From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
A wreath made of branches, flowers, or leaves. Garlands were awarded to the victor in the ancient games.
(Bark: t. 243; l. 92'5"; b. 24'4"; dr. 12'2"; a. none)
The first Garland was a bark built at Quincy, Mass., in 1815 for service as a privateer. She was rebuilt at New Bedford, Mass., in 1845 and purchased by the Navy there 28 October 1861 for the "Stone Fleet." However, she was not used as an obstruction but transferred to the Army Quartermaster Department at Hilton Head, S.C., 7 January 1862 for service as a supply ship.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (firstname.lastname@example.org)