From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
Title and hero of a poem by Longfellow; a famous Mohawk chieftain.
(SP - 2892: dp. 69; l. 65'5"; b. 17'; dr. 8'; s. 8 k.)
The second Hiawatha, a wooden steam tug, was built by Brown, Tottenville, of Staten Island, N.Y., in 1903; acquired by the Navy in 1918; and commissioned 1 August 1918 at New York.
Assigned to the 3d Naval District, Hiawatha operated with and was manned by sailors from guard ship Amphitrite. The tug performed guard duty in the harbor and boarded ships to inspect cargo until she was detached from service 5 December 1918. Hiawatha was returned to her owner 5 May 1919.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (email@example.com)