From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
To flow smoothly and easily.
(StwStr: t. 137; a. 6 24-pdr. how.)
The first Glide was a sternwheel tinclad originally built in Shousetown, Pa., in 1862 and purchased by Read Admiral D. D. Porter at Pittsburgh, Pa., 17 November 1862. She was taken to Cairo, Ill., for fitting out and commissioned 3 December 1862, Acting Lt. Selim E. Woodworth in command.
After fitting out, Glide departed 3 January 1863 for the lower Mississippi as part of the Mississippi Squadron. She participated in the fierce engagement at Fort Hindman, or Arkansas Post, 11 January as part of the division of light draft gunboats under the overall command of Lt. Comdr. Watson Smith. As army forces launched the assault, Glide and the other gunboats helped to silence the powerful batteries. She passed the fort under heavy fire and proceeded upstream to cut off possible escape routes for the garrison.
After aiding in the important victory at Fort Hindman, helping to open the White River, Glide served briefly there as a gunboat and supply ship until she was sent to Cairo for repairs in early February 1863. While she was repairing there, on 7 February an unexplained fire broke out forward and within a few minutes the tinclad was entirely destroyed.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (email@example.com)