From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
(Str: d. 14,995; l. 401'; b. 54'3"; dph. 32'9"; dr. 26'; s. 10 k.; cpl. 53)
Hisko, a tanker (#1953), was built by the Chester Ship Building Co., Chester, Pa., and launched 15 October 1917. Acquired by the Navy from the U.S. Shipping Board, she commissioned 6 December 1917 at Philadelphia, Lt. Comdr. Louis E. Congdon in command.
After two short runs from New York to Hampton Roads, Hisko sailed for England on 26 January 1918, arriving in Plymouth, through severe winter storms on 12 February. She returned to New York on 8 March. In the following year and a half, the tanker made 11 similar voyages carrying fuel oil to American ships in such scattered points as Devonport, Brest, the Canal Zone, Ponta Delgada, Glasgow, and Newfoundland. Hisko took on oil at New York for most of this period, although she did make three trips to the Gulf of Mexico to load fuel at Port Arthur, Tex., and Baton Rouge, La. Several ships in her convoys, including a French cruiser, were torpedoed by German U-boats, but Hisko escaped unscathed with her valuable cargo.
Hisko returned to New York from her final overseas trip on 28 September 1919. She decommissioned there 1 October 1919 and was returned to the U.S. Shipping Board.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (firstname.lastname@example.org)