From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
G. H. McNeal
A merchant name retained.
(SP - 312: t. 244; l. 140'; b. 21'; dr. 5'; s. 10 k.; cpl. 5; a. 2 3")
G. H. McNeal (also called George H. McNeal) was built in 1911 by W. C. Abbott, Milford, Del.; purchased from McNeal - Edwards Co., Reedville, Va., 26 May 1917; and commissioned the same day, Boatswain Alvin Downey, USNRF, in command.
The wooden steam tug was equipped with mine sweeping apparatus and enrolled in the Naval Coast Defense Reserve of the 5th Naval District. Based at Norfolk, Va., she served on patrol in the Virginia Capes area as a unit of Mine Sweeping Squadron 3 throughout her career. G. H. McNeal decommissioned 17 May 1919 and was sold to the McNeal - Dodson Co., Norfolk, 17 July 1919.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (email@example.com)