From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
A cossack headman.
(SP - 1150: dp. 20; l. 60'; b. 10'; dr. 22"; s. 28 k.; a. 1 3-pdr.)
Hetman, a small motor boat, was built in 1917 by Greenort Basin & Construction Co., Greenpoint, Long Island, for the Russian Government, but purchased by the Navy from the builder in August 1917. Originally delegated simply #277, her name was changed to Hetman and she commissioned 24 October 1917, Chief Boatswain Mate C. A. Dale, USNRF, commanding.
Assigned to the 3d Naval District, Hetman was used as a patrol boat in New York harbor until her departure for Miami 20 November 1917. Travelling the inland route, she arrived Beaufort, N.C., 30 November and Naval Station, Miami, Fla., 15 December. There Hetman took up duties which consisted of towing disabled seaplanes in Biscayne Bay and occasionally assisting in salvage work.
Taken to Key West Naval Station after the close of the war, Hetman was offered for sale in May 1919, and finally sold to C. J. Haskell of New York City 1 March 1921.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (firstname.lastname@example.org)