From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
A former name retained.
(SP - 430: t. 361; l. 135'; b. 27'; dr. 14'5"; s. 14 k.; a. 1 3", 2 mg.)
Gypsum Queen, a sea-going tug, was built by Dialogue & Co. in 1890, acquired from her owners, J. B. King Transportation Co. of New York, in September 1917; and commissioned 4 December 1917 at New York City.
Turned over to the 3d Naval District, Gypsum Queen was fitted out for overseas service at New York Navy Yard and subsequently served in French ports as a towing vessel and a minesweeper. While returning from rendering assistance to minesweepers foundering off the coast of France, Gypsum Queen struck a rock near Armen Light House off Brest 28 April 1919 and sank with a loss of 2 officers and 13 men.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (email@example.com)