From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
A former name retained: one of three sisters, Stheno, Eurayle [sic; Euryale], and Medusa, with snaky hair, who turned the beholder to stone.
(SP - 2164: dp. 732; l. 112'; b. 30'; dr. 15'6"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 27; a. none)
Gorgona was built in 1915 by the Staten Island Steam Boat Co., Staten Island, N.Y.; she was commissioned 23 July 1917 at Portsmouth, Va., Ens. T. Gustav Freudendorf in command.
After fitting out at Arundel Cove, Md., until 21 October, Gorgona served with the Atlantic Fleet out of Norfolk, towing target rafts for fleet gunnery practice. She remained on this duty until 24 January 1919 when she sailed to Guantanamo, Cuba, where she towed target rafts for Batteship [sic; Battleship] Forces 1 and 2. From there she sailed to New Orleans, towing two barges on her return, and on 5 April she departed Cuba for Norfolk.
Brief duty at New York, on the Potomac River torpedo range. and at Norfolk ended 4 June when Gorgona departed Hoboken, N.J., for the Panama Canal. Arriving at Coco Solo, C.Z., she decommissioned 20 June 1919 and was turned over to the Panama Canal authority.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (email@example.com)