From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships


One acknowledged superior to all competitors.


SwStr: t. 115 l. 145'8" b. 26'5"

dr. 3'6" s. 4 k. a. 2 x 30-pdr. r., 1 x 24-pdr. sb., 1 x 12-pdr. sb.

Champion, an armed river steamer, was built in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1859 as Champion No. 4; purchased there 14 March 1863; fitted out at Cairo, Ill.; and commissioned 26 April 1863, Acting Master Alfred Phelps, Jr., in command.

Operating almost continuously from 27 April 1863 to 9 June 1865, Champion patrolled the Mississippi, Tennessee, and Red Rivers. She transported troops, prisoners, supplies, and cotton; towed and convoyed ships; and delivered dispatches. Her yeoman service ended at Mound City, Ill., where she was decommissioned 1 July 1865. Champion was sold 29 November 1865.

Transcribed by:
HTML conversion by: EPM
Date: 31 Jan 1999