From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
Former name retained.
(SwStr: t. 368; l. 140'; b. 25'; dr. 7'; s. 16 mph [sic; k.]; a. 1 30-pdr. r., 2 24-pdr. how.)
Eolus, a side wheel steamer, was built in 1864 by Thomas S. Marvel, Jr., Newburgh, N.Y.; purchased by the Navy 26 July 1864; and commissioned 12 August 1864, Lieutenant Commander J. J. Cornwell in command.
Eolus sailed from New York the day she was commissioned to search for CSS Tallahaseee, thought to be off New York. On 20 August she departed New York once more to join the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron off Wilmington, N.C., on the 24th.
During the remainder of the war, Eolus patrolled the coast, rivers, and sounds of North Carolina, enforcing the blockade and acting as picket. She carried men, messages, mail, supplies, orders, and ammunition to the large ships of the squadron and transferred their wounded to hospital ships. In October, she captured one blockade runner, and aided in the capture of two others.
Eolus sailed from Hatteras Inlet, N.C., for Boston 12 June 1865. She was decommissioned 24 June 1865, and sold 1 August 1865.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (firstname.lastname@example.org)