyalusing during the Civil War. For gallantry in action during an unsuccessful attempt to destroy CSS Albemarle, he was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor and promoted to Acting Master's Mate.
(DD-624: dp. 1630; l. 348'3"; b. 36'1"; dr. 17'5"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 276; a. 4 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Gleaves)
Baldwin (DD-624) was launched 14 June 1942 by Seattle-Tacoma Shipbuilding Co., Seattle, Wash.; sponsored by Mrs. Ida E. Crawford, daughter of Acting Master's Mate Baldwin; commissioned 30 April 1943, Lieutenant Commander G. Knuepfer in command, and reported to the Atlantic Fleet.
Between 13 August 1943 and 25 January 1944 Baldwin made three trans-Atlantic convoy escort crossings to Casablanca, French Morocco. She also acted as a fire support, patrol, and escort vessel during the invasions of Normandy (5 June-15 July 1944 ) and southern France (13 August-25 September). She sustained slight damage from two small caliber shells off Normandy 6 June. Between 21 January and 27 February 1945 Baldwin escorted Quincy (CA-71) carrying President Roosevelt to the Yalta Conference.
Upon her return to the United States Baldwin carried out patrol and plane guard duties off the east coast until July 1945, when she departed for the Pacific. Between August 1945 and January 1946 she acted as flagship for the minesweeping operati ons off the Korea and China coasts.
Returning to the east coast in January 1946, Baldwin served with the Atlantic Fleet until placed out of commission in reserve at Charleston, S. C., 20 June 1946.
Baldwin received three battle stars for her World War II service.
Bali is an island in Indonesia.
(AK: dp. 17,300; l. 420'6"; b. 54'8"; dr. 29'3"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 70; a. 1 5")
Bali was a cargo vessel launched in 1917 by Rotterdam Droogd. Maats., Rotterdam, Netherlands; acquired for the Naval Overseas Transportation Service 21 March 1918; and commissioned 27 March 1918 at New York, Lieutenant Commander N. Ferguson, USN RF, in command.
Upon commissioning she immediately loaded a cargo of Army supplies and sailed for St. Nazaire. Bali operated in European waters until May 1919. She was placed out of commission at Amsterdam, Holland, 30 May 1919 and returned to her former owner.
Balinas (CVE-38) see Bolinas (CVE-33)
Edward J. Ballard was appointed a Midshipman 24 February 1809. He was killed during the engagement between Chesapeake and HMS Shannon 1 June 1813. His commission as a Lieutenant was issued before news of the battle reached the Navy Depart ment.
(Galley: T. 40; cpl. 26; a. 1 12-pdr. S. B.; cl. Ludlow)
The first Ballard, a small galley, was built in 1813 by Adam and Noah Brown, Vergennes, Vt.
Ballard, under the command of Master's Mate S. Holland, took part in the capture of the British squadron on Lake Champlain 11 September 1814. Not used after the War of 1812, she was sold at Whitehall, N. Y., in July 1816.
(DD-267: dp. 1215; l. 314'4"; b. 31'8"; dr. 9'10"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 122; a. 4 4", 1 3", 12 21" TT.; cl. Clemson)
The second Ballard (DD-267) was launched 7 December 1918 by Bethlehem Steel Corp., Squantum, Mass.; sponsored by Miss Eloise Ballard; commissioned 5 June 1919, Lieutenant Commander F. M. Collier in command; and reported to the Atlantic Fleet.
Between July 1919 and July 1920 Ballard cruised to various ports in Europe and the Mediterranean. She returned to the United States in July 1920 and served for a time with the Atlantic Fleet She then proceeded to the Pacific where she carried ou t type training and participated in fleet maneuvers until placed out of commission in reserve at San Diego 17 June 1922.
On 25 June 1940 Ballard was placed in commission in ordinary and was towed to Union Yard of Bethlehem Steel Corp., San Francisco, for conversion to an auxiliary seaplane tender (reclassified AVD-10, 2 August 1940). She was placed in full commiss ion 2 January 1941 and reported to Aircraft, Scouting Force, Pacific Fleet.
With the entrance of the United States into World War II, Ballard steamed to Pearl Harbor where she arrived 28 January 1942. Until November 1943 she was engaged in tending patrol planes, laying aircraft buoys, escorting convoys and patrolling th roughout the Eastern Pacific (Phoenix, Midway, Fiji, Espiritu Santo, Guadalcanal, Florida, and New Caledonia). Returning to San Francisco 7 November, she completed repairs 30 December 1943 and then acted as a plane guard during carrier qualification opera tions, off San Diego, until May 1944.
Between 15 June and 3 July 1944 she participated in the Saipan operation, laying aircraft buoys, and tending the first patrol squadron to operate from the area. Next, she performed patrol duties during the seizure of the Palau Islands (12 September-11 December 1944).
