From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
Former name retained.
(SwStr: t. 230; l. 150'; b. 23'; dph. 8'6"; s. 8 k.; cpl. 39; a. 2 24-pdr. how.)
The first Ella, a side wheel steamer, was purchased at New York 30 July 1862; outfitted at New York Navy Yard; and commissioned 10 August 1862, Acting Master S. C. Gray in command.
Ella sailed 12 August 1862 for duty with the Potomac Flotilla, and arrived at Fortress Monroe 2 days later. She performed her entire service in Virginia waters as a picket, patrol and dispatch boat, based on the navy yard at Washington, D.C. After a useful career, she returned to her base for the last time 30 July 1865. She was decommissioned there 4 August and sold 16 September 1865.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (firstname.lastname@example.org)