(Submarine No. 104: dp. 495 (surf.), 576 (subm.), l. 175'; b. 16'8"; dr. 13'11" (mean); s. 14 k. (surf.), 11 k. (subm.); cpl. 29; a. 1 3", 4 21" tt.; cl. R-21)
R-27 (Submarine No. 104) was laid down 16 May 1917 by the Lake Torpedo Boat Co., Bridgeport, Conn.; launched 23 September 1918; sponsored by Mrs. Mary Louise Foster; and commissioned 3 September 1919, Lt. William C. Burgy in command.
Assigned duty with Submarine Division 1 in the Canal Zone, R-27 got underway for her homeport of Coco Solo on 1 November. She arrived at Coco Solo 11 December and conducted operations out of that port and out of Balboa Designated SS-104 in July 1920, she interrupted her 5 years in the Canal Zone with an overhaul at Portsmouth, N.H., during the winter of 1921-22 and a run to Pearl Harbor for exercises in early 1923. On 1 November 1924, she departed Coco Solo for the last time. On the 24th she arrived at Charleston, S.C., whence she was towed to Philadelphia. There she was decommissioned 24 April 1925 and berthed at League Island until struck from the Navy list 9 May 1930. Her hull was sold for scrapping the following July.