In late December 1944 she began another stateside yard period at Seattle. Upon completion of repairs, she was once again assigned to plane guard duties, operating out of San Diego until 1 October 1945. Ballard arrived at Philadelphia 28 October 1945 to commence pre-inactivation overhaul. She was decommissioned 6 December 1945 and sold 23 May 1946.
Ballard received two battle stars for her service during World War II.
Ball, High (947) see High Ball (947)
Ballou, General C. C. (AP-167) see General C. C. Ballou (AP-157)
Balm (YN-78) see Terebinth (YN-78)
Baltimore is a city and port in Maryland.
(Packet: no information available)
The first Baltimore, a brigantine of 12 guns, was built in 1777 at Baltimore, Md., and fitted out as a dispatch or packet vessel.
She was used at times for the protection of the coast along the Delaware and Chesapeake Bays. She was commanded by Captain T. Read of the Continental Navy, 1778-79, and was lost near Cape Henry 29 January 1780.
(Ship: T. 422; l. 103'9"; b. 30'8"; cpl. 180; a. 18 9-pdr. S. B., 6 4-pdr. S. B.)
The second Baltimore (20), a ship, was built in 1798 by Joseph Caverly, Baltimore, Md., as Adriana; purchased by the Navy 23 May 1798; renamed Baltimore; and placed under the command of Captain Isaac Phillips.
In August 1798 Baltimore was ordered to join Constellation and convoy a fleet of merchantmen home from Havana, Cuba. Late in 1798 Baltimore and Constitution were escorting a large convoy to Havana, when the latter sprung her bowsprit and returned home. Baltimore later fell in with two British frigates, 16 November 1798, who impressed 55 of her crew (50 were returned). On his return to the United States, Captain Phillips was dismissed for permitting this outrage to the American flag. The incident also created much anti-British feeling.
During 1799 Baltimore took two prizes and the following year three more, as well as recapturing three American vessels which had fallen into French hands. At the close off the Quasi-War with France she carried the ratified peace treaty to France . Upon her return Baltimore was sold at Philadelphia in 1801.
(SwStr: T. 500; l. 200'; b. 26'8"; dph. 10'; a. 1 32-pdr. S. B.)
The third Baltimore, a side-wheel steamer, was built in 1848 at Philadelphia, Pa., captured on the Potomac River between Aquia Creek and Washington, D. C., by the Army 21 April 1861, turned over to the Navy Department; and commissioned in April 1861, Lieutenant J. H. Russell in command.
During the Civil War Baltimore was used as an ordnance vessel between Washington Navy Yard and nearby ammunition depots. She was also used to ferry Army troops across the Potomac River. She saw some service with the North Atlantic Blockading Squ adron as a dispatch and supply vessel. On 9 May 1862 she transported President Lincoln, and Secretaries Stanton and Chase, from Fort Monroe to Norfolk in an attempt to get a close view of the destroyed Confederate ironclad Virginia.
Baltimore was turned over to Norfolk Navy Yard 22 May 1865 and sold 24 June 1865 at Washington, D. C.
(C-3: dp. 4413; l. 336'; b. 48'8"; dr. 20'6"; s. 20.1 k.; cpl. 383; a. 4 8", 6 6"; cl. Baltimore)
The fourth Baltimore (Cruiser No. 3) was launched 6 October 1888 by William Cramp and Sons Ship and Engine Building Co., Philadelphia, Pa.; sponsored by Mrs. Theodore D. Wilson, wife of Chief Constructor Wilson; and commissioned 7 January 1880, Captain W. S. Schley in command.
Baltimore became flagship of the North Atlantic Squadron 24 May 1890 and during 15-23 August conveyed the remains of the late Captain John Ericsson from New York to Stockholm, Sweden. After cruising in European and Mediterranean waters, she arri ved at Valparaiso, Chile, 7 April 1891 to join the South Pacific Station. She protected American citizens during the Chilean revolution, landing men at Valparaiso 28 August. Arriving at Mare Island Navy Yard 5 January 1892, she cruised on the west coast o f the United States until 7 October and then returned to the Atlantic. She took part in the naval rendezvous and review in Hampton Roads during March and April 1893. Proceeding via the Suez Canal, she cruised as flagship of the Asiatic Station, 22 Decembe r 1893-3 December 1895, protecting American interests. Returning to Mare Island 21 January 1896, she went out of commission 17 February 1896.
Recommissioned 12 October 1897, Baltimore sailed on 20 October for the Hawaiian Islands and remained there between 7 November 1897 and 25 March 1898. She then joined Commodore George Dewey's squadron at Hong Kong, 22 April 1898. The squadron sai led from Mirs Bay, China, 27 April for the Philippines and on the morning of 1 May entered Manila Bay and destroyed the Spanish fleet stationed there. Baltimore remained on the Asiatic Station convoying transports and protecting American interests until 23 May 1900, when she sailed for the United States, via the Suez Canal, arriving at New York 8 September 1900.
