From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
A merchant name retained.
[Notice rewritten in Vol. III, Errata]
(Str: dp. 10,000; l. 380'; b. 51'; dr. 22'11"; s. 10 k.; cpl. 82; a. 2 4") Dochra (No. 1758) was built in 1906 by Swan, Hunter and Wingham Richardson, Ltd., Newcastle, England; transferred from the Shipping Board 21 October 1917; and commissioned the same day, Lieutenant Commander C. H. R. Longbottom, USNRF, in command. Between 21 November 1917 and 16 March 1919 Dochra made six voyages from Halifax, Nova Scotia; Norfolk; and New York to French ports, carrying 11,874 tons of cargo, mostly beef and other foodstuffs, for the American Expeditionary Force and naval forces operating in European waters. On 29 June 1918 she sailed from Halifax with a convoy but lost company during the night. Two days later, while seeking to rejoin her companions, she was overtaken by the German submarine U-151 and shelled. Dochra beat off the attack, evaded the enemy, and returned to Halifax safely. After the war Dochra sailed from New York 25 March 1919; delivered a cargo of supplies for the fleet at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, then returned to Norfolk 15 April. She was decommissioned at New York 10 May 1919, and delivered to the Shipping Board for return to her owners the same day.Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (email@example.com)