From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
E. B. Hale
Former name retained.
(ScStr: t. 220, l. 117', b. 28', dph. 7'6", dr. 8'6", s. 8 k.; cpl. 50; a. 4 32-pdr.)
E. B. Hale, a screw steamer, was purchased in July 1861, and commissioned 4 September 1861, Acting Master W. J. Foster in command.
She sailed 28 September for Washington, and from her arrival 1 October patrolled the Potomac River. On 14 November she sailed to deliver six heavy guns to the New York Navy Yard.
E. B. Hale left New York 20 December 1861 to join the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron, and arrived at Port Royal, S.C., New Year's eve. She combed the inland waters of South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida, including reconnaissance in Wright's and Mud Rivers and up the Ashepoo and Combahee in South Carolina. She participated in attacks on the enemy at Port Royal Ferry, in the Coosaw River and the North Edisto, and took part in the expeditions up to St. Johns River Bluff. On 14 November 1862 E. B. Hale captured the schooner Wave with a cargo of cotton and turpentine, and on 11 December sailed for New York where she was decommissioned for repairs.
Recommissioned 18 February 1863, E. B. Hale stood out for Port Royal 9 March and during the next 2 years served on patrol and picket duty, having frequent encounters with the Confederates. She put to sea from Port Royal 24 April 1865 and 5 days later arrived at the Philadelphia Navy Yard where she was placed out of commission 11 May 1865 and sold 20 June.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (email@example.com)