(SP-1003; t. 4; 1. 39'0'; b. 9'0"; dr. 3'3"; s. 13 k.; 1 mg.)
The third Albatross (SP-1003)-a wooden-hulled motor launch built in 1912 by the Adams Shipbuilding Co., East Boothbay, Maine-was acquired by the Navy under a free lease from John R. Rothery of Boston, Mass., for service during World War 1. Fitted o ut at the Portsmouth (N.H.) Navy Yard and commissioned there on 10 August 1917, the vessel was assigned to the lst Naval District in which she served as a section patrol boat until February 1919. Following a period in lay-up, Albatross was returne d to her owner on 1 May 1919.