From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships


Berberry is an archaic spelling of barberry, a shrub.

(ScStr: T. 160; l. 99'6"; b. 20'6"; dr. 8'6", s. 5 k.; cpl. 31; a. 2 24-pdr. S. B., 2 12-pdr. S. B.)

Berberry was built in 1864 at Philadelphia, Pa., as Columbia; purchased there 13 August 1864; and commissioned 12 September 1864, Acting Ensign M. Griffith in command.

Berberry reported to the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron and served as a blockader off North Carolina (October 1864-May 1865). Returning to New York, she was sold there 12 July 1865.