From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
(SS-12: dp. 145; l. 82'5"; b. 12'6"; dr. 10'7"; s. 9 k.; cpl. 10; a. 2 18" TT.; cl. B)
B-3 was launched 30 March 1907 by Fore River Shipbuilding Co., Quincy, Mass., as Tarantula (SS-12); sponsored by Mrs. George S. Radford, wife of Naval Constructor Radford; commissioned 3 December 1907, Lieutenant J. F. Daniels in command; and reported to the Atlantic Fleet.
Tarantula operated along the Atlantic coast with the 1st and 2nd Submarine Flotillas on training and experimental exercises until going into reserve at Charleston Navy Yard 6 November 1909. She was recommissioned 15 April 1910 and served with the Atlantic Torpedo Fleet until assigned to the Reserve Torpedo Group, Charleston Navy Yard 9 May 1911 and placed out of commission 4 December 1912. On 17 November 1911 Tarantula was renamed B-3. On 6 December 1912, B-3 was towed to Norfolk and loaded on board Ajax (AC-15) for transfer to the Asiatic Station. Arriving at Cavite, Philippine Islands, 30 April 1913, B-3 was launched from Ajax 12 May. She was recommissioned 2 September 1913 and remained in the Philippines where she served with Submarine Division 4, Torpedo Flotilla, Asiatic Fleet. De-commissioned at Cavite 25 July 1921, B-3 was subsequently used as a target.