From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
A flowering plant of a genus closely related to the iris.
(SP - 184: t. 43; l. 68'8"; b. 14'5"; dr. 2'7"; s. 10 k.; a. 1 1-pdr, 1 mg.)
Gladiola, a yacht used as a motor patrol boat, was built in 1911 by the Hudson Yacht & Building Co. of Nyack, N.Y. She was acquired by the Navy from Coburn Haskell, 17 April 1917; and commissioned 1 May 1917, Ens. John S. Baker, USNRF, in command.
Gladiola was operational control of the 5th Naval District and served in the Norfolk-Hampton Roads, Va., area as a Naval Port Guard craft and as a customs boat. She decommissioned and was simultaneously returned to her owner 25 February 1919.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (firstname.lastname@example.org)