(Submarine No. 100: dp. 495 (surf.), 576 (subm.), l. 175'; b. 16'8"; dr. 13'11" (mean); s. 14 k. (surf.), 11 k. (subm.); cpl.29; a.1 3",4 21"tt.; cl. R-21)
R-23 (Submarine No. 100) was laid down 25 April 1917 by the Lake Torpedo Boat Co., Bridgeport, Conn.; launched 5 November 1918; sponsored by Miss Ruth Jane Harris; and commissioned 23 October 1919, Lt. David R. Lee in command.
A little over a month after commissioning, R-23 departed New London for her homeport, Coco Solo, C.Z. Designated SS-100 in July 1920, she was based in the Canal Zone, interrupting her service there only for overhaul periods at Balboa and on the east coast. She returned to the United States for inactivation in the fall of 1924, arriving Philadelphia 1 December. R-23 was decommissioned 24 April 1925 and was berthed at League Island until struck from the Navy list 9 May 1930 and sold for scrap in July of the same year.