From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
(SP-350: t. 220; 1. 110'1''; b. 24'; dr. 13'10"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 21; a. 1 1-pdr.)
The first Roselle was built during 1903 by Neafie & Levy Co. of Philadelphia, Pa., as a tug, acquired by the Navy 10 May 1917 for service as a minesweeper from Central RR. Co. of New Jersey, and commissioned 22 September 1917 Ens. L. N. J. Thomas, in command.
Assigned to the 3d Naval District, Roselle operated out of Tompkinsville, N.Y., on minesweeping patrol in Long Island Sound during 1917. As her former owner required her services for work essential to the national defense, Roselle was returned to the Central RR. Co. 31 December 1917 at New York, N.Y. Roselle remained on mercantile registers under several owners, after the war's end; she was renamed Fearless in 1936 and disappeared from the lists in 1942.