From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
Barracuda is a voracious, pikelike fish.
(SSK-1: dp. 765; l. 196'1"; b. 24'7"; dr. 14'5"; s. 13 k.; cpl. 37; cl. Barracuda)
The second Barracuda (SSK-1) was launched 2 March 1951 by Electric Boat Division, General Dynamics Corp., Groton, Conn., as K-1 (SSK-1); sponsored by Mrs. Willis Manning Thomas; and commissioned 10 November 1951, Lieutenant Commander F. A. Andrews in command.
Barracuda joined Submarine Development Group 2 with her home port at New London, Conn. She cruised along the Atlantic coast of the United States and Canada, in the Caribbean, and made a voyage to Greenock and Rothesay, Scotland, in June 1955. On 16 December 1956 her name was changed from K-1 to Barracuda (SSK-1). During intervals between and after these cruises, Barracuda has operated along the eastern seaboard carrying out training and experimental exercises.