(Submarine No. 94: dp. 569 (surf.), 680 (subm.), l. 186'2"; b. 18'; dr. 14'6"; s. 13.5 k. (surf.), 10.5 k. (subm.); cpl. 29; a. 1 3", 4 21" tt,; cl. R-l)
R-17 (Submarine No. 94) was laid down by the Union Iron Works, San Francisco, Calif., 5 May 1917; launched 24 December 1917; sponsored by Miss Bertha F. Dew; and commissioned 17 August 1918, Lt. Comdr. William R. Munroe in command.
Commissioned toward the end of World War I, R-17 operated briefly off the California coast, then patrolled off the Panama Canal Zone, returning to California in December 1918. In March 1919, she arrived at San Francisco for over- haul, after which she moved west to Pearl Harbor. Departing the west coast 17 June, she arrived in Hawaii on the 25th and for the next 11 1/2 years operated with fleet units and tested equipment being developed for submarines.
The submarine, designated SS-94 in July 1920, departed Pearl Harbor 12 December 1930, called at San Diego, thence continued on to the east coast for inactivation. Arriving at Philadelphia 9 February 1931, she was decommissioned 15 May and berthed at League Island until after the outbreak of World War II in Europe.
Recommissioned at New London, 25 March 1941, R-17 headed south on 14 May, patrolled in the Virgin Islands during June; off the Canal Zone in July, August, and Septem- ber; then, in October, returned to New London. For the next 4 months she conducted training exercises. On 9 March 1942, she was decommissioned and transferred to the United King- dom under the Lend-Lease Agreement. Commissioned in the Royal Navy as P. 512, she was employed at Bermuda as a training ship for the Royal Canadian Navy until 6 September 1944 when she was returned to the U.S. Navy at Philadelphia. Retained for use as a target ship until after the end of the war in Europe, R-17 was struck from the Navy list 22 June 1945. She was sold, 16 November 1945, to the North American Smelting Co., Philadelphia, for scrapping.