From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
A former name retained.
(SP - 252: dp. 19; l. 52'6"; b. 12'6"; dr. 2'6"; s. 8 k.; a. 1 1-pdr.)
Hobcaw, a motor boat, was built by L. B. Newman of Long Branch, N.Y., in 1907, and acquired by the Navy from her owner, B. M. Baruche of New York City, 27 August 1917. She commissioned 10 September 1917 at Georgetown, S.C., Ens. B. T. Daggett in command. Assigned to the 6th Naval District, Hobcaw performed harbor patrol in Winyah Bay, S. C., based at Charleston, until transferred to Paris [sic; Parris] Island, S.C. Arriving at the Marine Base 1 August 1918, Hobcaw acted as a towing boat and carried passengers until entering the Charleston Navy Yard for repairs 19 September 1918. Hobcaw was returned to her owner 18 November 1918.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (firstname.lastname@example.org)