From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
Former name retained.
(Str: d. 6.600; l. 313'6"; b. 46'; dr. 20'8"; s. 9 k.; cpl. 65)
Hilton (No. 1574) was built by the Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Co. in 1911 and chartered from A. H. Bull Steamship Co., New York, by the Army in September 1917. A year later she was acquired by the Navy, and commissioned at Cardiff, Wales, on 6 November 1918, Lt. Comdr. Walter L. Farnsworth in command.
Out of Cardiff, Hilton delivered two cargos [sic; cargoes] in France - to Bordeaux early in December and St. Nazaire in January. She returned to Cardiff and went on to Southampton to load, sailing for home 6 March.
Hilton arrived Hampton Roads 27 March and decommissioned there 16 April 1919, being redelivered to her owners.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (firstname.lastname@example.org)