From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
The first Griswold was a former name retained.
(SP - 3138: dp. 133; l. 92'2"; b. 25'; dr. 5'6"; s. 10 k.)
The first Griswold (SP-3138), a wooden ferryboat, was built in 1899 by A. Nicholson, of Albany, N.Y., and was taken over by the Navy 12 August 1918, from her owner, East and West Shore Ferry & Transportation Co., New Haven, Conn. She commissioned 3 September 1918, at New York, Ens. W. J. Wilson, USNRF, in command.
Griswold was assigned to the 3d Naval District, and was used during her commissioned service as a ferry between the Bayonne, N.J., fuel depot and St. George, Staten Island, N.Y. She was detached from that duty 9 June 1919 and was simultaneously decommissioned and returned to her owner 20 June 1919.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (firstname.lastname@example.org)