From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
The name of a fast 49-gun British frigate captured and destroyed in a half-hour battle by U.S. frigate Constitution 19 August 1812. This celebrated victory fired the nation with fresh confidence and courage at the outset of the War of 1812.
(ScSlp: l. 319'3"; b. 46'; dr. 17'11"; s. 13 k.; a. 2 100-pdrs., 1 60-pdr., 4 20-pdr., 6 9" )
The second Guerriere launched 9 September 1865 in the Boston Navy Yard and commissioned 21 May 1867, Comdr. Thomas Corbin, in command. She sailed from New York 28 June 1867 to serve as flagship of the South Atlantic Squadron protecting American commerce and interests along the coast of South America. She was relieved as flagship by Lancaster 17 June 1869 and sailed from Rio de Janeiro the 25th for the New York Navy Yard where she decommissioned 29 July 1869.
Guerriere recommissioned at New York 10 August 1870. At Portsmouth, N.H., 27 September, she received the body of the late Admiral David G. Farragut for transport to New York. The following day she went fast aground on Great Point, Nantucket Shoales [sic; Shoals] and transferred Admiral Farragut's remains to merchant steamer Island Home. She got afloat 1 October 1870 and continued to New York the following day.
Guerriere departed New York 17 December 1870 for Lisbon, thence past Gibraltar for cruising with the Mediterranean Squadron. On 7 April 1871 she was host to the Bashaw of Tripoli who inspected the ship and presented Guerriere's captain with the anchor of the frigate Philadelphia. This anchor had laid on the beach for more than half a century after the destruction of the frigate in Tripoli Harbor by Captain Stephen Decatur in "the most bold and daring act of the age." From Tripoli the sloop cruised to the ports of Egypt, Lebanon, Italy and France. On 1 December 1871 she stood out of Villefranche with the remains of Major General Anderson, which were transferred to Army authorities off Fort Monroe, Va., 6 February 1872. She remained at Norfolk until 10 March, then sailed for the New York Navy Yard where she decommissioned 22 March 1872. She was laid up in ordinary there until 12 December 1872 when she was sold to D. Buchler of New York.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (email@example.com)