From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
Boston is the capital of Massachusetts.
(Sip: T. 700; l. 127'; b. 33'9"; dr. 16'; s. 11 k.; cpl. 125; a. 20 24-pdr. S. B.; cl. Boston)
The fourth Boston, an 18-gun sloop-of-war, was launched 15 October 1825 by Boston Navy Yard and commissioned the following year, Master Commandant B. V. Hoffman in command.
Boston served on the Brazil Station (1826-29) and Mediterranean Station (1830-32). She was then laid up at Boston Navy Yard until joining the West Indies Squadron in 1836. Except for two short periods in ordinary at New York Navy Yard she served continuously for the next ten years. Boston cruised on the West Indies (1836-39), East Indies (1841-43), and Brazil (1843-46) Stations, returning to the United States in 1846. She was then ordered to join Commodore D. Conner's Home Squadron blockading the Mexican east coast. While enroute to her new station Boston was wrecked on Eleuthera Island, Bahamas, during a squall 15 November 1846. Although the sloop was a total loss, all hands were saved.