From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
A species of dolphin.
(SwStr: t. 230; l. 180'; b. 27'; dph. 5')
Rear Admiral D. D. Porter purchased Grampus, formerly Ion, for the U.S. Navy on 22 July 1863 at Cincinnatti [sic; Cincinnati], Ohio, for $9,750.00. She was utilized as a receiving ship in the Mississippi Squadron, and stationed at Cincinnati, Ohio. By 14 November 1863 Acting Master Elijah Sells in command, she was recognized as a "nice little receiving vessel in first-rate order," but contained no furnishings or weapons other than 10 cutlasses and revolvers.
Acting Ens. C. W. Litherbury in command, Grampus at Cincinnati, Ohio, assisted in stripping of certain ships for conversion to gunboats, and effected their delivery to fleet staging points for the Mississippi Squadron, principally Cairo and Mound City, Ill. Grampus was sold to D. D. Holliday & Bros. on 1 September 1868 at Mound City, Ill.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (email@example.com)