Colonel Harney, a side wheel steamer, was built in 1840
at Baltimore and
transferred from the Army in 1844. From 28 November 1844 she cruised between
Norfolk, Va., and New Orleans under the command of Lieutenant W. F. Lynch,
protecting the live oak and other essential ship-building timber on Government
land and offering aid to vessels in distress. From 21 October 1845 she lay at New
Orleans until returned to the Army 18 March 1846.