From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
Riette was built during 1916 by Twentieth Century Yacht, Launch, & Engine Co. of Morris Heights, N.Y., as the wooden private boat Amalia III; acquired 19 May 1917 for U.S. Navy service under her second mercantile name Riette from her owner Dr. George G. Shelton of Ridgefield, Conn.; and commissioned 5 August 1917 at New York Navy Yard, BMC Joseph McCaffrey in command.
Riette served as a patrol vessel at Base No. 3, Port Jefferson in late 1917 and Base No. 2, Black Rock, Conn., during May to July 1918. From 13 August 1918 she was based at Iona Island, N.Y., going out of commission 14 August 1919 upon completion of special service for the machinery division, New York Navy Yard. Riette was sold 30 October 1919 at Brooklvn, N.Y., to H. H. Miller of Brooklyn. Re-engined in 1922 and 1930, Riette remained on yacht registers until 1958.