From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
A river in Virginia.
(SP - 861: l. 58'; b. 11'6"; dr. 2'9"; s. 10 k.; cpl. 5; a. 2 1-pdrs.)
James River (SP-861), a motor boat built by C. Crockett of Pocomoke City, Md., was acquired by the Navy in May 1917 from the Virginia State Fish and Oyster Commission. Her first commanding officer was B. W. Parker, Chief Master-at-Arms.
James River served as a patrol boat in the 5th Naval District, and was assigned to Pocomoke Sound, the James and Elizabeth Rivers, and other parts of Chesapeake Bay. She was returned to her owners 22 October 1918.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (email@example.com)