From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
Adela is a feminine proper name.
(SwStr:T. 585; l. 211'; b. 23'6"; dr. 9'3"; a. 12 k.; cpl. 70; a. 2 20-pdr. R., 4 24-pdr. S. B.)
Adela was an iron, side-wheel steamer captured 7 July 1862 in the Bahamas by Quaker City and Huntsville. Purchased from the Prize Court at Key West, Fla., 23 May 1863, she was refitted at New York and commissioned under Acting Volunteer Lieutenant L. N. Stodder.
After searching for Confederate raiders, 14 June-3 July 1863, she sailed on 30 July from Sandy Hook, N..Y., to join the East Gulf Blockading Squadron. On 16 October 1863, in cooperation with Tahoma, she bombarded Tampa, Fla., and put ashore a landing party which burned two Confederate vessels. She remained on the blockade off St. George's Sound and St. Marks, Fla., until 19 November 1864. Repairs at New York followed and, from March to August 1865, she served with the Potomac Flotilla. Returning to New York, she was decommissioned and sold 30 November 1865.
Transcribed by: epm
Date: 25 April 1999