From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
Harvard, a college founded at Cambridge, Mass., in 1636, was named for John Harvard, a general benefactor. Opened in 1638, Harvard University now includes a large group of graduate and professional schools as well as the college and is one of the world's leading educational institutions.
(SP - 209: dp. 804; l. 243'; b. 32'; dr. 12'6"; s. 12 k.; a. 4 3-pdr.)
The second Harvard, a steel yacht, was built as Eleanor by Bath Iron Works, Bath, Maine, in 1904 and leased as Wacouta by the Navy from G. F. Baker, New York, N.Y., 23 April 1917. Wacouta was renamed Harvard and commissioned 10 May 1917 at New York, Lt. A. G. Sterling in command.
After being fitted out for overseas service, Harvard departed New York 9 June 1917 with a convoy, and arrived at Brest, France, 4 July. She then engaged in patrol duties out of Brest, and on 16 July picked up 59 survivors from the ill-fated British steamship Trelissick. Trelissick had been torpedoed and sunk 15 July, after having rescued some 30 men from another torpedoed British ship, Exford, the day before. Harvard returned the survivors from both ships safely to Brest.
Continuing her duties around Brest, Harvard performed as a harbor patrol and coastal convoy ship. She assisted the torpedoed merchantman Texas 29 November 1917 and searched for survivors of the sinking of Hundaago, a Norwegian steamship, 4 August 1918.
Harvard departed for England 21 November 1918 and remained there until June 1919, when she returned to New York via Bermuda. The yacht was decommissioned and turned over to her owner 26 July 1919.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (email@example.com)