From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
Bass is an edible, spiny-finned fish.
(SSK-2: dp. 765; l. 196'; b. 24'7"; dr. 14'5"; s. 13 k.; cpl. 37; cl. Barracuda)
The second Bass (SSK-2) was launched 2 May 1951 as USS K-2 by Mare Island Naval Shipyard; sponsored by Mrs. John J. Crane, widow of Commander Crane, and commissioned 16 November 1952, Lieutenant Commander D. E. Bunting in command.
SSK-2 arrived at Pearl Harbor 23 May 1952 to join Submarine Division 72. Since she belonged to a new type of submarine, she engaged in evaluation operations to determine her capabilities and limitations. In January 1953 she underwent restricted availability at Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard for the installation of additional equipment. In June 1953 she resumed operations and for the next 13 months engaged in developing tactics and coordinated operations with other fleet units.
In January 1954, SSK-2 returned to Mare Island for overhaul and made a cruise to Mazatlan, Mexico, before returning to Pearl Harbor. She was renamed Bass 15 December 1955. Bass operated out of Pearl Harbor until June 1957. On 26 June 1957 she returned to the United States and operated along the west coast until going out of commission in reserve 1 October 1957.