From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, V.4 , 1969, p. 34.
Towns in Florida, Illinois, Maine New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, and Rhode Island are named Lake Wood..
(Str: t. 1,157; l. 261'6"; b. 43'6"; dr. 17'8"; s. 10 k.; cpl. 64; a. 1 5", 1 3")
Lake Wood, a cargo ship, was launched under USSB contract as War Honor 10 October 1917 by Detroit Drydock Co., Wyandotte, Mich.; acquired by the Navy 15 December 1917; and commissioned as Lake Wood the same day in Norfolk, Va., Lt. Comdr. N. T. Henderson, USNRF, in command.
Assigned to NOTS, Lake Wood operated out of Norfolk from 19 January 1918 until 19 March, carrying coal and cargo to Boston, Guantanamo Bay, and Philadelphia. Loaded with coal, she departed Norfolk 29 March; steamed via Halifax, Nova Scotia, to Europe; and arrived Clyde, Scotland, 18 April. After sailing to Corpack and Lamplash, Scotland, she departed Lamplash 9 May for Norfolk, arriving 26 May. Between 27 June and 4 December, she made two more voyages from Norfolk to Scottish ports.
Resuming collier service out of Norfolk, Lake Wood transported coal to Boston and Portsmouth, N.H. Returning to Norfolk 19 January 1919, she decommissioned 5 February and was returned to USSB the same day. In 1921 Lake Wood was sold to Lloyd Royal Belge and operated out of Antwerp with Belgian papers under the name Cambrier. She was subsequently renamed Cap D'Alprecht.
Transcribed by Richard H. Bouchard.