From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
A former name retained.
(ScStr: t. 350; l. 156'; b. 21'; dph. 11'; a. 2 12-pdr. r., 6 24-pdr. how.)
Iron steamer Gertrude, a British blockade runner, was built in Greenock, Scotland, in 1863. She was captured 16 April 1863 by Vanderbilt off Eleuthera Island and purchased from the New York Prize Court by the Navy 4 June 1863. Gertrude was fitted out at New York Navy Yard and commissioned there 22 July 1863, Acting Master Walter K. Cressy in command.
Assigned to the West Gulf Blockading Squadron under Rear Admiral Farragut, Gertrude arrived off Mobile in early August and on 16 August captured Confederate blockade runner Warrior following a 9-hour chase. After taking her prize to New Orleans, Gertrude was assigned blockade duty off that port. She served as a blockading ship, alternating between New Orleans and Mobile, until May 1864, and was credited with the capture of schooner Ellen 16 January 1864. During this period she also spent short periods at Ship Island, Miss., and New Orleans for repairs.
Beginning in May 1864, Gertrude was assigned to blockade the Texas coast, and spent most of the next year off Galveston. She visited blockading stations off Sabine Pass and Velasco, and took blockade runner Eco off Galveston 19 February 1865. Gertrude also captured over 50 bales of cotton 19 April 1865 which were thrown overboard by famous Confederate blockade runner Denbigh during her escape from the blockading fleet.
Gertrude decommissioned 11 August 1865 at the Philadelphia Navy Yard and was sold 30 November at New York to George Wright. She was redocumented Gussie Telfair in 1866 and sailed as a merchantman until 1878.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (firstname.lastname@example.org)