Between 27 September 1900 and 6 May 1903 Baltimore was out of commission at New York Navy Yard. From 5 August to 23 December 1903 she served with the Caribbean Squadron, North Atlantic Fleet, taking part in summer maneuvers off the coast of Main e, in the Presidential Review at Oyster Bay, N. Y. (15-17 August), and in Santo Domingo waters. Between 28 May and 26 August 1904 she was attached to the European Squadron and cruised in the Mediterranean. On 26 September she sailed from Genoa, Italy, for the Asiatic Station and spent the next two years cruising in Asiatic, Philippine, and Australian waters.
Baltimore returned to New York 24 April 1907 and went out of commission at New York Navy Yard 15 May 1907. On 20 January 1911 she was placed in commission in reserve and served as a receiving ship at Charleston Navy Yard (30 January 1911-20 Sept ember 1912). During 1913-14 she was converted to a minelayer at Charleston Navy Yard and recommissioned 8 March 1915. During 1915-18 she carried out mining experiments and operations in Chesapeake Bay and along the Atlantic coast.
At American entry into World War I, Baltimore was training personnel. Early in March 1918 she was detailed to assist in laying a deep mine field off the north coast of Ireland in the North Channel. She arrived at the Clyde on 8 March and between 13 April and 2 May laid approximately 900 mines in the North Channel. On 2 June she joined Mine Squadron 1 at Inverness, Scotland, and for four months participated in laying the Northern Mine Barrage.
On 28 September 1918 Baltimore sailed from Scapa Flow, Orkney Islands, for the United States. She carried out mining experiments in the vicinity of the Virgin Islands until the end of the year.
In September 1919 she joined the Pacific Fleet and remained on the west coast until January 1921. She then proceeded to Pearl Harbor, where she was subsequently placed out of commission 15 September 1922 and sold 16 February 1942.
(CA-68: dp. 13,300; l. 673'5"; b. 70'10"; dr. 26'10"; s. 33 k.; cpl. 1142; a. 9 8", 12 5"; cl. Baltimore)
The fifth Baltimore (CA-68) was launched 28 July 1942 by Bethlehem Steel Co., Fore River, Mass., sponsored by Mrs. Howard W. Jackson, wife of the Mayor of Baltimore; commissioned 15 April 1943, Captain W. C. Calhoun in command; and reported to t he Pacific Fleet.
Between November 1943 and June 1944 Baltimore was a unit of the fire support and covering forces at the Makin Islands landings (20 November-4 December 1943); Kwajalein invasion (29 January-8 February 1944), Truk raid (16-17 February); Eniwetok s eizure (17 February-2 March), Marianas attacks (21-22 February), Palau-Yap-Ulithi-Wolesi raid (30 March-1 April); Hollandia landing (21-24 April); Truk-Satawan-Ponape raid (29 April-1 May), air strikes against Marcus Island (19-20 May) and Wake Island (23 May), Saipan invasion (11-24 June); and the Battle of the Philippine Sea (19-20 June).
Returning to the United States in July 1944, she embarked President Roosevelt and his party and steamed to Pearl Harbor. After meeting with Admiral Nimitz and General MacArthur, the President was carried to Alaska where he departed Baltimore 9 A ugust 1944.
Returning to the war zone in November 1944, she was assigned to the 3rd Fleet and participated in the attacks on Luzon (14-16 December 1944; and 6-7 January 1946); Formosa (3-4, 9, 15, and 21 January); the China coast (12 and 16 January); and Okinawa ( 22 January).
On 26 January she joined the 5th Fleet for her final operations of the war: Honshu Island attacks (16-17 February); Iwo Jima operation (19 February-5 March); and the 5th Fleet raids in support of the Okinawa operation (18 March-10 June).
After the cessation of hostilities Baltimore served as a unit of the "Magic Carpet" fleet and then as a part of the naval occupation force in Japan (29 November 1945-17 February 1946). Departing the Far East 17 February 1946 she returned to the United States and went out of commission in reserve 8 July 1846 at Bremerton, Wash.
Baltimore was recommissioned 28 November 1951 and assigned to the Atlantic Fleet. She was deployed with the 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean during the summers of 1952, 1953, and 1954. In June 1953 she represented the United States Navy in the Cor onation Naval Review at Spithead, England. On 5 January 1955 she was transferred to the Pacific Fleet and was deployed with the 7th Fleet in the Far East between February and August 1955.
Baltimore commenced pre-inactivation overhaul upon her return from the Far East and went out of commission in reserve at Bremerton, Wash., 31 May 1956.
Baltimore received nine battle stars for her service in the Pacific during World War II.
Bamberg County (LST-209) see LST-209
Back to the DANFS Online Main Page
Questions, Comments and Feedback
This section of the HG&UW site coordinated and maintained by Andrew Toppan.
Copyright © 1996-2003, Andrew Toppan. All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction, reuse, or distribution without permission is prohibited.