From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
A large, brown and white flatfish, valued as a food.
(Submarine No. 21) was renamed G-4 on 11 November 1911.
(SS-427)-a Balao -class submarine was laid down on 13 November
1943 at Philadelphia, Pa., by the Cramp Shipbuilding Co., but the
contract for her construction was cancelled on 12 August 1945. Her
partially completed hulk was later launched and, in 1950, was
assigned to the Naval Ship Research and Development Center,
Annapolis, Md. There, it is used for research and development in
connection with the control and reduction of machinery noise in
Transcribed: epm 4/26/1998