From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
The first Hampton, retained its former name, while the second was [Transcriber's note: and the third were] named after a county in South Carolina.
(SP - 3049: t. 48; l. 63'; b. 19'4"; dr. 6'3"; s. 9 k.)
Hampton (SP-3049), a wooden tug, was built in 1905 by H. Turman, Turkey Point, Va., and chartered by the Navy in 1918. She commissioned 21 April 1918 and served on general harbor duty in Hampton Roads under the jurisdiction of the 5th Naval District until being returned to her owner 13 August 1919.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (email@example.com)