From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
Amelia Bloomer, a feminist, gave her name to a short skirt and loose trousers gathered at the ankles.
(StwStr: T. 130; cpl. 49; a. 1 32-pdr. S. B., 1 12-pdr. R.)
Bloomer, a stern-wheel river steamer, was built in 1856 at New Albany, Ind.; captured by a boat expedition from Potomac and the 91st New York Volunteers in the Choctawatchie River, Fla., 24 December 1862, outfitted at Pensacola, Fla., as a tender to Potomac and placed under command of Acting Ensign E. Crissey, 24 January 1863. Her status as a prize or a salvaged vessel was the subject of much litigation and was not settled until the New Orleans Prize Court declared her to be a prize, 4 January 1865. She was subsequently purchased from the Court by the Navy.
Bloomer served with the East Gulf Blockading Squadron throughout her career. During 10-18 December 1863 she took part in the attacks along St. Andrew Bay, Fla., which resulted in the destruction of 380 salt works and the town of St. Andrew. Bloomer was wrecked on the Florida coast in June 1865 and sold 22 September 1865.