(Submarine No. 99: dp. 495 (surf.), 576 (subm.), l. 175'; b. 16'8"; dr. 13'11" (mean); s. 14 k. (surf.), 11 k. (subm.); cpl. 29; a. 1 3", 4 21" tt.; cl R-21)
R-22 (Submarine No. 99) was laid down 19 April 1917 by the Lake Torpedo Boat Co., Bridgeport, Conn.; launched 23 September 1918; sponsored by Mrs. Erie A. Eklund; and commissioned 1 August 1919, Lt. Comdr. Walter S. Hass in command.
Following commissioning, R-22 operated in the New London-Newport area for 2 months. On 1 November, she headed south for Coco Solo, C.Z., her homeport. Designated SS-99 in July 1920, she was based in the Canal Zone with Submarine Division 1 through that year. The following year she was transferred back to New London for duty with Submarine Division 0, an experimental division. she was based at New London for the rest of her active service returning to Panama only for the 1923 Fleet Problem. Ordered inactivated in 1924, she was towed to Philadelphia in Novem- ber and decommissioned there 29 April 1925. Five years later 9 May 1930, she was struck from the Navy list. She was sold for scrapping in July of the same year.