From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
In Greek mythology, the daughter of Agamemnon and Clytemnestra. Also, a star.
(Bark: t. 248; l. 100'; b. 25'; dph. 11'; cpl. 21; a. 2 guns)
The first Electra was built as the bark Rolla in 1843 at Philadelphia, Pa.; purchased by the Navy 15 January 1847; renamed Electra at the time of her purchase; fitted for sea at New York Navy Yard; and commissioned 19 March 1847, Lieutenant T. W. Hunt in command.
Electra sailed from New York 4 April 1847 to join the Home Squadron in the Gulf of Mexico for service in the Mexican War. She arrived at Anton Lizardo 4 May and until 18 September 1848 served as a storeship, delivering provisions and supplies to ships of her squadron. At the close of the war she assisted in bringing home surplus supplies. She arrived at New York 7 October 1848, was decommissioned 27 October, and sold in the following November.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (email@example.com)