From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
A city and lake in New York State.
ScSlp.: t. 1,395 l. 228' b. 38'5"
dr. 15' s. 10 k. a. 2 x 11" sb., 1 x 8" sb.,
3 x 20-pdr. r.
The first Canandaigua , a screw sloop, was launched 28 March 1862 by Boston Navy Yard, and commissioned 1 August 1862, Commander J. F. Green in command.
Canandaigua reported to the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron off Charleston, S.C., 26 August 1862, adding to the power to isolate the Confederacy from overseas supplies, one of the Navy's several decisive contributions to Union victory. Off Charleston on 15 May 1863 Canandaigua took the sloop Secesh; later she destroyed another blockade runner, and aided in the capture of a schooner and a steamer in the same area.
In addition to blockading, Canandaigua cooperated with Army forces taking part in the long series of attacks on positions in Charleston harbor during 1863 and 1864 On 17 February 1864 she rescued 150 of the crew of Housatonic when that ship fell victim to the historic attack of the Confederate submarine H. L. Hunley.
Canandaigua sailed for the Boston Navy Yard 26 March 1865, and was decommissioned there 8 April 1865. Recommissioned 22 November 1865, Canandaigua cruised on the European station until February 1869, when she began 3 years of repairs at New York Navy Yard. She was renamed Detroit 15 May 1869, but returned to her original name 10 August 1869.
Her last cruise, 1872-1875, was in the West Indies and Gulf of Mexico with the North Atlantic Station's detachment there. Out of commission at Norfolk Navy Yard after 8 November 1875, she remained in ordinary until broken up in 1884.
Transcribed by: firstname.lastname@example.org
HTML conversion by: epm
Date: 14 Mar 1999