From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
Former name retained.
Elsie III (No. 708), a motorboat, purchased by the Navy, was placed in service on 30 June 1917 and assigned to the 1st Naval District where she performed despatch, guard, patrol, towing, and transport duties. On 21 April 1919 she was transferred to the Coast and Geodetic Survey Bureau.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (email@example.com)