From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
A sea God in Greek mythology.
(ScStr: t 1,244; l. 209'; b. 35'6"; dph. 20'8"; s. 10 k.; a. 1 100-pdr. P. r., 2 30-pdr. r., 8 8")
Glaucus a screw steamer, was built in New York in 1863; purchased 17 July 1863 by Rear Admiral F. H. Gregory; and commissioned 18 February 1864, Comdr. C. H. B. Caldwell in command.
Glaucus was assigned to the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron, but before assuming her duties she was chosen to transport Senor Manuel Murillo, newly elected President of Columbia, to Cartagena. She departed 5 March from New York and arrived Cartagena 16 March. Returning to Beaufort, N.C., 3 May 1864, Glaucus took up blockading station off Cape Fear River. On 28 May, while pursuing a blockade runner off the Western Bar, Glaucus caught fire and was nearly destroyed. The crew managed to control the flames, however; and she proceeded to Philadelphia for repairs, arriving 9 June 1864 and decommissioning 11 June. Repaired and recommissioned 22 August 1864, she broke down on her way to New York, and had to again undergo extensive repairs. Sailing to join the West India Convey Fleet, she grounded near Molasses Reef in the Bahamas, and had to be towed 30 May 1865. She was decommissioned 6 June, sold 12 June 1865 to John Henderson. Renamed Worchester, she had an active merchant career before being scrapped at Boston in 1894.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (firstname.lastname@example.org)